Unexpected

Popping Pointe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Unexpected

It was around 7:45 on a Tuesday night in the middle of March. Usually the coffee shop next to the Performing Arts school was calm, quiet and even cozy. But not tonight. Tonight, two girls in a booth next to the door were chatting rather loudly, despite hiding their mouths behind their hands. They continued to eye the two boys sitting at the counter. Just waiting and watching.

Xiumin, dressed neatly in a white button down, chuckled under his breath as he laid an ice pack on the marble counter in front of the rainbow-haired teen. "You deserved it," he admonished.

Sehun choked on his green tea latte. The hot liquid spewed out of his mouth onto the counter and down to his pants, causing him to jump up from his seat.

"Yah, what the hell!" Jongin yelled, startled from the random droplets that suddenly hit the side of his face. He too, stood up from his seat, his stool screeching harshly against the tile floor of the coffee shop.

And the girls from before practically squealed as they clutched each other's hands. 

Sehun wiped his mouth, ignored the girls, disregarded Jongin and gaped at Xiumin. "What?! How did I  know he was going to cry?" 

Xiumin frowned as he surveyed the messy condition of his counter top. What was once clean and pristine was now sloppily splattered in regurgitated coffee. He suddenly lost all humor or sympathy for the situation. He eyed the flabbergasted teen across the counter. "Luhan should have slapped you harder," he muttered as he took back the ice pack he had previously offered and turned around to retrieve a wet rag and cleaner from the back room.

Sehun huffed and muttered a curse as he sat back down on the stool. He glanced at Jongin to his right. "You don't think I deserved it, do you?"

Jongin shrugged in disinterest. "It was kind of funny."

Sehun smiled devilishly. "Right?" He ask nodding his head, "Who would have thought Tao was such a big baby?"

Jongin smirked and shook his head. "No, I meant the look on your face when your precious Luhan-Hyung slapped you."

Sehun looked away and stirred his latte. He pouted and sighed. "Whatever, he shouldn't have just volunteered  to tutor Tao in Korean. I mean he'll learn, eventually."

"What, you mean by repeating all the insults you throw at him?"

Sehun rolled his eyes. "Oh come on, it's a joke!" he defended. But then started to feel a little bad. He glanced at Jongin. "You think Luhan's still mad at me?"

Jongin let out a breathy chuckle. "Nah, he can't stay mad at you. Strange, really."

Sehun instantly brightened with a smile and a nod. He held up his coffee and turned towards Jongin. "Cheers to tha-" He frowned looking at Jongin's drink-less state. "Oh, where's yours?"

Jongin ran his hands along his black tight-covered legs. "No pockets." Which means he had no money.

"Oh . . ." Sehun frowned suddenly remembering the conversation with Suho. Feeling charitable, he snapped his fingers and laid a hand on his tanned friend's shoulder. "Don't worry, I got you." Sehun then turned back to the empty counter. "Service!" He called to the back room.

Xiumin rolled his eyes. "I swear, if that kid wasn't Luhan's friend, I would have kicked him out by now."

Taemin smiled. "But Hyung, he buys lots of coffee."

Xiumin scoffed. "Yeah, well he should learn to keep it in his mouth then!"

Taemin covered his mouth as he laughed, he wasn't used to seeing his usually reserved boss so worked up.

But Xiumin smiled in response, pleased that he could humor the younger. "Here, take this and a wet rag and make sure to wipe it all up." Xiumin instructed as he handed Taemin the disinfectant spray. 

"Yes," Taemin nodded, still chuckling. 

Together, they walked out of the back room. 

Funny thing is, Taemin still felt nervous and a little shy as he walked up to the counter where Sehun and Jongin were seated. He stopped right in front of them and glanced at the tall, dark dancer.

Jongin gazed back at Taemin with hooded eyes and a lazy smile before inclining his head towards the door.

Taemin blushed and tried to suppress his smile before shaking his head. He sprayed the counter and started wiping up the spilled coffee as Xiumin attended to Sehun.

"Hey, what do you want?" Sehun nudged Jongin in the arm.

Jongin tore his gaze away from Taemin and shook his head. "Huh? Oh, uh . . . tea?"

Sehun nodded and smiled pleasantly at Xiumin. "One tea . . . please." And proceeded to wave money in the air.

Xiumin took a deep breath as he cracked his neck. Anything to keep him from strangling the kid as he snatched the money from his hand. "Right up!" He replied.

Taemin chuckled as he ran his rag across the counter top, leaving a fresh smear of wet sheen against the white marble. 

And then a large, warm hand rested on top of his, stopping his movements.

Taemin stilled and looked up. He wasn't sure when he would get used to the feeling of Jongin's skin touching his, but it made him hold his breath every single time.

Jongin leaned forward. "Are you almost done?" he whispered, voice low and slightly urgent.

Taemin bit his lip. He sneaked a glance in Xiumin's direction to see the elder still busy making the tea. He looked back at Jongin and leaned in, the tips of his light brown hair fluttering softly against Jongin's hand. "Get it to go and maybe I can convince him to close a little early," he whispered back with a mischievous smile.

Jongin's eyes darkened in anticipation as he nodded and slid his hand off of Taemin's.

Taemin let out the breath he had been holding as he scampered back to the back room. 

Twenty minutes later, Xiumin closed up the shop and Taemin was waving the elder goodbye as he walked across the street towards the school. It was unexpectedly cold for mid-March and it being close to 8:30 meant the sun's heat had all but dissipated, leaving a chill in the night air. 

Taemin shivered as he popped the collar of his white button down and ed the cuffs, letting the sleeves fall past his hands. He crossed the parking lot and sat on the steps at the front entrance to the school. He took out his phone and sent a text to Jongin telling him he was waiting. He smiled at the fluorescent screen wondering when it became so normal to send and receive texts.

It had been two weeks and three days since Taemin had met Jongin. And every night, after work, they would meet to dance.

Taemin breathed deeply as he felt his face flush just thinking about it. How different things had become so quickly. He didn't know how Jongin felt, but to him, their time spent together was his most cherished. 

Because when Taemin explained a difficult move, Jongin listened. And when Taemin danced, Jongin watched. And when Taemin made a stupid joke, Jongin . . . laughed. 

Taemin smiled and hugged himself. Regardless of how long it would last, he would remember it for always, he knew that for sure. 

And then he found himself being hugged from behind, long firm arms wrapping tightly around his front. "Yah, you're freezing," Jongin murmured into Taemin's hair.

The warmth of Jongin's . . . everything  felt like the best thing in the world. Taemin closed his eyes and wished for time to stop. 

But of course it didn't. Jongin merely

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter