Mother Nature's Joke

The Sky Is Falling

"What are you doing?"  Dongwoo stepped back.  Panic filtered over his face.  His heartbeat quickened and fear struck him head on.

"I'm thanking you."

His hands shook, visibly.  Using his backpack as a crutch, he held onto the straps with both hands and tried to get control.  He took a step back. 

She smiled to herself.  She felt strangely relieved and, in some strange way, in control.

"Oh, okay."  He looked away, avoiding her eyes.  "Well, okay, we should go.  I promised your friend that I would take you home."  It was going to be the hardest and longest part of his day.

They walked together out of the dance studio.  He turned out the light.  Locked the door and led her out of the building. He was so used to her screaming at him, he felt odd walking her home.

 


 

They walked silently to the bus stop.  Dongwoo still clutching the strap of his backpack as if his life depended on it.  Occasionally, the sounds of tires rolling over puddles in the street as the taxis and cars drove passed would break the silence.  The rain had stopped earlier on, puddles littered the street everywhere.

They arrived and sat on the bench at the bus stop.  Dongwoo sat at one end, Haneul chose to sit near him.  As they waited, more people appeared and sat near them.  Haneul eventually ended up hip-to-hip with him.  He hissed between his teeth, their bodies touching was like someone branding him with a firey-hot iron.  He immediately stood up and leaned against the metal partition that held the latest ad with a Korean drama star advertising the latest cosmetic product.

He couldn't do this much longer.  When she was angry with him, it was easier to keep away from her.  This... closeness... had his every nerve frayed and he was on edge.  If he hadn't promised Lilia to take care of her, he'd have seriously left.  Well, maybe not left her alone, maybe following her would have been a better option.

The bus came and when he entered.  He stomach hit the floor.  Why was the bus so empty?  He rolled his eyes and chose a seat near the window.  Of course, she chose the seat next to him.  He turned his head towards the window and did his best to ignore the warmth that emenated from her body.  He didn't want to be close to her... physically or emotionally.  She said that he had to respect himself.  Respect?  He didn't have any of that.  He told himself time-and-time again that he wasn't the right guy for her.  At one time, he dreamed of being 'that' guy.  But he's done so many terrible things in his past, that if she knew, she would learn to eventually hate him.  He would rather have her feel nothing for him than hatred of any kind. 

"Dongwoo, we've met before.  Well, not met, but..."

"Huh?"  He turned his head to her.  She fidgeted with her scrubs that no longer clung to her skin.  That thought turned him a whole other shade of red.  He turned his face back to the window to hide his embarrassment.

"Your earring... I've seen it before."

He touched his ear out of habit.  He remembered her yelling at him last night about his earring.  The skull and crossbones earring.  "You mean the one that you found at your apartment."

"Yeah.  It triggered a memory from when I was in high school.  I was running to my taekwondo practice and I came upon you... Um... with a girl... in the park..."

He cocked his head.  High school, he'd been with a lot of girls.  Well, out of high school, too.

"I don't remember."

"Um... the girl was from my high school.  You had short, dark hair then.  You were from another school... I don't know how to explain this without embarrassing myself..."

"Then don't."  He didn't want to be reminded of something years ago.

She ignored him and went on.  "I remember you with the earring.  The sun reflected off the stones and it sparkled... I couldn't stop staring... at them... (at you.)"

"Uh-huh." He didn't want this conversation.  He didn't know how to tell her to just shut up.  He didn't want to get to know her or get close to her.  Every breath and every second brought them too close all ready.

"You saw me... I was hiding in the brush..."

He went back in time and thought of many of his escapades in the park, in any park. 

"I was wearing my white uniform..."

He remembered now.  She had longer hair then, it was pulled into a ponytail.  She was dirty from crawling on the ground.  A smudge on her cheek.  Her dirty hands had wiped off sweat and left a mark.  She was very curious.  He remembered her eyes, how they held onto his.  She had interested him.  Even though he had another girl in his lap, he remembered wanting to see her again.  She had left so suddenly.  He remembers being disappointed.  He'd pushed the other girl off of him and told her he was done playing with her... then he ran off to look for her.  Knowing that he found her, here, years later... was a strange fate.

"Oh," was all he could say.

She gave up trying to reminisce with him.  She was confused and wanted some kind of connection with him.  But he had put up a wall, and she wanted to tear it down, but didn't know how.  She didn't know why he was doing this.  Everything was settled now.  She didn't like his silent treatment.  When they were angry with each other, even arguing was better than this.

The bus braked and they swayed forward.  Haneul jumped up with Dongwoo behind her and they made their way out of it.  Again the silence was deafening.  They walked together the block to her apartment.  Every so often, his hand brushed hers.  He couldn't take it anymore and he stuffed it into the pocket of his jacket that he had put on before leaving the dance studio.

Before they knew it, he was standing with her in front of her door.  She lifted the slide on her door and she punched in her code.

She changed her PIN.  Why do I feel like crap knowing she changed it?  That PIN was our link to one another.

As if reading his thoughts, "I had to change my PIN code, because at the time I didn't know who brought me home that night.  I was scared... so..."

"That was the smart thing to do."

They stood there at the door for a bit, then Dongwoo turned to leave.

"Dongwoo, can we talk for a littl..."

"No."  He kept walking.

He felt a pull at his arm, he looked down and saw her fingers wrapped around his elbow.  He turned.  He pushed her into the wall and slammed both hands onto the wall on either side of her head.  That light touch was the trigger that snapped a frayed nerve.

Under his breath, "Stop.  Just stop.  You don't know what kind of person I am.  So stop tempting me..."

She was shocked.  Her eyes were wide and she was scared.  Not scared like he-was-going-to-hurt-her scared, but scared nonetheless.  "I... d-don't... und-derstand..."

He sort of growled and pressed himself into her body.  His nose just centimeters from hers.  She could smell his breath.

"I don't want to hurt you... again.  So, now that all is settled, let's not see each other again.  Unless... you want me to keep doing this..."  He rubbed his crotch against her lower belly.  "I don't know how much longer I can hold on..."

"Wh-What?"

"You aren't the kind of girl I can play with.  You're different.  So, I don't want to hurt you..." He hissed.

"I'm not the kind of girl you can play with?  How am I different?"  She challenged.  For some reason, making him mad was the only way she could get him to talk.  He was talking to her now compared to moments ago...

"You're a good girl.  I don't play with good girls..."

"How do you know I'm not a bad girl?"

"You just aren't the bad kind of..." He was stopped.  Her free hand pulled his head that was already so close to hers.  There lips bumped hard.  At first, it was awkward but then she took his lips into her own.  He tried to pull back but she held onto him tight.  He had his eyes wide open to her closed ones.  She took those lips and them.  Those lips she remembered from earlier, they were soft and warm.  She discovered later that 'the kiss in her dream' was CPR he had used on her.  His thick lips had to be kissed.  She'd wanted to do this for sometime since she came to.  Her other free hand, roamed up underneath his jacket, his shirt, and she felt for that scar.  That badge of courage that saved her.  She touched it lightly and then rubbed it with her thumb. 

Dongwoo warred in his mind between heaven and hell.  He, too, wanted this for so long but she wasn't the kind he liked to mess with.  She had been broken too many times.  She was too delicate for him.  But he wanted her so badly.  His heart won over his brain.  He melted into her and a moan or a growl vibrated in his throat.  His mind went crazy and he wanted to be close to her.  The hands that had been on the wall beside her head were now at her waist and he pulled her closer.  Her scrubs were so thin, her body's warmth was so enticing.  He pulled her legs up and they encircled his waist.  Only their clothing kept them from consumating their union.  He slid his hands up underneath into her top and encircled her s.  She gasped.  She tried to push him back but he was too far deep now.  His hands frantically went down and grasped both cheeks of her behind.  He slowly pulled the bottoms down...

"Dong... woo... stop..."

"..."

"Dongwoo... we.. can't...

"..."

He could no longer hear her, the blood rushed through his body and hummed.

"Please..." She tried to push him back... "Please... Dongwoo..."

She started hitting him in the chest.  His thick lips were now around her neck and he was taking from her. 

"You... feel... and smell... so... good..."

"Not... here...  Dongwoo!" She yelled at him. 

Like out of a trance, he came to.  Her hair was dissheveled.  His too.  His hands were still in her pants.  Her hands were pushed against his chest. 

He pulled away and dropped her legs back to the ground.  She adjusted her clothes and patted her hair back into place. 

"I'm sorry.  I was too much...  See, I hurt you..." 

"Dongwoo, that's not it..."  Haneul tried to say.

"I'll go.  Like I said it's better if we avoid each other..."

"This isn't the place to mak...." She didn't get to finish her sentence. 

He turned and ran down the hall.  Hell had won. 

Dongwoo, doing it in the hallway in front of my apartment isn't the place we should do this.  Why didn't you let me finish?  I just wanted to go inside my apartment...

She stood there dumbfounded.  She needed to talk to someone about him.  She wanted to know why he was so afraid of her.  When they first met, he was never this way at all.  What made him change?

 


 

Sunggyu had Sungyeol by the ear and practically dragged him through the lobby of the clinic.  "Today, I'm bringing you, so stop arguing with me!"

"But Hyung..."

"This is that ugly cat's last visit.  I'm tired of you making excuses when the band's drummer thinks it's okay to go MIA with the excuse that his cat is sick.  No more.  I'm finding out about that god-awful creature for once and for all..."

Lilia heard the commotion and snickered behind her hand.  It seems she and Sunggyu were made from the same mold... called 'feisty.'

Lilia hid her smile and tried to look as professional as she could.  "So, Kitty-boy, what's wrong with your brat this time?"  She was ready for a cocky, spiteful reaction.  Instead, she was stupidified.

Without looking her in the eye, "Um... Wrinkles is fine.  She is here for her 6-month check-up."  He kept his vision above her head, which was easy since he was tall and she was short.

Confused with his bland reaction, "So, do you have an appointment?"

"No."

Haneul walked into the reception area from the back and smiled big for Sungyeol.  He smiled back, "Hey, Doc!  Long time, no see!"  His reaction to Haneul was a completely, total different reaction compared to when he greeted Lilia.  Lilia was slightly jealous, and she didn't know why.

"Sungyeol!  How is Wrinkles?"

"She's fine, Doc.  Just here for a check-up!"  Haneul grabbed the cage and looked inside.  A bald cat was sleeping soundly.

"Doc... I can call you Doc, right?"  Sunggyu chimed in.  He wasn't in a good, as usual. 

"Of course."  Haneul smiled.  Sunggyu, sort of, smiled back.  "What brings you here?  Are you guarding Sungyeol this time?"

Sungyeol frowned.  Lilia snickered.  Sungyeol ignored her.

"Yeah, I don't trust this lout as far as I can throw him."  Sunggyu looked at Sungyeol, his lip curled.

"The Sungyeol I know loves this cat, right here.  I think you have nothing to worry about when it comes to this feline... and Sungyeol."

"Yeah, right.  The giant is -whooped by his cat."  Lilia said under her breath.

Sungyeol heard her and gave her a chastising look.  Then he looked away and ignored her some more.

"Let me take the cat back and I'll be right back.  I'm sure Wrinkles is just fine and we'll be back out shortly."  Haneul smiled at both Sunggyu and Sungyeol and walked away.

To Sungyeol, "Is she always that... happy?" Sunggyu asked.

"When it comes to animals, there isn't anything that makes her happier."  Lilia replied.  Sungyeol looked at her then and he his lip curled and rolled his eyes away from her. 

"Is there something wrong with you today?  Did something crawl up your and die?"  Lilia said under her breath, to Sungyeol.

Sungyeol just ignored her. 

"Why are you being a jackass to... Lilia is her name, right?"  Sunggyu whispered behind Sungyeol's shoulder.  Sunggyu was just getting used to everyone. 

Sungyeol just ignored Sunggyu and walked to an empty seat in the reception area.  He leaned back, crossed his legs at the ankles and placed both hands, clasped, in his lap.  When he looked at Lilia, the rage started to boil.  He didn't know Woohyun and she were together.  He didn't like it... at all.  If there was going to be any guy around Lilia, it was to be him.  He closed his eyes.  He didn't know why he was thinking that way.  It wasn't like they were friendly, but yet... he thought they had some kind of connection.  Didn't they?  Woohyun was a player, didn't she know that?  He was frustrated. 

What is his deal?  Really?  Lilia just stared at him.  It's not like she did anything to him.  Well, they weren't arguing like they always do.  They weren't talking at all.  Or he wasn't, anyway, and it pissed her off.  He just sat there with his eyes closed as if she didn't exist.  She wanted to strangle him.  She clenched her fists at both her sides just thinking of it.  She stood there thinking, and she was going to make him pay for being such an .  She smiled.  So many evil ways to make him pay.


 


 

"Wrinkles Dad!  She's ready to go home!"  Haneul exclaimed as she brought the cat out, cradled in her arm.  The other arm carrying the pet carrier.  "She's perfect!"  Her smile was wide and all perfectly straight teeth gleemed.

"My baby!"  Sungyeol yelled as he jumped up from his seat. 

Lilia reached over and grabbed Wrinkles and placed her on her shoulder.  The cat purred. 

Sungyeol immediately slowed to a stop.  His sneakers squeaked when the rubber scraped the sparkling, marbled tile floor. 

"Give me my cat."  Sungyeol stated.

"No."

"Give... me... my... cat." 

"N...O..."

"Lilia, quit being childish, give him his cat."  Haneul tried to help.

Lilia turned to Haneul which made Haneul take a few steps back.  Lilia was fuming mad.

Sunggyu whispered to Haneul, "What is happening here?  And why does the look she is giving him, scare the death out of me?"

"I think we should leave or we'll become shrapnel in this battle."  Haneul walked inbetween both of them.  "Um... why don't you both take this 'conversation' to the back.  Okay?"  She pointed to the door that separated the lobby from the clinic area.  "You're scaring our customers.  Just take an available room.  I think y'all need to hash this out..."

"Haneul, good idea!"  Lilia stalked away and went through the doors.  Sungyeol followed.  Both of his hands, fisted, to his sides. 

Lilia found an empty room and placed Wrinkles on the exam counter.  Sungyeol walked through the door, and then Lilia him.

"What the is wrong with you?  Huh?" 

Sungyeol ignored her and went to his cat.  Lilia not taking the silence well, grabbed his arm and forced him to turn around. 

"I can deal with you yelling at me.  I can't deal with your obtuse, childish ways.   But I can't deal with your silent treatment!"

He pushed her hand off his arm. "Don't touch me, " he hissed.

"What?  That's all you have to say?"

His eyes got wide and he really, really tried to keep his anger on simmer.  But this was Lilia and she really knew how to piss him off.  "I'm really trying to keep from killing you, so would you mind just shutting your trap." 

"No, I want to know why you are treating me this way?"

"What am I to you?  We aren't friends, not lovers.  How am I supposed to treat you?"

Lilia stood there.  She realized he was right.  What was she to him?  What was he to her?  She crossed her arms.  But still, he was acting different and she didn't like it. 

"Even so, you are acting strange to me.  I just want to know why..."

His breathing became heavy.  His chest rose and fell.  He grabbed her by both arms, his strength left imprints into her arms.  He pulled her up, she was practically on the tips of her big toes.  "Is this better?"  He slammed his lips down on hers.  His tongue immediately inserted itself.  She could barely breath.  He wouldn't let her.  He took what he could from her.  The sword play between tongues, the of her upper lip, the biting of her lower lip.  He senseless. 

At first she was off-guard, not knowing what to do.  But eventually she gave in.  For some reason, this was something she wanted.  His kiss was awkward at first, but she was able to maintain his momentum.  In the end, she mirrored his actions and kissed him back.

He thought he was going to die.  He wanted to do this so badly, but images of her and Woohyun kept creeping into his thoughts.  He warred with them, fighting them away, but they came back.  He pushed Lilia away, she staggered back.  Her lips swollen, her eyes... her eyes looked confused. 

"Sorry..."  He grabbed Wrinkles and practically ran out the door.  Haneul and Sunggyu were talking amicably when Sungyeol ran out.  He grabbed the pet carrier and stalked out the door.  "Hyung, let's go!"  Both Sunggyu and Haneul looked at each other confused.  Sunggyu shrugged his shoulders at Haneul and left behind the giant called Sungyeol.

Lilia, was still in the room, her fingertips touched her swollen lips.  Tears formed at the edges of her eyelids.  She fell back into the wall and slid down.  Her knees came up to her chest, she crossed her arms and rested her head on the top of them.  Then she cried.