Five

Dead hearts

Dead Hearts – 5

 

 

The weather is getting colder and Kyungsoo hates it because he has to wear more layers of clothes to keep himself warm. He thinks it is really troublesome being wrapped in layer of clothes. Sometimes he wishes he had to power to be able to stay warm all the time. It would be easier for him.

 

“I don’t think so.” Bomi murmurs, scribbling something on her notebook.

 

Kyungsoo frowns, looking up from the book that he just took from the bookshelves at the library. “Why?”

 

“Well, because if your body heat is able to keep you warm all the time especially on this weather, it means people cannot really go near you. The heat is too much for them.”

 

“Wouldn’t they like it instead?”

 

“Well, technically yes. But, they couldn’t stand the heat eventually. Think about it, like a heater. You will turn the heater off when you feel the room temperature is too hot for you, right? People will leave you and during summer, you will wish that you’re normal like other people.” She looks up and smiles at him.

 

Kyungsoo frowns.

 

She giggles. “I’m right, aren’t I?”

 

Kyungsoo frowns deeper. “How?” He whispers.

 

She laughs and shrugs her shoulders. “I’m just guessing.”

 

 

####

 

 

Kyungsoo sits on the couch at the common room at Byunghun, Chunji, Jungkook, and Jin’s flat. He lets out a deep sigh before taking a sip at the beer that he just takes on the dining table.

 

Baekhyun and Jongdae successfully drag him to Byunghun’s birthday party. He refused the idea of going to the party because he didn’t know who this Byunghun guy is even though turns out that Byunghun lives like four flats down from theirs.

 

(“You need to be more aware of your surrounding, Kyung.” Jongdae tells him before goes off to dance with other people.)

 

He sighs once again, thinking about the assignment that is just handed by his professor this morning. He doesn’t really understand and know how to do it and he’s really worried that he cannot finish it before the deadline. (Even though the deadline is like two weeks away, but two weeks can fly like it is only a day)

 

He turns around when someone taps his shoulder.

 

“Let’s go? No one will notice us if we leave now.” Bomi smiles, holding his padded jacket in her hand.

 

Kyungsoo nods his head. “Thanks.” He murmurs and Bomi just smiles while wearing her coat.

 

“Come on.” She says, taking his hand and dragging him out of the suffocated place.

 

“Where are we going?” He asks once they’re at the elevator.

 

She presses the ground floor button as she lets go of his hand. “Let’s eat ddukbbokki. We can discuss about the assignment that Professor Im just gave us.” She smiles widely.

 

“How?” He asks quietly but she hears him.

 

She giggles, shrugging her shoulders. “I’m just guessing.”

 

 

####

 

“Kyungsoo, what do you want? Jjamppong, right?” Bomi asks as she flips the menu.

 

Kyungsoo looks up from his phone. “Yeah and—“

 

“Without onion?”

 

Kyungsoo frowns, nodding his head. “Yeah…”

 

“Okay. Hmmm. What should I get?” She pouts and stares at the menu in concentration.

 

“How?”

 

“What?” She looks up from the menu.

 

“How…?”

 

“Oh, about the onion?” She just shrugs her shoulders. “I’m just guessing.”

 

 

####

 

 

“Oh, Kyungsoo. You don’t like onion on your food, right?” Minseok mumbles as soon as he sees onions at the corner of Kyungsoo’s lunch box.

 

“Yeah.” Kyungsoo pouts.

 

“Oh, I didn’t know that you don’t like it. Here, put it on noona’s.” Chorong says, pushing her lunch box to Kyungsoo.

 

Minseok sighs. “Chorong, you’re the worst elder sister that I have encountered in my life.”

 

She scoffs. “Yah! Kyungsoo never told me that, okay?”

 

“I never told Minseok hyung either.” Kyungsoo murmurs.

 

“Oh? Then how did you know?” Chorong asks, turning her head at Minseok who is shaking his head.

 

“I saw him putting the onions away once.”

 

Kyungsoo frowns. “Just because of that you knew that I didn’t like onion?”

 

Minseok nods his head, picking up his chopstick and frowning at the hospital food. “This looks so yummy.” Minseok mumbles sarcastically. “Hey, Chorong. Do you—“

 

“I knew it. Here you go~” Chorong grins, handing her lunch box to Minseok and takes his food tray. “That is why I asked mom to cook your favourite food today.”

 

“Are you allowed to eat that, hyung?” Kyungsoo quirks his eyebrow in curiosity as he watches his hyung smiles brightly.

