Don't run from tomorrow

Popping Pointe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                              

 

 

       Don’t run from tomorrow

 

 

           The term ‘brother’ should be used rather loosely. For in this case, when Jongin was born, he only had two elder sisters. But since his family was quite well off, maybe they felt it was their duty to give back. And what could be better than adopting an abandoned child from poor circumstances?

 

 

          Thus, when Jongin was ten, he suddenly got an elder brother. A cute boy with a jester-like smile and pronounced cheekbones named Kim Jongdae. But their names being similar might be the only thing they have in common.


 

          It’s not like they didn’t get along. Jongdae was never really mean to Jongin, that wasn’t exactly the right word for it. He just liked to tease the younger . . . relentlessly. First of course, being Jongin’s love for dance, or more specifically Ballet- Jongdae always had a field day with that. The slippers, the tights, the frills and fuss were much too girly, among other things.


 

        But when Jongin was 12, Jongdae took the younger’s stuffed bear that their eldest sister had given him. Jongin used to carry the bear everwhere, the park, vacations, church. . until the point that he couldn't sleep without it beside him. Jongdae had to of known how much the bear meant to Jongin. But for whatever reason, that day, Jongdae took the bear away. The two boys fought over the old raggedy toy for almost an hour, until the damn thing just went and ripped in half, losing an arm and an eye in the process till all the stuffing fell out. Maybe the bear was childish and silly. Maybe Jongin should have just let Jongdae play with it. But that didn’t matter anymore because the bear was in the trash next to everything else that was thrown away that day.


 

         Their parents berated the boys for not learning how to share and their sister promised to buy them each a bear next time, but that didn’t keep Jongin from crying himself to sleep that night. Because maybe on the outside Jongin seemed cold. Maybe his intense stare seemed distant. But the truth is, Jongin’s a baby at heart and to him that bear was irreplaceable. So he’d curl up in his bed and pull the covers up tight and let his eyes cry because some things can’t be solved with words and can’t be fixed with fists. 
 

 

        And you may think this story is lame, cliché and exaggerated, but the point of it isn’t the bear at all. It’s the fact that while little Jongin laid in his bed wiping his eyes from time to time, his brother was there lying against his back.
 

 

       Jongdae had hugged the younger, squeezed him tightly and apologized profusely. For even though he teased too much and didn’t know when to quit, Jongdae loved his new family with all his heart. For he had never had a little brother to play with and he had never had parents to scold him, but even he could understand what it would feel like to lose them both. For the gift of a loving home was something he always feared would be taken away from him.

 

 

         But unfortunately, no matter how much you wish for something, it doesn’t mean it will come true. There’s always someone waiting to throw a wrench in your best laid plans. So call him overprotective or unruly, but Jongdae’s on a mission and he will do anything to succeed. For he can’t lose another sibling. That’s why he’s here afterall; to bring Jongin home.

 

 

                “I didn’t know Jongin had a brother.” Sehun says, leaning casually against his dresser as he eyes the shorter man on the other side of the room.

 

 

                Jongdae smirks as he picks up the framed picture on Jongin’s bedside table. “You’ve seen this picture before, no?”

 

 

                Sehun shrugs, a little annoyed. “You don’t look alike. Thought you were an ex.”

 

 

                Jongdae frowns, confused. “An ex?”

 

 

                “Boyfriend.” Sehun says, like it’s obvious.

 

 

                Jongdae’s eyes widen and his head snaps back. He eyes the younger like he’s just turned into an alien, but it only takes a few seconds to realize the rainbow-haired boy’s actually not joking, and that’s pretty effing funny. To think that he was dating his brother? Jongdae practically spits as he erupts in messy laughter.

 

 

                To which, Sehun’s eyes widen in serious question as to whether this weird troll currently laughing his head off in his dorm room is actually related to the solemn dancer he calls a roommate.

 

 

                “Speaking of which.” Jongdae starts once catching his breath. “Is Jongin dating anyone?”

 

 

                Sehun’s surprised by the question, but reluctant to give out any answers. “Maybe.” He challenges.

 

 

                “. . .” Jongdae pauses a second as he eyes the dead expression on the other boy’s face. Sehun was it? The boy was tall and lanky, a bit baby-faced, but attractive he supposed? And that’s when he realized it. Sehun was wearing the shirt he bought Jongin when the younger got sick on a rollercoaster and threw up all over himself. It was forever ago, but Jongin loved that shirt.

 

 

                “. . .Ah. I see.” Jongdae says slowly, nodding his head as he starts to put the pieces together.
 

 

                Now it was Sehun’s turn to pause. He looked around the room just to make sure he wasn’t crazy because he definitely missed something. “Wait. What?”

