Chapter 4

Heterochromia

There was something amiss, Dongwoo mussed as walked towards the cafeteria for lunch, but no matter how much he thought about it nothing comes to mind. He already checked his bag multiple times in case he forgot something and even his homework – but no, it wasn’t that. It was something else. He only figured it out when he reached the cafeteria.

"Where's Raejin?" was the first thing that slipped out of his lips when he noticed Howon was alone on their usual lunch table. Of course, how could he forget? His Doll usually would be standing by his classroom’s door every morning before classes to greet him and check up if he forgot anything – much like a wife – while his bear would be leaning by the wall dozing off. That morning, there was no trace of both of his soul mates.

Howon looked up at him from his sandwich and scrunched his face. "She's not with you?" Dongwoo shook his head no and sat in front of his soul mate, placing the lunch box his mother fixed for him earlier on the table and offered it to the other, receiving a polite shake of the head in reply.

He shrugged. "Why would she be with me? The both of you always come here together."

Howon scratched his head and took a big bite on his sandwich. "That's weird... because when I arrived at her house earlier, her mother told me she was already gone. So I assumed you guys went to school together."

"But we didn't." His soul mate gave him an amused smile.

"No Woo." Dongwoo frowned at him.

"Aren't you even worried?" Now this managed to catch Howon's attention as he stared stupefied at Dongwoo. Surprised at the other's reaction, he too only stared at the other man.

Silence wrapped around the two, tension so thick anyone could cut it with a butter knife. Dongwoo didn't even know where it came from. A few minutes passed like this before Howon abruptly stood up, giving Dongwoo some lame excuse and left immediately. The other even left his sandwich behind that was only bitten once.

Dongwoo stared at Howon's diminishing form in confusion and a little hurt.

The other never left food behind – or him.

-

The bell rang loudly, signaling the end of the day’s classes. For the first time, Dongwoo found himself leaving the school alone and with no other plans than to go straight home and work on his assignments. It doesn’t even get better to think that for the whole day, he hasn’t seen even a shadow of Reajin – and don’t even get him started with Howon.

The last time he saw the man was during lunch, and to think the other even left him prematurely. Having remembered that the other hadn’t finished his lunch, he decided to drop by Howon’s classroom with a pack of red bean paste bread and a bottle of water in hand for his dear bear – only to be thoroughly disappointed when he was informed the other went home due to a headache.

Earlier, just before he went out of the classroom; he cornered Sunggyu and invited him and his soul mate to walk home together. And like a reminder of how ty this day was for him, the older gave him an apologetic smile and said he and his younger soul mate planned on going on a date that day. So unless he wants to be a third wheel – which he doesn't – he had no choice but to walk home alone.

This day had been really weird. Aside from the questionable actions of Howon, there was also that mysterious disappearance of his Doll. The last time he saw her was yesterday when all three of them were discussing about the talk he had with his parents. She had been fine that day with no hints of any sickness whatsoever so he could confidently say her absence wasn't because of a sickness.

Then what was it about? As much as he'd like personally ask it from her he can’t, she doesn’t answer any of his calls and he also doesn’t know where she lives. It was only at that moment that he realized he didn't know where both his soul mates lived. That was also another thing weighing down on him now, what kind of a soul mate is he if he doesn't even know where his soul mates addresses are? And now that he thought about it, he doesn't even know when their birthdays are, or what their favorite colors are, or what food do they prefer or even if they really did come from Busan (He noticed the both of them had a distinct accent that slips from time to time) heck, he doesn't even know how both Howon and Raejin met!

Dongwoo hung his head low as he bit on his lip to stop his tears from flowing. He was a trashy soul mate, he doesn’t even know these little things about his partners yet he knows that both Howon and Raejin know a lot – almost everything actually – about him.

Guess it was just right that he was alone now. Because, aside from how he could freely cry, he knows he deserves this for being such an inattentive soul mate. He wouldn’t even bat an eyelash if both Howon and Raejin left him; although it sure would hurt like hell.

The moment he arrived home, he ignored both of his parents and locked himself in his room. His parent’s couldn’t help but look at each other with sad expressions, if what they thought was right then indeed everything was happening too fast – just like what he said.


A/N: Uhhhh…. /fidgets in place/ Comments…? /runs away to the hills/