Promises

A Thousand Years

 

Chapter 4: Promises

 

Since Sooyeon died, I got the full responsibility of taking care of Soojung with the help of Yunho. But as a fisherman, he’s always out at sea. So I’m the one left at home to do chores and take care of Soojung. I would wake up in the middle of the night whenever she cries. I would tend to her every need. I’m already her servant despite her young age. In the morning, I would bring her outside for a walk and talk to her. In the afternoon, I would bring her again outside and watch the sunset with her like how I used to with her mother. Even as a baby, Soojung is very commanding. She would always cry if she wants something. I find it very cute. When she looks at me, my heart flutters seeing her young cat-like eyes. I know that this sounds like ia but hey, I have been in love with her since her previous lifetimes.

She’s already nine months old and she can sit on her own. I spend most of my time with her. Watching over her and making sure that she isn’t hurt. I’m her playmate and she is quite fond of that. She would ask me to carry her on my shoulders whenever we go outside. She laughs a lot and as I expected, she loves flowers. She comes with me every time I go out to tend the flower garden. She loves white roses. She would always sit by them and play. It fascinates me that even at a very young age, she knows that the flowers are very fragile. Not once has she ever destroyed one like most babies do. I watch her play every day and she never fails to put a smile on my face.

“Princess. Be careful of the thorns okay?” I call out to her as I’m watering the flowers not far from her.

She continues to play on. Her laughter fills the air and it’s music to my ears. She would smell the roses and laugh. She really does like its scent. Butterflies that visit the flowers would sometimes land on her head or on her arms and she would sit very still if that happens. Like now, an orange butterfly landed on her arm and she looks at it, observing. Even the butterflies are attracted by her. Ah, my little princes. The scene is like the first time I saw her two lifetimes ago. Soojung as a child playing in the middle of flowers. I smile as I remember that time. I remember that I made her a flower crown then because she was scared of me. She never changes.

“Am!” I hear her say.

My head shoots up and I look at her, dumbfounded. Did she just say “Am”?

“Am! Am!” She continues to say while pointing at me, laughing.

A wide smile forms onto my face as she calls out to me. It’s her first word. I go to her side and carry her.

“Yes, princess? You called?” I say, smiling at her.

“Am!” She says laughing then pinching my nose.

I laugh and hug her. She hugs me back. She really never fails to brighten up my day. I set her down so she can continue playing but she won’t let go of my shirt.

“What is it?” I ask.

“Am…” She says while pointing at the ground.

“Oh you want me to sit?” I ask again.

She nods at me. This child is smart even though she is still very young. I sit down while still carrying her. She wants to play with me. I set her down beside me and she starts to pick flowers.

“Ah! Princess! Don’t pick them.” I say.

She won’t listen and keeps on picking. I watch her until she has a handful of flowers. She comes back to me and gives me what she picked. I look at her, confused on what she wants me to do. She just stares at me as if waiting for me to do something to the flowers. Then it hit me. I remember…The flower crown. I start to weave the flowers with each other, creating a collage of colors. I weave and weave until I make a crown that fits her head. Then I slip the remaining flowers into the small openings the crown has so it looks more beautiful. The whole time I’m doing it, she just watches me and doesn’t interrupt me. I finish her flower crown and I present it to her.

“There, it’s done. Do you like it?” I ask as I hand her the crown.

She looks at it and her face brightens up. She squeals and claps. I grin at her as I place it onto her cute little head. I take a good look at her. Such beauty at a young age. But what fascinates me is that she asks me to make her that flower crown. Does she remember? No… Impossible. This must be coincidence. But how can a small child ask me of this? Maybe… Just maybe… Her soul remembers.

I hear the Yunho’s pickup truck park in front of the house. I pick up Soojung and go inside the house to let her greet her father. Yunho enters the door and as soon as he sees Soojung, his face lightens up. Like the whole day of weariness instantly fades as soon as he lays his eyes on her.

“Little princess. How was your day?” He says as he carries her.

“Am!” She once again squealed. I smile as I hear it.

“Oh! Is that her first word?” Yunho says, eyes wide and with a grin on his face.

“Yeah. She first said it when we were outside at the garden.” I say.

“So you played with Amber? She made you this? It’s beautiful, little princess.” Yunho coos while his daughter’s soft locks.

“Beautiful as her.” I think as I watch them talk.

 

-----------------------------

 

Years pass and Soojung is now a beautiful little girl. She helps me out around the house and never leaves my side. She still goes out with me every morning and afternoon for our walk. She helps tend the garden and I can say the flowers bloom better when she’s around. Whenever she laughs or even smile, I swear the day would just brighten up. Butterflies come to her often whenever she is tending the flowers. She is a silent one, though for some of the neighbors she is snobbish. But who are they to judge her? They didn’t spend seven years taking care of her. I know her more. And in my eyes, she is the most wonderful person. Her cat-like eyes are just the way I remember them. Intriguing and fierce yet such beauty radiates from her. Her long, silk-like jet black hair that dances as the wind caresses them and shines as the sun hits them. That porcelain white skin she possesses. My princess grew up to be this beautiful little girl. I couldn’t be any happier that I’m finally here by her side.

Whenever she wants something, I would do everything in my power to fulfill it. Even though she doesn’t ask of it, I would still do it for her. Just for her… And only for her. Because her smiles, tight hugs and that light pink blush on her cheeks whenever she thanks me is the best reward that I could ever get. Nothing can compare to my joy whenever I make her happy. The one who should be thankful is me. Through her lifetimes, she taught me what it means to actually live. To see the world in color. Because without her… The world isn’t worth living anymore.

Today, just like any other day, she accompanies me outside to see off the sun with me. We sit on the bench Sooyeon and I sit on. She is just as wonderful as her mother.

“Sooyeon-noona. Do you see us? Look. Soojung is already seven and she is the most beautiful little girl that I have ever seen in my entire existence. Would it be okay if I love her like this?” I think as I look up, recognizing that somewhere up in the heavens, Sooyeon is watching over us.

Soojung and I sit in silence as the sun hides between the mountains and twilight begins to take over.

“Soojung. Let’s go inside. It’s beginning to go dark.” I say gently.

“Can we just stay until dark, Am?” She says to me with pleading eyes. Yes, she calls me “Am”. It’s her first word after all.

“I’m sorry, princess. Your father has instructed me that we shouldn’t be outside when night falls.” I say apologetically.

She looks down. Her father doesn’t allow her outside at night fearing something might happen to her. It brings me down to see her like this. Maybe I spoil her too much.

“But don’t worry, princess. When you get older we’ll stay out here until the stars come out. I promise.” I say, smiling at her.

Then upon hearing my words, her eyes become bright and give me that wonderful smile that never fails to speed up my heartbeat.

“Okay.” She beams.

She takes my hand and leads me home. With her and in mine, butterflies erupt in my stomach. Despite the cold afternoon wind, she warms me up.

 

-----------------------------

 

I have now been staying at the Jung household for fifteen years already. Soojung is now fifteen years of age. Such time flies when you are enjoying it. I watch Soojung fall asleep and I go out of her room to clean up. I hear Yunho’s pickup truck park in front of the house. He’s rarely home because fishing has become quite hard these days. So he needs to spend days at sea so that he could earn enough. He says to me there is an impending threat of war in the air. I believe him since I hear it from the radio. Soojung is quite aware of it but I don’t expose her enough. I hear the front door open and there enters a weary man in his mid forties. His hair is starting to grow grey and fine lines begin to show on his face.

“Welcome home, Yunho.” I greet him.

“Ah, Amber. Is Soojung already asleep?” He says as he sits down at the dining chair.

“Yes.” I reply as I give him a glass of water.

“You look really tired. I think you should also turn in for the night.” I add, noticing his eyes are beginning to drop.

“No. I’ll just stay here a bit longer. Can you get me a can of beer?” He says.

“Sure.” I say.

“You know… It’s been really hard to catch fish these days. And what I said about the war? They are actually true.” He adds.

I stop, shocked of what I heard. Fear started to creep unto me.

“While we were at sea these past couple of days, we saw navy ships. Americans maybe. I would lie if I told you that I’m not scared. Because I’m really scared. Especially for Soojung.” He says with his face resting on his palms.

“Then we need to make sure that she is safe.” I say, as I put down the can of beer in front of him.

“Yes. I’m sure from what I have heard, the war won’t start until a few years. They say that the country is in a war against itself. It’s divided.” He says as he sips his beer.

