Adapting

The Seven Idiots

Sungjong looks around the room and finds that he's sitting on a chair, opposite of the young man who told him that he was dead just now. But at this room, the man does not look as young as he did just now. He looks slightly older and Sungjong wonders why. There is a desk between his and the man's seat and Sungjong knows that he's in some sort of an office.

"I'm dead?" he asks blankly. Sungjong almost slaps himself for asking such a question. What if what happened just now is just a daydream and it's not real at all? How humiliating would that be?

"Yes, you're dead," the man affirms. "You've been dead for a few days. You're in Busan right now. You'll be attending Woollim University as a freshman who has just transferred from Seoul and I'm your principal. It's in the middle of the year so people are going to treat you like the new kid, which you are a new kid but that's not the point. The point is, you'll most probably get teased a lot for a few weeks but as time passes, they'll get bored of you."

"What?"

The man just continues talking as though Sungjong did not say anything just now which makes Sungjong feels that the man is really rude. "You must help three couples to get together before you're able to enter heaven. Like I said, you're a cupid now and that is your mission," he says. "Any questions?"

Sungjong blinks blankly and shakes his head, still trying to process everything that has just been told to him. "Wait, I do have some questions," he quickly amends. "What is your name?"

"You may call me Tablo if we're alone together," the man replies. "Anything else?"

"How did I die?" Sungjong asks.

"That's for me to know and for you to find out," Tablo answers. "Next question."

"What will happen after I've gotten the three couples to get together?"

"You'll enter heaven."

"No, I mean, what will happen to me on Earth?" he rephrases his question.

"You'll just disappear and it will be as if you've never existed," Tablo replies. Before Sungjong can ask any more questions, Tablo interrupts, "That's enough questions for today. Ask me more the next time you see me. The head of the student council will meet up with you and assign you your room in the dorm. Your clothes which I've obtained from your old home will be sent to your room and your books will be in your locker which the head of the student council will assign it to you too. Your buddy will also be assigned to you by him. So, out you go."

Sungjong blinks blankly at the way Tablo talks. The guy talks too fast without letting Sungjong have a say in anything. He feels like choking the older guy but he refrains himself from doing so. He grits his teeth slightly. "Good day, sir," he says, feeling annoyed, and leaves the principal office.

Just great. He just found out that he has died and now he's a cupid who will be pairing three couples together before he is allowed to enter heaven. How is he supposed to know that he truly is dead?

The first three people who greet me, I will help them with their love lives, Sungjong thinks to himself.

"You must be Lee Sungjong, right?" a guy who is smiling and his lower lip sticks out slightly greets him cheerfully.

Sungjong nods. "Yes, that's me," he answers.

The older guy beams at him. "Okay, good then! I'm Jang Dongwoo, the head of student council," he introduces himself. Dongwoo grabs Sungjong's arm and starts pulling him so that they will start walking. The two of them walk towards the hallway where the lockers are located at. "You may call me Dongwoo hyung if you want to."

"Okay...?" Sungjong replies uncertainly but the older guy remains unfazed by his reaction.

Instead, Dongwoo ruffles Sungjong's hair and laughs at how messy it is which causes Sungjong to think that this Dongwoo guy is definitely weird. Like, grade A weird.

The two of them continue to walk until they reach the locker 259. Dongwoo stops in front of the locker, causing Sungjong to stop walking too since the older guy has been dragging him. "So this is your locker," Dongwoo announces cheerfully. He hands Sungjong a small paper with some numbers on top of it. "That's the combination of your locker. Memorise it before you burn it."

Sungjong raises his eyebrow questioningly. Does anyone actually burn the paper that consists of their locker's combination? Oh, well. Jang Dongwoo is weird, after all.

"Anyway, since I'm the head of the student council, feel free to approach me if you have any questions," Dongwoo says to him. Sungjong just nods even though he's pretty sure that the questions that he has are not questions that Dongwoo can answer. "If anybody bullies you, just tell me. Especially if it's the three idiots over there." Dongwoo points at the three guys who are standing against the locker opposite of Sungjong's locker.

The first guy is throwing hearts at Dongwoo and the second guy who is quite well built is trying to hit the first guy but the first guy manages to dodge it all and throw hearts towards Dongwoo at the same time. Sungjong does not know how he manages to do that. The third guy is taller than the others and he's taking a video of his friends acting like fools using his phone.

This university is full of weird people, Sungjong thinks to himself.

"Is that your boyfriend?" Sungjong asks Dongwoo casually as he points towards the guy who is still throwing hearts towards Dongwoo. Since he has promised to help three people who greet him first(not the other way round), he must help Dongwoo with his love life, if he does not have a lover yet.

Dongwoo raises his eyebrow quizzically. "Who? Nam Woohyun?"

Sungjong shrugs nonchalantly. "I don't know his name but I'm talking about the one who's throwing hearts at your direction," he replies.

Dongwoo bursts into laughter and Sungjong does not know what is so funny. "No, he's not my boyfriend," Dongwoo says after he has calmed himself. "That's my, you can say quite close, friend."

Sungjong nods and he is about to say something else when a guy who is slightly taller than him with handsome features runs towards them. "Hey, you must be Sungjong, right? Sorry, I'm late. I'm your buddy, Kim Myungsoo," the guy greets him.

"You're not late, Myungsoo-ah," Dongwoo says. "We've arrived like, five minutes ago? I don't know. I don't remember. Anyway, do your job as Sungjong's buddy well! I'm off to do some other things. As for your room, Sungjong-ah, meet me at three in front of the boys' dorm later so that I can show you which one your room is." And as quick as lightning, Dongwoo leaves them.

Sungjong just blinks blankly. Is it just him or is everybody speaking too fast here? First Tablo, now Dongwoo.

"I'm older than you by one year so you should call me hyung," Myungsoo tells him.

"Okay," Sungjong says, nodding.

"Come, I'll show you where your classes are," Myungsoo says and the two of them start walking, passing by the three idiots, as Dongwoo called them.

The third guy, the tall one, calls out, "Myungsoo-ah, what did you have for breakfast today?" The other two guys immediately burst into laughter at a private joke.

Sungjong notices that Myungsoo's cheeks turn a light shade of red. "Shut up, Lee Sungyeol," he replies before walking off with Sungjong.

"Who's that?" Sungjong asks.

"Lee Sungyeol. He's an idiot," Myungsoo replies shortly.

"Yeah, Dongwoo hyung said that too," Sungjong mumbles under his breath.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing," Sungjong quickly says. "So what was that all about?"

"It's a long story and no, don't tell me you have time to listen because I'm lazy to explain it," Myungsoo answers. "But just so you know, I really hate that Lee Sungyeol."

Everyone here is weird, Sungjong thinks, and all of them are idiots.