chapter 1

P O S S E S S E D (part 2)

“Rest in peace Kyungsoo” I set the rose against his grave and read again what was written on his stone, tears are welling up in my eyes.

Do Kyungsoo

A good friend and a dear brother

“Kidoh! Are you coming or not?” Seogoong walks towards the island, carefully so he won’t slip. I’m happy that my friends came to help me move Kyungsoo’s stuff. I am the last one of the families from the dead residents to pick up their belongings. “I know it’s hard for you, but you have no choice” He puts his hand on my shoulder and smiles at me. “Lets go” he says and we walk back to the house where my brother once lived.

 

Inside the house we see that everyone has already started, B-joo and Xero are moving a couch, Jenissi disappears into the kitchen while Hojoon and Hansol are moving some boxes filled with books. Nakta and A-tom are probably busy in the stables. 

“We thought it would be better if you did his room” Hansol points upstairs. I know they are trying to be respectful and stuff, but I’m not really in the mood. I let a sigh escape, even though it was more than a month ago, the pictures the police had taken are still clear on my mind. His body was so maimed, he was almost unrecognisable. They gave me the small bottle that was found next to his body since there were only his fingerprints on the glass, I wear it now as a talisman. That makes me feel like my brother is still close by, still alive.

 

I walk into his room and almost burst out into tears. Everything I see reminds me of Jaye. 

“Come on Kidoh, you have to do it, for your brother” I whisper to myself. If I don’t start now, I’ll never do it. First I start with his closet and bed. When I’m looking through his book I find some really strange titles: The Satanic Bible, demonic creatures, hell on earth, deadly curses. What was going on with him? I hadn’t seen him in a long time, I was busy with my studies and composing. Did he change so much since the last time I saw him, or did he simply go crazy? I’ll probably never find out. The most important thing I saved as last, his desk. While I expect to find some weird stuff after what I found on his bookshelves, there are just the regular things. I wanted to open the last drawer but it is stuck.

 

“Hey! Can somebody come and help me?!” I yell downstairs. A minute later Xero appears in the doorstep. 

“Yes hyung?” he says unsure. 

“Come and help me with this drawer, I thinks it’s stuck” We pull as hard as we can but there was no movement in it, just as we want to give up the drawer springs open and papers and documents from one single file cover the floor. Content of the file exists of notes, sketches and printed pages. 

“What is this?” Xero holds up a few music sheets. He hands them over to me. 

Canticum a mortuis, what kind of obscure title is that?” I frown. Xero just shrugs his shoulders and continues picking up leftover documents, but you can see that his mind is somewhere else. We pack everything and leave the place.

 

In the night I sit down and scan through the content of the file. The notes vary from small scribbles and doodles to 10 fully covered pages stapled to each other, but all had the same topic: ice demons. 

“What are you doing Kidoh?” Jenissi enters the room and picks up one of the sketches, all sketches are from the same person, a pale girl with black hair and blue eyes. What happened to my brother that made him so obsessive about demons? Has the girl something to do with it? “She looks creepy, do you know who she is? And what means Canticum a mortuis? Isn’t that Latin?” he continues. I sighed, why does Jenissi have to be so curious all the time? I scan the music sheets for the tenth time when I get an idea. What if I publish this song? In honour of Kyungsoo, in that way he will always be remembered. He was the last family I had left, this is the only thing I have that resembles him.

The next morning I’m busy working on the instrumental version, what I didn’t notice was that Xero is eavesdropping, silently learning the lyrics.

 

(Xero)

 

I sneak into the recording studio. Kidoh has already prepared to record everything the next morning. Sadly enough there wouldn’t be anything to record. I’ve seen the song, it is good, good enough to top in the charts. For a second I overthink what I’m going to do. Is this worth it? I mean, isn’t it from Kyungsoo? I shake my head. Nah, it’s not like I’m committing fraud, Kyungsoo is dead anyways.

I start recording, the words feel strange and unfamiliar in my mouth and the melody gives me the chills. When I am finished I listen to it a few times, it is perfect. I transport the song to my USB and delete all the other files of the song, the physical copy is already in my possession, stolen from Kidoh when he was sleeping.

As I am about to leave I feel a cold wind going through the studio. “Xero…” I hear someone whisper. I turn around and see a girl, cold blue eyes and hair darker than the night. “Who are you? What are you doing here?!” I shout at her. I don’t want her to know I’m scared of her. She just grins at me. 

I’m the owner of the song, and I’m here to play a game. The same game I played with Jaye and his friends, but this time… This time I’ll use someone to play for me. That someone, is you…”

Her cold presence surrounds me like fog, it crawls inside through my eyes, nose, ears and mouth. I can’t get enough air. Later I open my eyes and stare in a mirror, my eyes are huge and have an ice blue colour. I want to scream but my body doesn’t react, I feel numb.

“Let the game begin” I hear myself say. I know it’s not me, but the girl who says that. I’m possessed.