t h r e e

Because To Me, It's You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As they walk home, hand in hand, Soojung listens carefully to the sound of her heart. She’s going to remember this feeling for the rest of her life. She’s going to memorize the way his hand fits in hers, the way he smells, the pace of her heart and how the autumn night just happens to be so perfect. She’s going to imprint his smile and laughter into her heart and hide it away until she’s strong enough to face it again one day.

 

They stop outside of her residence hall and he faces her but keeps a hold of her hand.

“Thanks for today,” Soojung says with a warm smile. “It was very fun.”

Jongin smiles. “It really was. We should do it again soon.”

She just nods and he reluctantly lets go of her hand before hesitating to pull her into a warm embrace.

 

Now she has to also remember the way his body aligns so perfectly with hers.

 

“Goodnight Soojung,” he ruffles her hair and she manages to give him a chuckle.

“Goodnight Jongin,” she says in return and his hand travels down her arm to her hands and lastly the tips of her fingers.

She turns to leave inside and just as she was about to enter, she turns around to glance at him once more. He waves and she just nods.

 

Goodbye Jongin.

 

She heads to her room and once the door closes behind her, she falls to the ground in complete despair. She likes him so much and she’s fallen so hard already, how can she possibly run from him now? His answer just echoes in the back of her head, breaking her down every time she plays it over. He answered wrongly. He was supposed to say yes, that he’ll never break her heart and he’ll protect her from everything. For a moment, she had begun to think that he would be different towards her.

 

***

 

Jongin’s calls become ignored then blocked. Soojung doesn’t show up on Tuesdays anymore and she hasn’t been getting her Friday macchiatos either. He waits but she never comes, he calls but she never picks up. Everything was going so well, so he can’t help but wondered what went wrong and what he did wrong. She’s so complicated and it that he likes her even more because of that reason.

 

A week turns into two and fall begins to transform into winter.

 

Stuffing her macbook into her bag, Soojung checks the time one last time before rushing out of her room. The cold wind slaps her across the face and she hisses as she wraps a knit scarf around her neck. Slipping out her phone, she makes a call to Jongdae.

“Oh, Oppa,” she says as she rushes her way through campus. “I’m on my way, I’ll see you in ten.” She slips in some earphones then stuffs her phone back into her pocket.

 

It’s been a month since Soojung’s been at the café. There has been some changes in decorations as red, white and green have dominated the entire café. There are new items on the menu as well but Soojung just wants her usual.

“Minseok Oppa!” Soojung exclaims as she pulls her hoodie down.

“Caramel Macchiato!” He answers and she snickers before turning to take a seat at her usual table.

“Anyways, where’s Jongdae Oppa?” She asks, pulling out her laptop along with a sketch pad.

“Right here.”

Soojung freezes because she knows that voice does not belong to Jongdae. She doesn’t dare turn around and lowers her head when Jongin slides into the empty spot he use to occupy. He sets down her mug and she holds back a needed sigh.

“I came instead of Jongdae Hyung,” he says quietly.

“Is this a joke?” Soojung asks, flickering her eyes up briefly.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter