s e v e n

Because To Me, It's You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Will he regain any of his memories back?” Baekhyun asks with deeply furrowed brows.

With her heart uneasy and head down, Soojung stands behind him with Eunseo—Baekhyun’s girlfriend—along with Jongdae and Zitao. Nobody expected Jongin to wake up and forget everything, everything about her, him and their relationship.

 

The Doctor’s lips press into a firm line with a look of uncertainty. “Some patients regain memories overtime but some don’t. We don’t really know.”

“But he just can’t forget five amazing years of his life like that!” Baekhyun refutes with in frustration of the whole situation. “He thinks he’s in love with another woman when the one he really loves is standing right here!”

“Oppa,” Soojung calls quietly, tugging on the back of his shirt with Eunseo throwing an arm over her shoulder.

The Doctor switches his gaze from Baekhyun to Soojung. “I’m so sorry to hear that.”

“Is there really nothing we can do?” Jongdae joins.

“Sometimes things, places, people, they can trigger memories but that’s really all that we can do. Sometimes if the patient doesn’t want to remember,” his voice slightly trails. “It really depends on the patient. We can’t do anything about it.”

Soojung begins to wonder if Jongin would even want to remember her. He has to. The love they shared was beautiful and breathtaking in so many ways. It required so much from one another and it consumed them but that was the true beauty of it all. They discovered things they never knew about themselves through love so how can it just be gone just like that?

 

“Knowing Jongin,” Eunseo says quietly as they all head back to Jongin’s room. “He’ll want to remember you. He’s going to question your existence and eventually he’ll come around.”

She sounds so sure but what if he doesn’t. The Jongin now thinks he’s a senior in highschool and still dating his first love, Park Ariyoung. Soojung is nothing like Ariyoung.

 

When they enter, Jongin is sitting up and gawking at Kyungsoo as he tells Jongin about the person he is now. His mother sits besides him protectively so Kyungsoo doesn’t reveal too much. Jongin’s attention switches to them who are returning and like expected, he wonders who Soojung is. He doesn’t recall Rihyang, Seulgi or Eunbi but none of that really mattered to them so Chanyeol, Sehun and Luhan took turns reintroducing their girlfriends, leaving Soojung out on purpose.

 

Even while sitting in a hospital gown with needles hooked up, Jongin still continues to be his playful self and his smile is still the same but they way he looks at her is totally different.

“Let me guess,” Jongin says as he makes an amused face at Soojung. “You’re Junmyeon Hyung’s girlfriend?”

Soojung turns to Junmyeon who inwardly sighs. “No.” She shifts uncomfortably while he continues to guess who’s girlfriend she is when she’s actually his. “I’m not any of their girlfriends.”

His mother snaps her gaze to Soojung who just so happens to look at her who’s telling Soojung to stay put with her piercing eyes. She sighs, lowers her head then turns back to Jongin.

“We're all friends,” Soojung tells him with the biggest smile she could pull.

“Oh,” Jongin nods slowly. “You seem like a cool girl, so I can see that. I’m sorry that I can’t remember you.”

She gives him a small smile despite the crushing pain inside of her. How do you look at the person you love and accept the fact that they have no memories of you?

 

Soojung asks that no one mentions their relationship until she’s told him herself and thankfully their large group of friends were able to understand and complied with her request.

 

***

 

It’s been awhile since Soojung has been able to just sit down in their shared apartment. Leo snuggles up next to her on the couch and she instantly digs her fingertips into the beautiful coat of hair. Leo’s grown so much in the weeks Jongin’s been in a coma that even if Jongin hadn’t forgotten them, he still wouldn't be able to recognize the big pup.

“What do we do baby?” Soojung asks the pup and his ears perk up at her voice. “Appa doesn’t remember us, what do we do?”

She sighs and lets the silence consume her. If she tells him, will he even believe her? To him, she’s someone he’s never met before and he woke up calling someone else’s name and wanted someone else’s touch. The pain in her chest becomes unbearable and it’s suffocating. There is nothing she can do besides hope that the love they shared can somehow come through and make him remember her.

 

The doorbell rings before the door snaps open a second later and Soojung turns around to find her cousin Sehun and Seulgi entering.

“I heard you needed company,” Sehun chirps as he drops off a bag of snacks on the counter before picking up Leo who dashes over to him with his tail wagging in the air. “Icecream?”

Soojung sighs and rises up from the couch. “What flavor?”

“Chocolate, cookie dough and green tea,” Seulgi names as she pulls out the separate tubs from the bag.

“Green tea sounds good right now.” She reaches out for the tug from Seulgi. “Anyways, did you guys get an update at all?”

They both shake their heads at her. “Junmyeon Hyung says he just keeps asking for Ariyoung.”

Soojung’s lips press into a hard line and he sighs. “We have to tell him, Jung. You’re his girlfriend and even if he doesn’t remember you, he deserves to know.”

“I will tell him,” she mumbles while fiddling with the lid of the ice cream tub. “I just can’t believe this is really happening. The love of my life doesn’t remember me or anything we had shared together.”

 

Seulgi pushes herself up to sit on the counter before digging back into her own tub. “What’s his ex’s name?”

“Ariyoung,” the cousins both answer at the same time.

Sehun his head as a thought crosses his mind. “I have a bad feeling about his mother. She really liked Ariyoung when they were dating and the fact that she doesn’t like you…”

“She wouldn’t do that to her own son,” Seulgi says in disbelief while Soojung watches on silently. “What makes her so good, or so much better than Soojung?”

“Well,” Sehun says sassily after a nice spoonful of ice cream. “She has a nice family background. Her father owns a lot of stocks to big companies and her mother is an entrepreneur. They also graduated from prestigious colleges from overseas.”

“Materialistic things does not make a person better,” Seulgi argues. “That’s bull.”

“To Jongin’s mother,” Sehun shrugs. “It does. Now I suggest you spend as much time as possible with him so it can trigger some memories.”

“I can’t do that with his mother around,” Soojung argues hopelessly.

“Well you can’t let him just forget you either,” Sehun retorts. “Just remember that we’re all trying to help you.”

 

“I believe he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter