Chapter 20

We Belong Together

After climbing the stairs, Baekhyun emerged from the emergency exit with a haggard-looking face and disheveled clothing. Thanks to the sign board telling that the elevator is once again in repair, he was forced to climb flights of stairs just to get to their floor. With a few smooth here and there, he looked more presentable than before as he walked down the hallways to get to their cubicle.

It was still early for the whole department office to be filled with their colleagues so he had enough time to continue his work--

"Uncle Baek!"

A fluff of brown hair greeted past his eyes before there was a strong force pushing him back a little. Glancing down, he found Sehun mushing his face on his ironed shirt, creating creases and folds on the smooth fabric. Normally, he will freak out at anyone trying to mess up his shirt since he labored for hours on smoothing those clothes. But since this is Sehun, the adorable and obedient toddler, he let it go and ruffled the boy's hair.

"Sehun!" Minseok reprimanded, a newly-opened yoghurt in his hands. "Didn't Daddy tell you to keep quiet? Mr. Boogey-man will wake up and find you,"

The threat created more creases on Baekhyun's shirt, seeing the fact that Sehun started to wail and gripping Baekhyun's sides with his little fists. Heaving a sigh, the older took the sobbing toddler and bounced him in his arms, successfully turning Sehun's cries to giggles as he walked to their shared cubicle. Good thing, there are still no people around the area to hear Sehun's shrieks and giggles.

"So, how is the meeting so far?" Baekhyun asked as he turned his laptop on to get his work ready. Sehun is quietly shoving spoonfuls of yoghurt in his mouth, oblivious that he is in a place where he should not be. "And, why is he here, eating yoghurt, in the farthest corner?"

"Baekhyun," Minseok started, a tired sigh escaping from his lips. "You know already that Sehun was kicked out of the daycare. And since Jongdae is busy with his work and my good neighbor is currently in Busan for a vacation, he has no other guardian but me. So, I decided to bring him in work."

Baekhyun wanted to ask if their boss knows that there is a bubbly kid present in their department but judging at Minseok's hopeful looks at him, he knew that the latter sneaked his son inside the company. It grealty spelled trouble, with a capital T, blaring red in Baekhyun's mind. He knew that once their boss found a kid in his cubicle, he will be fired. But, instead of voicing out of his thoughts, he chose to ask what is in his mind.

"Do you have a meeting with our boss this afternoon?"

Minseok didn't answer. Instead, the older just shot Baekhyun one of his infamous gummy smile, the one that rounds his cheeks and makes him look like a kid. With that kind of response, the scenario the other day came back like a flashback in his head. Running up and down the stairs, closing and opening doors, crouching under tables and whispering sehun in each cubicle in the women's restroom was not the job he had signed for.

Glancing at the cute toddler shaking his head in an adorable manner, Baekhyun took note that kids are scary and the spawns of Satan. 

"Is it alright if you take care of him for me?"

Baekhyun started to think how much will it cost him to buy a leash that he had found once in a store.

 

 

Baekhyun was fine of taking care of Sehun. He has finished his presentation report yesterday and has read the files that he needed to read. Besides, the bubbly boy is obedient and quiet. He obediently hid himself in the corner of his and Minseok's cubicle when one of Baekhyun's co-workers decided to visit him for a question. Sehun doesn't make any sound of noise since it was drowned by Baekhyun's loud blast of music. Everything was going well until--

"Uncle Baek! Let's play a game," Sehun said in a hushed tone.

Baekhyun tore his gaze at the papers in his hands. He smiled at the cute expression that the toddler has before pinching his chubby cheeks gently, making Sehun pout. "We can play later. I'm busy right now." he said in an apologized tone.

He was expecting a whiny response but he was shocked to receive a nodding toddler with a smile on his face. Shrugging at the boy's response, Baekhyun decided to continue his work. He needs to finish proofreading the document before his boss return. He was still reading the sentence when he felt a tug on his shirt. Glancing down, he found Sehun blinking at him.

"Are you not busy now?" the boy asked.

Baekhyun grinned. "Give me a minute. I'll just finish this. And then, we can play." he said before turning back to his work.

After ten seconds, he felt another tug on his shirt that was followed by another question. "How about now?" Sehun asked innocently.

Sensing that he will never finish work with Sehun bothering him every ten seconds, Baekhyun decided to close the folder in his hands and turned his attention to the little boy who was smiling giddily when his uncle's attention were turned to him.

"What do you want to play?" he asked, drawing his face closer to Sehun's.

"Hide-and-seek!" the boy answered, his eyes turning like stars.

Perhaps it was a wrong choice to agree with the toddler to play that game. Maybe, Baekhyun should have stayed stubborn in finishing his work instead of crumbling into submission with the little boy's offer. Because if they stayed inside their cubicle, Baekhyun will not be going crazy, trying to find the lost toddler again.

Seriously, what is wrong with him? Losing a toddler like losing a penny.

He was busy crouching under the table of his co-worker, thinking that Sehun is probably hiding there somewhere, when he heard a cough, making him jump in shock. His head hit the table violently, sending shots of pain to his head. Emerging from his hiding place with a pained moan, he spotted the executive director of the company.

He immediately stood up from his seat, ignoring the pain throbbing on his head, before bowing at the said-man. "Mr. Park," he said. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

Chanyeol shot him a weird look, wondering what Byun Baekhyun is doing under the table. Snapping out of his thoughts, he just shook his head and placed the folder he had on the table while giving instructions to him.

"Give this to Mr. Kim. Tell him I want the summary of that file as soon as possible." the executive said.

Baekhyun glanced at the folder on the table. He knew that he will be the one who will suffer since his boss will surely pass his job to him like how a he is in Baekhyun's life. He was in the middle of burning the paper down with his glares when the executive director coughed to gain his attention.

"And," Chanyeol started, his voice turning husky. "Don't hide under the table. You might get a concussion when you hit your head on the table. And, you might die."

Baekhyun stared at the taller man, trying his best not to give him a judging look. On the other hand, Chanyeol flushed in embarassment when he let out those words. Quickly bowing to the shorter man as a goodbye, he mentally slapped himself for being an idiot. He cringed once again when he imagined himself telling this story to his wife later. The teasings will surely rain down on him when he gets home.

 

 

He was on his way to Chanyeol's office to invite the younger one for a lunchbreak or a talk when he spotted a little boy hiding himself behind the plant displayed near the door. Glancing sideways to see if the boy's guardian is there, Luhan found himself confused what Sehun is doing in his company. The answers to his question pushed him to walk near the crouching boy and hid his large body behind the little ones.

A smile appeared on his face as he watched Sehun giggle all by himself with his little hands covering his eyes. Luhan thought that the boy is adorable in that state that he needs to restrain himself in gathering the boy in his arms and smothering him with kisses. Instead, he resorted tapping his finger on the boy's shoulders.

"Sehun-ah, what are you doing?" he asked, a chuckle escaping from his lips when Sehun gasped in shock.

After seconds of waiting, he got a response that he didn't expect. Instead of words coming out from the boy's mouth, a loud and excited Uncle Xiao Lu replaced those little words before Luhan was tackled on the floor by Sehun's power hug. Good thing, he has his arms around the boy's little body or else, Sehun would have bumped his head on the floor. Grunting by the huge ache he got on his back, Luhan tried to sit up form his position as Sehun babbles about his day.

"Uncle Baek and Thehunnie is playing hide-and-seek. Hide me, Uncle!" the boy said before headbutting Luhan on his chest.

A carefree chuckle managed to erupt from Luhan's lips as he carried Sehun to his arms and started walking to his office. Chanyeol was forgotten. His work was thrown outside the window. All remained is Sehun jumping around his office, occasionally gasping in surprise when he spotted the porcelain displays on the table. Luhan sat on his chair, watching the little boy like a hawk for safety.

"Sehun" he called, patting his lap to tell the little boy to come to him. "Come here,"

Sehun abandoned the beautiful porcelain elephant as he ran to his Uncle Xiao Lu. When the little boy got there, Luhan carried the boy and placed him on his lap. A smile evident on his face when the little boy snuggled in his warmth. Trying his best to look stern, Luhan turned to the toddler with a concerned face.

"What are you doing there, Sehun? This place is for adults, not for kids." Luhan said. "And, don't hide near that huge plant. The ants there might harm you." he reprimanded.

Normally, when Sehun was being reprimanded by his uncles or his Daddy, he resorted in pouting and crying to escape the stern voices easily. But, this time, Sehun nodded at his uncle's words, careful not to make his favorite person, next to his Daddy, mad. Luhan smiled at the boy's obedience before kissing Sehun's temple.

"Since you're a good boy, why don't we play hide-and-seek?" the older man asked, making the toddler in his arms gasped in excitement.

After four years of tragedy, Luhan found peace, joy and contentment in his life. With his coat shred from his body, he chased the little boy around his office, creating growling sounds to elicit giggles from the toddler. Sehun, with his wobbly feet, will hide from him by crouching behind the large table and closing his eyes with his little hands. Instead of scooping the toddler and pronouncing that he had won, Luhan plays pretend.

"Mr. Dragon, have you seen Sehun?" Luhan asked one of the porcelain dragons innocently. The judging stare of the dragons was neglected by Luhan when he heard a giggle from the little boy hiding behind the table.

With quiet steps, Luhan surprised the boy with a loud growl, making Sehun shriek as he ran from the older. Tired of playing pretend, Luhan scooped the toddler like a doll, pressing kisses on the boy's face as Sehun giggled in response. After three more games of hide-and-seek, Luhan decided to call it a break as he asked for his secretary to send him some lunch set and a chocolate bubble tea. With that, Luhan decided to entertain the younger with stories and airplane hushes.

The food arrived minutes later. The secretary entered the office with Luhan's permission, only to raise an eyebrow when she found her boss chatting cheerfully with a little boy. Pushing the confusion behind, she placed the tray of food on the table of her boss.

The loud tinkling of porcelain plates and the smell of food diverted Sehun's attention from his Uncle Luhan. Jumping from the older's lap, the little boy ran to the table and shyly peeked to see what food were being served. There were pasta, egg roll, bibimbap, and cakes placed on the white plates that made Sehun's eyes turned large from awe and hunger.

Chuckling at the child's behavior, Luhan ruffled Sehun's hair and nodded at his secretary that she is being dismissed. Casting the little boy one last look, the woman abandoned the office, leaving Luhan and Sehun with the food on the table.

The time passed by with Luhan making airplane noises as he feeds the toddler with a spoonful of pasta. It seems like the little boy really idolized him because whatever Luhan eats, Sehun will eat it too. With each passing second, the plates were empty of food and the bubble tea that Luhan introduced to Sehun settled in their stomachs.

Sehun was quietly sitting in his uncle's lap, his eyes closing every moment because of drowsiness. Smiling at the toddler, Luhan placed Sehun's head against his chest, letting the child fall asleep as he watched the boy's chest falls and rises. Putting his own coat around the Sehun's little body, Luhan hummed songs against Sehun's head as he enjoyed the peace for the first time.

 

 

Baekhyun was dragging his body to the twelfth floor, determine to search for Sehun even if he had cleared the first eleven floors. He only has thirty minutes to search for the toddler or else, Xiumin will get there and raise a riot if he found his son missing. Not wanting that to happen, Baekhyun pushed himself to run and search for the toddler despite the soreness of his thighs and tiredness weighing down on his body.

He was expecting to find Sehun after a long moment of running and crouching under tables. But he spotted the boy, jumping on his little feet with a box of cupcake in his hands. His eyes widened in fear when he realized that the toddler is playing and making noises infront of their President's office and this made him approach the little boy with frantic steps.

He was a feet away from reprimanding Sehun of playing around the office. His voice was about to leave his throat. His stern expression already put on his face. But, all those things he had prepared crashed down and was replaced by surprise when he saw Luhan, the President of their company, carrying Sehun and kissing his temples.

Maybe, he let out a surprise noise escape his mouth. Luhan turned to him with a surprised expression, clearly not expecting someone to see him with Sehun. On the other hand, Sehun was happy to see his Uncle Baekhyun. Wriggling his way out of Luhan's grip, the toddler ran to the frozen man when Luhan let him down.

"Uncle Baekhyun! You find me!" Sehun chirped, hugging the taller man and nuzzling his face on Baekhyun's leg. The game still circling in his head, unaware of the heavy atmosphere.

Baekhyun snapped out of his thoughts and carried Sehun, bowing slightly to the President for causing trouble.

"President Lu, I apologized for bringing a kid in this office. I promise to tell to my friend to stop bringing Sehun here and--"

"No." Luhan interrupted, displeased by the idea of not seeing Sehun. "Actually, I want you to do me a favor."

Baekhyun stopped mumbling his apology, only to look expectantly to older one. Bringing a child in the office will surely going to put him in a difficult situation since there were rumors he had heard about Luhan not liking kids because of an accident. Therefore, he promised to himself that he will do anything to do that favor in order to get in the good side of the President.

"I want you to bring Sehun to me everytime Xiumin leave him for a meeting." Luhan said while rubbing his neck sheepishly.

There was a shocked look eveident on Baekhyun's face, utterly confused why the young President want Minseok's child to be with him. Sensing that the younger one will say no, Luhan resorted to another decision where he is sure Baekhyun will not refuse.

"I'll pay you thrice the amount we have paying you for this work. Please consider it. You will be paid with a generous amount of money by just bringing Sehun." he coaxed.

It was not right for him to answer the favor. Sehun was not his child and he was just merely asked by his friend to take care of him. "But, Sir, Sehun is not my child. He is Oh Xiumin's son and I don't have the right to--"

"I'll talk to him." Luhan said. "I'll talk to him." he said once more, saying it to himself than to Baekhyun.

It was terrifying and confusing to agree with the plan. Who knows what will Luhan do with Sehun? There were news about men liking children which is creepy in Baekhyun's thought. But, he had seen how Luhan carried Sehun as if the toddler is a delicate thing. He had seen how the President kisses Sehun's temple as if the boy is his son.

A thought crossed Baekhyun's mind that made him looked at the President who is smiling at Sehun. Maybe, Luhan badly wants a child of his own since his wife has not yet conceived with a child. This thought circled in his mind and with that, he finally made a decision.

"Why not, Sir. I'll keep this a secret to my friend." Baekhyun said, making Luhan beamed at him like a boy.

Baekhyun was so immersed in his thoughts that he didn't notice that Luhan had named Sehun's father without him saying it. He was so caught up in the moment that he didn't know that he just gave way for another trouble in Minseok's life.

 

 

The bus ride to Busan was packed with people. And since they arrived late, Seunggi found himself balancing his body with Lauren in his arms. Despite the heat inside the bus and the fatigue in his eyes, he still has a smile on his face as his daughter recited the alphabet letters successfully. As a reward, Seunggi kissed his daughter proudly, promising the girl to cook her favorite meal once they arrived in Busan. Surprisingly, Lauren shook his head at her father's offer.

"Appa," Lauren called out, her head hanged low as she played with the buttons of her shirt. "What do you think of Uncle Xiumin?"

A brow was raised when Seunggi registered the question in his mind. Shrugging the thought away, he answered the question, "Uncle Xiumin is nice and a good father. Have you seen how he take care of Sehun? He takes care of Sehun lovingly, kissing him on the cheeks or the forehead and making him laugh with sneaky hugs. He also cooks delicious foods. And ...." Seunggi paused for a while, thinking of another compliment he needs to say. "He makes good coffees."

Lauren nodded at her father's words. The little button on his pink coat seems a great distraction so she will not stare at his father's eyes and see her plan. "Does Uncle Xiumin have a husband?"

Seunggi was stunned at his daughter's question. He doesn't know whether Xiumin is a carrier or not. He just notices it by the way Xiumin handle Sehun throughout this years. And, it surprises him that Lauren has guessed the man's status without her asking him. Composing himself, Seunggi mustered a smile and shook his head.

"I don't think so, Lauren. Xiumin doesn't tell me anything about Sehun's father. Anyway, it's bad to talk about other people like this." he stated, shifting Lauren in his other arm. "Now, aren't you excited to see your new dresses that Grandma made for you?"

Dresses were no longer a distraction for Lauren. All the girl can think of is setting his father and his Uncle Xiumin for a marriage. Sehun's father is the best candidate to be his father's husband. Plus, his Uncle Xiumin has taught her how to cook, clean the house and fix her bed. He represents Lauren's ideal mother. And even if Xiumin is a man, she is fine with that. All she wants is another parent that could balance her and her father's life.

"Appa," she called out once again. Seunggi turned to his daughter and smiled at him to continue. "Are you going to marry Uncle Xiumin?"

