i.

In Retrospect
 

AKqcp5o.png

 

The sound of fast and steady footsteps resounds in the empty hallways as Baekhyun walks straight to his classroom, not lifting his eyes to avoid people who know him. As he enters the main halls where all students go into, he plugs in his earphones and plays the playlist he always listens to before hugging his books tighter. He isn't an introvert; it's just that he prefers not to talk to people when it's unnecessary mostly because he is always at a loss for words. No matter how hard he tries, he ends up stuck in dead air, unable to talk more, making the conversation end in an awkward situation. Besides, he can't recognize the people around him anyway. Not that he lost his memory, no. Blurred outlines have been Baekhyun's constant companion. Wearing spectacles serves more of an annoyance than a help to him. Even after half a year of having one, he stillisn't used to wearing them. Wearing contact lenses on the other hand are considered a chore. He tried to use them for a whole week but it didn’t work out for him. Putting them on takes ages and wastes his precious time. It always bothers him.

 

Comments of being snobbish and unfriendly were thrown at him but he can't help it. A guessing game of "who is approaching" is something Baekhyun tries to face but he couldn't stand it. Baekhyun learns that it's far better to let people see that he isn't looking in their direction. Soon enough, acquaintances believedthat he just doesn't have the time.

 

 

His eyes are downcast as he enters his first period room. There are only a few students and he takes his seat at the front rows, hands automatically reaching inside his bag pack to pull out his book.

 

In his life as a college student, he has learned a lot of ways to avoid talking to people. One, put on your earphones and two, read a book; keep on reading and show that you are concentrating so that people won’t even bother talking to you. It works almost all the time. Almost. Some people are just too dense to get whatother people are trying to make them see or are just so thick skinned to actually ignore that a person is basically implying for them to mind their own business.

 

His seatmate happens to be one of them.

 

 

Baekhyun, too familiarofhis seatmate's usual ways, doesn’t even flinch or take a glance of his seatmate who makes a loud noise as he slumps down on his seat, letting his arrival be known by the rest of his classmates. Baekhyun shifts to turn away. He doesn’t have anything against the latter. It’s just that he really doesn’t want to interact with him, especially because he doesn’t need to.

 

 

Zitao is one of the loudest people Baekhyun has met. He is a very competitive person who particularly likes taking the spotlight. When he speaks, he makes sure his voice is loud enough for everyone within his vicinity to hear him. He speaks whatever is on his mind even when he knows people could possiblyget hurt by what he says. Baekhyun made the wrong decision of taking the seat beside the man oozing with confidence because he has become Zitao’s favorite person to nag. He would always immediately turn to Baekhyun to say whatever he wants to say; things he knows Baekhyun isn’t the least bit interested in. He made it obvious from the very beginning that he doesn’t like it when people keep talking to him but theChinese male still continues to do so. It was bearable at first but soon it made Baekhyun want to rip his mouth off. He doesn’t like the way Zitao talks, full of confidence, like he knows everything. His topic ranges from his personal life, to his social life, to the entertainment industry—everything that completely does not relate to Baekhyun. But what Baekhyun hates the most is when Zitao tries to talk about his not-so-secret crush.

 

 

Baekhyun turns up the volume of his iPod, just enough for his seatmate to hear, for him to know that he isn’t interested to hear whatever he has to say.

 

 

He waitsfor the usual pokes from Zitao (which he always ignores) when the latter wants to start a conversation but it doesn’t happen. It made Baekhyun curious, what miraculous thing happened for his roommate to decide not to annoy him again? He side glances his roommate and oh, a new phone.

 

 

Zitao also likes to… display his luxurious belongings.

 

 

Baekhyun is awarethat Zitao isn’t a member of a rich family so he doesn’t judge Zitao when he shows how proud he is of his high-end, top of the line, possessions. Who knows how hard he worked just to have it? He turns away again, feeling relieved that there’s something to keep his seatmate from irritating him.

 

 

 

**

 

 

“Did you hear about the news?”

