Found You

A Thousand Years

 

Chapter 2: Found You

 

More years pass and the land changes before my eyes.  Advancements are now seen around. The kingdom where Soojung resided grew. I left when she died but I occasionally come back to check up on things. Luckily the flower field where Soojung is buried is preserved. I keep coming back here hoping that I would find her here again. But this is the nineteenth time that I came back. A hundred and fifty hears have already passed since I saw her alive and well. And I miss her more every single passing day. I decide to leave the kingdom and travel far. To another country. I won’t lose hope. I will find her someday. I’m sure of it.

Months I travel from kingdom to kingdom. I explore the world around me but to me, it has no color if I don’t have Soojung by my side. I arrive at this kingdom and it seems that they have a parade going on. There are festive banners around. People gather around near the streets and confetti scatter around. I wonder what is the occasion for something this grand to happen here. Then I suddenly hear trumpets being blown. I squeeze myself against the crowd to see who will pass by. I see guards everywhere. In the middle of them, there is a carriage. The person inside must be someone important.

“Make way! Make way! The princess is finally back!” I hear a guard say.

The princess…

I crane my head just get a glimpse at the princess but the carriage window is being blocked by a curtain.  The people around me cheer as her carriage passes. Then suddenly I hear a commotion behind the carriage. My eyes go wide as I saw a group of rebels attack the carriage. The guards behind are all sliced down. The crowd disperses, running for their own lives. There is a commotion around. Then I hear a scream. I see a man dragging a girl out of the carriage. When I see the face of the girl being dragged out, my anger rises up. I pull out two swords from a dead guard and without any hesitation, I charge towards the thug who is now carrying the girl.

The thug sees me and then throws the girl aside which makes my anger boil up. I attack him with my left sword but he parries and the hilt of his sword to my chest. I stagger back but it didn’t waver my spirit. I come back and slash him with my right only to be blocked but I swiftly my right, meeting the edge with his stomach. He gurgles out blood. I sense the other thugs are running towards me.

“Please stay close to me.” I say to the girl.

She nods in response. Thug number one attacks me on the side but I didn’t give him a fighting chance. I parry his attack then slashed his stomach open. Thug number two and three decides to attack me at the same time. I run towards them and slide under their attacks. Then I stab them at the back with my swords. Thug number four tries to run but I pick up a dagger and with a good aim, I am able to send it right through his heart. Just as always, the guards run into the fight when it’s already over. Pathetic. I look at the girl behind me. I give her an assuring smile then the next thing I’m already at the ground being pinned down by her guards.

“You are under arrest for causing public terror and for threatening the princess’ life!” The guard on top of me yells.

I’m being handcuffed when....

“Wait! Stop! Don’t arrest him!” The princess screams.

“But your highness. He threatened your life.” The guard behind me says.

“No. He was the one who saved me from those rebels. If it wasn’t for him, I would be dead.” She says as she looks at me.

Those eyes. Those eyes that reminds me of a cat. Long silky, jet black hair. That cold and commanding aura. My princess…

A tear nearly escapes my eye but I hold it in. Finally… After hundreds of years of waiting and searching. I finally found you.

“Would my savior be so kind and tell me his name?” The princess says to me.

“I am Amber, your highness.” I say as I bow to her.

“And I’m not a he.” I whisper that only she could hear.

“Oh! My apologies. And thank you for your valor. How can I repay you?” She says.

“Oh no, your highness. A reward is not needed. It was an honor to defend you.” I say.

“I know. You should come with me. I am sure that my father would be delighted to meet you, knowing that you saved my life.” She says as she grabbed my arm.

I blush at the contact. It has been a long time since she held me like this. We ride to the castle on horses to meet the king. The palace is adorned with royal blue colors, the color of the kingdom. Huge mahogany doors tower over me. The place is full of guards, all of them suited with armor, ready for battle. We enter a huge room that is adorned with royal banners and lit torches. At the center is a velvet carpet leading up front to the throne. And there, the king sits waiting for us. His face stained with years of experience. His grey hair streaked with wisdom. He sees us and immediately stands up to meet his daughter.

“Soojung! Oh I’m glad that you’re all right!” He hugs his daughter tight.

Soojung… So it really is her..

“I’m fine father. If it wasn’t for Amber here…”  She says as she gestures towards me.

“Who?” The king then looks at me.

“Ah! You must be the one who saved my daughter. I give you my thanks, young man! Thank you very much! To repay your valor, I would grant any wish you want. Go on. Do not be shy.”  He says, his voice full with gratitude. He even bowed to me when he said thanks.

Any wish eh? Sir… You can’t give what I really wish for…

“No, your majesty. No reward is needed.” I say, declining his offer.

“There must be something I can do for you and for your family to show my gratitude.” He says.

“It’s alright sir. I… I don’t have a family either. I am nothing but a wanderer.” I say.

“Ah then you could stay here! Be my daughter’s personal bodyguard!” He booms. What a jolly man his majesty is.

“But, your majesty…” I retort.

“No. I insist. Servants! Give this young man some clothes fit for being my daughter’s personal bodyguard!” The king orders his servants with a booming voice.

Then three servants half drags me to a room to dress me up. I look back and see Soojung looking at me while chuckling. I missed her laugh… Her smile… Her everything. Now that I’m with her again, I will cherish the moments what we would share. I would love her from afar and protect her with my life. I have waited two hundred years just to see her again. Just to be with her again.

