Lesson 1

The Seven Idiots

"Where are we going?" Sungjong asks the guy who is dragging him somewhere. It was eight at night and Hoya was out when Dongwoo came and told Sungjong that he wanted to bring him to a place. Dazed, Sungjong did as he was ordered and that was how he finds himself getting dragged by the older guy.

Dongwoo just shrugs mysteriously, refusing to reveal anything. "It's a secret," he replies, grinning. "Don't tell anyone about this, okay?"

Sungjong nods uncertainly and lets himself get dragged again.

At last, after thirty minutes of endless walking, Sungjong finds himself standing right in front of a music store. He looks up and the sign 'Gyuzizi Store' is blinking at him.

"What are we doing here?" he asks the older guy.

Dongwoo beams at him and claps his hands happily. "I told you to work at Gyuzizi Store and you will work here," he tells the younger guy. "Don't worry, Sunggyu hyung will surely love to have you here."

"Won't Woohyun hyung be mad at me and you?" Sungjong asks, bewildered.

Dongwoo just shrugs nonchalantly. "Who cares about Woohyun? It's our lives, it's our choice," he says in a carefree manner. Sungjong raises his eyebrows. It is the first time he has ever met someone who doesn't care about making his friend angry at him.

Dongwoo and Sungjong enter the store at last and Dongwoo goes to talk to the owner of the store while Sungjong looks around the store. He looks through some albums that he used to listen to when he was still alive. Not that he can't listen to them now but well, he is dead now and he has a mission to do before he's able to move on.

Sungjong sighs. At least Tablo told him that he would be going to heaven and not hell. He feels blessed but he wonders why there must be a mission before he's allowed to enter the beautiful paradise. Speaking about when he was still alive, Sungjong feels an ache in his heart as he realises how much he misses his family. He wonders how they are doing right now. Are they eating well? Are they still grieving for him? He makes a mental note to give his family a visit but of course, he won't appear right in front of them. He will just look at them from afar.

Sungjong snaps back to reality when Dongwoo suddenly drags him towards the man he assumes is Sunggyu. Sunggyu has small eyes and he's average in height. Sungjong notices that the man looks quite young actually.

"This is the guy that I was talking about," Dongwoo tells Sunggyu excitedly. "Isn't he pretty?"

Sungjong's eyes widen as soon as he hears what Dongwoo said. It hurts his man pride when the older guy said that he was pretty. Sure, he knows that people will think that he's a girl if he ever crossdresses but it still feels insulting to hear that coming out of someone else's mouth.

"Sure, he is," Sunggyu replies. The man observes Sungjong from head to toe and Sungjong squirms uncomfortably under his piercing gaze. Then, a small smile touches Sunggyu's lips. "Do you have a great voice?"

Before Sungjong is able to answer, a shrill sound fills the store. Dongwoo takes out his phone and smiles at them apologetically. He goes out of the store to have a private talk with the caller.

Sungjong just shrugs at the older guy's behaviour before looking at Sunggyu. "Not really," he admits. "But I'm good at promoting things and I know the basics of the piano." Then, he remembers that he knows someone who has a great voice when he heard him karaoke in his room. "Do you want to give vocal lessons, Sunggyu-sshi?"

Sunggyu smiles at the sharpness of Sungjong's brain. He nods. "Just call me Sunggyu hyung. And yes, I've been wanting to give vocal lessons at the back room of this store," he replies.

Sungjong nods. "I see," he murmurs. "I know someone who has a great voice. I'll ask him if he wants to give vocal lessons or not."

"I'd appreciate that," Sunggyu says, smiling. "When can you start?"

"Tomorrow."

"Good then. Report to work at six evening tomorrow. Your shift will start from six in the evening and end at eleven at night on weekdays. On Saturdays, it will start at eight in the morning and end at noon. Sunday is your off day," Sunggyu says just as Dongwoo enters the store again.

Dongwoo grabs Sungjong's arm and drags him away from Sunggyu. "Bye hyung. We have to go now!" With that, the two of them leave the store. Sungjong manages to look back and judging from Sunggyu's amused expression, Sungjong knows that this has happened a lot of times before.

"What's the hurry, hyung?" Sungjong asks curiously.

Dongwoo just shrugs and continues to walk quickly while dragging the younger guy. "Hoya needs to talk to me," he replies nonchalantly.

The walk home takes only fifteen minutes as Dongwoo is practically running while dragging Sungjong. Sungjong feels that there is something wrong with Dongwoo. What is so important that Dongwoo rushes to get back to the dorm?

At the front of the dorm, a man who is wearing all black is standing there. As soon as he sees the two college students, he waves at Sungjong, indicating that he wants to speak with him.

"Do you know the guy?" Dongwoo asks, concerned.

Sungjong hesitates. He has this feeling that the man is sent here to tell him more about his mission. He wants to say no but then, Dongwoo will insist on accompanying him to meet the man. "Yes," he answers at last. "He's my....uncle," he lies.

Dongwoo nods. "I see. Go and talk to your uncle while I go upstairs and see what Hoya wants," he replies and then rushes inside the dorm.

Sungjong approaches the man in black carefully. "Who are you?" he asks as soon as he reaches him.

"You may call me Mithra," the man responds. Then, he hands Sungjong a black bag and a note.

Sungjong looks blankly at Mithra and the man explains, "Tablo asked me to pass this to you. Take care of those things well. They're expensive." With that, the man walks away quickly without waiting for the cupid to reply.

Sungjong looks at the note.

Lesson 1 of being a cupid: Don't get too attached with the people you want to matchmake.

Well, Sungjong is pretty sure he won't be getting attached with them. He is not exactly a sentimental person. But maybe he shouldn't be so confident.