Chapter 2

We Belong Together

It was Sunday morning when Minseok decided to fix the broken heater lying on the other side of his room. He had enough of watching Luhan make coffees for him every midnight after they have . It’s not that he doesn’t like it but Minseok doesn’t want to be pampered by the man who is helping him to have a baby.

Minseok sighed when he remembers how many times Luhan and him violated the rules in the contract deal they have signed. And, Minseok doesn’t know whether it’s good or bad.

 

Rule Number 7: Don’t interrogate each other’s past.

They were sitting on the bed, holding a cup of hot milk in their hands and sipping it occasionally as they enjoyed the silence around them. They just finished having rounds of and they were about to sleep when Luhan suddenly got up and made two cups of hot milk.

Finding the silence awkward and suffocating, Luhan decided to initiate their communication by telling any kind of stories in hopes of making Minseok speak.

“We’re going to have our comeback next week,” Luhan started, glancing at Minseok under his cup. Minseok just gave him a nod of understanding yet his eyes is on the cup, savoring the taste of the warm beverage.

“We might go to Korea since our manager said we have fans there. Can you believe it? We have fans in Korea!” Luhan chirped excitedly. He once again glanced at the other, hoping to see a vague enthusiasm from the other male. But, it seems like there are walls around Minseok, making the boy oblivious to the other’s motive. He just gave Luhan another nod and went on drinking the milk on his cup.

Luhan let out a sigh of defeat. It seems like he can’t bring Minseok to talk to him once again. Yes, he agreed at the deal because he wants to help and there’s . But, after seeing Minseok smiled at him for the first time, he unknowingly wants to see it again. He tried to ignore the fact his heart raced for a moment but he can’t deny that Minseok’s smile is adorable and everyone knows Luhan has a for adorable things.

“You’re a Korean, right?” Luhan asked once again although it’s an obvious fact since the accent of the shorter boy gives off that he’s indeed not from China.

Minseok stilled for a moment, weighing the means of answering the question or not. Seconds were ticking and time is slowly making him uneasy that he just nodded his head as a response.

“Then, why are you here?”

Minseok closed his eyes for a moment. The question he dreaded the most has appeared once again infront him. A lot of people asked him that question but he just gave lies as an answer, hoping no one could ask him again. Rummaging his head for another lie to answer, Minseok gulped down his drink and looked at Luhan’s curious face.

“China was known for having excellent schools for engineering here. So, I study here.” Minseok answered. Heck, he doesn’t even know whether China was really known in that field. But, in order to keep Luhan away from his secret, he gave off that answer and just go with the flow.

“What do your parents do? For you to study in a different country, you must have come from a wealthy family.” Luhan said, his voice was of silk that Minseok almost, almost, tells the truth to him.

“I—I . . .Yes. . . I mean, I—my family tried their best to send me to an excellent school.” Minseok answered in a soft whisper. Luhan nodded. “I’m going to sleep now.” He said before another question pops out and another lie is born.

Luhan can’t say no more since Minseok’s back was facing him already, telling him that the conversation is over and that their relationship is not of friendship or acquaintance.

 

Rule Number 5: Don’t show affection to each other.

College was making him tired and frustrated. Deadlines of projects, arrogant professors, surprise quizzes and ten pages of written thesis were breaking him from his dreamland. Eating was out of his time schedule in those days because he needs to fix his essays and projects first.

A cup of coffee has become his breakfast in the morning. A packet of crackers replaced rice for his lunch. Logic problems and calculators become his everyday dinner. To top all of his miseries, he got a high fever in the middle of his hiatus week.

Luhan was forgotten in that whole week as he tried to rush everything in order to pass all his subjects. He turned off his phone and spent the whole day in the library in order for him to avoid confrontation with the taller male.

The examination week was over when his fever got worse. Jongdae offered to take him to the hospital for a check-up but the shorter male declined the offer because they can’t afford medical bills (they are college student, of course) and Jongdae has a next class after this.

“Are you sure you are going to be okay? You know, I can skip my class—“

“I’m already twenty-four, Jongdae. I can handle myself.” Minseok said as he arranged his things in his bag. “Go to your next class now. Mr. Jung will not appreciate an`other tardiness from yours.” He reasoned out, hoping the younger could leave him and go to his next class.

Throwing his last worried look at Minseok, Jongdae turned his heel and walked after promising to visit him in order to take care of him. Minseok just smiled at him, ignoring the pain shooting his head. With Jongdae out of sight, he brought a hand on his head and massaged his temples to ease the pain.

Walking was never this difficult when he take shuffle steps along the hallway. His vision was becoming blurry and the hush voices of the people around him were hurting his ears. Breathing was becoming a difficult task for him. It was like he was moving underwater with no air.

Black spots are starting to appear on his blurry vision, making it hard for him to see and move. His consciousness is slowly slipping out of him as he tried to fight back the drowsiness that he was feeling.

But, the enemy was strong and his body is too weak.

Before his body could touch the ground, a man wearing a blue hoodie caught him by the shoulders and called out his name. For a moment, Minseok thought that the arms felt familiar and he heard Luhan’s voice. But, he can’t register it anymore when darkness veiled his vision.

 

He woke up to the feeling of dampness on his face and the smell of homemade soup on his surroundings. Opening an eye in order to see, he found Luhan with a sober face on his face, damping occasionally a wet towel on his face. Seeing the older male was already awake, Luhan let out a delighted squeal and help Minseok sit up.

“What are you doing here?” Minseok rudely asked as he nursed the incoming pain of his head. But, it seems like the pain was not going away.

He felt Luhan shuffling behind his back and before he can even react, Luhan laid Minseok’s head on his lap. He was about to protest back when he suddenly felt fingers dancing along his temples, pushing the pain away and replacing it with comfort.

Sighing in content and relief, Minseok let Luhan massaged his head until he fell asleep. Luhan took good care of him in that whole day, helping him to recover at the end of the night. To express his gratitude to Luhan, that night, Minseok rewarded him with a .

Afterall, that’s their deal was all about.

 

Rule Number 3: Don’t spend time with him.

He was supposed to be finishing his plate which is due for tomorrow. It was five o’clock at the afternoon and Luhan will be there at ten. So, imagine his shock and disbelief when Luhan appeared at his doorway with a grin and a CD.

“Why are you here early? Aren’t you supposed to be in Inkigayo for the rehearsal? And, what’s that for?” Minseok asked, his eyes set on the blank CD, while Luhan was taking (more like struggling) off his jacket.

“Wibaingtwutwetch” the muffled voice answered, making Minseok rolled his eyes.

He decided to help the singer to get rid of his jacket since it seems like Luhan will soon drop dead from lack of oxygen. He carefully slipped Luhan’s arms from the constriction and gently pulled the jacket from Luhan’s head.

“We’re going to watch a movie,” Luhan said with a smile as soon as the jacket was off of him. Minseok was quiet as he neatly folded the jacket and put it on the table nearest to the door. He doesn’t say anything for minutes and it was making Luhan anxious as if waiting for the judge if he was accepted on the audition or not.

As soon as he finished his job, he turned to Luhan and said, “I don’t remember agreeing watching a movie.”

“But, Minseok, I’m in the movie.” Luhan whined as he followed Minseok to the kitchen.

“Then, go watch it on your own. Or with your friends. Or your family. Not with me. I have something to do right now and it’s due for tomorrow,”

Luhan frowned at Minseok’s back after hearing it. He really wants to watch the movie with Minseok. He doesn’t know what pushes him to drive to Minseok’s house as soon as he got hold of the copy of the movie. Yixing is probably lazing in their dorm. His mother is probably dying of boredom in their house back at Beijing. But, how come he didn’t go to them?

A cold glass came in contact with his skin, snapping out of his thoughts. He glanced down and found a glass of cold green tea was being offered to him. He took the glass from Minseok’s hand and drank from it while the other male just stared at him.

“Goodness, Luhan. Breathe. There’s a pitcher of that in the refrigerator.” Minseok scolded him but Luhan just smiled charmingly at him and gave him back the empty glass. Minseok took it and washed the glass on the sink

“Let’s watc—“

“No.” Minseok cut him short. “You watch the movie while I finish my plate, okay? At ten, you can go to my bed,”

“That’s no fun.” Luhan protested. “Except for the last part.” Minseok gave him glare. “I mean, you got sick last week because of straining yourself. Why not loosen for a bit?”

“And have me failing at my drawing class?” Minseok interrupted, putting the glass on the rack. He turned to Luhan and gave him a stern look. “I’m sorry but no. I need to pass this subject—“

Luhan grabbed him softly by the arm to stop Minseok from going away from him. “You will not fail in your class. I’m telling you.”

“As much as I want to believe you, I really need to finish my work, Luhan.”

“Fine. Then, let’s have a deal. As soon as I appear in the movie, you can go back to your work and I will not bother you.”

Minseok really wants to say ‘no’ but Luhan’s determined eyes were really captivating and he knew that if he rejected the offer, the other will mope around like a sad puppy.

“Fine,” he breathed out. Luhan gave him a wide grin and a light squeeze around his wrist. He quickly arranged the television set in Minseok’s house and it amazes Minseok how the other male managed to finish setting up the device when it took him years to arrange it.

“Sit here, Minseok.” Luhan waved at the seat beside him. Minseok sat beside him while Luhan wrapped a blanket around them.

 “What movie is this?” Minseok asked, his eyes were trained on the television.

“My Girlfriend is a Spy,” Luhan answered as he offered Minseok the bowl of popcorn on his hands.

“Action?” Taking a handful of kernel from the bowl, Minseok asked.

“And Romance.”

“I hate Romance. It makes people believe that love is an easy thing.” Minseok bitterly answered with a pout. Luhan lets out a chuckle of amusement.

“Someone is bitter. I should get you chocolates so that the bitterness in your body should be replaced by sweetness.” Luhan offered, making Minseok scoffed at the answer.

“Just make sure it has nuts on it,” the shorter male responded with a smile.