 

“No, he isn’t. So, you’re not allowed to tell this to anyone, not even Joonmyeon. He’s going to scold me especially that I’m an intern right now. I should have not given in so easily. But, hey, I don’t do this everyday. Only once a week whenever I’m off from duty. This is a secret.” She smiles and takes a bite at the food that is supposedly for Minseok and grimaced as soon as she swallowed the food.

 

Kyungsoo is quiet for a few seconds before he picks up his chopsticks and eats his food as he listens to the banter between his noona and his hyung.

 

 

####

 

 

Kyungsoo is running late, thanks to Jongdae. Kyungsoo grumbles under his breath, cursing Jongdae for lecturing them about how to brush their teeth properly. He groans loudly while running through the hall, remembering that this morning he has an important class because Professor Im is going through the part for the small test tomorrow and it is also important for his assignment.

 

He tries to calm down and steady his erratic breath. He gulps down, knocking on the door.

 

He slides the door open and sees Professor Im shaking his head at him. He nods his head forward, signalling him to take a seat. Kyungsoo bows apologetically before rushing out towards his seat.

 

Bomi beams at him as she picks up her bag for him to take a seat and puts her bag under her legs.

 

He walks towards his usual seat or rather their seats. He doesn’t know why but it is now becoming a habit for them to save a seat if either of them hasn’t showed up at the lecture hall yet. They even sit together now during the seminar that they share together. Usually Bomi would sit with her friends who don’t have the same class as her and Kyungsoo but one time Bomi dragged him to sit with her.

 

“What happened?” Bomi asks in amusement, handing him a tissue.

 

“Kim ing Jongdae.”

 

Bomi snickers quietly. “How to brush your teeth properly or what would happen to you if you don’t brush your teeth before you go to bed?”

 

“Former.”

 

“Dang, it means he already explained that three times in this month alone.”

 

“Only thrice? I thought thirty times.”

 

She snorts loudly and she quickly ducks her head down, pretending that she is writing something when their professor is looking at them.

 

“Oh, you missed out something important. I already wrote it for you. Don’t worry.” She whispers.

 

He remains silent for a few seconds before whispering, “Thanks.”

 

 

####

 

 

It already reaches to the point that Kyungsoo does not understand and it irritates him so much. He does not know the answer and it really frustrates him.

 

The more he talks to Bomi and hangs around her, the more he becomes annoyed. To say that he hates her, is not even true. To say that he likes her, is not true either.

 

He unconsciously starts avoiding her, like starts sitting at the front, sits with Hyunsik during the seminar, avoids the library and their campus cafeteria.

 

He would hide at the botanic garden behind the faculty building as he does his assignment before his classes. He also comes back to his flat really late and chooses to come home (much surprise to his parents) or visits Minseok.

 

He is doing well at it but he grows tired at it. Going back and forth from University to his house is very energy consuming and it’s not like he can really see Minseok all the time anyway, thanks to the visiting hours, and he would end up going to the waiting room for the visitors and doing his assignment or simply revising his notes.

 

“I’m start thinking that your face will turn black judging from the black circles under your eyes. It grows bigger every single day.” Jongdae mumbles as soon as he sees Kyungsoo. The two of them decide to have lunch together since they are free and Jongdae claims that he hasn’t seen Kyungsoo for like two weeks. (of course it is an exaggeration but it is Jongdae. There is no time when he doesn’t exaggerate thing and Kyungsoo is really afraid that he would get sued by his future patients because he exaggerates too much.)

 

Kyungsoo just waves him off and follows the waiter to the assigned table.

 

“What have you been doing these days?” Jongdae asks once they finished ordering.

 

Kyungsoo shrugs. “Just this and that. Nothing much.”

 

Jongdae scoffs. “Yeah, right.”

 

“It’s up to you if you don’t want to believe me. But, I’m not telling you bull.”

 

“Whatever. I knew that you’re dating someone.”

 

“What the ?”

 

“Come on, Kyung. You don’t have to hide anything from me. I’m not stupid. You have been coming back really really late and I rarely see you around the campus area. Okay, before you cut me off. I know that our faculty buildings are different but it is almost side by side, okay? I bumped into you a couple of times before. So, it should be right if I assume that you’re dating someone right now.”

 

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. “I am not dating someone, okay? I’m just busy…” (“hiding from someone.” He finishes his sentence on his head.)

 

“Yeah, busy dating someone.”

 

“Look, I’m not dating anyone. I really am busy doing my assignment and you know…revising.” He deadpans. “As for the reason why you rarely see me. I was at the botanic garden, the place where almost no single soul visit except the students that have the duty to take care of it. Also, I went to my own house after my classes and visit…someone.”

 

“See! You’re visiting someone!”

 

Kyungsoo groans. “Let me take you somewhere after this.”