Shock is an understatement to what Seunggi had felt after her daughter uttered that question. Xiumin is a good friend, a friend that helped him to stand up once again after he got fired in his previous work. He never intended to see the younger man as a love partner or anything like that. They shared the same fate of being abandoned by their loved ones with their child. And, perhaps, that is the reason why they stick together.

With the question Lauren has asked, Seunggi was reminded of the beautiful girl he had once loved. For the first time after six years, he remembered the gentle giggles, the boisterous laughs and the sweet kisses of the heiress. He never told Lauren about her mother. Yoona has broken his heart after the heiress left him with their child. Bitterness, betrayal and anger coiled inside of him for six years. But, after hearing the question from Lauren's lips, he was suddenly afraid of the consequence if he answers the question. Truth be told, he never stops loving Yoona, despite the betrayal. But, it has been so long. And, he can see the envy passing through his daughter's face whenever she see her friends being kissed by their two parents.

"What do you think of Uncle Xiumin?" he asked.

A smile broke out of the girl's face. "Uncle Xiumin is caring and kind. He always takes care of me and Sehun. And, he cooks delicious bibimbap and bulgogi." Lauren paused for a while, gnawing at her lips. "Uncle Xiumin also makes me and appa happy. He will be a great parent to me and Sehun."

Lauren's answer is innocent. Seunggi wanted to say that her mother is kind and caring, too. He wanted to reveal that Yoona makes the best bibimbap in the world. But, all those reasons were pushed aside when Seunggi remembered that Yoona is not a great parent. She left Lauren in the hospital bed, all alone and crying. The note that he found on the bedside table ruined him along with his newborn baby's cries. And with that, he mustered his best smile and stared at Lauren.

"I'll ask him for a date once we get back in Seoul." he said after hearing the annnouncement that they have arrived in Busan.

 

 

Watching the father and daughter jumped out of the bus, a smile spreaded on her lips before she took out the phone in her pocket. Pressing the call button, she waited for the other line to pick it up as she follows the family. When the call was connected, she didn't waste time to inform the other person of the status of her mission.

"Miss, they arrived Busan safely. They are heading to Mrs. Lee's house now," Yuri informed as she spotted Seunggi kneeling before Lauren to tie her shoes.

"Good heavens!" Yoona breathed out in relief. "Please follow them until they get safe in Aunt's house. I almost had a heart attack when I found their house empty,"

"Don't worry yourself out, Miss. They are safe from harm when I'm here." Yuri said with a grin.

"Thank you, Yuri. I'll finish my work first before I go there in Busan," Yoona said as she stared at her husband who is chasing little Sehun around. "It's time to talk with my family."

 

 

After humming songs for a full-hour, he found Sehun already sleeping soundly in his arms. Laying the toddler carefully on the sofa, he covered the little one with the blanket he had found in one of his cabinets. With his little left arm raised, the toddler found comfort in sleeping in one of the office seats which is only reserved for the President's visitors.

But, Luhan ignored the use of the chair. He had cleared out all his meetings to enjoy time with Sehun so there will be no visitors that could cut his time with the precious toddler. Caressing Sehun's soft hair with a smile, Luhan once again let out a hum under his breath, casting the toddler to a deep slumber. 

The door opened with a click without him realizing. There were silent but graceful steps heard around the room before it stopped.

"Who is he?"

Luhan turned around, shocked by the sudden intrusion. He let out a smile on his face when he found his wife, dressed in her infamous jeans, looking at him with a confused gaze on her face. The subject of the confusion is the sleeping toddler on his lap but Luhan decided to ignore her question to cater the wriggling toddler whose sleep was disturbed.

Casting Yoona an irritated gaze, he hushed Sehun's whimpers by patting his back. The toddler's whimpers turned mute before dreamland took Sehun again. Letting out a sigh of relief, Luhan turned to his wife who was watching him with amusement etched on her face.

"Why are you wearing jeans? Are you going somewhere?" he asked.

"Am I not allowed to wear jeans?" Yoona asked pointedly. "Anyway, I'm going to Busan. I'll probably stay there for a week. Can you survive without food?" she asked mockingly with a tease.

Instead of the usual reply, Luhan just nodded at his wife, carefully smoothing Sehun's fringe from his forehead. His eyes remained at the toddler as the smile on his face was placed there permanently.

