The Sky is Pink...

The Sky Is Falling
She screamed from the pain.  The contractions were coming in steady now.  No time to breathe.  After one contraction ended, another began.
 
Haneul drove as fast as she could without breaking traffic laws to the hospital.  Her patient would die if she didn't get her there safely.  It seemed Murphy's Law was in effect and was vastly determined to slow her progress down.  She seemed to catch every red light or found a slow driver in the fast lane.
She only had 5 miles to go.  Her patient just had to wait just a few more minutes and they would be there. 
 
"Hana, we're almost there."
 
The response was another wail and cry.
 
Haneul didn't realize she was spilling tears.  One dropped one after another, the more she worried and the more determined she tried to get there.
 
She came to another red light, and without realizing yet again, curses spewed out of as she beat the poor steering wheel that did nothing to deserve it.  The light finally turned green and she immediately pressed the gas but the car started then sputtered and then it crawled across the intersection and died.  More curses spewed out.
 
"Hana, hold on."  Haneul reached down and pulled the handle that popped the hood of the car.  "It'll all be okay."  Before leaving the car, she reached back and patted the blonde head of her patient.
 
She immediately alighted and faced the challenge of the broken car.  No steam, oil was fine, belts were secure... she had no clue why the car decided to fail.  Then she panicked.
 
 

 
 
 
He was late.  Really late.  
 
Dance class ended on time but one of the girls decided she wanted "private" lessons.  He didn't mind that but didn't realize that in the 30 minutes after class, his version and her version were two totally different things.  He spent the next half hour trying to keep her hands off him and out of his pants.
 
"Damn it, " he thought.  
 
He changed gears on his bike and sped a little faster.  He was now 20 miles an hour over the speed limit and running close to killing himself.  The guys were going to kill him.  They had band practice and a gig.  Sunggyu-hyung had no patience for tardiness.  He was definitely going to get beat.
 
 
 

 
 
 
She slammed the hood down and looked into the bright sun.  The tears no longer dripped but just laid a trail on both sides of her face.  She hopped up and down, waved her hands, hoping passerbys would stop to her aid.  But to no avail.  It was rush hour traffic, people off work, wanting to get home.  Nobody knew she had a patient in the back seat of her car and that she was in a difficult labor.
 
Haneul decided that she would have to take matters into her own hands which could or might cause her great harm.  But her patient came first.  "Hana, I promised I'd get you there safe, " she said to herself.
Many cars zoomed past which scared Haneul the most.  How could she stop something that weighed thousands of pounds more than her, that was going roughly at the speed of 50 miles an hour on the main road?
 
She closed her eyes and calmed herself down.  "Breathe.  Just breathe, Haneul.  Hana needs you..." She opened them and jumped into the road.  Her hands out to the side to make her look bigger.
 
"Please stop!  I need help, please," she yelled.  
 
Coming at her was a motorcycle barreling down on her at roughly 90 miles an hour.  The driver sat up, and using his arms he waved at her to signal to get out of the way.  
 
Stunned, she just stood there.  Then closed her eyes and waited for impending death.
 
 
 

 
 
He lucked out that the light on the 4-way stop stayed green.  He sped up a little faster, he was almost to the bar where the band waited for him.
 
 
Then something jumped out in front of him.  He was going too fast to slow down.  Realizing it was a woman dressed in scrubs, he tried to wave her over but she just stood there like a dear in headlights.
 
"Damn it!  Move!"  He waved.
 
He immediately hit his brakes.  He tried to swerve around her but another vehicle was beside him.  So he took the opposite direction.  He bike fishtailed behind him leaving a long line of smoke and burned rubber on the road.  His bike jumped the curb and his body landed in the grass and rolled to a stop once it found a tall rock fence that impeded his momentum.
 
Haneul realizing what she had done, ran to the body that layed lifeless against the fence.  She shook him but he didn't move.  His clothing was ripped where it collided with concrete.  The open areas were scraped and bruised and some bleeding occured.
 
"Oh dear God!  Please, wake up!"
 
She unclipped his helmet and pulled it off, only to see the prettiest of soft pink hair slowing cascade to the ground.  She touched it's softness and then remembered.
 
She leaned down and checked to see if he was breathing.  She felt his breath on her cheek.  She felt a bit relieved.  
 
"What are you doing?"
 
She immediately looked up.  He was looking at her.  She sat up and apologized quickly.  "I'm sorry.  Are you okay?  Is there anything broken?  Tell me."
 
He gruffily sat up and looked at his torn clothes and scraped self.  He looked at his hands.  He moved them to-and-fro and was relieved that they weren't broken, just a little sore.  Then like Chucky, the doll, he turned his head and looked angrily at me.
 
"Are you ing crazy?!"  He wiped the dust off his pants and then slowly got up.  His longish pink hair swayed and cascaded over his eyes.  He immediately swept them to the side.  "Only a ing crazy person would jump out..."
 
She was crying.
 
"Why the are you crying?  I'm the only one who almost died..."
 
"No... I have to hurry.  Hana will die if I don't get her to the hospital."
 
Then he remembered her clothes.  She was wearing doctor's scrubs.  
 
She held his helmet in her hands.  Restlessly, she moved them back and forth over the now new scratches that formed on the side.
 
He looked over at her car that was abandoned.  "Why didn't you just call an ambulance?" He gruffily asked in a huff.
 
"Oh, my phone.  I forgot about my phone."  She ran off towards her car, throwing his helmet at him, as she took off.  Once she reached the car, she swept the door open and she literally dove into the passenger side and started scavenging for her purse.  
 
With his helmet in hand, he walked to his bike and picked it up.  With only a few noticeable  scratches, it seemed okay.  He then walked it back to her car.
 
She jumped out, "No phone.  I can't find my phone."  She slumped against the car and the wails in the back seat began again.  Her tears formed and rivered down her face.  She sniffled and then wiped her nose with the back of her hand.  "You..." she pointed, "You... can take us!"
 
He looked at her like she was a crazy madwoman on the loose.  "W-What?"
 
"You can take Hana to the ER!"  She rushed to the backseat of the car and started diligently getting things together.
 
"How the hell am I supposed to get a pregnant lady on the back of my bike?" He argued.
 
She turned around and in her arms was a little Chihuahua wrapped in a white towel that was soaked in blood.  The Chihuahua cried and whimpered.  She cradled the sad thing in her arms and tossed her bag over her shoulder.  "Obviously, we aren't taking a pregnant woman.  Meet Hana..."
 
He looked at the pathetic thing and then at her.  "You want me to take a dog to the ER?" He gasped.
 
"No, you are taking me and Hana to the Animal Hospital ER... for an emergency delivery."  She locked the car and turned around.  "Let's go."
 
He stood and looked at her.  The tears still flowed but her determination in her eyes told him that he was in no way going to be able to get out of this.
 
He didn't have a spare helmet so he handed her the scratched one he had.  She put it on awkwardly with one hand.  He walked behind her and helped her with it and even clasped the bottom straps for her as she cradled Hana gently in her arms.
 
He straddled his bike and started the engine.  He reached into the hidden compartment in the backseat and pulled out a hair band.  He neatly brushed his hair back with his fingers and pulled his longish pink hair into a tight ponytail.  A large gold wing earring sparkled from the glare of the sun.  He then signaled her with his thumb to get onto the backseat.  
 
She tightly held Hana in her one arm and with the other she borrowed his shoulder and used him for leverage as she swung her leg over.
 
Over the sound of the engine, he yelled at her to hold on, and brought  her one empty hand around his waste and rested her hand over his midsection.  "Hold on!" He yelled as he released the clutch and they sped off.  A cloud of dust and rubber flew in the air to hide their departure.
 
 
 

 
 
She held on.  The speed jolted her back and she instinctively fisted her hand in his shirt in the front. Once the speed stabilized, her hand relaxed and she flattened her hand on his belly.  The hardness and the warmth from it was noticeable under her hand.  The wind tapped her face with the softness of his pink hair.  He smelled of sweat and spice and man and unknowingly she took a deep breath of it.

Between them, Hana snuggled closely into her arm.  The soft brown eyes of the petite pregnant dog pleaded with sadness and pain to her.  "Hana, you'll be okay now."  The dog seemed to relax with those words.
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
He came to the small building that only had once entrance.  He slowed to a complete stop.
 
"Thank you."  She was already off the bike, the helmet still on her head.  
 
He pushed the kickstand down and hopped off.  He pulled her close, to her surprise, and then lifted the helmet off her head.  Her dark hair swayed from the sudden movement.  Then with the pad of his thumbs, he wiped the stray tears that hadn't stopped since they left the car.  Shocks of surprise warped through her body with wave after wave with the kindness of it.
 
The dog cried some more and she came out of her walking coma.  She blinked and smiled and again said, "Thank you... um...  I don't even know your name."
 
He smiled and put the empty helmet on his head.  Clasping the straps quickly, he then replied, "Dongwoo..."  He then laid his hand on the dogs head and rubbed it's nose and then hopped on his bike and took off.
 
She stood there, mesmerized.  "Dongwoo," she said to her self.  "Dongwoo...  I didn't even get to tell him my name."
 
The dog whimpered again and she immediately ran into the building.  "Hana, today you are going to be a 'momma'..." The doors immediately closed behind her.