 

“Yay! I cannot wait to see her.”

 

Kyungsoo only snorts at him.

 

 

####

 

“Is your girlfriend a nurse or something?” Jongdae asks, walking beside Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo just chuckles. “No.”

 

“Then?”

 

Kyungsoo ignores him and keeps walking. He stops at Minseok’s room and knocks the door.

 

He opens the door once he hears Minseok’s voice from the room letting him to come in.

 

“Hyung!” He smiles brightly and waves at Minseok.

 

“Hey, Kyungsoo. Oh, you bring your friend.”

 

“Yeah. His name is Kim Jongdae. My flatmate. Jongdae, that’s Minseok hyung. I already have known him since forever.”

 

Jongdae gapes and quickly closes his mouth when Kyungsoo nudges his waist. “Oh, good afternoon. I’m Kim Jongdae.” He bows.

 

“Hello, Jongdae. Come, take a seat.” He smiles, gesturing his hand at the plastic stools beside his bed.

 

“Mom came today?” Kyungsoo asks when he saw the flowers in the vase already changed.

 

“Yeah. She bought some new underwear.”

 

“Aunty hasn’t visited you?” Kyungsoo frowns.

 

Minseok smiles. (It makes Kyungsoo frowns deeper when Minseok still smiles happily.) “No, but she asked your mom to buy me a pack of M&M’s chocolate because I love it. Too bad I can’t eat it.”

 

“Aunty doesn’t know that you can’t eat candy or chocolate?”

 

“She just forgot about it, Kyung. I’m sure it slipped out of her mind. Your mom already scolded her anyway.”

 

Kyungsoo huffs in annoyance and grumbles something under his breath.

 

Minseok turns his head at Jongdae who is sitting beside Kyungsoo awkwardly. “Jongdae, what are you studying in University?”

 

“Ah, I’m a dentistry student.”

 

“Oh, cool. Thank god that I already stop eating something sweet. I don’t even want to imagine you scolding me every single time I eat candy or chocolate.”

 

Kyungsoo winces at the memory of Jongdae lecturing him. “Don’t. I can’t even stand it.”

 

Jongdae whacks his arm. “Hey! It is really important, you know!”

 

“But, you only repeated the same things again and again. Didn’t you learn something new?”

 

“It’s still my first year!”

 

Kyungsoo and Jongdae keep bickering at each other with Minseok laughs cheerfully at them.

 

Kyungsoo thinks that he doesn’t need anything else.

 

 

####

 

Two weeks become three weeks and three weeks become a month and without Kyungsoo realises it, it has already been a month and two weeks since he starts avoiding Bomi. Winter already comes and December is two weeks away.

 

“I want to visit Minseok hyung!” Jongdae exclaims as he sets down a mug of hot chocolate at the table in front of Kyungsoo and another mug in front of him.

 

Kyungsoo furrows his eyebrows. “You saw him three days ago.”

 

“I want to tell Minseok hyung about the practicum that I did today. I love talking to him. You in listening to someone.” Jongdae scoffs.

 

Kyungsoo shrugs, not even bother to deny it.

 

“Oh, yeah. Did you hear the news?”

 

“What news? A tooth fairy is proven never exist?”

 

Jongdae pinches Kyungsoo’s arm. “No, you idiot. I’m talking about the news that Chanyeol is finally dating Bomi.”

 

Kyungsoo remains quiet and just lets Jongdae continues blabbering.

 

“I thought you were dating Bomi considering the amount of times you spent with her but I haven’t seen you with her a lot of times. They announced their relationship yesterday.”

 

Kyungsoo just nods his head. “I told you that we’re just classmates.”

 

 

***

 

 

Author's note:

Just saw the date of my last update. February 2nd. Wow. I cant believe it is almost a month ago. Where did the time go???? :( I guess I'm just too busy to even realise it. I am sorry guys. I'm caught up with assignments and things that I need to revise. The amount of me repeating "I am so tired." in one day is uncountable and it's really crazy. I think I said that sentence every three seconds every day. I am tired. Y____Y

So, finally. A new chapter from me after I had a chance to sleep for 15 hours (it's true.) My brain is willing to work together with me! :-)

Moving on. This chapter is basically telling you Kyungsoo's personality and what he worries the most in his life. I hope you guys notice the important bit of this chapter because it really tells you the whole thing about this story. 

Woot woot. Chanyeol is dating Bomi!

I hope you guys enjoy the new chapter! I want to apologise in advance now. I'm sorry for the slow update guys. Maybe I will post the new chapter in the next two weeks or who knows that I will post the new chapter this monday? But, yeah. No promises! xx