Star Crossed

A Thousand Years

Chapter 9: Star Crossed

 

 

 

*Beep!*

*Beep! Beep!*

*BEEEEEEEEP!*

 

I hear my phone ring and I wake up. It’s just the alarm going off. I hear someone coming towards my door and…

“Amber. Come on out. Help me with breakfast.” I hear Victoria-unnie knock.

“Alright.” I say as I get up from bed.

My eyes adjust to the sunlight seeping through the curtains. Wisps of small particles can be seen dancing through them. The walls white with framed posters plastered unto them. A mini recording equipment placed in the far left corner with a keyboard. A guitar placed alongside a drum set. CD’s stacked beside a huge entertainment system. A cabinet adorned with framed certificates, trophies and awards. A room fit for a recording artist. I look at my door and there it says…

“f(x): Amber”

I didn’t expect that my life would turn out like this. It’s like my life took a 360 degree turn. Fate took its play when I accompanied my friend on her audition for SM Entertainment

 

--- Flashback ---

 

“Hey, Amber! I heard there’s an audition next week.” Min says.

 “What audition?” I ask while fixing my skateboard.

“SMTown Global Auditions. Their first leg is here in Korea of course. Can you accompany me? Please? This is the start of my lifelong dream.” She says, puppy dog eyes

“Alright, alright.” I reply.

Audition day comes and we fall in line in front of the SM Entertainment building. Wow, there sure are a lot of people. We waited and finally Min’s turn comes.

“Hey you, here’s your audition number.” A staff hands me a number card to pin onto my shirt.

“What? No. I’m not auditioning, only her.” I point to Min.

“No further questions, just go ahead.” The staff lightly shoves me in.

He didn’t seem to hear me and just lets me in with haste. Damn. What did I get myself into?

“Amber?! You’re auditioning too?!” Min says, surprised to see me in the waiting room.

“I think so. I’m not supposed to be here but a staff mistook me for a candidate and just shoved me in with this number.” I say.

“Hah. Now you’re here with me. Goodluck to you, Amber.” Min grins.

Oh well… Might as well give it my best shot.

 

--- End of flashback ---

 

And that’s how it all started. I was stuck and decided to just get on with it. I went into the audition and sang.  To my surprise… I was the only one picked out of thousands who auditioned. My mom and sister were so happy for me. Min was very happy though she didn’t get in. But my dad was a bit hesitant at first, still I continued on with my new journey. A few days later after the audition, I was asked to officially start training. I trained under SM Entertainment for two years before we debuted.

“Amber! I thought you were going to help me?” I hear Victoria-unnie knock on the door, this time louder.

I hastily get out and greet her.

“I’m so sorry, unnie. I was still fighting away sleep.” I apologize with a dorky smile.

She just gives me a ‘what am I going to do with you?’ smile. We go down to the kitchen and we pass by the other two members of our group, Luna and Sulli still with their faces glued to the dining table. I chuckle at their cuteness. I ready our breakfast while Vic-unnie went out to wake our members from their slumber party at the dining table. I take out the food and the table is all set, both Luna and Sulli are already wide awake.

“Hyung’s food! Yeah!” Sulli cheers.

We all eat and start our day. We have various activities scheduled today. Our recent comeback just launched and we’re in demand at music shows. We also have interviews to attend to. We’re all set and ready to go. We board the van early in the morning and travel silence. I look at the other members, Luna is once again asleep while Vic-unnie and Sulli are playing a game. I plug in my earphones and look out the window.

”It’s just another story, I fell in love with a foreigner.” The song says.

There is never a time that I didn’t think of her, of where she is and what she’s doing right now. Is she okay? Does she remember me? My promise? It’s been years since I saw her but to my relief I never forgot her face. Her beautiful face. For all I know, she’s miles away from me and with another. Just like what the song said, I fell in love with a foreigner. A Beautiful Stranger.

 

-----------------------------

 

Sweat rolling down my face as we finish our rehearsals, I help out my members by going around and giving them towels and water. We wrap up and thank the staff, then there we go. We head out to another scheduled interview as if we didn’t do intense rehearsals prior. We freshen up inside the van as we travel to our next destination, a radio talk show. We arrive in front of a huge building with a satellite disk on top of it. We are greeted by a staff member and ushers us into the studio. There we meet the hosts, Mr. Pyon and Mr. Kang while they’re on air and we immediately begin our interview. It’s that fast paced.

