Six

Dead hearts

Dead Hearts - 6

 

 

 

Kyungsoo sits down at the plastic stool beside Minseok’s bed. The older is just finished taking his chemotherapy but he is still cheerful and bright as ever.

 

“Hyung, do you feel better?”

 

Minseok looks at him, smiling brightly. “Why? Are you worried?”

 

Kyungsoo frowns. Of course he is worried. His hyung loses a few pounds and his cheeks are sunken. He looks so pale and weak; it doesn’t look like the hyung that he knows before.

 

“I will be fine.” Minseok says, patting his head gently.

 

The worries that surrounded Kyungsoo washed away instantly and he smiles back at Minseok.

 

“Jongdae wanted to come along today but he had to study for his last exam.”

 

“Oh, really? How about yours?”

 

“I’m done with my exam yesterday.”

 

Minseok chuckles. “Good then. You’ve worked hard.” He ruffles Kyungsoo’s head affectionately.

 

Kyungsoo beams at the older male. “Thank you, hyung.”

 

“How about Bomi?” Minseok grins.

 

Kyungsoo knits his eyebrows. “I don’t know? We’re done with our exams at the same time but…I don’t know.”

 

Minseok hums in understanding. “I haven’t seen him in two months. Where is she?” Minseok asks. (Minseok knows that something is happened between them even though Kyungsoo never mentions anything about it.)

 

Kyungsoo pouts. “I don’t know. I haven’t seen her either.”

 

“But, I thought you have same classes?”

 

“We do…” He trails off and Minseok waits.

 

Kyungsoo heaves a heavy sigh. “Fine. I’m avoiding her right now.” He mumbles. Minseok doesn’t say anything again and just waits for him to explain. Kyungsoo then begins to tell Minseok how confused he is. How he doesn’t understand with everything, with how fast they become friends, how things are changing and how he never follows his schedule anymore and honestly it scares him.

 

Minseok smiles gently at Kyungsoo once he is done telling him. “It is okay to be scared and it is fine to be confused, Kyungsoo. I understand why were you avoiding her. But, don’t you think that she would get hurt by it?”

 

Kyungsoo remains quiet.

 

“Sometimes things happen unexpectedly and it ruins all of your plans. But, sometimes the constant things in our lives ruined just so better things can fall together.”

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t quite understand it but the smile on Minseok’s face makes him feel better.

 

“I once did that too. No, scratch that. I always avoided things and ran away from them. But, I realise that it was pointless and it was tiring and only going to hurt other people that I didn’t want to hurt and myself. It is better to face them and accept the reality and just let everything flow.”

 

Kyungsoo still is confused.

 

“Just take your time, Kyungsoo. You have a lot of times to figure them out.” He pats his head and grins at him.

 

 

####

 

 

 

Kyungsoo runs as fast as he can. He runs as far as his legs can take. The cold doesn’t even bother him. He hails a taxi and tells the driver the address.

 

He throws the money and doesn’t even bother to ask for the change. He doesn’t even bother to use the elevator, instead he runs up through the stairs.

 

He pushes the door open causing it to create a loud noise. But, he doesn’t care.

 

He doesn’t give a damn.

 

Not when he just finds out that his only elder brother, his favourite hyung is gone. He strides towards the bed where Minseok is lying in the bed hesitantly as he tries to digest everything in his head.

 

He sees his mother is crying on his father’s embrace at the corner of the room. He sees his noona standing quietly beside Minseok’s bed as she bites her lower lip, stifling the sobs that are going to come out. He sees Joonmyeon staring at Minseok blankly. It is kind of surprised him to see Minseok’s parents are there too. They are sitting at the plastic stools beside his bed and just watching their son and it boils the anger in him because why now? Why didn’t they do that when he is still alive? But, he just shakes them away.

 

He gazes Minseok who is lying there, looking like he is sleeping peacefully. He just stares and stares; trying to memorise his face (even though he knows it very well.) because he knows that he won’t see them again.

 

Minseok hyung is wrong. Unexpected things are just bringing trouble to his life. If Minseok wasn't diagnosed with astrocytomas so suddenly, he wouldn't leave him alone. He wouldn't lose his favourite hyung. There will no good things that will fall apart. He hates it.

 

 

***

 

 

Author's note:

Okay, this is more like a filler chapter and a little bit of explanation of Kyungsoo's personality. This chapter is short but this is the turning point in Kyungsoo's life. I'm going to update the next chapter very soon. I dont know exactly when but I'm thinking sometimes next week (or maybe tomorrow, who knows?)

And as what I have promised before. I'm going to release the story of Minseok, Chorong and Joonmyeon. So, here you go: "Until next time, we will find each other again." It is going to be in Minseok's pov, Chorong's pov, Joonmyeon's pov and then a bonus chapter. (I hope this is going smoothly without me making any changes.)

So, I hope you guys enjoy this chapter despite how damn short this is. xx