vi.

In Retrospect

AKqcp5o.png

 

A week has passed and the amount of time Baekhyun could stay by Chanyeol’s side increased. He doesn’t disappear in the middle of the night anymore. He wakes up by Chanyeol’s side when the coughing gets too painful and Chanyeol’s knuckles turn white as he grips on his bed sheets. Baekhyun has been there, trying to look strong, and crying when he thinks the other is asleep.

 

It took a week after that, Baekhyun is finally able to convince Chanyeol to be confined in a hospital although he still refuses to have his mom informed about his health condition, saying that this isn't something serious.

 

 

Some days are spent with them joking and laughing together although the pain grows with every laugh and every smile, some days are spent with them warmly cuddling on Chanyeol’s narrow hospital bed and whispering sweet nonsense that has both of their cheeks turning into a beautiful shade of crimson, while other days are spent with heart breaks and tears.

 

 

Baekhyun watches as Chanyeol struggles to live longer. And he crumbles down even more. It feels like he is dying along with Chanyeol. And maybe that’s better. Maybe he should die with the person he loves because living in a world without the person he loves is a life not worth living.

 

 

A few days after, Baekhyun is able to call Chanyeol’s mom about his son’s health condition. His mom needs to travel for two days to arrive home and Baekhyun hoped and prayed to God for Chanyeol to stay strong until he can.

 

 

 

If not for him, then for his mom.

 

 

 

***

 

 

“Mom, I want to live longer.”

 

 

Baekhyun didn’t have the courage to step inside Chanyeol’s hospital room when he hears the man he loves and his mom crying as Chanyeol begs to let him live longer.

 

 

Baekhyun falls to his knees.

 

 

Suddenly, he feels even more scared because he knows the time is coming close but he doesn’t know when. That’s what makes him tremble more. Because he knows someday he wouldn’t see that face anymore, that face that had him screaming at the top of his lungs in annoyance, that face that had him blushing to his nose with just a simple gesture.

 

 

The face of the one and only person he fell in love with.

 

 

 

 

 

 

::

 

“You can change what happens around you, but not your destiny together. You can’t change what’s destined to happen to him.”

 

 

Baekhyun was torn between wanting to wring his seatmate’s neck for his conditions and hugging him tight for gratefulness.

 

 

 

For allowing him a second chance.

 

 

::

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

140127. 7:45AM

 

 

 

Baekhyun impatiently waits by the school gate, hand trembling and knees weakening.

 

 

Kai needs to know. They all need to know.

 

This time, they have to know.

 

Baekhyun waits and waits but no Kai appears in his sight. Instead, he sees Tao passing by him and something in the Chinese’s hand caught his eyes.

 

Tao has a new phone.

 

 

It took a few seconds with his heart falling all the way down to his toes before he wheezes around and starts running back to the hospital.

 

He needs to be by his side.

 

By Chanyeol’s side.

 

It’s today.

 

It’s today

 

 

 

**

 

 

Baekhyun’s breathing is heavy; his heart is beating fast as he stares at Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol looks up at him, a familiar red notebook on his hand.

 

 

“Chanyeol...” 

 

 

All he could do is whisper his name.

 

 

 

 

 pacxUpZ.jpg