Chapter 3

Damsel Causing Distress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

News about the transferee spread like wild fire so that by the end of the week, only two topics circulated in campus. The first one was the fact that the girl appealed to most guys despite her eccentricity; they argued she was just new to the atmosphere and had not quite settled herself just yet. Girls, on the other hand – and I firmly agreed on this – found her plainly weird.

The second topic was more pressing. While it was to her advantage that the Sophomores now hailed her a genius for landing the highest marks in Trigonometry and Biology, it was a hard blow on my part, especially after she told me earlier in class that she only answered half the questions in English, Economics, History and Arts to get passing marks and ensure her entrance. Math and Science were apparently her favorite subjects and, much to my annoyance, she nearly perfected them. To think she had missed two whole quarters' worth of lessons.

Baekhyun and Jongdae were already plotting ways to ask her out. What the hell. Who on earth would want to date a lunatic?

"How's she for a seatmate, Luhan?"

"Huh?" We were ascending two flights of stairs for the ground floors.

Jongdae rolled his eyes at me. "She looked like a really talkative person. What does she tell you?"

"Not much worthy of my attention really. She's annoying. I hope she would just shut up. Honestly," I paused by the lobby. I was scheduled for patrol tonight, which meant spending the next few hours checking classrooms, lobbies, and locker areas for lurking students. "Why'd she have to transfer here anyway –"

"You're just annoyed she beat you in Trig and Biology," Yixing sneered.

Baekhyun and Jongdae whistled in agreement.

"See if I care. If it weren't luck, I'm sure it's got something to do with her weird –"

Sojin was right infront of me when I turned for the Prefects Office. Behind me erupted a collective gasp of horror.

This couldn't be happening.

The girl with the tousled hair, with the pale and slim features, her dimples gone and her hands behind her back, was boring her eyes straight through my skull.

"Weird what?" She grinned, now showing her dimples.

Silence lingered. Heck, this wasn't happening. What would she think of me now? Being mean to somebody behind her back was one thing. Being mean to someone when she was supposedly listening was another matter entirely.

Someone coughed from behind. "See ya tomorrow, dude." Jongdae.

"Yeah, see ya." Baekhyun.

"Good luck." Tao.

A chuckle. Yixing.

"Er..." I gulped.

"Can I come with you?"

"What?"

She smiled wider – if that was even possible. "Jimin says you're patrolling the campus 'til later tonight at nine. Can I come with you?"

"Jimin?"

Her smile vanished and she frowned; the expression was actually serious. "You don't even know your fellow Prefects? Park Jimin. Freshman. Second class –"

"I know, I know," I said, scurrying away to escape both embarrassment and agitation. I hadn't even managed three steps when I found her catching up beside me.

"Thank you, Luhan."

One hour later and Sojin was still very patiently waiting outside the Prefects Office. As if it wasn't weird enough that she's swaying infront of the bulletin board, she kept throwing glances inside the office at me as well. Luckily, there wasn't anybody else left or I wouldn't know how to explain her unwanted, uninvited presence.

It was nearing six. There was barely any pupil left. But Sojin remained fervent in her waiting.

"It's getting late, you know," I called out to her as I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter