Chapter 24

We Belong Together

After the incident a while ago, Minseok catered Heechul as if he is his boss, occasionally asking him if needs sugar or cream for his coffee, putting his papers across Luhan's table and even dusting away the dirt on Heechul's fur coat. He was so close massaging the other's sore shoulders when he caught Luhan's glare shouting I'm your boss, not him. Minseok's arms deflated like a balloon before he started to catered on Luhan.

"I am glad that you invited me to create the program for your gadgets, Sir." Heechul started as he pressed his sore shoulders with his thumb. After feeling the pain less, he opened his laptop for Luhan to see the program he created.

The sound of the clicks of the keyboards and the image of the green letters displayed on the black screen made Minseok interested at the program that Heechul will present. He is a software engineer graduate but he took a liking with creating programs after seeing Jongdae making one. As Heechul opened his mouth to discussed the features of the program to a bored Luhan, Minseok found it interesting as the man explained some key points here and there.

But, something is off with Heechul's presentation. Minseok can feel an itch in his curiousity as the man explained advanced features about the program. There was something missing in this amazing program he created. Indeed, Heechul made a program that is fast and a great multitasker but there is something missing in this great creation.

"So, Mr. LuHan, the program that I encoded will be adequate for the gadgets that your company is making." Heechul said. "I think it's perfect. If you have opinions or suggestions for the program, I would be glad to check it once again and re-do it for you."

Luhan was not even staring at the presentation. He was staring at Minseok who clearly deep in thought as he gnawed his lips. A smile suddenly graced on his lips as he turned to Heechul.

"Do you think the program is enough, Mr. Oh?" Luhan asked over his cup of coffee.

The question made Minseok jolt in his position, quickly straightening up and gave Luhan a questioning look. The other just gave him a smile before nodding to him as if entrusting him his opinion in this whole matter. Sweat started to trickle down his temple as he stared at Heechul who was confused why Luhan needed an opinion from a mere secretary.

"The program is still missing some points in my observation, Sir." Minseok started, his voice quivering. "Yes. Mr. Kim indeed presented us a great program that have great features. But, he forgot to think of the security of the program he created. I think Mr. Kim should give space for anti-virus softwares in his program. In that way, the gadget will not be easily infected by a virus."

It was a simple answer. Just a jumble of words he remembered in college made in a sentence. However, his answer made the famous programmer stared at him with wide eyes.

"Ahh, yes. I forgot to give some space for softwares." Heechul said after coming down from his shock. "I should talk with some software engineer for the software they can offer for this program."

I'm a software engineer. I can help you! Minseok thought as he watched Heechul explained the closing points for his presentation.

The presentation ended with no troubles. Luhan even offered his best software engineers to Heechul as a form of help for the programmer. A laugh and an exchange of words happened before Heechul bid a goodbye to Luhan and a cheery wink in Minseok's way. The smile on Luhan's face was quickly wiped out of his face upon seeing that.

While clearing the cups and organizing the papers, Minseok was itching to ask Luhan if he can help the programmer. For goodness' sake, he is a software engineer and his skills were being wasted in his job as a secretary. As time passed, clouds started to rain him down insecurity and regret as he thought of his skills.

Luhan can feel something was bothering Minseok but he decided to stay silent, letting Minseok speak out first. He was tired of asking question and intoducing a topic to the other after finding out that the other can carry a conversation with a stranger.

"Mr. Lu, I can help Mr. Kim Heechul with the software he was searching for." Minseok blurted out after arranging the papers.

Or, maybe, he should not let Minseok spoke first. A sigh came out of Luhan's lips before he rubbed his palm on his face. It was too tiring to argue with Minseok. They used to argue when they used to share nights together. And, he can still remember as yesterday how Minseok would argue back until Luhan succumbed to the other's will. In order to win the argument, Luhan would just pulled the other to the bed for another enjoying night. But, he can't do it right now. Minseok will surely shunned him like a plague.

"Mr. Oh, I think we already talked about that." Luhan said tiredly. "You resigned in your position as a software enginneer. Someone got your spot so I offered you this job."

"But, I could be a liaison officer instead." Minseok insisted.

"So, who would be my secretary then?" Luhan asked, completely annoyed by this question.

"Hyeri was your secretary before she become a liaison officer." Minseok said back. "I could be in her place. I mean, I can do better than her as a liaison officer."

"Well, you are doing better than her as my secretary." Luhan said, his head hurting in this argument.

"I can teach her make good coffees for you if that is what you want." the other reasoned out. "My skills as a software engineer is clearly being wasted as your secretary. Instead of creating softwares, I spend my days making your coffee, writing your schedules and arranging your stuffs."

Luhan stood up from his seat, banging his palms on his table in anger. "Isn't it not clear that I want you as my secretary, not Hyeri?  It's not about the coffee that you make. It's your presence, Minseok! That is what I want. Your presence, your attention, your opinion, your voice, your stares and your smile. I want those! I already made it clear that I still love you! Why do you keep asking these stupid questions?"

The anger shocked Minseok but the confession that Luhan once again raised is what made him shocked him more. He was speechless and frozen in his spot. He doesn't know what to do under Luhan's lonely eyes. Sensing the heat that anger covered Luhan, Minseok was about to place his hand over his boss' forehead. Maybe, with that, he can give Luhan some comfort.

"I'm tired, Minseok." Luhan whispered while closing his eyes. "I'm so tired."

Minseok placed his hand on Luhan's forehead, feeling the smooth warmth tickling his palm. Luhan took his hand and placed it on his lips, pressing a kiss on Minseok's palm. The affection gave Minseok shudder but he didn't pull away. He missed this. And, just like Luhan, he is tired of running. He was too preoccuppied with his thoughts when Luhan suddenly grabbed him and hugged him gently.

Feeling Luhan's warmth again, Minseok didn't try to resist himself from hugging the other as he placed his arms around the other's waist. He missed this. Tired and defeated, Minseok pressed his face on Luhan's chest, letting Luhan's waft on his nose. Feeling the other relaxing under his embrace, Luhan let Minseok's hair tickled his cheeks as he hugged him tighter. They stayed like that. Hugging each other, forgetting their work and position and letting each other's warmth comfort them.

"Wow. Am I disturbing something?"

Minseok quickly pushed Luhan away from him before he glanced at the figure who just entered the room with no permission. His eyes widened at the sight of the person standing on the doorway. Remembering Baekhyun's warnings, he quickly bowed to Luhan and the person before scurrying out og his boss' side. He was on his way to the door when the person suddenly greeted him,

"Long time no see, Minseok." she said with a smile.

"Hello to you too, Yoona." Minseok greeted with a smile before closing the door for the couple.

Wake up, Minseok! That man is already married!

 

 

"Hell to you, Yoona." Luhan hissed as he shot his wife a cold glare. In tiredness, he flopped his body on the chair, making the thing object with a screech. "Why are you here? Shouldn't you be still in Busan?"

Yoona stared at him with an offended look in which the latter responded with an eye roll. "Is that how you talk to your wife?"

Pissed off by the sudden events, Luhan let out a grumble before putting his head on the table. "Just go away! My head, body and heart hurts. I don't have the time to be the subject of your teasing."

His wife let out a boisterous laugh, simply enjoying the torture that his husband is feeling. She then felt quiet when she remembered they were in the same boat, the boat of lonely and heartbroken people. "I saw my daughter after all these years," she whispered to the air.

With that, Luhan abruptly raised his head and stared at his wife with a shocked expression. "You did? But, your parents... how?"

"Let's just say, I have my ways." she said with a shrug. "Ohh Luhan, you shoud have seen her. She is the most beautiful girl I ever seen in my life. She is well-mannered and also kind. Even though she is only four years old, she knows how to cook. She cooked instant noodles for me once."

Unlike the bliss that Yoona is into, Luhan is in swimming in confusion. Did Yoona and her lover make up already?

"You spoke with your lover?" he carefully asked, a tinge of envy in his voice. Wow, Yoona already talked with her lover while he was boss-zoned by his beloved.

