No Sun Today

The Sky Is Falling

It was hazy alright.  Couldn't see a thing through the cigarette smoke.  The lowlighting was even darker because of the not-so-well-ventilated building.  Or maybe that was because the club was packed so tight, Lilia and I had to squeeze ourselves through the sardine can.


"This place is awesome!" Lilia squeeled.


I just managed to smile as I was d and elbowed as Lilia pulled me through to what appeared to be an empty table near the side of the stage.  How she found an available one was beyond me.  Lilia's luck was impeccable.  Lilia plopped herself in her seat and patted the seat next to her implying for me to sit there.  Timidly, I looked around and then sat next to her.  


"Oh my god!  This place is full of prime meat.  A+ prime meat!  Look over there!"  She pointed to two men at the bar, both talking to each other.  Both were absolutely astonishing.  They were both about the same size with dark hair. Except one was a little more muscular and the other had more of a chiseled jaw and nose.


"That one... the prettier one is mine.  Hands off that one!"  She staked her claim.


I rolled my eyes.  "What if I want him?"


"NO!  He's mine.  We might be friends but I'll kill you for that one."  She joked.


I laughed at her.  Then looked at the other one.  He wasn't as good looking as the other but yet his face was manly and his eyes were soft.  I'd have chose him in the end anyway.


As I was looking, he turned his face and our eyes met.  He cocked his head slightly and then smiled.  His eyes were kind, and the smile just accentuated that.  He bowed his head in acknowlegement and then went back to talking with the 'prettier one' that Lilia was set out to conquer.


Someone came out on stage.  The lights dimmed to almost complete darkness.  A beam of light flashed on the person speaking.  His red hair was bright as the light refracted off of it.  


"Everyone!  Are you ready to rock-n-roll!"


The crowd screamed.  People who were standing back or at their tables rushed forward to stand as close to the stage as possible.


"Oh my god!  Let's go!"  Lilia jumped up and as usual dragged me behind her as she rushed the stage like the others.  "We have to get up front..." I couldn't hear the rest she said because the screaming was so loud.  She pressed forward and we were only a few feet from the stage.


The crowd around us started jumping as the guitar began.  The lights went out and then they all came on, all the lights focused on the band on stage.  The band played, the singer screamed, the drums throbbed.  I could barely hear the keyboard.  I could barely see even through the throng of people though we were so close.  The jumping, the arms in my face, the occasional body rub or bump was very distracting.  I almost gave up when I got a small glimpse of the pink hair on stage.  The person in front of me wouldn't stop jumping, it was hard to see.


I saw something gleam at the ear.  He was looking down at the guitar he held.  It was a bass guitar, I think.  The earring was distracting.  It would flash and I would try to look at the face again.  I only saw bits of his face.  Sometimes half a smile, his Adam's apple, the top of his head as he looked down, his fingers with the many rings... Why wouldn't this person stop bouncing and jumping?  "Lilia!" I yelled, "I can't see.  Can you stop for a minute?"


She looked back at me, smiled, and mouthed "Oops."


When I looked back up, the pink haired guitarist was turned around and was playing to the drummer.  The drummer... looked very familiar.  Then I noticed the keyboardist... I rummaged through the files in my brain and then it hit me.  Wrinkles!


"Lilia!  The drummer... isn't he the father of Wrinkles?"  I leaned in and shouted into her ear.  "And the guy at the keyboad, isn't that his friend?"


She looked up and cocked her head.  Then leaned back into me, "You mean the from earlier today who thought his cat was dying?  At least his friend wasn't a loser."


I laughed and yelled, "Yes!"


She then flipped the bird at him.  "Guys like him annoy me."


I then focused again on the pink haired guitarist.  A part of me hoped it wasn't him.  I swallowed hard and prayed for the figure to turn around.  The song ended and the stage went black.  The lowlights came on and someone with a mic announced they were taking a break and would be back shortly.  The crowd dispersed and went back to their places.  Lilia grabbed me and headed for the bar.


"It's time for me to stake my claim on that piece of man-meat."


She walked over to the two guys who seemed to have never left their seats during the mini-concert in the club.  She walked straight over to the cutest one, "You!" She pointed.  "You're mine.  Got it."  Well, she said she would make him hers.  She definitely staked her claim on him.


"Huh?"  He looked at her quite funny.


"You are mine."  She stood there with her hands on her hips, haughtily.


"Excuse me.  We've never met, so how am I yours?"  He seemed amused to play her game.  The friend and I both looked at each other and we both shrugged our shoulders.


"Um, by the way, I'm Howon.  You can call me Hoya."  He reached out and we shook hands.  He introduced himself while the other two fought over who was whose.


"I'm Haneul.  The friend of the crazy one here."  We both laughed.


"Hey!  Did you call me crazy?!"  Lilia scoffed.


"I think she did.  Shall I call you Crazy?"  The cute one asked.


"You can call her Crazy, but she's most likely to respond to Lilia."  I chimed in.

 

Woohyun then looked at me.  Then he cocked his head and looked confused.  "She looks so familiar," he thought to himself.  "Where.... ?"  He came back to himself and remembered the cute little dark haire woman attached to him.


"L-i-l-i-a.... Lilia, I like that.  Lilia."  He reached out to shake her hand.


"I don't shake hands with strangers..."


"Ah, if I tell you my name, will we then be 'not strangers'?"  His smile was infectious and quite... What was the word... ?  Greasy.  He was very mischievous by that smile of his.  "My name is... Woohyun, but you can call me your Honey."  He laughed, his dimples were deep and quite handsome.


"And this is my very... um... gross friend, Woohyun.  He's the most slickest of all my friends."  Hoya smiled, his canines twinkled in the low light.  His smile was big and his jawline sharp.  He was definitely handsome in his own way.


"Guys!  You came!  How was the first set?"  


The guys looked at their friend who appeared out-of-the-blue, and we followed suit.


"You!" Both Wrinkles dad and Lilia said to each other.


"You know each other?" The two friends asked at the same time.


"She tried to kill Wrinkles..." he pointed to Lilia, "but she saved her, " he then pointed at me.  "The doc here is my Wrinkles' savior."


"I'm not a doctor yet.  I'm still an intern," I said.


"Stop!  You saved my Wrinkles.  I'm in debt to you."  He smiled brightly, and beyond his weirdness for his cat, he was cute.  "But as for you..." he growled at Lilia.  


Lilia grabbed Woohyun, "Honey, keep that freak away from me."


"Sungyeol, what did you do to her?  To my poor Lilia..."  Woohyun's smile was lopsided and his eyes twinkled.


"Your poor Lilia?!?!  You've got to be joking?  She's a witch.  Hell on two legs.  An evil being..."


"Alright, alright, alright!"  Woohyun laughed.  "I think we get your point."


Hoya at that moment looked up.  His hand went up and he waved to his friend.  "Hyung!  Over here."  


I looked up and what came towards us, was unexpected.  I immediately looked down and covered my face.  What I didn't want to happen... happened.


"Hyung!"  Hi-fives went all around the guys.  


"I see all of you found some babes while I was on stage."  He smiled brightly at his friends.  "All of you work fast..."


"Hyung, meet Lilia, who claims that I am hers."  Woohyun snickered at himself.  "And her friend... Oh, I never got her name."


Dongwoo looked at the small dark haired woman with the dark eyes.  She was plastered to Woohyun who seemed to not care that they had just met.  Then he looked at me.  The clothes were familiar but of a different color and pattern.  My hair was pulled back and I tried to avoid his gaze.


"Ha... neul..." he said softly.  He cocked his head.  "Is that you?" He asked again, softly.


"You know each other?"  Lilia let go of Woohyun and then looked at me who was blatantly obviously trying to hide myself in the nearest crack in the floor.  "You know my friend?" She then looked at Dongwoo, suspiciously.


"Um... yeah..." 


"How?!?!  She has no social life?"  Lilia was obviously upset and appalled that I never told her of this hot guy.


"We... well..." he scratched the back of his head, a little unnerved, "sort of crashed into each other."


"Is she the one that ed up your 'baby'?!"  Woohyun sat up straight in his chair, totally flabbergasted.  "It's her!?"  He pointed at me.  Then it hit him.  It was the woman on the subway.  He looked from Dongwoo to me and then back to Dongwoo.  Then he looked at Sungyeol who noticed that Woohyun recognized her.  He put his finger over his lips to keep Woohyun quiet.


"ed up his baby?!"  Lilia repeated.  "Haneul wouldn't harm a flea.  What bull are you spewing?!"


I finally looked up.  A tear dropped from my eye.  I tried to wipe it away.


"She's crying.  Why are you crying?"  Hoya said softly, obviously concerned.  Then he looked at Dongwoo who for the first time ever seemed quite uncomfortable.  "You didn't do anything to her, did you?"  He looked at Dongwoo suspiciously.  Hoya knew of Dongwoo's conquests and his inablility to attach to women.


"No, I didn't do anything that you think I did."  Dongwoo was embarrassed for the first time.


Everyone looked at me then.  "No," I croaked, "he didn't do anything to me." I lied.  Well, he didn't do 'THAT' but he did do something else... humiliate me.  "I think I better go now..." I scurried off to our table and grabbed my bag.


"Woohyun, I've got to go."  Lilia kissed him on the cheek.  "We're not finished yet." She winked and then ran to catch up to me.


"What just happened?"  Sungyeol asked.  "We were all getting along... minus the wicked witch... and then 'poof' they are leaving like we just kicked them out or something."


"That's what I want to know, too."  Hoya looked at Dongwoo.  "What REALLY happened between the two of you?"


"Nothing." Dongwoo watched us leave, and when we both went through the door completely, he turned around abruptly and left the other three standing there dumbfounded.


Hoya instinctively grabbed Dongwoo's arm and jerked him around.  "You can leave now and not say anything.  That's fine.  But when we get home, you will explain everything to me."  What Hoya didn't expect to see was a sad Dongwoo, holding back tears that were ready to fall...

 


 

"What happened?"  Lilia asked carefully.  She put her arm through mine and we slowly walked down the street to the bus.

I sniffed and then wiped a stray tear that almost fell from my eye.  I swallowed and then looked and her.  "Nothing."  I then forced out a smile.


"Don't lie to me.  You think I don't know you?"  


We made it to the bus stop and we sat down together on the bench.  It was quiet, it was late, and the after work crowds had practically disappeared.  "Like they said," I started, "I messed up his 'baby' aka his motorcycle.  He was the one who saved Hana..." 

"That pink-haired freak saved Hana?!  Then why all the crying and weird atmosphere?"


I bit my lip...


"I don't know... He found me on the subway the next day when I got off my shift at the hospital.  I guess I fell asleep, and he brought me home.  And..."


"Don't tell me he YOU?!"  Lilia's voice shook with anger.  "I'm going to kill him.."


I immediately grabbed her arm as she jumped up from the bench.  "No... he didn't.  But... he did stay with me through the night... I wasn't dressed... completely, but... I think his intention was to humiliate me... I jumped in front of him in the street... He crashed... "  I sputtered.


She looked down at me, "Okay, you helped him crash his bike.  But did that mean he had to degrade you in your own home?"  Her face was red, she was pissed.  "I'm going to kill that bastard.  How could he... ?  You aren't like other girls... You are so innocent...  Yep, he's dead!"  She tried to shake my hand off.  "That er saw you ..."


"Please don't.  It's over.  We have nothing to do with each other anymore."


Lilia turned around and looked at her pathetic friend.  Why did she feel this was not the end of it.  She put her other hand over mine, patted it, and then sat back down, reluctantly.  "Okay."

 


 

Dongwoo and Hoya sat across from each other.  The apartment was quiet.  The rest of the guys weren't home yet even though their concert gig was over hours ago.  Hoya patiently waited for Dongwoo to speak.  And that said a lot because Hoya's patience was fading... quickly.

When Dongwoo finally spoke, he was timid and uncertain.  He told the whole story to Hoya.  The more Hoya heard, the more angry he got.  But he kept quiet and waited for Dongwoo to stop and he told himself he wouldn't kill Dongwoo yet.
"Dongwoo-hyung, why did you do that?  I mean, she is obviously not the typical female you hang out with.  You can tell immediately by her demeaner and her eyes.  Her eyes tell the whole story."  Hoya scratched the back of his head in frustration.  "Just tell me why.  That's all I want to know."


"I don't know why.  When I saw her in the street, obviously I was pissed.  Then when I found out she risked her life for some little dog.  The next thing I know, I'm on my bike taking her and this pitiful dog to the animal hospital."  Dongwoo got up and walked to the tiny fridge on the floor and grabbed a can of beer.  He grabbed another, showed Hoya who then shook his head no that he didn't want one.  Dongwoo popped the top as he walked back to Hoya.  "After dropping her off, I thought to myself that she would be one of my conquests.  I even gave her my signature smile before I left her at the hospital."  When thinking back to that day, a small one of the those smiles appeared then quickly left as he took another sip.  "I completely forgot about her until the next day when I saw her on the subway.  I was pissed that my bike had to have work on it.  Yoojin was trying to get in my pants again at the dance studio.  I don't know... I just saw her asleep and that part of me that wanted to hurt her came out.  I had it planned in my head."  His eyes got red, not from tears, but from the alcohol he had already drank.  His body was starting to relax and his speech slurred.  "Howon, I swear when we were in her apartment, I didn't touch her in that way but I wanted to.  I really wanted to, but I held back.  And when she woke up, her scared face pissed me off.  She automatically assumed the worst of me and the next thing I know, I'm feeding her insecurities.  More so, for the fact that she was right.  I wanted to do the worst to her.  Then I got angry.  Angry at myself.  I saw the look on her face and I got angry at myself."  He sighed then and layed his head on the table.  "Howon, I'm the worst kind of human.  I hurt women.  I hurt her.  I'm exactly what she imagined me to be."  Then he cried himself to sleep.


Hoya sat there totally overwhelmed with this confession.  He loved his friend but knew that Dongwoo was a player and used women.  This was the first time that he heard the regret from Dongwoo.  And he wondered how this Haneul played a part in Dongwoo's change.


He patted Dongwoo on the head.  "Our Hyung is finally growing up..."