Gyuzizi Store

The Seven Idiots

Sungjong taps his foot impatiently as he waits for Dongwoo right in front of the boys' dorm. It's already three-thirty and the guy still has not come yet. He sighs. If there is one thing that he really hates it is tardiness. He just can't stand people who always come late but since it's only Dongwoo's first time being late, he decides to forgive the older guy.

To him, the day went okay. Nobody really spoke to him and Sungjong had this feeling that this had something to do with Myungsoo. There was once when this guy was about to approach him in the cafeteria but when he saw Myungsoo sitting next to him, the guy cowered and went away quickly.

Sungjong wonders what reputation Myungsoo has and why everyone has been staring at his buddy as though they were afraid of him. But honestly, Sungjong sees nothing in Myungsoo to be afraid of. Myungsoo is a little bit weird, but then everyone here is weird.

He lets out a small sigh, trying hard to maintain his cool. He wipes the sweat on his forehead with the back of his hand and taps his foot impatiently.

At long last, a very familiar guy runs towards him and greets him with a hug.

Sungjong is taken aback by Dongwoo's way of greeting. He blinks blankly as Dongwoo pulls away and starts dragging the younger guy inside the dorm. The head of student council apologises for being late, saying that he has some things to attend to and Sungjong just nods in understanding.

Well, the head of student council must be busy, right?

After climbing up quite a few stairs to get to level three, they arrive at the front of the room where Sungjong is supposed to sleep in. The door swings open almost immediately and a head pokes out.

Nam Woohyun, as Dongwoo called him just now.

The Nam Woohyun guy look at Sungjong, scrutinizing him carefully, before letting out a smile. "Hey, you're the guy that's been hanging out with Myungsoo the whole day because he's your buddy, right?" he asks almost excitedly.

Sungjong nods his head slowly, feeling uncertain.

"Aren't you going to invite us in?" Dongwoo asks, in what Sungjong would have described as sarcastic but since the older guy actually looks like an angel, especially with his smile, it doesn't seem right to describe it as sarcastic.

"Oh, come in," Woohyun invites them in quickly, realising his mistake. The door opens wider and Dongwoo and Sungjong enter it. Inside the room, Sungjong spots another familiar guy who is fiddling with the wires of what looks like a karaoke machine. It is the guy who was trying to hit Woohyun as the former guy was sending hearts to Dongwoo.

"Do all of us share a room together?" Sungjong blurts out before he can stop himself.

Woohyun lets out a laugh. "No, actually. Hoya, the guy who's doing whatever he is doing with the wires, is the owner of this room. I'm just hanging out with him right now," he replies. "We're juniors and you're a freshman so you should call us hyung."

Sungjong just nods in agreement.

Dongwoo looks around the room in what seems like fascination. He peers at things like a small child who has made a wonderful discovery.

Sungjong sees that his suitcases are placed under the bunk bed. He feels a pang in his heart when he sees that it was exactly the same suitcase that he used to use when he was still alive in Seoul.

"The top of the bunk bed is my bed," Hoya tells him.

Sungjong places his bag, which he found in his locker earlier that day to fill it with books, on his bed. Seeing that, Dongwoo immediately plops on top of Sungjong's bed and grabs Sungjong's bag. Without asking for his permission, Dongwoo looks through it. He takes out a small notebook that Sungjong also found in his locker and flips through it.

Then, his whole face lights up when he sees something in it. "Hey, you want to find a job?" he asks Sungjong excitedly.

Sungjong nods. Well, he did write the list of things that he needs on a page of the notebook during a lecture. He was feeling restless and needed to write something or he would go crazy.

"Do you have any recommendations to make?" Sungjong asks.

Dongwoo nods vigorously. "Yes," he replies. "Gyuzizi Store!"

At that, the atmosphere of the room changes. Sungjong notices that Hoya has stopped doing whatever he was doing and remains frozen while a hostile look flashes on Woohyun's face before it goes away.

"Gyuzizi Store?" Sungjong repeats tentatively, watching the reactions of the others. He is interested to know what kind of store it is and why his roommate and his roommate's friend don't like the mention of it.

"Well, Sunggyu hyung owns it and he's looking for an employee. I can suggest-" Dongwoo starts to explain but he is interrupted.

"Jang Dongwoo," Woohyun snaps in a warning tone. "You still keep in touch with him?" The guy who was throwing hearts immediately changes into someone whose eyes are throwing daggers. Sungjong almost shudders at his sudden change.

Dongwoo has only sensed the strange atmosphere now but he seems annoyed at Woohyun's question. "What? Can't I keep contact with him? Woohyun-ah, you're my friend but please don't forget that I'm his friend too," the head of student council replies defensively.

"Can someone please explain to me what's going on?" Sungjong asks, puzzled.

At first, no one says anything but surprisingly, it is Hoya who explains the situation to him. "Sunggyu hyung is Woohyun's ex-boyfriend," he says.

"It was a messy break-up," Dongwoo fills in.

"Woohyun has not got over it," Hoya adds.

"And he's still bitter over it," Dongwoo continues.

"And he's right here!" Woohyun yells out in frustration.

"I see," Sungjong murmurs quietly.

After his simple statement, the room immediately is wrapped with heavy silence. The atmosphere is awkward and tense.

"Are we going to karaoke or not?" Woohyun asks impatiently, seeing that nobody else has said anything.

"Yes, we are. Dongwoo hyung, Sungjong-ah, would you like to join us?" Hoya asks courteously.

"No, thanks," Sungjong declines the offer. "I need to unpack my stuff."

"Dongwoo hyung?" Hoya asks.

"Well, I'd love to stay but unfortunately I have a meeting to attend in twenty minutes," Dongwoo says, standing up. "See you later." With that, the older guy leaves the room.

Sungjong starts to unpack his things as Woohyun and Hoya begin to sing together.

The names of the first three people who greet him are repeated inside his head countlessly.

Jang Dongwoo, Kim Myungsoo and Nam Woohyun.

Sungjong peers at Woohyun curiously. He definitely has to check out Gyuzizi Store.