“Hey so we’re here with one of the hottest K-POP groups around. Let’s all welcome f(x)!” The hosts introduce us with some clapping sound effects.

“Hello everyone!” Vic-unnie greets.

“So… Your album, ‘Red Light’ just came out a few days back and it’s already topping the charts. Wow. Congratulations!” Mr. Kang says.

“Thank you. Yes, our album just came out and we would like to thank all of our fans for supporting us all the way.” Vic-unnie says.

The interview continues on and we reach the point of the random question and answer portion.

“So guys, do you have anyone special supporting you in the comeback? You know?” Mr. Pyon winks at us.

Luna laughs and shakes her head. “Unfortunately none. I’m forever alone.” She says, faking a tear.

“Nope. Don’t have one.” Sulli denies.

“I wish.” Vic-unnie laughs.

“How about you, Amber?” Mr. Pyon asks.

I instantly remember her. I wonder if she heard about me. Our music reaches as far as LA right? So she must know... I hope…

“Hahahaha. I don’t know.” I vaguely reply, know knowing the answer myself.

“Oh really?” Mr. Kang grins.

“Yeah.” I reply.

The other members are giving me weird looks. I guess I have to explain something to them soon. The interview ends and it’s the last schedule for the day. We are now free to go where we want to even though it’s near 6 pm already.

“What are our plans this evening?” Luna asks as we go out of the building and into the van.

“I want to rest and eat Vic-unnie’s cooking.” Sulli says while clinging on to Vic-unnie.

We agree to settle at the dorm and call it a day. I mean we did have so many activities today that even I got drained. Then again on the trip home, I look outside while listening to my iPod. A few blocks away from our dorm, something catches my eye near the hospital. There’s a lone girl sitting under a tree. Something seems familiar and drawing about her. Not this again, Amber. You’re thinking of her way too much for your own good. We finally arrive at our dorm and as soon as we entered we collapse to the couches.

“Tosaaaa.” I say while rubbing my face against the fluffy cotton.

“Hyung, stop rubbing your face against the couch. We rubbed our butts there earlier this morning.” Sulli laughs.

“Hyaaaa!” I immediately wipe my face and they all start laughing.

For nearly five years, these girls have been with me and became my family here in Korea since my family finally decided to settle down in the U.S while I was still a trainee. See? Fate really is playful.

“Oh yeah, Amber-unnie. What’s that response of yours in the radio show about?” Luna asks out of the blue.

“Yeah I wonder what is it that hyung’s hiding.” Sulli says with a mischievous look.

“Might as well tell you guys since you won’t stop bugging me until I spill it out.” I say.

They all nod.

“Okay here it goes. Years back when I was still fifteen, we lived here in Korea and we decided to go on vacation at my aunt’s place in LA. We were to stay there for three weeks. On the first day, I met a girl. I passed by her on my way to the beach. At first I didn’t see her face but then while I was sitting down at the beach I felt someone behind me and to my surprise it was her.”

“Amber?”

I remember her voice. Her sweet voice that called only to me. As I’m telling them my story, the short memory I had with her comes flowing out.

“She even knows my name. I don’t know how but she just did… After that I met her two more times. The last time I saw her was when she was going away. I don’t know where and I don’t even have a clue.”

I remember that one rainy day where I promised that I would find her. I remember her tear stained face when she was mutely calling out to me in their car. I remember how I ran until my legs hurt. I remember how I sat in the middle of the rain, crying out for the love I once lost. I never even had the chance to tell her that I love her. Before I realized it… It was already too late.

“So yeah. That’s the story.” I conclude.

“Hmm… So you’re wondering if she knows about you that’s why you said you didn’t know.” Vic-unnie says.

“Correct.” I reply.

“Whoa. What a love story, hyung.” Sulli says.

“I don’t think that’s a love story. They weren’t together.” Luna says.

“Let’s just leave it at that. I’ll just go out to skate and get some fresh air.” I say, standing up and getting my board from the corner.

“You take care, Amber” Vic-unnie calls out as I’m going out.

“I will!” I reply from a distance.

The cold evening wind caressing my face as I roll down the sidewalk, doing tricks in the process. Yeah I’m a bit of a show off but there’s no one to show off to anyway. The streets are nearly empty. I make my way through the shops, doing some shopping for trinkets I don’t need and small gifts for my other members. I decided to go back to the dorm after noticing that I have a bag full of stuff. I roll back to the sidewalk going to our dorm. I decide to make one kickflip over the fallen branch ahead. The branch nears and I try to kickflip over it but…

“Ow!” I shout as I land wrong into the pavement.

The board landed wrong and so did my foot. So yeah… Great going, Amber. Now you’re wincing in pain. I look at my left ankle and it’s starting to swell. I’m not sure if something’s broken or it’s just a sprain. Yeah… Supid. Gaaaaah. I try to get myself back up and sit at the nearest bench. Drenched in cold sweat and in pain, I take out my phone and call Vic-unnie.

“Hello?” Vic-unnie answers.

“Uh… Hi, unnie… Um…” I hesitantly say.

“It’s already getting late, Amber. Hurry home.” She says in a motherly tone.

“Yeah about that… I think I broke my ankle.” I say, tryking to poke my now swollen ankle.

“You what?!” She shouts over the phone, nearly shattering my eardrums.

I hear her say something to the others and now I hear them bickering.

“Okay, where are you now?” She asks, now a bit calm.

“I’m here a few blocks away from our dorm. You know that big tree with a bench near the sidewalk? Yeah I’m here writhing in pain. Haha.” I joke at the end.

“Now’s not the time to be a dork, Amber.” Vic-unnie says.

“Right… Sorry sorry.” I apologize.

“Stay put and wait for us. Okay?” She says before hanging up.

I’m here at the sidewalk bench waiting for help because of my stupidity. Okay now my ankle’s swollen. I think it broke. Not again, I went into hiatus for six months because of the same injury. Our manager’s going to scold me for sure. I ruffle my head in frustration. Then I hear a car stop in front of me and there comes out Sulli.

“Come on, Hyung. Let me help you.” She says.

“Hey, I got something for you.” I say, smiling while giving to her the Rikkuma stuffed toy I bought especially for her.

Sulli looks at the stuffed toy and tears up.

“Why are you crying, Ssul? I’m not dying, just injured.” I say, shocked.

“Hyuuuung.” She says, hugging me. Ahh, she’s easily moved. I pat her head.

“Okay now, come on. Help me up.” I say while slinging my arm unto her shoulder.

She gently helps me into the car where Luna and Vic-unnie looking all worried. Sulli’s hugging her Rikkuma, silently crying. This big baby, I’m not dying. Aish.  We arrive in front of the hospital we passed by earlier. Sulli and Luna helps me out while Vic-unnie goes into the emergency room for assistance. A guy with a wheelchair arrives and takes me in. They let me sit on a bed to wait and gives me an ice pack to put against my ankle. Vic-unnie lectures me about my recklessness while waiting for the doctor. After a while the doctor arrives and examines my ankle and performs an x-ray. After a while the results comes out and the doctor calls us in.

“Alright, Amber. It seems that it’s not that bad but it isn’t good either. Concerning your line of work, this injury will be a problem.” He says, taking out my x-ray scans.

He holds it up against a light board in his office.

“It isn’t sprained but not badly broken. You see here, there’s a huge crack. That’s what’s causing the swell. It could take a month to three months to heal. You’re lucky that it’s just that because if you’re ankle’s injury is much worse it could take up a year. So you’re going to be admitted here for a few days so we could patch your ankle up and take some observations. After a few days, if your ankle is not showing signs of infection, we are going to let you out but with visits for therapy. For the meantime, your activities must remain on hiatus for the full and speedy recovery of your ankle. Is that clear?” He explains to us, heading back to his desk.

“Yes.” I confirm.

“I have to call our manager.” Vic-unnie says, taking out her phone and excusing herself.

My foot is now swelling so I’m taken into a room to get a cast. Cool! I want a red one. After a moment, my left ankle has now an armor. I feel like Iron Man. I’m wheeled out and see Luna and Sulli waiting for me.

“Where’s Vic-unnie?” I ask.

“At the admittance desk, doing some paperwork.” Luna replies.

I feel bad. I gave them all this trouble just because of my stupidity. It’s already dead into the night and they’re still awake because of me. They should be asleep and well rested right now instead of being here in the hospital. Vic-unnie arrives and I’m wheeled into my room. I’m at room… 707. Up a bit high, I bet the view’s great. We board the elevator up to the 7th floor. As we’re walking along the hallway to my room, I look at the names on the doors.

Room 705: Jung Soo Jung

My heart stops.

What?

Isn’t that…?

“Okay, we’re here.” I hear Vic- unnie say.

I find myself inside a room draped in white. Typical for a hospital setting. They help me on to the bed at the center of the room. Good thing I don’t have an IV line. Those things creep me out.

“I’m going back to the dorm to get you some clothes okay?” Vic-unnie says in a weary tone.

I look at them and see that they’re all tired. We have schedules tomorrow. Even if I’m out, they still have to go on without me. Meaning to they need to be early up tomorrow. Guilt wells up in me and I begin to hate myself. Again.

“I’m sorry.” I say to the three of them.

“What are you saying sorry for?” Luna asks me with confused eyes.

“You three should be in bed for your hard earned rest right now but instead you’re here up in the middle of the night, tired because of something I did out of stupidity.” I say with my head down, holding my tears in and my voice cracking.

I feel someone hug me, I look up and it’s Sulli. She was silent all this time.

“Don’t feel sorry, Hyung. Even if we’re crawling, we will still come and get you. Because we are family. f(x) is family and we love you.” She says, that was my last straw.

I cry feeling touched on what my baby brother said. She pats my head and I feel I’m engulfed in a group hug.

“Yeah, we’re family so don’t say sorry okay?” Luna says, crying. More tears coming out now. Ah she’s so emotional.

“And family takes care of their own. So I’ll go ahead and get you some clothes.” Vic-unnie says with a motherly tone.

“I’ll come with you, unnie. Ssul, you stay here and watch over, Amber. If you want to sleep there’s a huge couch over there.” Luna says, pointing to the white couch at the far right of the room.

“Hyung, I’ll go ahead if that’s okay. I’m so tired.” She says, hugging her Rikkuma toy.

“Sure. Rest well, Ssul.” I smile at her.

I watch her lie down and instantly fall asleep while still hugging her stuffed toy. I lie down and remember that room. ‘Room 705: Jung Soo Jung”. Soo Jung… Isn’t that Krystal’s Korean name? Does that mean that the girl I love is just a room away from me? I need to know if it’s her. I need to find out tomorrow. But first I need to rest.

 

-----------------------------

 

“Stoopid! I’m serious! What did you wish for?”

“Okay okay. I wished…. That we would be together forever. Yeah, yeah. I know it’s cheesy. But hey. I mean it.”

“I wished for the same too…”

That wish…

It’s a wish I want to fulfill.

Wait for me, princess.

 

I wake up with bright rays of sunlight seeping through and the sound of the TV playing. I look around and find no one. There’s a sticky note posted onto my left hand.

“Good morning, Hyung. The schedules today will go according as planned so we probably won’t be there when you wake up. Your breakfast is on the side table. Don’t get up and force your ankle, it’ll only make it worse. Wait for us, okay? I the TV so you don’t have to get up anymore. There’s the remote beside your food. We’ll be back soon. Love ya.

                                                                                                                                    - Sulli”

How thoughtful of them. I wish them luck with today’s schedule. I’m not feeling hungry. That dream… It’s been a while since I had that kind of dream. The dream I had last night… It’s familiar. This nostalgic feeling comes rushing towards me. That voice inside me… It sounded like one of the voices in my dream. After leaving LA it has long been gone, not bothering me anymore.

“Go.”

Until now.

Here it goes again. Why now? After all these years, these feelings I had when I was young and my head filled with the riddle that is Krystal comes back to me. Is it because that the person in the room I saw is really her? A sudden rush of determination floods through me. I get up, wincing in pain but I still go on nevertheless. I find a pair crutches and use them to my aid. With wobbly steps, I try to reach the door and out of my room. I arrive at the hallway and proceeded to room 705.

Room 705: Jung Soo Jung

My heart starts to pound fast. I break into cold sweat. What if it isn’t her? Then I just embarrassed myself? A lot of what ifs cloud my mind, but a sudden burst of voice inside me clears it all.

“Princess.”

I suddenly feel calm and gather up my courage to open the door slightly just to take a peek. I look inside and I see an all white room same as mine. I see a bedside table with a lily flower in a vase on top of it. I move my vision to…

“I found you.”

Draped in sunlight, I see the most beautiful girl of all. Jet black hair, gently resting over along her back. Her cat like eyes intently reading the pages of a book. But something’s different. She looks pale and thin. But… It is her.

She looks at me and my heart stops. I’m unable to move. Oh no. Suddenly… She smiles. As if she knows I’m there. That smile, radiating a thousand sunrays. So beautiful.

“I never lost hope.” She says.

I couldn’t say anything.

“Amber.” She finally calls out my name.

Everything gave into a jolt yet a relief. Like a cold bucket of water splashed all over me. I slowly open the door revealing my injured self.

“What happened to you?” She asks with eyes full of concern.

“Something stupid I did…” I reply, embarrassed.

“Now you’re doing something stupid again by going here.” She glares.

“You don’t want me here?” I say.

“Of course I do want you here!” She raises her voice, blushing.

So cute…

“Stupid…” She murmurs.

”I’m your stupid.”

I smile and slowly wobble my way to her. I get a chair and sit beside her bed.

“Hello, Krystal. It’s been a while.” I greet with a smile.

“I knew you would find me.” She says, smiling.

“Did you miss me?” I ask.

“Oh did I?” She says, laughing.

Ah…Music to my ears.

“Yeah you did.” I grin.

“Okay okay. You win.” She says.

“You’ve grown so handsome, Amber.” She adds.

“You’re still as beautiful as the day I lost you.” I say, staring at her with eyes filled with love.

She blushes. Ahhhh my heart!

“Did I make you wait long?” I ask.

She nods.

“I’m sorry.” I say.

“It’s okay. You’re here.” She says, closing her eyes and smiling.

The minutes pass by with just this silence between us yet it feels like we've been talking. So peaceful… But many questions pop in my mind. Why did she leave and where did she go? Why is she here?

“Do you know why I left?” She suddenly says as if reading my mind.

“No.” I reply.

“We needed to get out of LA because of my step father. There are men hunting him down because of his ‘business’. Instead of taking off on his own he decided to take us with him. We travelled between states, constantly moving at the slightest information. My mother couldn’t take it anymore so she decided to sneak us out and fly back here to Korea since she has family here. I bet my step father is outraged and on a hunt to find us. But I hope he doesn’t show up. Anyways… We now live here with my grandparents.” She says.

“It’s a good thing you and your mom decided to leave.” I say.

“Yes. It’s my first time here in Korea though.” She says, looking out.

“How are you finding it so far?” I ask.

“Familiar. Nostalgic. I get a lot of de ja vus. It feels that I’ve been here somehow even though this is the first time. I think I’m going crazy.” She says.

“No you’re not. I get what you mean.” I reply, smiling.

“Oh yeah… Mind if I ask why you’re here in the hospital? Did you do something stupid too?” I ask, smirking.

“No. I’m not like you.” She replies.

“Ouch.” Princess is mean.

“I’m here because my body is acting stupid.” She says.

“Well duh. That’s why you’re in a hospital.” I chuckle.

“My body’s acting extra stupid. Maybe more than you.” She says, looking at me.

“Why?” I ask, getting more nervous with every passing second.

She closes her eyes and inhales deeply.

“I have Leukemia.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 9 is up! I'm so sorry if it took so long. I got really busy with internship and stuff so... Yeah. There it is. Anywyas... I really put thought into what I'm going to do for this chapter. Because after Amber and Krystal's separation in the last chapter, I didn't know what to do. But finally here it is. I hope you guys like it. Comments, suggestions and violent reactions are welcome as always. Peace! :D

I got a pe-pe-pe-pe-paper heart~ Next is Reaching You! Yosh! *writing cap on*