Festivity

Chatoyancy

fes·tiv·i·ty

Activities or events celebrating a special occasion.

-----

 

October 19 (Friday)

 

Today marked the end of every student’s exams, no matter what their age was. The seniors and juniors all ended at the same time, perhaps to make it easier for all. It was something Kyung Mi found to be weird, actually, that they all ended at the same time because they still had to attend a few more weeks of school. She didn’t particularly believe that it would be too taxing for the teachers to allow the younger ones to take their respective examinations first, but whatever’s done was done, and so she allowed the following matter to rest.

 

Now, as Kyung Mi walked languorously through the kitchen, it was Han Min Jae which surprised her with an invitation.

 

“Kyung Mi!” beckoned her older sister from the living room. “Come here.” Though it was bewildering, the younger one obliged. Pattering over curiously, her sister lifted a rectangular looking card for her to glance at. It was a rather dark-coloured stiff paper with some overly bright text, in her opinion. Nevertheless, it was the words that mattered, and not the design.

 

“All… of the students are invited to…” started the eighteen year old slowly, not used to the queer colour. “A festive gathering at Jinhui Mansion.” It continued a little more about several things like it having a semi-formal dress code and the admission was free. Apparently it was hosted to encourage merry making and fun.

 

“And?” asked Kyung Mi blankly, convinced that her older sister didn’t need someone to read the invitation card for her. “Congratulations for going?” It wasn’t like she was trying to be rude, of course, but it nearly sounded impertinent. Min Jae smiled one of her rare smiles before wearing a patient yet knowledgeable expression.

 

“Look,” mentioned the nineteen year old. “I know it might not be your kind of style and all, but I think it’d be good for you to go for these kinds of social gatherings once in a while. There aren’t any remaining examinations and well, it’s held by a decent classmate of mine. So… yea.” Suddenly Kyung Mi got the gist of it. She blinked thoughtfully before clarifying her new found information.

 

“You’re inviting me?” wondered the bespectacled girl aloud. Min Jae’s nod confirmed it, but the younger sister appeared doubtful about it.

 

“Well, I’m not sure if I should go,” responded Kyung Mi in a considerably negative tone. “As you know, it’s not really my thing and I don’t think I’ll know people there aside from you— well, not like I don’t want to talk to you honestly but, well, um.” She failed to articulate her ending notions coherently. Min Jae, however, seemed earnest enough about it. Why, the older one was actually trying to persuade the younger into this.

 

“Don’t you worry,” she said. “You do know the people who are going. Plus, it’s not like you’re banned from making new friends…” At that point, Kyung Mi wasn’t certain if it was just her silly self or that might have been hinting at Gongchan Shik. Even so, she finally decided to give in if her parents agreed to it. When Mrs Han entered the living room, the inquiry was raised and approved of extremely peaceably. With a hidden squint behind tinted lens, Kyung Mi went to her bedroom to begin searching out her wardrobe for any possible combinations for the night.

 

Strangely, she did. It was a knee length dress that her mother had bought for her perhaps a year ago, and so it was still in good condition. It happened to be a more modest version of a sundress, as it had a substantial amount of sleeves. It was the colour that an evening sunset would have, except that it was painted palely onto the fabric. The spectacled girl believe it to be very good then, since she didn’t want to be standing out or something due to peculiar wear. The girl then considered between a necklace and a hairband. Both were of beautiful design, but she was certain that wearing both would overthrow the dress’ original merit. In deep contemplation, her thoughts drifted to Gongchan and most maddeningly, her fingers were already reaching for the cellphone. Kyung Mi realized what her subconsciousness intended to do. It had the purpose of calling her best friend for advice. Such a foolish move indeed!

 

So why is it that her cellphone was already held closely to her left ear?

 

“Ask your sister about this…” was what her brain reminded logically, but the soft click indicated that the call had already been answered. The eighteen year old couldn’t help but to freeze in place.

 

“Hmm?” emanated the voice from over the phone. “Kyung Mi? Is there anything you would like to speak of?” She didn’t really say anything, for truly she was stunned and embarrassed for the apparent original idea. However, perhaps time had thawed her tongue first before her brain.

 

“Gongchan Shik,” she mentioned randomly. “Suppose that I have to go somewhere, should I wear a necklace or a hairband?” Mentally, she felt like hitting a brick wall or hiding in a hole because she never felt as stupid as this before. At first, it was a low chuckle that greeted her ears before a verbal response decided to surface.

 

“This must be related to the Jinhui Mansion’s party,” he said between kind laughs. “Well, if you really want me to say something, it’s the hairband.” The words he uttered next made her heart skip a beat.

 

“Then I can say that even the stars have fallen for you.”

 

Her face immediately flushed a florid red, unsure if it was a silent implication or a general pick-up line. How glad she was that he was unable to witness her changed state, even if he only meant the light that would be reflected by the headpiece. Childishly, she actually stuttered her word of thanks whilst he continued that suave manner of his.

 

“Kyung Mi,” he mentioned quietly. “See you later.” With a click, the call was over and done with, plus she realized that he was going as well. It looks like she would seriously wear a hairband after all. A little annoyed at her flustered ways, the bespectacled girl allowed a small yell of frustration to escape her.

 

“He better stop being so charming for no good reason…” she thought plainly. “It’s bad enough that I even— “ Her trail of thoughts were disrupted by Min Jae’s entrance to her room.

 

“You’re… okay, right?” asked Min Jae immediately. “I heard you yelling.” Her older sister took in the open wardrobe, the sundress that was on the bed and the hairband in her younger sister’s hand.  Her eyes lifted to the other’s face at last.

 

“Kyung Mi… Why is your face so red?” was what Min Jae pointed out. Oh, darn it all.

 

Later, about eight at night, the Han sisters were being sent to the venue by their father. Mr Han had made a few jokes about the night as he drove, but most of all, he was advising them to be careful.

 

“Don’t stay out too late now, girls,” mentioned their father upon arrival with a nod, seemingly done to reassure himself. “Don’t be reluctant to call me if you guys can’t get any transport home. After all, it’s not often that I get to do this for my wonderful daughters.” Then he smiled a big smile, and the trio were aware of the truth behind his words. He was usually busy and away from home, so even a simple task like this was a gift from him to his daughters. After promising to come home at a decent hour, the two proceeded to step out of the car. Their father had dropped them off by the large roundabout of the mansion where a sculptured fountain was placed. The only thing they had to do was to walk in. Kyung Mi was awed by the massive structure, finding the inky bricks to be especially lovely.

 

After snapping out of her ideas of painting such a captivating place, Kyung Mi hurried after her sister who was already entering the place by the large doors. How could her sister not be stunned by this colossal appearance? Then again, perhaps she had sighted it before already. Upon entry, they were instantly greeted with the bright chandeliers and jovial company. Intricately designed banquet tables were by a considerable area, bearing a substantial variety of food and drinks. And it was true; Kyung Mi did recognize a great number of people that were present. She turned to her side in order to admit Min Jae’s prediction to be exact when her older sister was already whisked off by other company. It must have been her classmates. Nonetheless, Min Jae gave her younger sister an encouraging smile — yes, another rare one — and disappeared into the throng of people. Not too sure as to what she wanted to do, she wandered hesitantly towards the elaborate banquet tables to see what they provided.

 

They had an array of dishes, but the eighteen year old had already eaten dinner at home, and so they didn’t appeal. It was then she spotted a classmate of hers eating a pleasurable cake, and asked if there were any more. Unfortunately, it was a no but Kyung Mi’s classmate was certain that they would be a second round.

 

“Erm, can you please inform me when they bring in the second round?” requested the spectacled girl. “I might not be aware when that kind of thing happens so…” The ponytailed girl smiled and agreed, continuing her cake as she walked on. Han Kyung Mi began randomly walking around the room after taking a glass of a non-alcoholic drink and surprisingly spotted a certain someone. It was Oh Sehun by the wall most inconspicuously with a fruit punch in his hand. The dark shirted boy raised his drink in acknowledgement to her and she was about to do so as well, thinking that he was seriously not a shy person like she had initially concluded when her bag began to vibrate. Blinking, Kyung Mi took out the cellphone expertly and opened the text message. It was from Gongchan Shik, and it was precisely then that her insouciant classmate was forgotten once again.

 

“Walk up fifteen steps by the side stairway and then turn left,” it read. “Continue walking forward until necessary.” It ended rather abruptly, in her opinion, but she shrugged it off. Returning the cellphone into her bag, the spectacled girl made her way upstairs with the drink in right hand and followed the aforementioned instructions obediently. It led to a spacious balcony that seemed horribly deserted. Taking a tentative step forward onto the balcony, the girl in the modest sundress gulped in uncertainty. Surely he wasn’t going to—

 

“Hello,” greeted Gongchan who had appeared all of a sudden, causing the eighteen year old girl to yelp accidentally. Her face masked her vexed feeling immediately.

 

“Y-You scared me!” protested Kyung Mi, and her best friend only wore an apologetic face as he gave a faraway look to the side. That made her feel more affronted than ever, but the direction he decided to look was the view of the front area; the location where the marble fountain was.

 

“… Were you watching for me?” asked Kyung Mi softly. If it turned out to be his motive by being out here all alone, it was adorable to her. Something she’d definitely remember. The eighteen year old observed him closely for the imminent response.

 

“Maybe,” he said in a non-convincing tone, but the smile that crept onto his countenance obviously gave him away. It made her laugh.

 

“Come on, you didn’t need to be evasive about it!” almost giggled Kyung Mi out of glee. She intended to give him a punch on the shoulder like she often did, but then he mildly disapproved of it.

 

“Now, now, don’t accuse me of shying away,” he mentioned seriously albeit his crinkled eyes. “Besides, I think I’ll prefer it if you finished your drink first before walloping me.” Quietly, she complied as she stared at him periodically. The taste of the drink was diluting as she focused more on her best friend.

 

He was wearing a white collared shirt that was accompanied with a seemingly navy blue tie. Kyung Mi couldn’t really tell. She only knew that Gongchan was wearing black pants and shoes for sure, but the tie was questionable. As she neared the last few sips, she contemplated on asking about those petty details when he first spoke.

 

“I am right,” he murmured with a smile. “The stars really have fallen from the sky.” Most dreadfully, her face had decided to initiate a re-enactment of the scene that happened before. The spectacled girl could feel the heat rushing up to her cheeks even though it was a cooling night. If he asked about it, she was going to tell a white lie and reason that it was the non-existent alcohol. Absolutely. Luckily, he remained unaware and her mind began thinking hard. Was it just a compliment that related to the starless night, or was there something more? Would it be just too impossible to think that maybe, just maybe, they might have more in common that they already do? His smile was too nerve-wrecking, honestly. The white mansion curtains billowed when a slight breeze picked up.

 

“Gongchan Shik…” she began finally, lifting her gaze completely from the drink to him. “Could it be that…?” With those words, he was already inclining towards her to prove his want to know her thoughts. The male watched, and so did she, and when she was to continue once more, a new interference ruined it all. They both turned to their interruption, which turned out to be Kyung Mi’s ponytailed classmate.

 

“Ah, Kyung Mi,” she mentioned easily, unaware of the intensity that was brewing earlier. “They refilled the cakes again, so it’s best that you see to them.” With a hop in her step, her classmate left as freely as she came. The bespectacled girl, of course, was disappointed at her incipient query of such trivial things.

 

“Looks like you really wanted those,” mentioned Gongchan kindly. “Go on, I won’t feel ditched.” Her face threatened to express her disappointment. Not only her chance to discover was ruined, but it sounded like he wasn’t going to accompany her after all. Even so, before her best friend could notice that something was amiss, she did go. And there were no footsteps that came after.

 

After she had consumed a cake or two — which were really delicious, by the way — the eighteen year old intended to return to where she stopped. Kyung Mi wanted to know a lot of things by now, she really did. She was tired of wondering incessantly when she could just ask. She only needed to be prepared, but whether she was or not, she was going to do something about it tonight. She must, she will. However, as the tinted spectacled girl turned to journey to the stairway, she saw familiarity just ten steps away from her. It was the handsome Gongchan Shik, talking with people. With people that had her older sister involved as well. At first it looked like they were a bunch conversing with each other, but then it almost seemed like only the specific two were saying something. Something powerful enough that was able to cause both their serious faces to break out into immense laughter. And then she had enough. Placing the plate aside, Kyung Mi took in a deep breath and ran out of the great mansion.

 

As her feet continued pounding onto the ground, Kyung Mi felt utterly cowardly once more. She was eighteen, an age where one was supposed to be capable enough to face unwanted things and yet she couldn’t. How she wished the better part of her would stop running and finally confront Gongchan properly. After all, she nearly succeeded the first time, right? Nonetheless, the girl in the sundress continued until she reached a certain end of the premise that had a large roof over her head. It was pretty much an area that seemed to be very out of place. Tired out from covering such distance, she placed a hand on the brick wall before panting heavily. Seconds later, her ears caught the light crunching of the soil which indicated a human’s nearing presence.

 

“Kyung Mi,” breathed a voice painstakingly. Blinking hard, she looked at the person to realize that it was Oh Sehun that ran after her. Her eyes expressed enough shock at his actions. Then he came nearer to rest a hand on the brick wall too. It would be perfectly hilarious if he didn’t say his next words.

 

“Are you alright?” he asked. There was the question in which he once used roughly a month before, and she hadn’t been. Her face lost its colour as she heard it being repeated again tonight.