“I’ve heard of it too.” I say.

“Say, Amber… You’ve been with us for fifteen years right?” He asks.

“Yes and I am grateful.” I reply as I sit on the chair near him

“Then… I just want to know… Why aren’t you aging?” He asks out of the blue, looking at me.

My heart skips a beat upon hearing his question. What should I say? Should I deny? But I have been with them for a long time and they trust me. Would I break their trust by lying? But I’m afraid that when Yunho finds out that I’m immortal he might see me as a demon and orders me to stay away from Soojung. But… I couldn’t lie to them either.

“It’s because I’m immortal.” I take a gamble.

Yunho stays silent, hearing my words. Then he looks at me straight in the eyes.

“Then will you watch over and take care of Soojung when I’m already gone?” He says.

His words catches me off guard. He isn’t mad?

“Yes I will. Forever.” I say with all sincerity.

“Then good.” He says as he takes another gulp from his beer.

“But… Aren’t you mad? I mean… Don’t you see me as a monster? Most people would call me that whenever they learn of my immortality.” I say.

“Mad? Why would I be mad? You took care of Sooyeon when she was pregnant. You are taking care of Soojung ever since she was born. You are making her happy and you are with her every day. Unlike me, her own father, can’t even spend three days straight with his only daughter because he can’t make time.” He says.

“Yunho… Thank you. But… Time… Make time for her. Please. Spend time with her while you still can. You don’t know how cruel time is. Trust me.” I say, remembering my past.

“I… Okay. I will try my best.” He says, seeing the pain in my eyes.

“If you don’t mind me asking. How long have you been alive?” He asks.

“For thousands of years. I have seen the world but it didn’t look beautiful to me. Not until I met this little girl at a flower field one day.” I say, absentmindedly smiling as I remember little Soojung playing at the flower field.

“Oh really? I assume you fell in love with that little girl didn’t ‘ya?” Yunho says as he taps my arm.

“Yeah. After that meeting I said to myself that I would wait for her and find her. I found her again years after as an old lady. But she passed away and that is the first time that I experienced true pain. Then I have wandered for hundreds of years, waiting for the time that I should find her again. Then one day, I got into this kingdom and there was this commotion as the festival was going. I saved the princess from being kidnapped. And guess what. That princess was the same little girl I met a hundred years back but not is a young lady. I spend my time with her not that long. But as I was with her, I experienced for the first time how to be loved. But it was cut short when fate decided to take her away from me again. She was killed one day and I wasn’t with her that time. The pain I felt was unbearable and that time I swore that when I find her again, I would protect her with my life. Now here I am hundreds and hundreds of years after since I last saw her.” I say, as everything that has happened to me flashed in my mind.

Yunho, stays silent as he absorbs my story.

“You still haven’t found her haven’t you?” He asks, looking at me.

“As a matter of fact… I have.” I say, smiling.

“Really? Where is she?” He says.

“She’s in her room, sleeping.” I say as my smile goes wider.

Yunho’s eyes go wide as he hears my words.

“You mean my daughter…” He says, wide eyed.

I nod.

“Wow… No wonder you take care of her that passionately.” He says.

“I did promise that I would take care and protect her no matter what.” I say.

“Heh. I guess reincarnations are really true eh?” He says, chuckling.

“I wonder… Would Sooyeon and I meet in the next life?” He adds.

“I am sure of it.” I say, patting his shoulder.

He then stays silent. I think of the war and I’m pretty sure that he is thinking of the same. I fear not for my own life, I fear for Yunho’s too. But most of all, I fear for Soojung. One day, when she is old enough, I would take her away from this place and keep her safe.

“If the war ensues… We fishermen are the first to experience it.” He breaks the silence.

I look at him, knowing what he is thinking.

“When that happens…I trust her to you, Amber. Do whatever it takes to protect her. You know her more than I do.” He says, looking at me straight in the eyes.

“Yes… I promise.”

I promise...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 4 up! Sorry for the not so kryber chapter. I'm currently deciding on where to take this story's plot. I have a lot of scenes in my mind. Will kryber be finally together? That I don't know yet myself. Hahaha! I do hope that you like this chapter. To you readers, thank you for the support. Comments, suggestions and violet reactions are welcome. ^^