chapter 4

P O S S E S S E D (part 2)

(A-tom)

 

We all stand in the park. Seogoong called me early in the morning to come here, when I arrive it is crowded with police and other people. At first I couldn’t believe what I had heard but as soon as I see the sad look in the eyes of my friends, some eyes are filled with tears, I know that it’s true. Nakta is dead, murdered. Why would someone do that? They are investigating the body while one officer is interrogating Hojoon, who had spoken with him for the last time. I am scared to look at Nakta’s body, but I still do. His head is smashed and he has multiple stab wounds all over his chest. The weird thing is, he is almost fully covered in a layer of ice, as if he was locked up in a freezer for a week. It’s not even cold outside.

“Are you sure about it? He had no enemies or people that disliked him, at all?”

“I told you, no he hadn’t. Nakta liked everybody and everybody liked Nakta, which is why I still don’t understand why someone would murder him. It doesn’t look like he was attacked randomly by some stranger”

Hojoon and the officer are arguing when Xero collapses out of the blue. He is twitching on the ground, and turns to a purplish blue colour. I run over to help him, he feels ice cold. Luckily some paramedics are quick enough to take him to the hospital, Hansol and Seogoong go with him.

 

(Xero)

 

I wake up in a dark room, in a cold bed. Four pairs of eyes stare at me, one hell green, one blood red, one darker than the darkest night and one pair that glows up like hot coals. Where am I? My body feels numb and cold. What happened to me to end up in here?

“How are you feeling Xero? You gave your friends quite a shock there” The owner of the hell green eyes says to me.

His voice makes me shiver, it is a snake like voice.

“Who are you? Where am I?”

I hear their scornful laughter, as if I am an idiot. I don’t know if I should be scared or angry.

“You’re in the hospital. I can see that our little dongsaeng doesn’t really care about your health, I thought we’d raised you better Nix”

“Oh shut up Ryu, you’re the one who sets your humans on fire. Mine simply couldn’t stand my cold presence in his soul”

Ryu and the others are apparently Nix’ older siblings, I never knew that demons could have siblings. The light goes on and I see four figures standing around my hospital bed, three guys and one girl. All of them have nothing in common, except the cold hard look in their eyes.

“Let us introduce ourselves, your little human seems a little confused. My name is Ryu, the demon of fire” Says the guy with the hot coal eyes.

He seems like someone who simply had to be famous.

“I know what you’re thinking. By the way, he’s the most arrogant bastard you’ll ever meet”

“I’m hot like fire, what am I supposed to do about it”

I understand what Nix meant. The next person to introduce himself is the guy with the hell green eyes, he seems to work here. That is what I assume looking at the lab coat he is wearing.

“I’m Nathraichean, my specialty is poison”

“If you can’t pronounce his name, just call him snake guy. That’s basically what he is”

Her comments really started to annoy me, she isn’t very font on her family. Maybe because she’s the youngest?

“Excuse me for my dongsaengs behaviour. I’m Caera, demon of the night. That boy with the red hair is Leroux, blood demon and only one year older than our precious ice princess ” She says in a sarcastic voice.

Her black eyes are looking down on me.

“She’ll give you nightmares, and Leroux will literally annoy the bloody crap out off you”

I sigh. Why am I the one stuck in some demon family drama? Why not Hansol or Hojoon? They would fit perfectly in such a scenario.

“Can you now get out of him sis? I think you start to irritate him,” Leroux asks Nix.

I hate that she has to communicate through me, I feel so small and unimportant.

“No I can’t, I’m stuck in him until he has his eight roses. Until then I am unable to move on my own. This idiot thought it was a good idea to sing my song, because of that I’m bound to him until he fulfils his task” She sighs.

What?! I thought that she stayed just for her sadistic enjoyment, nobody ever told me that she is stuck in me! Why did I even steal Kidoh’s work? If I let him be, he would be the one in trouble, not me!

“We came here to get you, and now you’re telling us you can’t go! Dad will be furious if he hears about this!”

Dad? If they are demons then… I don’t even want to think about that. What if they decide to just take me with them? The thought only made me shiver.

“Maybe we can help to speed up the process, everyone here has a method to kill. We’ll simply lend some of our equipment to Xavier”

Everyone agrees with it and each take out an object.

 

 

(Two days later)

 

Seogoong and I are the last ones in the practice room. You don’t know how horrible it is to look at him, knowing what will happen. I try to walk out but Nix keeps me in place, my struggle is hopeless.

“Seogoong? Can I talk to you for a moment?”

He gives me a friendly smile and nods at me. I let out a deep sigh, here we go…

“There is something you should know, this is not personal in any way, it is just that I have no other choice than doing this. I need to confess, I murdered Nakta”

 

 

(Seogoong)

 

What is he saying? This can’t be true, he would never do something like that. I see that Xero’s eyes are filled with sorrow and fear, but the next second they turn ice blue and are filled with hate and disdain.

“Come on Seogoong, it’s just a game. Don’t you want Xero to be freed from me, or do you want him to suffer forever?”

That isn’t Xero who speaks, the icy voice gives me goosebumps. Jenissi talked about something he found in Kyungsoo’s file. Nix the ice demon, a girl with blue eyes and an icy voice. Is she the one who is talking to me right now?

“Are you Nix? What have you done to Xero?”

She just grins at me and takes out an object, a small ball of fire.

“A gift from my brother Ryu, for you”

Nix drops the ball on the floor and leaves the room, locking the door. I stand there, frozen. The fire starts spreading on the floor to the walls. I know the smoke detectors are turned off. I gets harder to breathe every second.

“XERO! HELP ME! LET ME OUT!”

I pound on the door, in the hope that he will turn around and come back for me. The fire starts my legs. It hurts like hell, my jeans and shoes have already catched fire and I continue screaming.

“HELP! SOMEONE!”

I can’t breathe, the smoke is suffocating me. I fall on the ground. The last thing I remember is fire and the smell of my own burning flesh.

 

Ryu gives me a small ball of fire, leave it and wait, it will start a fire that will burn everything on it’s path.