Nightmare

Our Worlds Collide

SungJong

It hasn’t happened in a while; the nightmare, me waking up in the middle of the night shivering and sweating. In fact, the last time it happened was two months ago, exactly one year after my big move to Seoul. In my nightmare, I see the face of a woman whose features are so familiar yet so unrecognizable. She walks towards me in slow, delicate steps, as if she is teasing me. I sit in a corner cowering in a ball, shaking. Every morning I wake up at exactly 6:17am and I wonder if her slow walking is her way of saving time so that I won’t see her. I feel as though she doesn’t want to be seen and maybe she doesn’t; but it is me that wants to see her. After three months of moving to the city and away from the country, I began dreaming of this woman. Her schedule was irregular but I highly appreciated it when she missed a night.

Last night could have been the perfect night for her to miss because this morning I’ve got exams to take. I remember the professor’s words. Get enough sleep tonight, she said, because tomorrow’s tests will be tough. I sigh, frustrated, but get up nonetheless. It is 7 in the morning. Lazily, I walk to my bathroom and wash up. Taking a look at myself in the mirror, I notice the deep bags under my big eyes. After changing into the boring blue and black uniform of my university, I head out of my apartment and out of the rundown building. The bright sunlight attacks my eyes and blurs my vision for a while before I am able to take the sight in front of me.

A week ago it was announced that this building would be torn down in an effort to build a new club. The elderly have been outside protesting ever since and I make out their worn out signs, brown and no longer bright as they were when they were first made. Of course I’d joined the first day but it didn’t turn out too well. Everyone scolded me for not shouting loud enough and not being able to stay out all night. Now here they are, unwilling to give up. They’re fighters. Just like… Her. I  try to make out a name or a person but the person that had come in mind left the minute they had entered. Shaking my head, I hop onto my black scooter, throw on my helmet, and drive away.

At a red light, a car comes zooming by, its wheels leaving smoke for me to inhale. Damn those snobby rich kids…  I drive to the school and sigh. Everyone is outside in the front lawn, meaning that the teachers are having a meeting and will be for another hour or more. Parking my scooter, I hear my name being called.

“Yah,” A familiar voice shouts, “Lee SungJong!”

Though I scold him for always shouting at me that way, today it is soothing. To me, it is a reminder that not everyone is forgotten and that I haven’t gone crazy; at least not completely.  I turn around and am faced with my best friends. Both of them are short but are well built due to their dancing classes.

I remove my helmet and turn to them. Dongwoo immediately reaches for my face.

“Did you sleep well last night?” He questions worriedly. “Didn’t you say you had to take exams today?”

“I… No, I stayed up studying late.” I lie. “Guess I lost track of the time…”

He doesn’t know. On the other hand, Howon, Hoya as I like to call him, looks at me with an even more concerned glint in his eyes. He knows. The only reason I haven’t told my dino hyung about my issue is because he’ll probably insist I stay over at his house, then he’ll worry and get as much sleep at night as me. I don’t want anyone worrying about me. I’m strong. Hoya gives me a look that asks, Are you okay? And I nod, adding a reassuring smile. I hope it doesn’t look as fake as it feels.

“Alright,” Hoya says, pulling the worried dino away from me, “Let’s go get something to eat. My mom just told me they’ll be in there for about an hour more.”

Hoya’s mom is one of the top teachers in this university, which is a lucky advantage for him because he gets early information. Dongwoo immediately begins chanting out different foods we could have, Hoya’s treat, of course, since he’s the one that offered.

“I’m not hungry.” I voice out, only to be betrayed by my rumbling stomach.

“Yeah, right!” Hoya exclaims, smiling in victory.

Just as we are all about to enter a small café, I notice a familiar black car parked outside with a guy standing beside it. Today was not the day, not the morning. Before Hoya can hold me back, I storm off so that I am standing in front of that guy. He looks up from his phone and gives me a look that can only mean, ‘What do you want?’ I cross my arms.

“Yah!,” I shout, “You have to apologize!”

It seems to take him a while to register what I mean, and maybe he still doesn’t understand in the end because he says, “What? For what? I’ve never even seen you before in my life!”

“Well,” I snap, “If you’d followed the law, you would have been able to see me. But of course, the smoke of your wheels was too dark.”

He stares at me curiously. “Do you go to Seoul University?” He pauses to wait for my response. I give him none so he continues. “Do you know who I am?”

I roll my eyes. “Look, I don’t give one damn about who you are! I just want the apology that I deser-!”

Before I can finish, I am being pulled back by Hoya, his huge hand covering my mouth. The guy gives me a smug smile. 

“Sorry Myungsoo.” Hoya says, “He didn’t sleep well. He isn’t in his right mind.”

“Clearly.” He responds.

Just as I am about to yell again, I am being pulled away. Goddammit, why am I so weak?! The guy, that so called Myungsoo, smiles at me and waves. I glare at him with all of my might. And boy, if looks could kill, I hope mine was one that would take him to the grave.

 

A/N: OHMIGOSHHH I never knew time passed by so quickly! One minute it's New Years, and the next it's nearly March! Wow. Sorry for the long wait. It's just that once I had one thing written, I erased it out of dissatisfaction. I hope this wasn't too boring. Next chapter will be Myungsoo's. Thanks for all of the subbies, SARANGHAE~! /throws greasy NAMHearts/ 

Comment, subscribe, maybe even upvote if you likey what you read!~ ^_^ 

Til next time! Don't worry, I won't take as long. I promise!