"Who is he?" Yoona asked once again, a smile creeping on her face as she watched how her husband takes care of the toddler.

"Ohh, him?" Luhan then turned to the toddler sleeping on his lap. He placed a kiss on Sehun's forehead before smiling at the toddler. "He is Oh Sehun. Isn't he cute?"

Her eyes widened for a split second, wondering what Minseok's son doing in Luhan's office. There's a chance that the Lu's might visit their son in any minute. And, seeing Sehun sleeping comfortably in this office without Minseok knowing was making her scared. She then glances to her husband to lecture him about bringing babies in office when she was captivated by the scene.

Luhan was caressing Sehun's head with a gentle hand. A proud grin presents on his face as he watched the toddler scrunched his nose. The scene is a beautiful picture of a father and son interaction. And for the first time, Yoona thought that Luhan is ready to face troubles in order to protect this little angel. He was no longer the coward heir of the Lu Industries, hiding behind his mother's skirt. He was a man and a father now.

"Sehun really looks like you," Yoona whispered, her eyes never leaving the scene before her.

Luhan turned to her, narrowing his eyes at her since he didn't hear her. "Huh? What did you say?"

It pities her that Luhan doesn't know anything about what is happening to his life. It hurts her that Luhan already has his own son with Minseok in his arms. It angers her that Luhan doesn't know that his parents are the reason for his tragedy. With this in mind, Yoona stepped closer to Luhan with a serious face.

"I have something important to tell you, Luhan." Yoona said, making her husband turned his full attention on her. "It will solve every dark questions in your life."

 

 

Baekhyun just returned to their department after dropping Sehun in Luhan's office. As he walks to his cubicle, he told himself that he will finish his program as soon as he can so that he can shove that to his boss' face. But, his plans crashed down on the floor when he spotted someone in his cubicle.

Turning quickly so he can hide his face, he silently prays that the person didn't see him. Life is his bestfriend and surely, life will not fail him, right? Wrong.

"Baekhyun!" Minseok called as he ran to catch up with Baekhyun. After seconds of running, he finally got hold of the younger man who was sweating and fidgeting like a suspicious man.

"M-Minseok, hello there." Baekhyun greeted nervously. "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in a meeting?"

"Mr. Kim dismissed us pretty early. He told us that he needs to go to the hospital to see his lover. I hope he is okay." Minseok explained with a sympathy tone.

At the mention of his boss, anger slowly boiled in Baekhyun's blood, silently wishing for his boss to be run down by a truck. If he was given a chance, he will definitely going to shove his pink stapler in his boss' huge mouth.

"Baekhyun, where is Sehun?" Minseok asked, looking around for the little boy. "I will bring him to his favorite ice cream shop."

Sweat started to trickle down on the back of his neck as he tried to fry himself for an answer. Sensing that he was taking too long to answer, Minseok stared at him with narrowed eyes, suddenly becoming suspicious of Baekhyun's lack of answer.

"Where is my son, Baekhyun?" he pressed the question harder, making Baekhyun whimper in fear.

He was about to answer the question with a lie that his brain got but his brain processed too slow since Sehun's squeals were heard from the hallway, diverting Minseok's attention from him.

"He's there. Playing with his cars." Baekhyun coolly answered, thanking the heavens for helping him.

Minseok quickly left him there as he ran to the hallways to fetch his son. When he was out of sight, Baekhyun let out a sigh of relief. But after seconds of processing, he that sigh in horror as he stared at the direction where Minseok headed to.

He forgot that Sehun is with Luhan. 

 



author's note:

i updated because i want to. lol hi guys!
i'm going to be busy this next month because of activities
exams and reports. but if you want me to update fast, you
can help me with my reports. ;) just kidding. lol.
remember the life and death exam i need to take? well, i need
to take it again. i hope i can pass it. i want to eat major subjects now. ;;A;;
sorry for the broken promise of xiuhan moment. but dont worry. it will
progress beautifully soon. i'll add some flowers and glitters
and sparkling hearts in the next chapters. so, dont worry yourself out
 

ohh, and important question!!! how do you see the ending of this fic?
just a question, i want to know your honest opinions and viewpoints about this fic.
i have my own definition of ending. but i just want to see yours. ;)
that's all. toodles~ have a good day!