Luhan lets out a laugh before teasing him. “Of course, you like nuts. You practically look like a squirrel,” Luhan as he reached out and pinched his cheeks.

Minseok angrily kicked him at his sides, sending the other to fall from the couch. Laughter erupted as another rounds of teasing was born. The movie was already halfway in the middle when they decided to focus on it, making them puzzled by the sudden turn of events.

As soon as the movie finished, they shared a dinner and went to bed. It was nine in the evening when their bodies blended with each other with the comforts of Minseok’s bed.

“I . . . can’t believe that . . . you showed up in the movie . . . for about fifteen seconds,” Minseok said between gasps as Luhan peppered his neck with kisses. Luhan chuckled against his skin.

“Atleast,” A kiss on the forehead. “I,” A kiss on the eyelids. “appeared,” A kiss on the nose. “in the,” A kiss on the cheeks. “movie.” Luhan breathed out against Minseok’s lips, his eyes never leaving the other’s orbs. They were captivating, just like the moon against the dark sky.

Luhan can feel it. The fast beating of his heart and the sudden rush of adoration for the boy in his embrace. Now, he understands why he cared for this boy. Now, he understands why he quickly drove to the boy’s house as soon as he got the disc. He understands fully well now. The lyrics of the song Yixing once wrote for their album is finally clear to him.

He tightly embraced Minseok as the latter placed his little hands on Luhan’s shoulder. Without second thoughts, Luhan brought his lips against the other. Their lips fit perfectly with each other, creating sparks on Luhan. The frustration, the need and the want were what made him to take Minseok gently with kisses.

This is wrong, he thought. He was not supposed to feel this. It was supposed to be lust, lust and lust alone.

In the morning, Minseok woke up alone on bed for the first time.

 

  

Minseok snapped out of his thoughts when the machine flicked a spring on his forehead. He doesn’t know why Luhan left early in that morning. And, he thought that he somehow offended the other male. It was just three violations yet but it’s already bothering him. Talking with Luhan was supposed to be non-existent. Their relationship should not step out of the contract deal. He should wake up every morning alone on his bed. His purpose is to satisfy his needs while Luhan’s purpose is to give him a child.

There should be no friendship attached, no concerns for each other, no gentleness during , no coffees at midnight and no smiles on their faces. Their relationship should be gray and plain, just like Minseok’s life. But, it seems like Luhan is splotching drops of color in every places, making everything bright and inviting.

And, Minseok doesn’t like it.

A notification tone from his phone was heard. He left his work for a moment to take his phone with him.

 

Don’t wait for me. I’m not coming tonight.

From: Luhan

 

Minseok tried not to feel the disappointment coursing in his veins. Afterall, they were two people bounded by a deal; a deal made by him and was not made of love. So, pushing the disappointment away, he quickly typed a reply in his phone.

 

Okay.

From: Minseok

 

Maybe, he needs a little slap from reality. Luhan is an idol while he was just a college student. Their life is different from each other. They are not born for each other. Luhan was made of talent and fame while he was made of lies and secrets. So, taking the pliers in his hand, he focused himself in his work, his goals and his sanctuary. The prototype in his discrete math class is due in Wednesday. He doesn’t have time.

Once again, he is going to close the gates of his heart that Luhan almost open.

 

 

He was lying on the bed with a cigarette around his fingers as he read the message that Minseok just sent him. Even though it’s short and incomplete, he sighed in relief that the other male replied to him.

Taking his discarded pants on the floor, he quickly wore his clothes. Luck seems always not at his side when he heard a shuffle from the bed.

“You’re going to leave early, Luhan?” the woman from last night asked.

What was her name again? Ica? Erika? Soneetha? Virgielyn? He doesn’t remember and he doesn’t care. Ignoring the girl’s question, he searched for his shirt so he can leave the filthy room as soon as possible.

“Lulu—“

“Don’t call me that.” Luhan sternly spat, his eyes turning cold and hard as he stared at the girl on the bed. He quickly took his shirt and put it on himself. Taking a huge amount of money from his wallet, he threw it on the bed before putting his glasses.

“I hope the money is enough to make your mouth shut. Don’t even think about telling me to the media.” Luhan hissed yet his eyes were cold and hard. He turned his back towards the girl and was walking to the door. “You don’t know how dangerous I am.”

He was about to open the door when bravery kicks in to the girl. “A-Are you coming back tonight?” she asked, making Luhan’s steps halt.

Gummy smiles, chubby cheeks, beautiful and pointed eyes, midnight coffees, rulers on desk and ten o’clock suddenly raided Luhan’s mind. He closed his eyes for a moment, savoring the memories he had with Minseok.

“Yes, I’ll come back tonight.”

 


Author's Note:

*whispers* Hi, guys. Okay, so I decided to make this story a four/five shot story. That's the reason why the story's flow is quite fast.

Thank you for reading and commenting in the previous chapter. I was shocked to got a number of response and also a whooping number of subscribers.

So, thank you everyone. I'll try my best to satisfy all of you with my updates. Goodbye for now.