Chapter 3

Heterochromia

It had been two months in their relationship when Dongwoo finally had the courage to tell his parents about it. The Jang family was eating dinner together when he broke the news.

“I found my soul mate.” It was a simple sentence and the reaction was immediate.

“WHAT? WHEN? HOW?” that was his mother.

“Hahaha is she a pretty lady like your mother?” that was his father.

Dongwoo only shook his head at his parents before swallowing the piece of kimbap he was eating. “It was during the first day of school, Umma. We met on the way to the school and at the cafeteria.”

His mother immediately gushed and told him he should invite him or her. Dongwoo only smiled, not knowing how to break it up to her that she would be inviting him and her.

It was his father who gave the opportunity. “And, son? What, you have two soul mates to meet at two different places?” His father laughed at his joke, Dongwoo’s mother joining him. But Dongwoo only released a strained laugh and avoided their eyes.

“Wait… I was right?” his father blinked, silence surrounded the table as the two adults waited for any form of conformation. Dongwoo fiddled with his hands before facing his parents.

“That was what I wanted to talk to you about," Dongwoo started. His parents remained silent and Dongwoo took this as a cue to continue. “You see, I don’t know if this is even possible but I have two soul mates.” He decided to be frank on the matter, finding no other way of sugar coating it.

To his surprise, his parents shared a look and a smile bloomed on both their faces before his mother turned to him. “Tell me, honey. Which of the three of you has the same placement of eye colors and who has the opposite?” Dongwoo tilted his head in confusion before scrunching his face and think.

“Now that you think about it, their eye colors have the same placement – their eyes are the opposite of mine.”

“So you meant to say, both of your soul mate’s left eyes are green and their right eyes are purple right?” Dongwoo nodded and his parents shared another look. Now this really made Dongwoo curious.

“I-is there something I need to know?” Dongwoo asked, the continued looks his parents gave each other making him curious as hell. His parents looked at each other again, this time slowly making him annoyed, before his mother looked back at him.

"By any chance, dear, were your soulmates a girl and a boy?" Dongwoo nodded reluctantly, eyeing the soft and understanding smile on both his parents' lips. “Who do you love more?” The question took him by surprise.

“What?”

“Out of your two soul mates – who do you love more?” his mother repeated.

Dongwoo looked at her in confusion.

“What do you mean more? I love them both equally.” He answered. His mother only shook her head at him and his father chuckled.

“You see Dongwoo, it’s not possible to have two soul mates. You do know that right?” his father explained. Dongwoo widen his eyes, having completely forgotten about that. It was a known fact that for every person, there can only be one soul mate for him/her. It was a fact that everyone knew since birth – a fact that Dongwoo had forgotten entirely.

Dongwoo bit his lips and hesitantly nodded. He felt a hand ruffle on his hair and looked up to meet his father’s understanding gaze. “Don’t feel guilty, okay? I think it’s normal because – like you said – you love both of your soul mates very much.” Dongwoo nodded and smiled a little bit, feeling a little calm after his father ruffled his hair.

“Although you are aware that you have to choose between the two of them right? You can’t keep them forever – you have to give the other to someone that would really treasure him or her.” His mother said and Dongwoo’s eyes widened in alarm. He had to give up one? But he couldn't imagine his life without the other! But more importantly…

“Why do I have to choose?” Dongwoo asked. Both his parents looked at each other again before they both released a sigh.

“Honey,” her mother started, moving her chair beside Dongwoo and she took his head and rested it on the crook of her neck, her hands on his head and combing through his hair. “If you hadn’t noticed, you’re their opposite. You say their eyes have the same placement right? Then that means they both aren’t really each other’s soul mate, but they are your soul mate. Do you get what I mean?”

“No, I don’t understand,” Dongwoo croaked, getting closed to tears.

Her mother chuckled lightly before planting a kiss on the top of his head.

“I don’t really expect you to understand it now, it’s still too soon. But rest assured all will be explained in due time.” Dongwoo snuggled deeper in his mother’s embrace and breathed in her signature scent.

“I think I don’t ever want that to happen,” Dongwoo muttered, feeling a lot more troubled and pressured than before.

“Although I think you don’t have to worry too much, son. When these things happen, which is more than rare, the opposite usually ends up with the woman.” His father laughed and Dongwoo doesn’t know if that’s supposed to reassure him, because the opposite is happening. He finds he favors his purple-loving bear much more than his pretty doll.

A certain thought crossed the dino’s mind and shrugged his father’s earlier comment, turning his head to look at both his parents.”How do you know about all this?” he asked, his eyes judging.

Both his parents looked at each other and they both smiled simultaneously, a secretive one like they both hold the secrets to all mysteries of the world.

“Because the same thing happened to us.”

---

“-was what they said,” Dongwoo finished. It was a Saturday and the three of them were back at the coffee shop they first went to. Both Howon and Raejin looked at him skeptically while sipping their drinks respectively.

“You can’t be serious right?” Howon asked, one of his bushy eyebrows raised and disappeared over his brown locks. Dongwoo really can’t help but wonder how someone with those thick eyebrows can still look so cute and cuddly. Dongwoo sighed and nodded before he started playing with his straw, bending the part that is visible left and right.

“So does that mean Howon and I have to fight for you?” Raejin confirmed.

Dongwoo bit his bottom lip and hesitantly nodded, not meeting any of their eyes.

“Then I guess I already win? With what your father said and all.” Raejin said with a feeling that Dongwoo couldn’t identify. Was that happiness or sadness? Either way, he doesn’t like the way that sounded.

He sighed loudly and slumped on his seat, resting his head on the table and his head facing to his right – to where Howon was currently seated. “Why is this so complicated? Why can’t you two be just my soul mates so that we can get it over with?” the dino whined, grabbing Howon’s Iced Americano and started playing with its straw – the owner himself letting him be, contenting himself in just staring the dino.

“Your father is right you know? You – we can only have one soul mate. It’s just how things are and will stay that way," Reajin said with a resigned sigh, not really keen on the idea of having to fight with Howon – or the possibility of losing either one of them.

Howon took one of Dongwoo’s hands away from his drink and held it against his cheeks, the coldness of it from the drink making him flinch a little and close his eyes out of reflex. “We shouldn’t worry too much about it; your mother did say it’s still early right?” Howon opened his eyes and took Dongwoo’s hand away from his cheeks, his hands threading through the gaps before he placed it back to his cheeks and looked at Raejin. “So how about we just enjoy each other’s company for the time being until the ‘right time’ comes, how about it?” He suggested. Dongwoo can’t see Reajin’s reaction, since he was still facing Howon, but he could imagine Reajin smiling at that.

“You have a point. Let’s just not worry about all those things – because as far as I’m concerned, the both of you are my soul mates.” Raejin replied and a surge of pride threatened to burst through Dongwoo’s heart. He was really lucky to have Raejin and Howon in his life, and a life without either one of them was something Dongwoo couldn’t really imagine.

“I really love the both of you.” Dongwoo said out of the blue, standing straight and never taking his hands away from Howon’s hold and cheeks. Both his soul mates looked at him in surprise – because their Doll was the one who always initiated these kinds of declarations – before their eyes soften considerably and they smiled lovingly at Dongwoo.

“I love you all too,” They both said at the same time and Howon kissed Dongwoo in the lips for the very first time. It was nothing much, just a soft pressing of both lips but it still took Dongwoo’s breath away. Especially at the beautiful and wide smile the other gave him after.

“That’s unfair, Howon! You got to kiss him first! And it was also your first kiss…” Raejin mumbled under her breath, crumpling a piece of tissue in her fists and throwing it at Howon’s face – who only laughed loudly as he dodge the tissue ball, his hands never letting go of Dongwoo’s.

Dongwoo blinked at the two of them. “Wait… you both still haven’t had your first kiss?” Howon nodded while Raejin shook her head.

“I already had mine before I met Howon, it was a dare.” Raejin shrugged. Dongwoo nodded and looked at Howon in surprise.

“How come you still haven’t had yours?”

Howon shrugged and started drawing small circled on the back of Dongwoo’s hand with his thumb. “Would you laugh if it’s because I want my first kiss to be my soul mate?” Dongwoo smiled fondly at the other before squeezing his hand in a comforting manner.

“Not really, that’s what I also did.” He beamed at the other and Howon can’t help but steal another kiss.

“Yeah you erted bear, that’s enough! You already took his first kiss you also had to steal his second? His third kiss is mine already.” Raejin joked but they all know she is serious, making Howon limit his kisses to his hands only.

Dongwoo laughed loudly, the first real one he has since that confrontation last night, and looked at Howon lovingly before turning his face to Raejin’s.

But to his surprise, Raejin was looking at the both of them fondly. It was actually normal since he always received that from either her or Howon but something tells him this one was diffirent.

It was not her usual ‘I’m-glad-I-have-you-two-in-my-life-gaze’ but it was actually an ‘I’m-glad-you-two-have-each-other-gaze’ and Dongwoo suddenly had a feeling something bad will happen very soon.


A/N: This is probably the longest chapter I have here and it’s also my favorite. I noticed a lot of you had different questions so I decided to release this chapter earlier than what I have planned. Hope this explained and if it didn’t or you want some clarifications, don’t hesitate to drop them down below the comment box :)

Well, I hope you enjoyed this and tell me what you think~

Edited by rumourhasit12~