The Lightening Strikes!

The Sky Is Falling

Myungsoo walked out of the apartment with Sungjong who shadowed behind him most of everywhere he went since that fateful day in high school.  He reached into his bag and placed on his shades that were black that matched his black plain t-shirt and black jeans.  Sungjong, who was the opposite of him, had on white cotton shorts and a pale, pink pin-striped shirt.  He, too, wore shades but they were as white as the shorts he wore.  They both casually walked down the stairs that led to the street.  Myungsoo's apartment wasn't far from Dongwoo-hyung's and since they hadn't heard from anyone from last night, they settled on investigating Dongwoo first. 

Sungjong never really said anything to Myungsoo.  They each understood the other for such a long time now that they didn't need to speak.  They already knew what the other wanted or was thinking.  So talking was irrelevant.  But when Myungsoo stopped suddenly, it had taken Sungjong by surprise.  It was unexpected of Myungsoo.  Myungsoo's arm came up and lightly touched Sungjong's chest, with his other hand, his finger went over his lips to inform Sungjong not to say a word.  Myungsoo looked around.  His ears slightly moved as he focused on their surroundings.  He slowly scanned the area, his eyes hidden behind his very dark shades, did not give away as to what he was looking at.

After a few moments, Myungsoo's arm came down and he relaxed.

"Hyung, what just happened?"

"I don't know.  I just got this strange feeling come over me.  I felt like we were being watched."

"Who would be watching us?" Sungjong asked.  The hairs on his spine prickly his shirt, giving him the eebie-jeebies.

"That's what I would like to know."  Myungsoo's instincts were rarely ever wrong.  And that feeling that they were being watched didn't go away.

 


 

Three guys were sitting in a car, lying low.  They had been there all night waiting for someone else to come out.  They were tired and dirty.  They were tired of waiting.  But they couldn't move or do anything until their boss said to.

 


 

Dongwoo and Haneul came out of the apartment hand-in-hand.  Smiles on their faces, so infectious.  Eyes twinkling, so relaxed and happy for that moment.  Dongwoo had changed into a pair of loose-fitting jeans and a black tank-top.  His slightly long, dark hair covering one of his eyes. 

With an almost skip in their step, they quickly headed down the stairs to the ground.  A date to the park was on the agenda.  Haneul didn't have work till that evening, it was her turn to watch over the kept patients and stay for those late emergencies. 

As they turned the corner, they almost bumped into the two men who were on their way to meet them.

"Hyung!"  Sungjong said.  He looked over Haneul who had her hand tightly clamped within Dongwoo's.

"Where are you two going?"  Myungsoo chimed in.  He smiled, his eyes hidden behind the dark shades, but you could tell his eyes crinkled on the ends from the sincerity of it.

Dongwoo smiled and held up their hands that were encased with the other.  "Date," was all he said.  Then his smile faded.  He looked around.  Something was wrong.  He felt it.  Myungsoo noted the same reaction as his.

"You feel it, too," was all Myungsoo said.

Dongwoo nodded.

"What are you talking about?"  Haneul was confused from their cryptic words.  She frowned when they both frowned.

"I felt it when we got closer to your apartment.  I think someone is watching you, Hyung."

"It's because of her."  Sungjong didn't hide his spite of her.  He liked her at the beginning but seeing her with Hyung just made his red blood turn green.  "She is ruining Hyung," he thought.

Myungsoo nudged Sungjong in the arm, as if he knew what Sungjong was thinking.  And he most probably did.

"Did anything happen since... something did, didn't it?"  Myungsoo saw the look between Haneul and Dongwoo-hyung and he felt their spark.

"It's a long story to tell, the guys can give you the run down.  They all crashed at my place.  They are there." He pointed up towards his apartment.

"So it IS because of her..." Sungjong seethed.

Myungsoo nudged him again and gave him a look to behave.

"We can't stand here much longer.  If they are watching, it means they have intent for something else."  Myungsoo, who was obviously clever, stated.

"Where should we go?  The park is in the open..."

"No, I won't let them ruin this day.  There are lots of people at the park at this time of day. So we should be okay."  He smiled down on Haneul.  He really didn't want to ruin this day.

Myungsoo nodded and dragged the obviously jealous Sungjong behind him.  They both turned the corner and ran up the stairs to Dongwoo's apartment to get the latest news and to find a Sungyeol and Woohyun cuddling on the floor and a Hoya and Sunggyu laughing and taking candid photos to torment them with.

 


 

"I think they are on to us."  He sat in the driver's seat, one had holding his phone to his ear, the other tapping the wheel in frustration. 

"What do you mean?"

"I got the feeling they knew we were watching them.  I can't explain it.  Like they all of sudden went on guard."

"So what are you doing?"

"Jihoon and Woojin left to follow the girl, I'm about to leave to watch her house."

"This is going nowhere.  As long as she is around those guys, we'll never get her.  I have another plan.  It will bring her to us, rather than us taking her."  He laughed as he hung up the phone.  Yes, his plan was much better than his sister's.  She was an idiot only thinking of that guy.  He just wanted to get the girl.  He had a history with that !

 


 

Haneul had a lovely day at the park.  Dongwoo took her to a secluded area of the Han River but close enough for people to see them.  They bought street food and ate it under a large tree in the shade and watched people enjoy their day in the water.  Kids in swimsuits with floaties, jet skiers, boaters, and a few people floating on intertubes.  It was a such a nice relaxing day.  Dongwoo didn't say much, neither did she.  He layed his head in her lap and took a nap and she wistfully played with his longish-hair as he drifted asleep, he angelic face resting upon her belly.  It was such a nice, wonderful day.

But she was home now.  She had to get ready for work and catch the bus.  She had two emergencies that had come in that afternoon that Lilia texted her that was left in her after-care.  One was hit by a car and the other had gotten into a box of balloons from a birthday party and ingested almost the whole thing.  Both had been operated on, and were in ICU and recovering.

She grabbed her overnight bag, as she called it, an extra pair of clothes to change into tomorrow after work, some make-up, and essentials for emergencies.  She ran out the door, checked the door to make sure it was locked, and then immediately ran to the elevator to catch a ride down. 

Once she was on her way, her hairs stood on end and she soon realized what Dongwoo and Myungsoo had meant.  She looked around but saw nobody that looked of interest.  Everyone was in a rush to get home from work, where she was in a rush to get to work.  She shook off the feeling and hoped she could make the bus before it left.

 


 

"Dr. Kim, why are you here?"  The nurse asked, her eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"I'm on duty.  Why?"

"Lilia, on her way home, was going to notify you not to come to work. Dr. Park had another emergency and decided to stay the whole night."

"Why would Lilia come to my house?  She could have called."  Haneul frowned.  She hated Lilia's surprises.

"She said something about going out and meeting up with the guys and discussing those pictures... or something like that.  I couldn't really make out everything.  She was giggling to herself like a little girl."  The nurse clucked her tongue like a mother hen.

Haneul now understood.  But Lilia never came to her house.

"When did Lilia leave?  Surely, she knew my schedule."

The nurse looked at her watch and then bit her lip.  "I want to say she left an hour before your shift."

Haneul knew that was more than enough time.  Even in traffic, by bus, it took only about 30 minutes.  Haneul pulled out her phone and dialed Lilia's number.  The call was answered by her voice mail.  She dialed again.  Still the same.

"Thanks!"  Haneul ran out the front door of the animal hospital, back to the bus stop.  While waiting, she changed her mind and caught a cab and headed to the only place she thought she would be.

 


 

Woohyun and Sungyeol were not in an amicable mood.  They had been teased since they woke up that morning incessantly from Sungjong and Sunggyu.  The photos had been passed around and snickered at.  Even sent over on their private SNS. 

They were now back at their apartment, Hoya and Myungsoo sat quietly at the table talking dance and music.  Sungjong and Sunggyu, rarely on talking terms, were in a corner of the room giggling like school girls over the pictures.  Both Woohyun and Sungyeol sat on the couch, arms crossed, fuming at each other.  One blaming the other for their predicament.

The doorbell rang and Myungsoo answered. 

"Hey!"  Was heard then a loud crash.  A haggard looking Haneul rushed in, looking throughout the home for what she had lost. 

"What's up with her?"  Hoya asked Myungsoo.  Myungsoo replied with a shrugging of the shoulders.

"Where's Lilia?"  Haneul checked the bedrooms, then closets, and bathrooms.  No door was left closed.

Woohyun and Sungyeol came out of the living room shocked at the crazy that Haneul was being.  They both looked at Myungsoo and Hoya with questioning looks and replied again with shrugging shoulders.

Haneul rushed into the living room, tossing cushions and looking under tables.  "This isn't funny, Lilia!  Where are you?"  She went outside on the balcony and checked every corner.  "Lilia, you're pissing me off and I don't like being worried.  Please, answer me."  She kept running though the apartment. 

Woohyun grabbed her by the arm as she tried to pass by to go through the house a second time.  "Why are you looking for Lilia here?" 

