Too Little, Too Late

The Little Mermaid

Too Little, Too Late

 
 
 

The moment G.O was done with his chore, he stepped out of the shop only to be cornered by a young lady who was coming his way.

 

 

The moment he locked eyes with the stranger, on the other side of town, Syrena gasped out of her sleep with a sudden pain that struck inside her heart, making her feel sick for a moment as she called out G.O’s name.

 

She looked around and saw that he wasn’t here. She tried to get out of bed but stumbled with the covers making her fall on the floor. The sudden thud alarmed the boys as they were already awake and ran to their friend’s bedroom to see what had happened.

 

Syrena found herself getting back up on her feet with still this tugging pain in her heart making her uncomfortable.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Lifting her head up, she saw Seungho looking back at her, worried. “Hmm, not really… Where’s Byunghee?”

 

“He left like an hour ago, why?”

 

“D-did he say where he was going?”

 

“No; he just called to let me know that he was out. You don’t look so well, is there anything that we can do until he comes back?”

 

“My heart… S-something’s wrong and I don’t k-know what it is. I-I need my mother I need to see her.”

 

 

Thanks to the card that she received, Syrena was able to contact her mother and now was waiting for her at the park where they met just two days ago.

 

She was sitting on the same bench waiting for the older woman until she heard her name being called out. She looked up and saw her mother walking towards her. Syrena got up and joined her half way until they were standing in front of each other.

 

“What’s the matter? You seemed scared on the phone, is everything okay?”

 

“I don’t know…”

 

“Talk to me, what’s going on?”

 

“There’s something going on and it’s hurting me but I can’t put my finger on it, I can’t figure out what the problem is… I need your help, please.”

 

They took back their seat on the bench with Syrena facing her mother waiting for a proper answer on the estrange situation. “Mother… I’m not feeling well and I’m afraid it has something to do with Byunghee…”

 

“Why would you think that?”

 

“I-I don’t know… Just a hunch I guess…”

 

“Why don’t I take you back to the hospital for some check up? I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about. It could may even be your father who’s trying to call you but because you’ve been human for a while now, the calling is faint.”

 

“What makes you think so?”

 

The mother took a moment to herself before looking back at her daughter, deeply breathing out. “It happened to me too…”

 

Syrena only nodded, remembering the nights she had after the supposed passing of her mother and how she kept crying her name out hoping to have her back. “Let’s go to the hospital then, maybe you’re right…”

 

 

A few hours passed and nobody had news of G.O.

 

The boys and even the managers tried to call him but there wasn’t any answer.

 

As for Syrena, she came back with that same hunch growing stronger; she could feel that something wasn’t right and with the sudden coincidence of G.O not being back, she couldn’t help but think that something might have happened to him.

 

Over and over again, she kept looking at the time and the hours were running out. Night was coming meaning that the full moon was right behind the corner and yet, there wasn’t any way to permanently fix her.

 

“Something’s wrong, I’m sure of it.”

 

She got up from the couch and made her way to the main door before being stopped by the boys who wanted to know where she was going. “I need to find him-”

 

“Why are you worrying so much? He’s going to come back-”

 

“No he’s not! Something happened and I know he needs me! I have to save him!”

 

“Save him from what?”

 

“From my mistake.”

 

She didn’t give time for the others to answer and quickly stormed out of the dorm as she ran down the stairs and quickly walked out of the building only to be hit by the rain that was pouring down the city. ‘Great.’

 

She stood still and closed her eyes, trying to focus on G.O and see if she could sense anything from him. Placing her hands over her stomach, she fisted her hands through yet another one of his dress shirt and started to quietly hum their melody, hoping that it would give her some idea on what happened to him.

 

Come on, don’t let me down; I know you can hear me…

 

She tried to tap into her mermaid side and come in contact with the sea but with the seconds that passed, all she could get was a faint feeling of distress. It wasn’t enough, but it was a good starting point. ‘I need to save him.

 

She didn’t know in which direction the closest river was and had no choice but to go back up and ask for one of the boys to drive her.

 

“Can one of you bring me to the closest river? I know where Byunghee is and if I’m right, we don’t have much time.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I don’t have time to explain; can one of you help me or not?”

 

Hearing the urgent tone in her voice, Seungho was the one to quickly act out as he grabbed onto his keys and followed Syrena as quickly as possible. “What’s going on? What aren’t you telling us?”

 

“Byunghee is in danger and he needs my help.”

 

“What do you mean in danger?!” Seungho hasn’t even driven out of the parking lot, too shocked about what Syrena just said. “I don’t have time to explain! Now hurry before it’s too late!”

 

Not giving him much of a choice, he quickly drove a way and brought her to the Han river, at the same spot where she usually meets G.O. “Go and find my mother, tell her to come here; she’ll know what to do.”

 

She handed him the card that was in her pocket and jumped out of the car as she ran towards the shore. Not wasting any more time, she jumped into the water, turning her back into a mermaid within the next second. From there, she quickly dived into the water and hurried in her swim as she made her way back to the Death Valley, hoping that she was right about her instincts.

 

By the time she had arrived, she was already calling out to him while she was looking around the familiar space hoping to see him somewhere.

 

“Well, well, well, it was about time you showed up~”

 

She turned around and saw the Evil Queen slowly swimming towards her making the mermaid back up until she hit something behind her trapping her in the process. “Where is he? I know he’s here.”

 

“Not so quick dearie, you have something that belongs to me now -”

 

“It’s not time yet!”

 

“Oh yes it is; the moon is already up in the sky and I’m still waiting on my part of the deal. You failed to get what I asked you and now you have to pay.”

 

She saw the shell that the old one was holding in her hand and she gulped at the sight while thinking of a way out. “Don’t even think about running away. If you do, your dear lover gets to bite the dust.”

 

“Then tell me where he is!”

 

“See for yourself~” Turning her head towards the entrance of her lair, Syrena quickly swam inside and gasped when she saw G.O stuck inside a cage with the water slowly starting to rise, ready to suffocate him. With all the energy she had, she started hitting the glass hoping it would break but grew desperate with no result happening. She turned around to look at the Evil Queen and begged her to free him.

 

“Just let him go! He has nothing to do with this! Please!”

 

“Then honor the deal and he’s free to go.” Once again the cursed shell came to her view cutting her breath short. She glanced back at G.O who was looking back at her while begging for her to escape. Biting her bottom lip, she grazed over the glass before turning back to the Queen agreeing on her request.

 

“Let him go first.”

 

The Queen through the shell towards Syrena who caught it in her hands as she watched G.O get freed. The moment he was out of his cage, she quickly grabbed onto his hand and threw the shell back at the Queen trying to aim for her heart. Unfortunately for the mermaid, the Queen was to quick, knowing exactly that she was going to be tricked and attacked Syrena by throwing another one of her lighting bolt, making her let go of G.O.

 

The shell was on the ground and the Queen quickly picked it up, ready to throw it towards the boy and the moment it was coming his way, Syrena quickly pushed him out of the way only to have it caught right on her heart, attaching itself to her skin.

 

The sudden impact got her thrown back against the wall and with G.O losing his air, the next thing he knew, he got thrown out only to find himself surfacing back up to the Han River. Quickly looking around he realized where he was and as she heard his name being called he saw, not to far away, Seungho along with Syrena’s mother on the other side.

 

Once he was close enough, he got helped out of the water as he coughed for some air, still in shock on what happened since this morning. “Where’s Syrena?” Looking up at her mother, he only shock his head, letting her know that something had happened. “S-shell a-and Q-Queen-“

 

“Damn it! I can’t go back in; I don’t have that power anymore. She needs her father and even at that, I can barely get in touch with him-”

 

“Just try! Please! She’s dying right at this moment, I can’t lose her!”

 

 

Back under the water, Syrena was starting to feel weak. Her breathing got heavier and slower, she felt numb all over her body and barely had the energy of letting her eyes open or even move a muscle.

 

The Evil Queen, highly satisfied about finally getting what she wanted, couldn’t hide her delight in front of the little mermaid while she was dying in front of her.

 

“Ah~ I’m so glad we were able to fix this after all, isn’t that just wonderful, my dear?”

 

Syrena tried to speak up but could barely get a whisper out of with the her essence being out of her so drastically. Despite her situation, all she could think about was G.O and wondered if he was safe back on the surface. Letting go of her hold onto the shell, her hands fell on her stomach as she lightly grazed the skin while leaning her head back with her eyes closed, wishing for this to end since the pain was becoming unbearable.

 

She could feel her life slip away and knowing that she was going to lose G.O wasn’t making things more easier for her; she was afraid that he would hate her once she was gone, blaming her for abandoning him like her mother abandoned her.

 

“Syrena!”

 

By the tone of the male voice, she knew that it was her father. She tried to open her eyes but her vision was a simple blur, but it still made her see what was going on in front of her with the Evil Queen being suddenly attacked by her father with some warriors by his side.

 

She could barely stay awake now and all she heard before slipping out was the snickering laugh of the Evil Queen saying that it was too late to save her.

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes:

Dum dum dum! *dramatic music*

Well looks like things got a turn for the worse >.<

What do you think is going to happen in the next chapter? (being it's final one.)

 

P.S - Sorry for the suspense~

 

Lots of love, xo