"I didn't." Yoona said in a low voice as she bowed her head. "I talked with Lauren behind Seunggi's back. The day I first saw her was when she was buying medicines for her father. What a pity. I can't even to take care of my own husband and help my daughter with chores."

"Atleast, you got to talk with your daughter who is alive." Luhan said, drowning his thoughts of his dead son.

The Im lady glanced at her husband who is in deep thoughts and she felt pity for him. Minseok hid his son to him in order to protect the boy. But, Luhan is the other father, too. He can also feel the pain of losing his son.

"Luhan, what if your son was alive? What if all of these are misunderstandings?" Yoona asked.

The bubble of sadness that Luhan is in popped and was replaced with surprise. His child alive? Such thought made him suddenly alive and happy. At once, he grabbed Yoona's arm and stared at her in despair. The question suddenly brought him into madness, wanting to know if his child is still alive.

"I'm just asking, Luhan. I don't know what happened to your child." Yoona said firmly as she tears Luhan's grasp on her arms. She knows that the child is still alive and living with the name of Sehun. But, she is not Sehun's mother to decide to tell the truth. The truth should come from Minseok's own lips, not from hers.

Luhan tore his gaze to the lady and instead, focus his gaze on the view outside. He closed his eyes and let out a sigh, deeply in pain of losing his lover and his child. "If the child is still alive, I will love him with all my heart. I will give everything to him. Toys, love, care, safety and a family. I could give those to him. I will make Minseok fall for me so that we can be a family."

Yoona rolled her eyes. After all what happened, Luhan still remained naive and clueless about the real world. His answer made Yoona to keep quiet rather than to tell the truth. Giving everything to his son will not be enough to save Sehun and Minseok. Right now, not only the Lu's and the Im's are their enemies. Their fans and the people had jumped to the wagon and it will be a tough work to protect their loved ones.

"Foolish," Yoona commented on him.

Instead of responding in her comment, Luhan just shot her a glare before he continued staring at the view in his window. Staring at the view of the day reminds him of Sehun, the adorable son of Minseok. He missed the way the boy will coo whenever he pointed out cars and planes passing by the window. He missed the boys warmth and innocence that had filled up the hole in his heart. Slowly, the pain of losing his child was being replaced by the boy's giggles, hugs and kisses. If only Minseok would accept him, he can be a great father to Sehun.

"You know what, I haven't seen this Seunggi before." Luhan started. "You talked about him to me but I have never seen him yet. Is he a good father to your daughter?" he asked.

A smile appeared on her lips as she remembered how Seunggi take care of their child. "Yes, he is a very good father. Lauren grew up to become a kind girl. I wished I was there, too." she whispered.

Luhan didn't say anything. He doesn't know what words he will let out since they are in the same position. Encouraging words and a piece of advice can never be formed in his mouth because he, too, is troubled by the same problem. 

"Does Seunggi already had a lover?" Luhan asked since only questions escaped from his lips.

Yoona shook her head before looking at her husband. "He is too focused with Lauren. I doubt he will have the time to look for a partner."

"What if he finds one?" her husband asked, overturning the tables by asking the 'what if' question.

Silence took over the room for seconds before Yoona answered with a serious tone. "I think I will fight for him then,"

 

 

 

Jongdae's phone is like a container of different emotions. The messages that filled his phone were expressing their feelings for him right now. Like his boss who is expressing his anger to the latter since he hasn't make an appearance in work for almost two weeks. His boss is demanding him to go back to work or he will be fired which caused Jongdae to sighed in defeat. Maybe, he needed to go back to work since he needs some money for food.

Another message was from his beloved mother who is expessing her longing for her sons who were been away from her for a month. He requested Jongdae to visit her in their hometown, lightly scolding her son for his laziness to drive a mile away. An annoying message brought him a frown when he read Junmyeon's text to him. His twin brother stated that he once again saw Yixing and he never look so perfect in his eyes. Rolling his eyes at the cheesy message,  Jongdae deleted it and was about to throw himself to sleep once again when another message popped on his screen. His eyes narrowed at the name showing at the sreen. Erika. A snort came out of him before he threw the phone to his bed and let dreamland took him again.

Later that afternoon, he broke a plate and his phone as he stood frozen in his spot. He is dead. He is so dead that he needs to do dig for his own grave.

 

From: Erika

i'm pregnant. you're dead.

-end of message-

 

 

With the news of Yoona's arrival to the company, the people were suddenly jubilant and diligent in their work. The thought of seeing the Asia's royal couple had gave them strength to continue their jobs with smiles and hushed gossips. The productivity of the company increased, shocking Luhan in confusion but he discarded the thought off as he tried to find his secretary. On the other hand, Minseok is sulking in a bathroom stall, pulling his hairs in frustration for being weak infront of his ex-lover like that.

"For goodness' sake, Minseok snapped out of this !" he scolded himself in a whisper. "There are many reasons why you can't crumble like that infront of him! First, he is your married boss. Second, he is the son of the people who almost killed you. Third, he is China's prince. Fourth, he is the way to your death. And lastly, he is your son's father!"

He pulled his hair once again in frustration, banging his head on the wooden walls of the bathroom stall. He can't go back to Luhan's office after what happened. Add to the fact that Yoona, Luhan's wife, saw him hugging her husband, it will be a chaos to face them once again. Working in Luhan's company surely took his sanity away.  He needs to get away from this building first. Or else, he will surely lose his rational thinking and dignity when his officemates heard of him hugging Luhan.

A notification tone was heard from his phone. He took the phone and found a message from Seunggi that somehow calmed him down.

 

From: Seunggi

hey seokkie, i just arrived from busan. care to have a coffee break with me? i'm outside.

p.s. if you have work, i could just go. :)))

-end of message-

 

Minseok abruptly stood up from his seat and strode out of the stall, shocking the wits of a man who was doing his business. He paid no attention to the man's staring at him in bewilderement as he raced towards the door. He needed to take Seunggi away from the company since Yoona is still inside the building, observing the employees' productivity. Although he wanted to see them together, he thinks it is not the right time for them to reunite. He raced towards the elevator, quietly wishing that he will not encounter Luhan or Yoona. Heck, he also wished that Baekhyun will be out of sight or the man will not let him get away without an explanation.

Punching the button, Minseok let out a sigh as he rested his body on the glass wall of the lift. He gazed at the view that the lift had offered, trying to spot if Luhan is in sight. It must be a good choice to look around since he spotted the person that he is trying to avoid standing in the other elevator. Luhan looked impatient as he punched a button in the elevator. Quickly ducking down, in order to prevent Luhan seeing him, Minseok let out a curse as he punched a random button in the elevator. Judging by the angle of Luhan's arm, Minseok knew that the man will go down at the third floor, thinking that Minseok is in the cafeteria.

The elevators descended down without a halt and Minseok was quietly wishing that he can escape Luhan just for once. He needed to get his friend away from the building and he needed to get away from the man himself. When the bell let out a light ding and opened, he stood up from his position as he ran towards the hall. Without looking back, he raced towards the exit, ignoring the looks of the employees giving him. He spotted Seunggi waiting on the bench with two styrofoam cups in his hands. Without words, Minseok quickly pulled the other behind the huge plant which is, thankfully, concealed by shadow.

"Uhh, hello." Seunggi greeted as he stretched his arm to give Minseok his coffee. "I thought the bench will be the perfect place to drink coffee and talk. But since you dragged me here in this secluded area, I think it is fine to me to stand here,"

"What are you doing here?" Minseok hissed before taking the cup of coffee in Seunggi's hands. He opened the lid and smelled the calming scent of the caffe.

"Wow. I didn't know visiting a friend in work is illegal now." Seunggi said with a teasing smile, making Minseok rolled his eyes at him.

"Didn't you have work? And, where is Lauren? You didn't leave her alone in the house, didn't you?" the shorter man asked with his eyes wide open.

"Relax, Minnie." Seunggi said with a chuckle as he ruffled Minseok's head. "I took a day-off to go to Busan, remember? Plus, Lauren is the one who sent me here. She wanted me to tell you that she wants you to cook dinner for us later."

"You should pay me for being your chef. I always cooked for your meals." Minseok said before sipping the coffee from the cup.

"So, is it a yes or a no?" Seunggi asked as he swinged on the heels of his feet.

Minseok pushed him lightly, making the other man to fall back with a chuckle. "Of course, it is a yes. I don't have any choice." he said with a chuckle. "Plus, I missed Lauren. And, Sehun will be thrilled to see his favorite noona again."

Seunggi smiled at him before remembering that Sehun was sent to the hospital because of a high fever. "Is Sehun alright, by the way? I read your message. I'm sorry if I didn't have the money to help you for his bills."

"No, it's fine. It's my job to pay it." Minseok waved his hands at the other. "Let's just say, a generous man paid for Sehun's hospital bills and now, my baby boy can go home."

Crumpling the styrofoam cup in his hands, Seunggi threw the trash into the can before facing Minseok. "I can take Sehun from the hospital and bring him home. You still have work and judging by the time we have consumed, I think your boss will be mad to see you slacking around here."

At Seunggi's statement, Minseok almost choked in his drink, remembering that he was supposed to escape this hell. Throwing the cup to the trash bin, Minseok dragged the other man by the hand away from the building. "My work is done here. Let's just go and pick Sehun from the hospital."

He wanted to say no but sensing Minseok's desperation to leave the place made Seunggi closed his mouth and keep his question. He let the smaller man dragged him about before staring back at the fine building. There was a man staring at them through the window with a grim expression. For a moment, Seunggi shuddered at the man's gaze before he turned to catch up with Minseok's pace. Now, he understand why Minseok wants to leave.

 

 

 

Luhan's head is spinning in anger. His fists were tightened in a ball and his knuckles had turned white by his grasp. Fingernails digging in his palm as he stared at the scene of Minseok and the man walking away with hands entwined. He watched the two walked away from his sight before jealousy closed his eyes in darkness. His vision blurred in dimness as his blood boiled in jealousy. Anger started to seep through his body as the thought of what the two might do once they were out of Luhan's sight.

"I didn't know Xiumin has a partner."

"Me too. How cute! They look suitable for each other."

"I saw Xiumin bringing a boy here once. Maybe, that is his husband."

Closing his eyes, Luhan walked back to his office, ignoring the gossips pierced his already afraid heart. Venting his anger to those employees will not bring Minseok to his embrace. So instead of shouting at them and creating a scene, he resorted to memorizing their faces and their names before he closed his door. He needs new employees by tomorrow. After writing the names of the employees, he took his phone and dialed someone.

"Hello, this is Mr. Lu," he started as soon as the receiver picked up the call. "Can I have Oh Xiumin's address?"

He stayed quiet as he listened from the other line. With a smile, Luhan thanked her and hanged up.

Maybe, it is harsh to ruin a family for Sehun. But, his life will be harsher and miserable if he just stand there and watch Minseok be taken a way by a man. He knows Minseok still loves him. His eyes and his smiles tell it's all. He just need to push Minseok so that the latter could fall into his arms. Hopefully, his plan will work out.

 

 

 

It was already a week after Sehun was discharged from the hospital. Minseok rose an eyebrow as he watched the little boy hugged one nurse after another, muttering a sad goodbye to the pretty women kissing his cheeks. Sehun looks adorable if one watched him hug the nurses. But Minseok can see that little smile of content on the boy's face as the nurses bid their final goodbyes. Looks like Sehun inherited a lot of skills from Luhan, he thought. Even his creepy intentions.

In that week, Minseok focused his attention only to his son. Bringing him to his favorite park, buying him ice cream and playing with him. He spent the whole week with his son that he forgot he abandoned his work for a week. It was not in his intention to do that. His son's smiles and charms had blinded his eyes in his responsibility to the company, to Luhan. So, don't blame him. It was already Sunday and he was taking the clothes from the dryer when the doorbell suddenly rang. Sehun is lying on the carpet before the television while he colors his drawings. Although Minseok doesn't want the boy to open the door for him, he was having a hard task to balance the basket in his arms.

"Sehun!" he shouted as he took more clothes from the dryer. Now, where did Sehun's blanket go? "Sehun, can you please answer the door? Remember to peek at the peephole and ask who the stranger is, okay?"

"Okay, Daddy!" Sehun chirped back. Minseok listened to his excited steps as the boy ran towards the door. It was Sehun's second time opening the door and it brings a smile on his face. He can hear his boy's soft voice and he thinks that maybe Sehun is asking who the stranger is. He finally spotted Sehun's yellow blanket and as he pulled the soft fabric from the drying machine, he heard a squeal from Sehun.

It must be Seunggi and Lauren, he thought before he went out of the laundry room.

"Are you staying here for dinner, Seu--"

The basket of clothes almost dropped on the floor, thanks to his tight grip around the handle, but he didn't have the time to stop his jaws from dropping in shock. Before him, inside his little humble house, is Luhan, his coat and tie already off and the first two buttons of his shirt opened with the sleeves rolled up to his elbow, with Sehun in his arms. Minseok had to admit that the image is what he always dreams during nights but he had to progress first why Luhan is here.

"Sure, I'll stay for dinner." Luhan answered as he smiled at Minseok endearingly.

Minseok is still in a state of shock and Luhan took this as an opportunity to explore Minseok's house. Sehun pointed at the living room, squealing let's go watch telly, Uncle, and Luhan decided to follow Sehun's direction, ignoring the other man standing in the room. That was when Minseok snapped out of his trance. He quickly strode inside the den and placed himself infront of the television, making Sehun whined at him.

"What are you doing in here?" Minseok asked in a shriek. "This is trespassing. Go now!"

"I have Sehun's permission to go inside." Luhan said innocently that made the shorter man fumed in anger. He then turned to Sehun who was whining at his father. "Right, Sehun?"

With his Uncle's attention to him, Sehun nodded with a smile and then turned to his father with those deadly cute eyes and a pout in his lips. "Can Uncle Xiao Lu stay here for dinner, Daddy? Sehun will be a good boy."

"No, Sehun." Minseok replied instantly. "Uncle Xiao Lu here has a house of his own, bigger than ours. Someone must be waiting for him at home." he said, emphasizing the word in order for Luhan to go.

Luhan's smiles never wavered with that tone thrown at him. Instead, he turned to Sehun and said, "I'm all alone tonight, Sehun. Yeah, maybe, I have a house bigger than yours but I don't have food delicious just like of yours. Can I stay here?"

Before Minseok could even protest, a sad frown was already on Sehun's face, his lips wobbling in sympathy as the thought of Luhan eating all alone appeared on his mind. Minseok's eyes widened in fright. He hated seeing Sehun cry. Yeah, maybe, the boy is a brat but he is so sweet and caring that Minseok felt bad for denying Sehun's wish.

I'm going to regret this tomorrow, he thought before he let out a sigh.

"Fine, Luhan can stay here but only for dinner." Minseok said before he strode away form the two. Although he was pissed by agreeing at the thought, his body felt light and warm as he walked towards the kitchen to cook dinner for three.

When Minseok was out of the sight, Luhan then turned to Sehun and squished the little boy's face with a kiss on the cheeks. Sehun whined in discomfort before Luhan let the boy go. He resorted in putting the little boy in his lap and pinched his little nose.

"Good acting, Sehun." he said with a wink. Sehun beamed at him before he started to talked about his favorite cartoons in the television. Luhan watched the animations with a contented smile as he let Sehun point out the characters.

The three of them have one thing in common and that is the smile on their faces. The three of them suddenly felt contented, happy and relieved that moment. Suddenly, it felt like everything was in the right place at the right time.

 


author's note:

/appears from nowhere/ /smiles and waves/ i updated cos i want to let everyone to know that i might 
update less in this upcoming three months. MIGHT but that will happen anyway. semester is here for
another torture and i need to prepare. ;))))))

anyway, are you guys happy with the update? i wanted to add something more but i decided to add it
for the next chapter. /slaps myself/ the fic is getting longer and i need to stop doing that. lol.
uhmmm, no more words for me. but, if you do have, you can put it in those boxes below. /giggles/
or we can talk on twitter and be friends and marry and then have beautiful kids. trust me, i have a
decent face. lol. /laughs/ that's all. have a nice day. :)