 

Zitao finally speaks, not really taking his eyes off the screen of his new phone with a pink sparkling case. Baekhyun internally groans. He would ignore Zitao and act like he didn’t hear but they have their professor in front of him writing their lesson on the whiteboard, and obviously, there is no way he won’t hear his seatmate.

 

 

“Hear what?” He doesn’t stop writing down notes.

 

“Yeol. I heard he’s in the hospital.”

 

 

Baekhyun’s hand stops for a split of second, his eyes faltering in the process, before he continues writing again.

 

 

“You didn’t know huh...”

 

 

Baekhyun almost scoffs at the tone in Zitao’s voice.

 

 

He and Chanyeol have been friends for three years since their first year in college. Because of that and their closeness, people sometimes tend to tease them together—something Baekhyun can’t find the logic of. Another thing without logic is his seatmate’s belief that there really is something going on between him and Chanyeol.

 

 

Chanyeol.

Park Chanyeol.

 

 

Baekhyun doesn’t like lying when it comes to his opinion about people so if they look good then he would admit it. Park Chanyeol is one of those people he would admit to being handsome. That’s why it doesn’t surprise him when Zitao suddenly makes it too obvious to everyone that he likes Chanyeol. Baekhyun has nothing against this but it amuses him how Zitao thinks that he is trying to steal Chanyeol when all they do most of the time they meet is bicker. There is nothing sweet or romantic between them, so where do they get these assumptions? He finds it funny how Zitao thinks they’re both competing for Chanyeol’s heart.

 

 

Baekhyun doesn’t compete for something he doesn’t want.

 

 

Unconsciously, Baekhyun’s hand finds its way to his coat’s pocket, immediately fishing out his phone to open his messages.

 

 

“Are you going to text him?”

 

 

“What?” He looks up at Zitao who’s staring at his phone screen with a teasing smirk.

 

 

Baekhyun looks down at his hand that is already holding his phone. He contemplates for a short while before excusing himself and leaving the room.

 

 

*

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

 

Chanyeol?

[delete]

 

 

*

 

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

 

Yurr’a, I heard you’re in the hospital? What happened? Are you okay?

[delete]

 

 

*

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

 

Ya Park Chanyeol you still haven’t lend me your external drive. I need new movies.

[delete]

 

 

*

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

 

hey I heard you’re in the hospital? |

 

 

*

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun stares at the blinking cursor.

 

 

What are you supposed to say to a long time friendwhom you haven’t seen for weeks and didn’t try to contact at all?

 

 

Baekhyun would have used the usual sassy way of texting him but then this is his friend and this friend of his is apparently sick. He has never really been the caring friend to Chanyeol so maybe he should change that a little. There’s only a year left before they graduatein college and venture out. They probably won’t see each other ever again. A little sympathy should do for his sick friend.

 

 

He clicks ‘send’.

 

 

**

 

 

 

Baekhyun places his phone on the counter table and leans on the marble wall as he stares at his phone. Five minutes. It’s been five minutes and he hadn’t replied.

 

 

 

He’s not ignoring my text, is he?

 

 

Impossible.

 

 

Chanyeol would never ignore his texts. In fact, Chanyeol would always be the one texting him. Telling him stuff he doesn’t want to know, receiving texts even until 2am even when he doesn’t reply, getting asked about things that totally doesn’t make sense and overall getting annoyed at his friend.

 

 

But itstopped being as often as it did in the previous semester.

 

 

Last semester, they were classmates in every subject and even if they weren’t supposed to be seatmates, Chanyeol always made sure to transfer to a seat beside Baekhyun just to annoy and talk to him about things he doesn’t even like talking about. He doesn’t know where he got the patience to listen to the man endlessly telling him (or sometimes whispering to him when the teacher is lecturing) things that he, for one, isn’t even interested about. Maybe he’s just too kind and because—they are friends.

 

 

Baekhyun places both his arm on the counter, leaning forward as he stares at his reflection. His eye bags have grown worse, he hadn’t been taking care of his skin, and worse, he gained some weight which he knows would definitely be difficult to get rid of. This would definitely give Chanyeol the satisfaction of calling him what he always does—Bacon.

 

 

It was just a play of words, his name ‘Baekhyun’ being turned into a food taken from a hog’s skin—‘Bacon’. Now ‘Baekon’, as what Chanyeol calls him. Chanyeol was the first to have the courage to call him something as rude as that. He should be angry, he should. But sometimes he finds himself laughing and calling the latter ‘ugly’ in retaliation. He knows Chanyeol doesn’t get affected. Chanyeol knows he isn’t ugly.

 

 

Damn, he knows it well.

 

 

But they aren’t classmates now and they haven’t been seeing each other because of the differences in their class schedules. Baekhyun is therefore saved from the friend who calls him rude names.

 

 

It only took two blinks for the green LED indicating a text has arrived and Baekhyun already had his phone on his hand.

 

*

 

From: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

To: Baekhyun

 

Yea. Pneumonia

 

*

 

 

Baekhyun stares, unblinking at the screen of his phone. He was expecting Chanyeol to complain about having fever or something small because he likes complaining about everything that isnot an advantage to him.

 

Pneumonia? Chanyeol acquired Pneumonia?

 

Baekhyun had pneumonia before and his life was nowhere near endangered. At least that’s what he believes, being the one ill. So, it should be the same with Chanyeol. Albeit somehow, he still is worried. This is a friend of three years and it is normal to be worried.

 

*

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

 

Are you feeling alright? How many days have you been there?

[delete]

 

*

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

 

Is there anyone taking care of you right now? Do you want me to come over? Have you sent an excuse letter to the school?

 

*

 

 

He stares at the text message again. Chanyeol lives alone, just like him, and he knows that the latter hates making a fuss about things that he deems is unnecessary. Taking care of his healthis one of the goodexamples to that. So if no one does, he would only lie down on his bed without caring to take his medicines. Baekhyun always brings medicineswith him at school just in case his lazy friend neglects his sickness againand doesn’t drink one because “I’m a man and I don’t need to drink medicine for a mere fever”. He is seriously already tired of hearing Chanyeol trying to prove his manliness by not taking care of his body. It’s far better to have medicines ready than running to the first floor of the building for the clinic and ask for one.

 

 

He starts deleting again.

 

 

*

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

 

Oh okay. Is there anyone with you?

 

[sent ]

 

*

 

 

He cares about Chanyeol, but he really doesn’t need to say it, right? What should count are his actions. Besides, it’s stuffing to say something awkward as this to Chanyeol. He always ends up getting teased and he dislikes it.

 

 

*

 

He contemplates going back to his room in case their class starts again but then the LED starts blinking again.

 

 

*

From: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

To: Baekhyun

 

my mom

 

*

 

 

 Baekhyun lets out a relieved sigh. At least his mom is there to take care of him. He wouldn’t be that worried of his friend being sick and staying in the hospital alone.

 

 

*

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

 

Oh. Good..how are you feeling right now? When will you be discharged? Are you eating well?

 

[delete]

 

 

*

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

 

Oh..

Eat lots of food, okay? You looked so thin the last time I saw you. Hey now that I think of it, we haven’t seen each other for so long! Are you going to be discharged anytime soon? Can I visit you? Which hospital are you confined at?

[ delete ]

 

 

*

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

 

Take care of yourself, okay? And eat a lot. I’ll come visit, okay? I kind of miss hanging out with you.

 

*

 

He stares for a second, the cursor blinks as he whispers the words.

 

“I miss you”

 

Too much. He’s showing too much.

 

He starts deleting again.

 

A minute passed before he sent back a reply.

 

 

*

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

 

Oh okay. make sure you come back not looking like a matchstick. At least don’t be lazy eating food, you lazy bum.

lol

 

[sent ]

 

 

*

 

 

Baekhyun hates how he has to try to be uncaring when it comes to Chanyeol. It’s not that he doesn’t want to. It’s just that ever since they became a lot closer, people started to tease them together. Both of them try to ignore it but Baekhyun couldn’t help but hate the feeling of awkwardness around Chanyeol because awkward doesn’t exist in his description of Chanyeol.

 

He likes being around Chanyeol. That giant makes him feel like he can be just who he is; that he doesn’t need to pretend. He can curse all he wants, and not be nice at all and it would be completely fine with Chanyeol. The tall man has never judged him—except maybe his looks and his taste in fashion. Chanyeol is a person who regards how people physically see him to be very important. Well it doesn’t matter to Baekhyun because the latter looks good in anything he wears anyway so he does kind of has the right to speak his opinions about fashion. He ignores how the latter continues to judge his fashion sense. Although it doesn’t really matter. He doesn’t need to look good for anyone anyway, even in front of his tall, fashionable, and handsome friend. He could care less, really.

 

 

*

From: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

To: Baekhyun

 

k

 

 

*

 

 

Baekhyun gapes at his phone as he stares at the one-letter text he received from his friend who he was actually worrying about.

 

"Did he just answer me with only a letter.."

 

His finger moves fast as he types back a reply with a smirk.

 

 

Obviously, his giant friend is perfectly doing fine. Seeing as he still has the audacity to be his annoying-self when it comes to him. Until now, he is still Chanyeol’s favorite person to annoy.

 

 

 

*

From: Baekhyun

To: Park Chanyeol. Tss. =__=+

You better get well soon, you idiot. I still haven’t received my gift for my last birthday.

 

*

 

 

Five minutes has passed but his phone has not blinked even once.

 

It’s only after another five minutes when a group of students enters the restroom that Baekhyun goes to his classroom. He ignores the hard stare Zitao is sending towards him when he takes a seat.

 

“Did you text him?” Zitao asks, side glancing him while still scrolling down his new phone while, other hand holds the notebook that he is using for cover.

 

“Who?” He goes back to writing down notes.

 

He hears a low chuckle from his seatmate before he speaks again.

 

“Oh you know who..”

 

And Baekhyun did not have to deny it. He and Chanyeol are friends. They are just friends. Why the heck would he need to hide the fact that he feels even a bit concerned about his own friend?

 

“Yeah.”

 

“How is he doing?”

 

“He’s fine. He’s with his mom.”

 

“Did he tell you where—“

 

Getting irritated at his seatmate’s unlimited questions, Baekhyun stops writing and looks at Zitao.

 

“You know what, why don’t you text him and ask him yourself? I’m sure you have his number.”

 

His seatmate shrugs.

 

“He doesn’t answer my calls and texts.”

 

‘Maybe because you nag him a lot’ is what Baekhyun wanted to say but chose not to. He knows how much of a war-freak his seatmate can be when his ego is hurt.

 

Zitao places his phone down on his notebook before completely facing him.

 

“Do you text often?”

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. Zitao is making it obvious that he is jealous about something he shouldn’t be.

 

“No,” he pauses as he picks up his mechanical pencil. “Only when we need each other.”

It was too late when Baekhyun realized what he just said.

 

Only when we need each other.

 

 

“I mean—“

 

“You don’t need to explain.” Zitao dismisses him as he diverts his attention back to his new phone and he starts playing Flappy Bird.

 

 

Yeah, Baekhyun thought.

 

 

Why does he need to explain himself? He and Chanyeol really only have SMS conversations when they need to. Or more like he would only reply to Chanyeol’s messages when it concerns something related to school. Other than that, the latter’s messages are completely left unreplied although Baekhyun reads them all and... does not delete them. It does make him feel guilty how he only contacts Chanyeol when he needs him but then that’s the only way people would stop thinking there is something more between them.

 

 

Baekhyun gets back to attentively listening to their professor, pushing back the thoughts of Chanyeol.

 

 

 

 

He didn’t get to ask Chanyeol where he could visit him.

 

 

That night he decided not to pay Chanyeol a visit, convincing himself that he’s perfectly fine since there is someone to take care of him.

 

 

His presence wouldn’t be needed anyway.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 pacxUpZ.jpg