 

 

              Jongdae lets out a laugh and runs a hand through his short black hair, a sheepish expression gracing his face. “Sorry. I just thought you’d be shorter.” He says with a roll of his shoulder.

 

 

            And now it was Sehun’s turn to flip his . “What?! No! He’s not dating me, jeez. Jongin’s so not my type.” Sehun defends bordering somewhere between offended and embarrassed.

 

 

                Jongdae smiles until his eyes disappear. "I'm only teasing. I just noticed your shirt so I figured you guys must be close. But believe me, if Jongin was into guys . . . you wouldn't be his type either.” He offhandedly digs, feeling the need to stick up for his brother. 


 

                Sehun rolls his eyes and crosses his arms. Straight guys. “Whatever. He should be here soon. Hopefully.”

 

 

           Jongdae smiles and nods while continuing to browse his little brother’s room. The boy who left home two years ago to follow in the footsteps of their late sister.

 

 

            He sits on the bed and stares at the photograph again. The picture was taken on a gorgeous day in June. They were on their way home from a movie, just Jongin and him. The younger had a casual arm thrown around the elder’s shoulders and a smile played on his lips. Jongin looked so young, happy and carefree. They both did. 

 

 

         And as Jongdae contemplated the past, Jongin took the steps two at a time, reaching his dorm room and opening the door to find his roommate and ‘brother’ inside.

 

 

        “What are you doing here?” Jongin asks, rushed and out of breath so it may have sounded rough and snarky, but he was actually concerned.

 

 

          Jongdae turns at the sound of that deep voice. He smiles. “Is that any way to greet your Hyung?” He jokes.

 

 

         Jongin sighs, seeing that his brother is fine, the usual tension draining from his face as he removed his shoes and shut the door.

 

 

       “You didn’t tell me you had a brother.” Sehun accuses.

 

 

         Jongin cast a glance at his sour-looking friend.

 

 

       “And I guess you didn’t tell him you were gay, but- I did. Sorry.” He says giving one of those, ‘did all I could, but not really, expressions’.

 

 

       But Jongin’s not ruffled in the slightest. In fact he’s rather amused that the other thinks he would be. “You’re not sorry.” He replies.

 

 

     Sehun looks pleased with himself. “Let’s just say we’re even.”

 

 

    Jongdae watches the exchange between the younger males with a sense of uneasiness, not knowing where exactly to interject. He almost felt like the third wheel. “Um. . .you're gay?“

 

 

      Jongin looks up as he moves across the room in a few long strides. He takes the frame out of his brother’s hands and places it back on the bedside table gently.

 

 

         "Ignore him." Jongin says to Jongdae because the matter of his uality isn't really why he's here, is it?

 

 

              “I'm not going.” Jongin says suddenly, his voice low and oddly unsteady.

 

 

         “What?” Jongdae questions.

 

 

       Jongin places the palms of his hands on the table and leans against it for support. He closes his eyes. “The answer is still no.”

 

 

     Jongdae frowns, this has been going on too long. “I’m not asking you.”

 

 

      Jongin lets out a long breath. He turns and flops on to the bed next to his brother.

 

 

      “It’s been months, Jongin. You’re not proving anything anymore, you’re just punishing them at this point.”

 

 

       Jongin covers his eyes with his forearm, too tired to argue. “Why did they stop the investigation?”

 

 

            Jongdae rolls his eyes. “This again?”

 

 

             Jongin turns onto his side, his long arms coming out to wrap around the older yet smaller boy. He hugs him, a sign of uneasiness and fear that Jongdae knows all too well.

 

 

         “Did you know a boy named D.O.?” Jongin questions, his words muffled in between the folds of Jongdae’s sweatshirt.

 

 

                The elder’s eyes go wide and his body stiffens. “. . .Kyungsoo? You’ve . . . spoken to him?”

 

 

                Jongin squeezes his eyes shut and hugs his brother tighter, because now he knows he’s been lied to. “You know him?”

 

 

                “. . . What did he say?”

 

 

                Jongin shakes his head before rolling away from the elder. He stares straight ahead, eyes hazy. “Nothing. He won’t tell me anything, but he knows something, doesn’t he?”

 

 

         “Jongin, he-”

 

 

         But Jongdae’s cut off by Jongin’s cell phone. The ringtone unfamiliar from the normal. Whose number had he set that song to?

 

 

         Jongin pulls the phone out of his pocket and glances at the caller ID.

 

 

        Taemin

 

 

         Everything goes white, momentarily blinding Jongin as he blinks and rechecks the phone. But it's real

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter