Lesson 2

The Seven Idiots

Sungjong never expects himself to return to the principal office so soon. Before he died, he was actually a good student who had never created trouble for his teachers. He was very respectful. If someone tried to anger him, he would remain patient and just ignore the person. Somehow, when he enters this college and becomes friends with the four idiots, he suddenly becomes more impulsive.

"All of you have already become an adult," Tablo says as his eyes narrow at them in distaste.

Sungjong tries to hold back the sigh that he is holding. He does not want to hear any lectures about his behaviour right now. He knows that it is childish of them to have a food fight at the cafeteria when they are already in university but he also cannot deny that he felt so happy for the first time ever since he died. Somehow, the four idiots manage to make him smile sincerely and laugh heartily.

Speaking of the four idiots, all of them are standing close together while looking at the carpet of the office. If people were to see them from far away, they would think that they feel ashamed of themselves.

Sungjong has known them for a short while but it is clear that none of them feels ashamed. Shame is something that the four idiots have never felt before because all of them are just so shameless like that and the cupid feels like knocking their heads together.

To be completely honest, he does not regret his actions in joining them. He really did enjoy himself out there and he wants to thank them for giving him the opportunity to have fun.

As Tablo drones on about responsibilities and whatever it is he is saying, Sungjong looks at Sungyeol who is standing next to him. The tall guy is biting his lips and at first, Sungjong feels puzzled as to why. When his body shakes, however, Sungjong immediately gets it.

Lee Sungyeol is holding in his laughter and so are the other guys.

It seems like Tablo does not notice this at all. Or maybe he does and he ignores it because he does not have the time to deal with idiots like them. Sungjong wonders what is so funny about this situation, though. They are being treated like kids right now and he definitely does not like that. Well, he is a grown adult.

Apparently he is a grown adult who gets into food fights with his so-called friends.

"Do you understand what I said?" Tablo demands, ending his little speech, much to Sungjong's relief.

"Yes, sir," all of them chorus at the same time and Tablo looks dubious.

For a moment, Sungjong thinks that he is going to continue giving them pointless advice. There is no use in advising those four idiots, though. It is evident enough that they will treat everything lightly and get on with their lives like they did nothing wrong.

Luckily, Tablo just lets out a small sigh as if he knows that nothing he says will get through their thick skulls. "All of you may go now," he dismisses.

Sungjong feels a smile tugging on his lips. Just as he is about to leave the office, Tablo calls out, "May I have a word with you please, Sungjong?"

Woohyun shoots him a concerned look while Hoya raises his eyebrow questioningly. Myungsoo just gazes at him with an unreadable look on his face and Sungyeol pats his shoulder, mouthing a silent good luck to him.

When the four idiots are gone and the door is firmly shut, Sungjong plops on the seat for visitors without much hesitation. It is not like Tablo will do anything to him for that, anyway. Sure, it is informal but the two of them are in a comfortable relationship. At least, the cupid thinks so.

"How are you doing with your task?" Tablo asks casually as he looks at Sungjong curiously.

Sungjong just shrugs nonchalantly. "I've picked the three people that I'm going to help," he announces. "But I have no idea who to pair them up with."

Tablo's eyes seem to sharpen and he suddenly looks interested. "Who are those three people, then?" he questions, tilting his head to the side slightly.

The cupid pauses for a moment, feeling a little bit embarrassed to be questioned like this. It makes him feel like he is incapable of doing his job. He knows that he is new to the cupid thing but he is getting along just fine. In fact, he is fairly confident that he will be able to do this. "Dongwoo, Myungsoo and Woohyun," he answers after a moment of complete silence.

The principal nods in response. He seems to be thinking about something and silence envelops them. "You know, I've heard rumours that Dongwoo and Hoya are actually friends with benefits," he mentions, giving the cupid a small smile. "Just thought that you would want to know."

Sungjong's eyes widen in shock at that because he did not expect that from Dongwoo. He has always thought that Dongwoo is one of those people who refuses to have with anyone except for his significant other. Well, it seems like he is wrong. "I'll check if they have feelings for each other," he says, understanding the hidden meaning behind the principal's words.

Tablo nods, seeming satisfied with his declaration. He studies the cupid carefully and Sungjong shifts uncomfortably under his scrutiny. He does not like the way Tablo is looking at him. There is something like pity in his eyes but Sungjong is not really sure about that.

"I'm surprised that you got involved in a food fight, Sungjong," he admits quietly. "I thought that you were one of those people who like to keep a low profile."

It is true. Sungjong has never liked attention. He prefers to keep quiet in social situations instead of expressing his views on anything. "Are you disappointed in me?" he asks in a small voice.

Tablo shakes his head firmly. "No, I'm not," he clarifies and Sungjong lets out a small sigh of relief. "Lesson two: don't attract attention. It will make things easier when you've finished your task."

The hidden meaning in his words rings clear in his ears. It is a subtle reminder that everything that is happening right now is temporary and he should not get distracted by other things.

"I understand," he responds quietly.

With that, he leaves the principal office, feeling a little bit upset.