Haneul shook his hands off.  "There is no other place she would be."  Woohyun became worried by the wild look in Haneul's eyes. 

Sungjong and Sunggyu finally stood with the others just as bewildered and confused.  "Did you check her house?"  Sunggyu asked.

"No, but she wouldn't be there.  She was supposed to meet me before I went to work, but she never arrived.  I thought maybe someone here would have delayed her."  She looked at Woohyun and then quickly at Sungyeol.

"Why would we delay her?"  Sungjong asked, totally not in the know of the romance brewing in his home.

"I'm really worried.  She's not answering her phone and she would NOT avoid calling me or coming to my house to inform me of the work change."

"She could have just called you... I mean, why would she come to your house for a schedule change..."  Again Sungjong asked, annoyed with Haneul.

"There was something she wanted to discuss that happened this morning..."  She looked at Woohyun and Sungyeol again.  They both growled at the other.  "And since... I don't know.  Lilia is NEVER unreachable and not being able to get ahold of her has got me worried."

Sungyeol walked off toward the entry way and immediately started getting his shoes on.  "Are you coming or not?"  Sungyeol asked as he walked out the door.  Haneul rushed off behind him... then the others followed.  Sungyeol's stomach was tied in knots.  "This can not be happening," he thought.

They all broke off into groups.  They checked her apartment.  The grocery store.  The subway.  The emergency animal clinic that Haneul met Dongwoo at.  They checked parks, bus stops, and all the stores and shops in between.  But nothing.  Haneul dropped to her knees in front of a convenience store in tears.  Lilia was nowhere.

 


 

She tried to open her eyes but they were covered.  She tried to yell but was covered.  She couldn't move, her arms were tied behind her back and her legs tied together.  She felt alone and confused.  She tried to remember how she came that way but her head hurt.  She didn't know that blood was now dried to her hair and clothes, blood that had seaped from a wound to the back of the head.  She had been unconscious for hours.  She didn't know how long or what time it was.  It was all dark to her.  Her instincts told her the room was dark.  It was cold.  She was cold.  She tried to cry but only pain throbbed in the back of .  It was useless.

 


 

She felt her phone vibrate in her pocket.  The buzzing was incessant as she pulled it out and she saw Lilia's number.  She smiled and answered the phone immediately.

"Hey!  Where are you?  Do you know how worried I've been?"

"Hello, Haneul."

She pulled the phone away and looked at the number again.  It was definitely Lilia's.  Why was there a man on the line?

"Who is this?"

"You don't remember my voice?  I'm completely heartbroken."  He was just dripping with sarcasm.

"I don't know who you are are, but get Lilia on the phone."

"No."

"No?"

"I'm hurt that you've already forgotten me."  Chills ran up her spine.  "Lilia can't come to the phone right now... she's... all... tied... up... at the moment." Then he laughed, it was deep and sarcastic and familiar.

"What have you done with her?  If you do anything to her..."

"You'll kill me, right?"  He laughed some more.  "I want to see you die... trying..."

The phone went silent and she thought he hung up then her heard his breathing...

"If you want your friend back, you'll have to come to me... alone.  Don't bring your friends.  We know who and where they are...  I'll send you a text of where we can meet again.  Goodbye, Haneul.  Till we meet again..." Then the phone really went silent.  He'd hung up.  got tight and she sobbed.  She sobbed for herself, she sobbed for her friend, she sobbed for what she was about to do.

 


 

The guys collected themselves at a park near their apartment.  They searched everywhere and couldn't find Lilia.  Woohyun and Sungyeol were noticeably more agitated than the others and their bickering and blaming started to get on the others' nerves.

"It's been hours now, where is Haneul?  She can't still be looking..."  Hoya had his hands on his hips.  His left eyebrow rose as he looked at the others.

"Didn't she say that she would meet us here, or go home?"  Sungjong still annoyed at Haneul looked at his hands and pretended he had to clean his nails.

"This is getting crazy.  How could we have lost her, too?"  Sunggyu squatted down on his haunches and raked his hair with his fingers in frustration. 

"Is anyone going to tell Dongwoo?  Geez, he's going to freak out!"  Sungjong exclaimed.

Woohyun and Sungyeol stayed quiet.  They had no clue what to do.  Lilia had been missing for hours and now Haneul disappeared.  It was getting dark out and time was ticking.

Myungsoo turned around abruptly.  That feeling of being watched again had his hairs on his neck stand on end.  "They're back."  He said calmly.  It was casually said, so the others were a bit confused by the statement.  "Let's go inside.  We're being watched."  He started walking to the apartment and then turned and headed for Dongwoo's. 

Sungjong ran up from behind and asked, "You don't think this has anything to do with Lilia and Hanuel, do you?"

The others caught up and heard the end of Sungjong's question.  "What's going on Myungsoo?"  Sunggyu asked.  His temper was starting to flair and he wanted answers.

"We've been watched since this morning or even longer than that, that I can tell."  Myungsoo's voice never faltered or changed.  He spoke like it was a normal conversation and only stated the facts.  "I don't know why, but I don't feel like them being missing is a coincidence."  Myungsoo shoved both of his hands into his pockets and kept walking, aware that 'that' aura was still around. 

 


 

Dongwoo walked out of the bathroom, his hair still wet from his shower, an oversized towel draped around his hips.  With another towel, he rubbed voraciously at his hair wiping up what water was left on his head. 

The door opened unexpectedly and all of his friends walked in.  Every single one of them frowning. 

"Dongwoo, you need to sit down."  Sunggyu pulled out a chair and tapped it, indicating that he needed to sit there.

Sungyeol and Woohyun walked through the apartment, hoping that both the girls were there.  Hidden somewhere, anywhere.  Both displeased to find nothing.

"What's going on that all of you look like someone died?"

They all looked at each other with a knowing look and not sure how to go about telling him the bad news. 

"Hyung... when was the last time you spoke to Haneul?"  Hoya asked.  Not able to look at Dongwoo.

"You know already.  After the park, when I took her home.  Why?"  A terrible feeling started to eminate in the pit of his stomach.

"Lilia is missing Hyung."  Woohyun stated.  "She was supposed to meet Haneul this evening before her shift but never made it."

"Haneul came to our apartment looking for her.  We all left to search for her but now we can't find Haneul either..."  Hoya finished.

Dongwoo's innocent eyes hardened.  He looked to each of them.  "Are you saying that Lilia and Haneul are missing... ?"  At that moment, he jumped out of his seat and grabbed his phone.  There were no messages since he took his shower.  He then dialed Hanuel's number.  Her phone rang but nobody answered.  He dialed again, still no answer.  He then slammed the phone down, with enough force to crack the screen.

"So why are all of you here?  Why aren't you still out there looking for them?  Woohyun!  This is Lilia and you're here!"  He then looked at Sungyeol who turned away.  "!"  He grabbed his clothes off his bed that he layed out and immediately put them on.  "Let's go find them.  !"  He kept muttering curses.  Frustration was evident in his body language.

Sunggyu grabbed Dongwoo with enough force to turn him around.  "Where do we go look?  We don't know what happened.  And we can't even call the cops because we don't know if they are even really missing and it hasn't been 24 hours."

"Hyung, you felt like we were being watched this morning, I think..." Myungsoo started.

Dongwoo punched the wall.  It had to be Yoojin.  She was playing her dirty games.  If she hurt either one of them...

"Hoya, is she still dancing at the school?"  Dongwoo practically spit out.

"Um... yeah, probably."

Dongwoo pushed away from Sunggyu and stalked out the door.  The rest followed.

 


 

Her phone kept vibrating in her pocket.  She knew who it was and it killed her not to answer it, but he said to come alone.  She had to find Lilia.  And the address that was texted to her, was outside the city of Seoul.  She took the subway as far as she could then caught the local country bus and rode it to the texted destination.   Now she was on an empty farm road, walking not knowing where it led her.

It was an hour later that she arrived to the house.  It was obviously a deserted place.  Weeds everywhere.  Grass to her knees.  The house was barely standing.  A latrine outside encased in a thin, rectangular shack.  It, too, barely standing.  And even worse, night was falling and the place seemed even creepier than it was.

She walked to the front door and rang the bell.  No sound.  Of course, the place had no electricity, so no door bell would sound.  She knocked gently.  No sound from the inside.  She walked to the window.  It was completely covered in cobwebs and dust.  Barely visible with the eye to see inside.  She used her sleeve to wipe the glass but only cleaned the outside but the indoor panes were just as bad.  She walked back to the door and knocked again, a bit louder.  No sound.  She pulled out her phone to check the GPS address on her phone.  She was sure she was in the right place.

From behind her, he crept.  No sound.  And with speed of Superman, he brought the black, heavy bag over her body.  He hit her on the head and kicked her to the ground.  He beat her till her body stopped moving.  And when she stopped, he tied the bag closed around her feet.  Then he tied rope around her body to keep her from moving, compacting her all nice and tight.  He picked up the unconscious form and slung her over his shoulder and carried her away.  Her fate was now sealed.