Three

Dead hearts

Three.

 

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t see Bomi for three days and he grows even more curious each day because of what Minseok has told him. His eyes widens when he sees her talking— he frowns when he realises that she isn’t talking but rather arguing with Chanyeol. He decides to stand at the spot not wanting to interrupt them or anything. He just watches them arguing with Bomi keeps moving her hands and Chanyeol raking his hair in frustration. Kyungsoo can’t really tell what they are arguing about because he cannot hear them or see them (to figure out what they are fighting about from their mouths movement) from where he is standing.

 

He is about to leave them thinking that they will take a long time and he is just wasting his time when he sees that Chanyeol raises his arm and looks like he is about to slap her but Kyungsoo quickly shouts. “Hey!”

 

Chanyeol and Bomi turn their heads around towards Kyungsoo whom is walking towards them, shaking his head. “No hitting, Chanyeol.” Kyungsoo points at his arm and Chanyeol instantly drops his arm.

 

Bomi looks at Kyungsoo curiously and Chanyeol just looks down at his own shoes. “I don’t mean to interrupt anything but that is very wrong Chanyeol.” Kyungsoo frowns and jabs Chanyeol’s waist with his hand causing Chanyeol to jolt in pain.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Don’t apologise to me. Apologise to her.”

 

Chanyeol hesitantly looks up from his shoes to Bomi who is looking away from him. Chanyeol clears his throat. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…It’s just… I was too carried away…I’m sorry, Bomi.”

 

Bomi lets out a deep sigh and nods her head. “It’s okay. I’m sorry too.”

 

Kyungsoo nods his head before taking each of their hands. “Now, shake hands.”

 

The two of them stifle a laugh before shaking hands.

 

“Good. See you guys.” Kyungsoo says, turning away not even waiting for them to say something.

 

“He’s so weird.” Chanyeol chuckles.

 

Bomi nods her head in agreement, smiling widely.

 

 

####

 

 

Kyungsoo is about to cook for his dinner when he hears moans after moans coming from Chanyeol’s room and he definitely can recognise the owner of the voice. Kyungsoo sighs, rolling his eyes.

 

He comes out of him room. “I’m having my dinner right now and I’ll take about an hour but after that both of you have to stop, willingly or unwillingly, because I need to study. Thanks guys!” He shouts before walking towards the kitchen, ignoring the sound of Bomi’s laugh coming out of his room.

 

Kyungsoo decides that maybe eating ice cream while revising and doing some practices for his statistic class is a good idea. He trudges back towards his room with one litre tube of macadamia nut ice cream in his hand. Bomi comes out of his room when Kyungsoo is about to enter his own room.

 

“Oh, Hey, Kyungsoo.” She waves. Her hair is messy and he thinks to himself “ hair” and the yellow T-shirt that she is wearing is the T-shirt that Chanyeol has just worn plus it is too big for her. He glances down at her bare legs and he assumes that she doesn’t wearing any pants underneath (well of course she is wearing her underwear).

 

“Hey.” He mumbles.

 

“Thank you for today. You know…you kind of helping us.” She smiles sheepishly, scratching her cheek with her finger.

 

He shrugs, does not really care. “Yeah, I can see that both of you made up already.”

 

She just giggles softly and he remains quiet. Both of them only stand there for a few seconds before Kyungsoo breaks the silent, “Hey, can I ask you something?”

 

Bomi nods her head enthusiastically. “Of course.”

 

Kyungsoo frowns, looking down at his ice cream. He is contemplating whether he should share his ice cream with her or not. He is thinking not to and pretends that she doesn’t mind about it but he chooses to talk with her while sharing his ice cream with her.

 

“Let’s go to the kitchen and I’ll share you my ice cream.” He mumbles, turning away to the kitchen. “But, I’m not sharing everything.”

 

Bomi laughs. “Okay.”

 

The two of them sit at the stools and he hands her a teaspoon. “Don’t eat everything, okay?” He narrows his eyes down at her and she giggles, nodding her head.

 

“I promise. So, what do you want to ask?” She asks, scooping the ice cream into .

 

“I have a hyung that I really like. He is practically my favourite person in this whole world and I kind of told him something that you told me.” He begins, playing with his teaspoon.

 

“Huh?”

 

Kyungsoo starts telling her from the story that Minseok tells her to the ‘advise’ that he tells him whilst Bomi occasionally nods her head, indirectly saying that she is listening.

 

“Hmm. So, you are asking me whether I know what he meant?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

She smiles softly at him, propping her chin on her palm. “I think you will know the meaning behind it by yourself. You will understand about it soon.”

 

He frowns. “What do you mean?”

 

“Hmm. What I meant was…you should remember the things that you have forgotten, Kyungsoo. You told me that you had been living your life all this time yet he told you that you should start living your life now. He means that you should start thinking about yourself even more, I mean not being selfish in a bad way but in a good way. He’s indirectly saying that you’re being too hard on yourself. You’re trying to be perfect all the time until you forget about everything around you.” She pauses, staring at him right in the eye. “I told you that you couldn’t live like this, didn’t I? You might think that other people are just nuisance and pest in your life but you will never know what they might bring into your life; they might bring happiness or the thing that you’ll cherish the most in your life.”

 

She takes a deep breath before exhaling them. “He reminds you not to realise everything when it is too late.”

 

Kyungsoo’s frown goes deeper and he’s deep in thought. He becomes even more confused by it. “I still don’t understand.”

 

“Like I told you, you’ll understand it by yourself soon.”

 

He sighs. “Well, if you say so. But, have you ever had experienced that?” He asks, taking a scoop of the ice cream.

 

 “So, who is this hyung? If you don’t mind me asking.” She asks, changing the topic and Kyungsoo pretends that he doesn’t realise it. He chooses to go along with it because it is not like he really cares anyway.

 

“He’s the son of my mom’s best friend. We knew each since forever. His name is Kim Minseok. I really like and adore him. I always see him like my own elder brother.” He smiles widely and it suprises Bomi a little because that is the first time for her to see him smiling so bright like that.

 

“He’s must be really important to you.” She mutters.

 

“He is.” A soft smile is still tugging on his lips. “He’s a great hyung.” He pauses and Bomi is surprised again to see his bright expression changes into a sad and solemn. “But, he’s dying.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“He’s diagnosed by Brain cancer or more specifically Astrocytomas.” It still sounds foreign for him to say the word even though he has repeated it for more than hundred times (often he says it to himself as if he is trying to digest the fact that his Minseok hyung has a brain tumour). 

 

Bomi only keeps quiet, allowing him to continue.

 

“He was diagnosed when he was nineteen-year-old. It has been four years ever since that day when he fell down and had a seizure. I still remember clearly what happened because it was right in front of my eyes. To say that it scared me to death would be an understatement. My elder sister and their best friend were there and they were as hysteric and panic as I was.” He pauses, taking a shaky breath. “They did a surgery and it was a success because the brain tumour was still in grade 1. We thought everything was fine and everything would be fine. But, we were wrong. Now, it’s already in grade 3. The chance of him surviving is getting lower and lower.” Bomi looks at Kyungsoo and she can see that the light in his eyes is getting dimmer and dimmer.

 

“His fatigue becomes worse, his short term memory is getting worse as well and his movement is becoming slower as well. He did radiotherapy and chemotheraphy. It killed the bad cells but it also damaged the good cells. The doctors are trying hard to save him—and everyone but I guess there are not many people that can survive long enough for them to do the study.” He smiles bitterly.

 

Bomi is about to reach out her hand to hold his hand but he suddenly looks at her and smiles, a smile that makes her flinch in pain, “But, it’s okay. Minseok hyung is a strong man. He never gives up and always fights through this. I know he will be fine.”

 

Bomi knows that both of them know nothing will be fine but holding onto something is better than nothing so she just nods her head. “You’re right. Is that why you trying to understand what he told you?”

 

He nods his head, frowning—she silently giggles seeing his normal expression back on his face again. “Yeah. I want to do what he tells me to do and it is impossible if I don’t get it.”

 

She smiles gently at him. “It’s okay. You’ll understand. Don’t worry about it.”

 

He nods his head and is about to continue eating his ice cream that is already starting to melt when he suddenly looks up at her. “Ah, Thank you…Bomi.”

 

Bomi doesn’t move for a few seconds, too surprised, “What?”

 

“Thank you?” Kyungsoo asks, raising his eyebrow.

 

She laughs out loud, dropping her teaspoon and clutching her stomach. Kyungsoo is only staring at her thinking that she is possessed by something because she is laughing like a maniac out of blue. She gasps for air and wipes the tears in her eyes before looking at him tenderly. “You’re welcome, Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo nods his head and silently telling himself that maybe he doesn’t hates her.

 

 

####

 

 

 

“Kyung, do you know Bang Minah?” Chanyeol asks him when the four of them, including Baekhyun and Jongdae whom is finally back from his sanctuary a.k.a the laboratory of his faculty after two days, are having movie marathon on Saturday evening.

 

“Uh, Yeah. I saw her a few days ago. Isn’t she the one who has a crush on me?” He nonchalantly mumbles. He finally knows who is Minah thanks to Bomi whom points her out to him. After that he starts seeing her everywhere—he means it; she is everywhere.

 

Baekhyun steers his face away from the screen. “Oh, you knew it?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“What do you think of her?”

 

Kyungsoo shrugs his shoulders. “I don’t know. I never talk to her.”

 

“Appearance wise?” Chanyeol asks before popping some popcorn into his mouth.

 

“She’s okay.”

 

“Just okay?” Chanyeol asks once again.

 

“Yeah.”

 

Jongdae chuckles, “You guys know that Kyungsoo isn’t interested in such things. He would rather think about whether the colour of his shirt matches with the colour of his shoes than girls.”

 

Baekhyun knits his eyebrows. “So, you’re telling us that you’re gay?”

 

“No. I’m straight but I’m just not interested with girls at the moment. I have had my own shares before.” Kyungsoo mumbles while chewing the popcorn in his mouth.

 

“How many girlfriends did you have before?” Baekhyun asks

 

Kyungsoo thinks for a few seconds and counts with his fingers and shows it to them.

 

“Four?” Jongdae exclaims.

 

“That’s more that I thought.” Chanyeol mutters.

 

“How many of them did you have with?” Baekhyun asks again.

 

“Two.” Kyungsoo mumbles out the answer; disinteresting.

 

“Did you have with other girls than them? If yes, how many?” Baekhyun asks as he moves to sit beside Kyungsoo, pushing Jongdae in the process.

 

Kyungsoo frowns, does not really understand why this topic is so interesting for Baekhyun. “I don’t know. Two? Three?”

 

The three of them whistle in unison. “Yah, Do Kyungsoo. I didn’t expect you to be like this. I thought you never had had your first kiss yet let alone .” Chanyeol chuckles, wrapping his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders.

 

“Why did you guys want to know anyway?”

 

Baekhyun smiles, “We’re just curious. That’s all.”

 

“Kyung, if Minah asks you to have with her, do you want to do it?” Chanyeol asks.

 

Kyungsoo shrugs. “I don’t know. It depends. If I’m in the mood, maybe I’ll say yes.”

 

“Oooooh.” The three of them shouts at the same time and Kyungsoo ignores them, continues watching the movie and he frowns because he misses some scenes that leaves him confuse.

 

 

####

 

“Do you know that the rumour has spread across our university?” Bomi whispers as quiet as possible so she won’t get caught by their professor.

 

Kyungsoo frowns and she purses her lips not to smile seeing his trademark frown. “What rumour?” He whispers back.

 

“The rumour of the possibility of you agreeing to have with Minah.” She answers in a hush tone.

 

Kyungsoo widens his eyes and is about to shout but then he notices the look from their professor that is directed to them. He ducks his head and moves closer to her. “And then what happened?”

 

She notices the look that is throwing at them by their professor so she grabs her pen and writes a note on her book.

 

‘I heard Minah is going to ask you that this weekend and everyone is betting for the answer and I also heard that there is a possibility Jongin is going to kill you or Jongin might as well join the . You know, .’ She passes her book to him.

 

Kyungsoo groans quietly before scribbling something on the note. ‘I think I will just visit Minseok hyung in the early morning so I won’t see her and please don’t tell anyone about it. I don’t want anyone to find out about this because I don’t want to make a plan B.’

 

Bomi takes her book from him and she has to clamp with her hand to stop herself from laughing. ‘I won’t, if you take me with you.’

 

He glances at her book before whispering, “Okay.”

 

 

*** 

 

 

Author's note:

When I said that I'd try to squeeze in some chapters, I really did mean it. I was thinking to update yesterday, but I was too tired so yeah~ 

Did you guys notice something in this chapter? No one actually realises it but it is there. :-)

Oh, about the illness, I put the link on the word there, so just click it if you want to know the details of it.

I hope you guys enjoy the new chapter! Thanks! xx :-)