 

He couldn’t have been more accurate than tonight. She was absolutely yards from being alright and no amount of trying was going to reach it effortlessly. Although a small part of her wanted to ask if he was the well one here, but she couldn’t. His simple words had already swept her to the scene she witnessed earlier. Him with her older sister tonight, laughing ever so freely that it hurt. Gongchan looked like he was becoming her older sister’s best friend and Kyung Mi really didn’t like it. Why, it almost looked like something more might be bubbling underneath those smiles they wore. She really wasn’t fine with it at all. Suddenly the male’s hand that was on the brick wall released its hold and began stretching itself towards the girl.

 

“Kyung Mi, your hairband’s falling— “ said Sehun with a plethora of concern when she recoiled from him, as if he had laid a hand on her violently. The stoic classmate’s eyes dilated when he felt the flinch projecting from her own being. He then apologized for his strange behaviour but she wasn’t listening. Her mind could only see one thing.

 

Han Min Jae was wearing a jade hairband to accompany her minty green short-to-long dress.

 

Han Kyung Mi’s face crumpled. Before she knew it, she was already pouring her heart out to Sehun underneath that roof.

 

“My sister,” was one of the many laments. “I wish my older sister would be hateful, but the worst thing is that she isn’t. She’s witty, she’s pretty, she’s lovable, and even if she isn’t exactly the closest to me, but she can be nice. And now I’m afraid that without it being her fault, I’m going to lose my best friend— “ It was then Sehun interrupted her.

 

“You can’t just assume that,” he injected strongly with stone eyes. Kyung Mi’s sad eyes met his abrupt cold ones.

 

“They’re both in the same year, and they know each other,” she continued dolefully. “How can it not be?” His eyes narrowed at the bespectacled girl, whose hairband was still unnervingly on the brink of falling off.

 

“You cannot simply assume, Kyung Mi,” with a tone of warning to his voice. The eighteen year old sighed, knowing that crying out to some stoic male like Sehun wasn’t the best, but she had no choice or else she’d die with the feelings within.

 

Her voice came out in a coarse whisper, and that truly worried the male at last.

 

“How could I not?” she uttered, and it was then tears were beginning to slide. “How can I not when I am aware with every single moment in the library he spends to study is the time he spends with her? I’ve bought pens for my older sister before and there they were, on his workbooks and even worse, they get a room by themselves. I think that’s enough for me to imagine. And I’ve been stupider, thinking and thinking that maybe what I’ve seen is alright, and that tonight things might change.” This time, the male approached her side with more caution. Her tears were flowing down her cheeks, and the last thing he wanted to do was to offend.

 

“And surely I’ve seen enough to see that I’m no match to be by Gongchan’s side,” she finally yelled in definite depression. “Not when my older sister is greater, is smarter, is kinder, and everything. But he means too much and I can’t treat him badly because he’s been doing a lot for me. He’s always been…” The words were lost due to her mumbling, and in doing so she had not seen the spark that lit the other’s eyes.

 

“I beg to disagree,” he flatly proclaimed suddenly as he gently placed a chaste arm on her small shoulder.

 

Kyung Mi still had the will to roll her eyes at him in spite of her melancholic state.

 

“You can’t be serious now,” she replied just as monotonously. “You were the one who said not to assume about people, and now you’re going to assume that I can be smarter or something?” Nevertheless, he really had something to say. Like a secret only meant to be shared between trusted beings, it was something he had executed by whispering in her ear.

 

“I know that you’re kinder because you’ve been buying can drinks for me,” was what Sehun quietly confessed. “I believe that counts.” Finally, instead of crying, her eyes widened at him, forgetting their sudden proximity. All that time when he was sipping the different flavoured can drinks in the back of the classroom — he really, really knew? A subtle nod was given to her.

 

“I’ve known,” he whispered. “That you are just too kind. Kind enough to get hurt like a doormat.” A smile formed on his face.

 

“Maybe you’re going to keep comparing with your older sister, but I think it’d be great if you knew this,” he continued. “To me, you’re the brilliant one.”

 

Then he released his vague hold on her, stepping a step or two back in order to allow that kind of information sink in. And it worked. Han Kyung Mi smiled in great appreciation and respect, but it crumpled once more when she remembered something.

 

“Thank you for telling me, Sehun,” uttered the eighteen year old, but the tears were beginning to well up again behind her lens. “Do you want to know a secret?” Then she smiled a very, very sad smile before lowering her head in defeat.

 

“I fell in love with my best friend Gongchan Shik,” she cried out in anguish. The hairband fell, Sehun caught it, and in the mess of tears and wet shirt sleeves, everything fell into a distant blur.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Ah, this chapter is insanely lengthy, but I believe it's one of my favourites for this particular story.

I hope the reader didn't see /that/ coming, heh.

I just want to mention my appreciation to the people who is reading this! Though I name you not, certainly you know yourselves, and so. ^-^