Chapter seven

Do you like someone?

Okay, I lied, last part will be the next one. It just got too long and I had to divide it in two ^^" I still need to read it all again, but everything should be in order! I'll check it (and all the other chapters) throughly tomorrow, probably, but I think there isn't any big mistakes. I hope I don't disappoint anyone! Thank you for reading!

 


 

                Dongwoo was rather surprised to bump into Hyunjun on his way to Jinyoung's classroom. The tall guy handed him Jinyoung's coat — which the latter forgot at practice when he stayed behind because Hyunjun tried to talk about something Jinyoung was too tired to pay attention —, fed up with not finding the redhead anywhere he went before scoffing and walking away. Cnu shrugged and walked back to his room, thinking of how much time it'd take for Jinyoung to get back.

                He did a bit of his homework, but he kept dazing off so he decided it was better to distract a bit before actually doing it. He got his book out of his bag and let himself fall on his bed. He was halfway through a chapter when he briefly reminded himself to tell Jinyoung about the retrieved coat. At this exact moment, the door opened.

                Dongwoo, in the middle of thinking about the book's plot and red coat, raised his head with a vague look. Immediately his eyes widened and he put the book away, taking in Jinyoung's quivering lower lip and puffy red eyes.

                "Jinyoung, what…" No, not 'what happened'. "Are you okay?"

                Dongwoo helped the redhead sitting down on the nearest bed. He decided to break the silence.

                "Hey, what happened?"

                Jinyoung looked like he was trying to form an answer, but ended blurting out a "I don't know!" and hugged him. The next ten minutes were spent with Jinyoung telling him what happened, and Dongwoo would have said something to calm him down if someone didn't knock on the door.

                "Just a moment", he said, gently prying Jinyoung's arms off him and getting up.

                He opened the door. Sandeul and Gongchan were there, about to happily exclaim together "Dinner time!", like they usually did, when they noticed Dongwoo's distressed expression and their smiles were replaced with frowns.

                "What happened?", Gongchan carefully asked while Sandeul looked over Dongwoo's shoulder and into the room.

                Sandeul gasped when a shaking and sobbing Jinyoung appeared in his sight.

                "What happened with Jinyoung hyung?", he asked, Gongchan's gasp mixing with his voice. "Oh, my God, did someone hit him? Is that why he's not looking up? He's hiding a black eye, isn't he?"

                "Just wait a second", Dongwoo whispered to them and softly closed the door.

                A minute later the door opened again and Dongwoo got out, Gongchan and Sandeul could clearly see their friend looked very worried. When they got an enough of a distance from the room, Sandeul spoke up:

                "Okay, who the hit him?"

                Dongwoo sighed.

                "No one hit him. Not physically, at least."

                Gongchan widened his eyes.

                "But…", he stuttered, surprised. "But what did they tell him? I've never seen Jinyoung hyung like that. Must have been horrible!"

                Dongwoo looked at them, hesitant, lightly biting his lower lip, and said:

                "Let's go to a less silent place. It's less likely for people hear us if there's more noise around."

                So either way the three of them ended up going to the refectory. Curiously, Baro wasn't anywhere in sight — however at that moment that was a big blessing in Dongwoo's eyes. They sat at a round table after getting trays of food.

                "Now speak", said Sandeul, stuffing a handful of french fries in his mouth.

                And Dongwoo did. As he talked, the reactions were drawn from the other two. Even with their mouths full of food or busy gulping the soda, they kept exclaiming and narrowing their eyes or widening them, and occasionally shaking their heads in disapproval.

                To be honest, it wasn't a case they would usually care that much about if it were anyone else, but they were people close to them. It mattered in a way non-friends normally never understand.

                Then Dongwoo got to the point that made Jinyoung cry. After he finished, Sandeul stayed still for exactly eight seconds before munching down the last bit of meat and stood up, wiping his hands on the napkin. Dongwoo and Gongchan watched as Sandeul walked out the refectory and then looked at each other for a moment.

                Then it clicked where the duck boy was going.

                They hurriedly jumped up and ran after Sandeul.

 

-------------

 

                Baro knew he was being a brat about it; a real rude and heartless brat. He knew it, but it's not like he could control his level of jealousy. 'What did Jinyoung even see in him? Seriously…', he thought grumpily as he kicked a can on the floor. 'That Hyunjun guy is a ert. Does Jinyoung like erts? …Nah, he was probably tricked into thinking he's a saint.'

                The thought kept repeating itself in his head, just stopping when an angry shout of YOU ING IDIOT! reached his ears. He turned around and saw a storming Sandeul running in his direction. He was used to it, honestly, but what he didn't expect was to see Dongwoo and Gongchan hurriedly following the duck boy.

                "You… you stupid, brick-headed bastard!", was the first thing Sandeul panted when he got near Baro.

                Sandeul's anger was like a woman's: you don't wanna be on the receiving end of it when it happens. Baro stepped back when Sandeul shoved an accusatory finger to his forehead.

                They all listened to Sandeul yelling for some minutes, while he attempted to punch Baro in the arm several times — to which the blonde clumsily dodged. Then his lungs finally got tired and he calmed down a bit, breathing in deep, and asked in a serious tone:

                "Is it truth?"

                "What is truth?" Baro was confused.

                "Just this time, Baro." Suddenly Sandeul was talking slow and he sounded tired. "Just this time, stop pretending to be a complete jerk and answer me: is it truth? Did you really say that to Jinyoung hyung?"

                Oh.

                "Oh, that", muttered Baro, feeling his stomach flipping unpleasantly.

                "Yes, that." He waited for some moments. "So? Is it?"

                One more moment of silence.

                "Maybe?"

                Sandeul was fast this time, reaching and slapping hard Baro's back of the head.

                "Ow!", exclaimed Baro.

                "He's been liking you for little more than a year, you bastard!", Sandeul was suddenly almost hysterical, speaking so fast they were sure he was gonna choke. "A year! We've been enduring him far longer than we've been enduring you, you know. You both are two big idiots who deserve to be punched in the guts, because, seriously, you two have been running after each other for so long and still haven't noticed it's reciprocated? But how?! And even after us three told you several times? HOW?!"

                "Hyung…", Gongchan tried to call but no one heard him over Sandeul's nonstop babbling.

                "… and what's more, this year's Valentine's Day. You don't understand how awkward it was for us to be in the same table as you two, because you two kept flirting all the time! You really thought no one was looking? Seriously? And Jinyoung made chocolates to give to you but chickened out in the end and me and Cnu hyung had to eat the whole box, not that it was a bad thing, but still."

                Sandeul ignored Gongchan's outraged shout of 'You two ate chocolate?!' and took a deep breath before starting again, but this time Baro cut him short:

                "Wait, he made chocolates for me?"

                "Yeah, to who did you think they were?", Dongwoo asked curiously, not paying mind to Sandeul's another attempt to resume his monologue.

                "He said it was a secret, so since I never see him with anyone but us and that vice-captain, and none of you mentioned anything, I supposed it was for that Hyunjun."

                Sandeul stared at him, his mouth hanging a little.

                "You're joking right?", he said. "You must be joking… You ing caterpillar."

                "What? Caterpillar?", asked Baro agape while Gongchan and Dongwoo burst in laugh. "Where did that come from?"

                But somehow Baro didn't give a damn about that new nickname. His friends' expressions were enough to light a sting of hope in his chest.

                "But how did you still manage to maintain this idea in your head even after you watched that video I told you about?"

                "What does him taking a bath have anything to do with it?" Baro was genuinely confused.

                Sandeul's and Gongchan's bewildered frowns were replaced by a I-don't-believe-it look, while Dongwoo sighed heavily in exasperation.

                "You didn't watch the video, did you?", asked Dongwoo.

                "Of course not", Baro replied as if it was obvious.

                "Of course…!", Sandeul started to yell again but Gongchan interrupted him:

                "You know how Jinyoung hyung has that habit to record random videos of himself out of nowhere, right?" Puzzled, Baro nodded. "So, we didn't tell you to watch it to give you a , ya know. By the way, in the video Jinyoung barely shows more than his shoulders and you've already seen them lots of times. Anyway, the thing is what we really wanted you to do was listen to what he said in the video."

                Without leaving room to any questions, Gongchan, not even trying to be subtle, swiftly sneaked Sandeul's phone out of the boy's pocket ("You little thief! Give me that back!") and quickly found what he wanted to find. He continued:

                "Since I kinda thought there was a possibility of you not watching it whole, or not watching it at all, I gave myself permission to transfer a copy of the file to Sandeul hyung's phone. Here, take it." He handed the device despite Sandeul's whiny protests. "Better than us telling you is you watching it yourself. Oh, and this video is last year's, just so you won't be too lost."

                Baro wrote another mental note: remember not to get on Gongchan's bad side either.

                And pressed 'play', putting the earphones on. The video started.

                Screen's Jinyoung was holding the camera (the phone, actually) with his left hand, putting some hair locks in place with the other. When he was done, he looked to the camera for some seconds, then started giggling.

                "Well, this is surely awkward", he laughed quietly. "I don't even know why I'm doing this now, but I am. Probably because no one will hear me from here."

                He rested his back on the tub.

                "Today I had a class about why must people complain about everything", he said. "Actually it was just my math teacher fed up with us and the world, making a speech about how he hates teenagers, and it didn't make sense at all. But that's not really what I wanted to talk about." His voice lowered to a whisper: "I've been liking Baro for four months now." Another embarrassed giggle. "Very recently I realized that I like him a lot more than I first thought, but I've got a slight problem. And my problem is, he's gotten himself a date."

                Baro watched as Jinyoung's smile slowly dropped.

                "And his date is a pretty girl from his class, which means I've got no chance whatsoever. I mean, she's nice and cute and all, but I still don't like her." He pouted. "They went to the park today. Yes, I might have followed them a little, but I swear it was just out of curiosity. She knows what flavor of ice cream he likes, by the way. I think it does mean something, huh? Maybe they were friends before and I just didn't know about it. Well, of course, why would Baro keep telling me every single detail of his life?"

                At that moment Baro wanted nothing more than to hug the sad boy on the screen. It was weird to see that, to be honest — normally Jinyoung didn't pay much mind to these kind of things. Or maybe he just pretended not to care.

                Yes, Baro did go out with a girl the previous year. And yes, she was cute. And no, they weren't friends and still aren't. But he never liked her, and it's not like he was using her for anything.

                She literally just approached him one day during break, handed him a paper with her phone number and asked him out. Just like that, out of nowhere. Gongchan and Jinyoung were with him at that time too. And since she must have gathered a whole lot of courage to go speak to him (in front of his friends, nonetheless), he would feel like a jerk if he said 'no'.

                So he found himself saying 'yes' and regretting his actions as soon as it escaped his mouth; maybe mostly because his positive answer convinced the girl that was enough proof he loved her with all his heart. Even if he didn't like Jinyoung that way at that time (aka wasn't aware of his crush for Jinyoung), he still felt terribly bad for deceiving — for lack of a better word — the girl like that.

                And like screen's Jinyoung said, she knew his favorite flavor of ice cream indeed, but that was it. She didn't know and didn't care about anything else about him. They only lasted two or three dates. On all of them Baro wanted to run away, because it was just so annoying.

                She couldn't shut up about herself for a second. She talked about things he didn't give a damn about, went to the places she wanted to go, ordered the food without even asking him what he wanted and made him pay, and purposefully 'forgot' her coat at home so she could take his when it got cold — she still hasn't returned it, by the way.

                Actually, Baro didn't have a problem with 99,9% of it. He would love to spoil the person he loved with everything he could, but he didn't love her.

                It was during the dates that Baro couldn't help but replace the girl's cheeky smiles with Jinyoung's sweet ones, her huge eyes with the familiar and much smaller foxy orbs, or her long and black hair with the short and curly locks (that were brown at that time). Not to mention that her sense of direction was great, opposing to Jinyoung's awful localization. And for some reason that made her all the less amusing in Baro's eyes.

                That was probably why he stopped the awkward and disastrous dates — it didn't feel right to go out with a person while thinking of someone else. And he knew he made the right choice when he casually told Jinyoung he wouldn't be seeing the girl anymore and the older beamed, but quickly covered it up with a cough, a pat on the shoulder and a "I'm sorry to hear that" with a small frown and a nod.

                Gongchan and Dongwoo looked at each other with a sigh — they've been sighing a lot lately, it was quite worrying. It's been two minutes since the video finished (Jinyoung got water and a bit of soap in his eyes by the end) and Baro still had his gaze glued to the screen, unmoving. Gongchan hesitantly called:

                "Huh, hyung?"

                The voice snapped Baro back to reality and he blinked twice at the automatically locked phone screen.

                "Is something the matter?", Gongchan tried again.

                Baro raised his head to his three friends, who were looking curiously and a bit worried at him. He just gave the phone back to Gongchan (Sandeul ripped it off the youngest's hand) and silently walked away.

                His head was ringing loudly with dozens of different thoughts — which consisted mostly of 'I screwed up's and 'I can't believe it's, two or three variations of 'Will he ever forgive me?' and a few of 'I think I'll buy him something later's. Then it all resumed to 'Should I go talk to him today? But what should I say? It's better to go tomorrow, so I have time to think.'

 

-----------

 

                The next morning, Baro was up surprisingly early. He had renovated energy flowing through his body and a determination shone in his eyes. He was so going to make things right — finally make things right —, and he was excited. He woke up his roommate just to yell for him to wake up and then be kicked out of the room ("Shut up and die you miserable bastard! It's ing seven in the morning!"). Since it was still early, he went straight to Jinyoung's room. He should still be asleep by now.

                He walked by lots of sleepy faces on his way to the other dorm, and ran up the stairs. He was going fast, so he almost fell down the steps when he crashed into someone. Luckily the other person got him on time, squealing in surprise.

                "Oh, Cnu hyung!", he said.

                Dongwoo found it weird, but not a bad weird, for Baro to be there so early and so happy too. And, relieved, he realized that all the drama would finally stop.

                "Jinyoung's about to go out", he said to the blonde. "You better hurry. And if he's already gone, go search for him on that archery thingy."

                "Right", answered Baro with a smile. "Thanks, hyung."

                And he resumed running. He quickly got to Jinyoung's room and opened the door, not bothering to knock. He was a bit disappointed to see it empty. Well, so I should hurry to where hyung told me.

                In no time he was there, breathing deeply, and walked in.