Chapter 5

Heterochromia

The next day, both Howon and Raejin didn’t show up at school. A part of him expected it, but it doesn’t make things anywhere better.

“Still no answer?” Woohyun asked as they walked home. He sighed depressingly and nodded, Sunggyu patting him comfortingly on the back. School had ended and the three of them were walking together – just like the old times, back when Dongwoo still haven’t met his soul mates.

He couldn’t help but feel a little guilty about being disappointed, despite it being a while since he spent time with his best friends.

“I’m worried… just what the hell is going on?” he sighed, staring wistfully up in the sky. This was the first time that he and his soul mates had been apart for more than a day, and he finds himself missing his pretty doll’s perkiness and optimism and his purple-loving bear’s sweetness and criticisms.

Woohyun and Sunggyu exchanged glances.

“So Woo,” Sunggyu started, throwing an arm around his shoulders and smiling wide at him. “Hyun and I found this cute cat café down town and had been meaning to bring you there – what do you say?” Dongwoo blinked at the other, before moving his gaze at Woohyun who was smiling expectantly at him.

He was speechless, and could only let a small soft smile show on his face as he let himself be dragged by the two – deciding to momentarily throw his worries in the back of his mind and enjoy his best friends company.

-

“God that tickles!” Dongwoo giggled as he let a kitten climb from his lap towards his shoulders, the claws digging on his shirt and skin and tickling him in the process. Woohyun only laughed at him while Sunggyu beside him on the other hand was busy trying to get the feline resting on top of his head and swatting on his bangs. He released another giggle as the kitten reached his destination and nuzzled his face on his neck.

“You annoying little-OW OW OW!” Sunggyu exclaimed as he finally had enough and decided to grab the cat, the animal resisting and dug its claws on the other’s head. Dongwoo laughed at the elder’s situation while the other’s soul mate was already rolling on the floor in laughter, the other cats looking at him in interest.

“Sure, laugh all you want.” Sunggyu scoffed, before turning to the cat in his arms and lightly shook it. “And you little devil, you sure have guts.” The cat only meowed back and raised a paw, lightly touching the other’s nose. The man only scrunched his face and brought the cat back down on the ground.

“Aw,” Dongwoo cooed, making faces at the older. “Is our old hamster scared of a small cat?” Sunggyu scowled at him and threw the first thing his hand held on – which was a tissue rack. He only laughed harder as he dodged it.

“!” Woohyun suddenly exclaimed, immediately sitting up from where he was laid on the floor and roughly pulled on Dongwoo’s arm. “Isn’t that Howon and Raejin?”

This caught his attention as he followed where the younger’s hand was pointed at. True enough, on the other side of the shop’s glass window stood his two soul mates, back turned against them and seemingly in a deep conversation.

Out of his better judgment, he immediately bolted up and thumped on the glass, surprising the two on the other side and turn to look at him. Their reactions were instant – their faces drained of every color as they both stood rooted on the spot in shock. They only snapped out of it when they saw him bolt out of the shop to approach them.

Dongwoo couldn’t help the frustrated groan that slipped out of his throat as he watched the two persons he loved turn their backs on him and run away in panic. He frustratingly punched the glass window as he slid on the ground, his tears sliding along with him on his face.

Not even Woohyun or Sunggyu could do anything to stop his cries.