I finish dressing up. I am now clad in a white tunic with royal blue trims and linings that is fit for a knight. Two swords are strapped at my side. I look rather dashing. This is much better than the clothes I wore for the last hundreds of years. I wander around the castle, enjoying its magnificence. I go out and find myself at the garden. Flowers are blooming everywhere, birds singing and the sun shining warmly above. This is all too familiar. I hear someone humming. Her voice fills the air and a warm gust of wind passes through. By the fountain, I see the princess tending some blue roses while humming an entrancing tune. The scene before me could never be more perfect. I just watch her. Like I always did. Like when the day I met her in her past life. As a little girl. So this is how she looks like when she is in her teens or twenties maybe? Beautiful. I can’t find any more words on how she looks like. Just… wow.

“How long are you going to stare at me, Amber?” I hear her say, snapping me away from my trance.

“I’m sorry, princess- I mean your highness.” I correct myself.

“It’s fine if you call me princess. I kind of like it.” She chuckles.

“A-ah. Okay.” I walk towards her.

I sit next to her and look at the flowers she is tending. She has always loved flowers, even before. But they are nothing compared to her. I love this beautiful being in front of me. But alas… I am bound by time. Cursed to forever walk the earth. The only thing that I could do is cherish the time that I have with her until I find her again.

 

-----------------------------

 

Months pass and Soojung and I became close friends. She would always order me this and that. But I don’t mind. She is my princess after all. She would always ask me to accompany her outside to see the stars at night. I would be the recipient of her ice princess tantrums. Though I always experience her icyness, that didn’t hinder me from loving her even more so. She would always cling on to me. Except when we go out in public of course.

One night she asks me once again to accompany her outside to look at the stars. I happily oblige and bring a blanket in case she gets cold again. As we l are lying down against the grass, I think that I could have never been happier with her here by my side. Though my love is unrequited, it’s fine. I would always love her for many lifetimes to come.

“Amber…” I hear her say.

“Yes, Soojung?” I reply. She allows me to call her Soojung. We’re that close.

“Do you believe that when a person dies, he or she can come back to this world again as another person starting a new life again?” She asks out of the blue while still looking at the stars.

“You mean reincarnation?” I say, looking at her.

She nods.

“Yeah. I do believe so. Bodies are gone forever but souls come and go. They may not be aware of their past life but I am sure there is something about their past life that determines their personality or even appearance in their present life.“ I say as I look back at the stars, thinking about her past life as the Soojung that I gave a flower crown to.

“How did you know? And how are you sure?” She asks, furrowing her eyebrows.

“I don’t know. I just believe.” I look at her and smile.

She smiles back at me and immediately her attention is shifted when she notices a meteor shower is going on.

“Oh! Hurry, Amber! Let’s make a wish!” She says, excitement in her voice.

I close my eyes and wish to the gods that she may be with me longer. And I wish for my immortality to be lifted so that I could grow old with her.

“What did you wish for?” I hear her say.

I open my eyes and look at her. My gaze meets hers… I love you, Soojung.

“I wished for food to rain down.” I jokingly said which earns me a smack on the arm.

“Stoopid! I’m serious! What did you wish for?”  She says, pouting.

How cute… My princes… She doesn't know what she makes me feel.

“Okay okay. I wished…. That we would be together forever. Yeah, yeah. I know it’s cheesy. But hey. I mean it.” I say.

I only hear silence. I look at her only to meet her grinning face.

“I wished for the same too…” She says, a light blush lingering on her cheeks.

My heart leaps with joy as I hear her say those words. She wants me to be with her forever… My  princess. Even in her next life, I would be with her.

I take a deep breath and gather all my courage to do what I am about to do next. I slowly reach out for her hand. I feel her hand tense up when she felt mine against hers. But slowly relaxed as I entwine mine with hers. She gives me a light squeeze and I respond back. I know that words aren’t needed to explain what was going on between us. The silence of the night, our matched heartbeats and entwined hands are all the explanation we will ever need.

Our silent mutual feelings go on as the days pass by. We spend almost every night at the garden looking at the stars and telling sweet nothings to each other. These are the happiest I have been in my entire existence. I know that Soojung loves me. So… This is how it feels to be loved by someone. It’s beautiful… A feeling that I would definitely not forget.

I wake up one day with Soojung gone. Where is she? I ask the servants and they have no clue on her whereabouts. I get worried and opted to go to the king and ask him.

I reach his study and I knock.

“Yes. Come in.” I hear him say.

“Good morning, you majesty.” I bow before going in.

“Ah, Amber! What brings you here?” He asks.

“Sir, I was just wondering where Soojung is. I didn’t find her in her quarters this morning.” I say, worry evident in me.

“Oh she left. Didn’t she tell you?” He says.

“Tell me what, sir?” I say, a bit of a shock that she didn’t tell me.

“That she is leaving today to meet with the prince  that she is going to marry at the nearby kingdom.” He replies.

The world shut out when I heard what the king had said. My Soojung… Marrying another… My heart breaks into pieces.

“O-oh. Alright, sir. Thank you.” I bow, keeping my tears in.

Suddenly the door burst open and a soldier came rushing in, panting.

“Your majesty! We have just received word that the princess’ carriage and entourage were attacked by bandits on their way to the nearest kingdom!” The guard says in panic.

It doesn’t take me long to head out of the room and the castle to the stables to get my horse. I ride as fast as I could to the nearest kingdom, following its route. Hours pass and I’m still searching for her. My princess… I need to save her. As it’s nearing sunset, a horrifying sight beholds upon me. I see her carriage crashed. Her guards dead and blood is all over the place. I dismount my horse and run to her carriage. I open the door only to see what I am dreading to see. My tears continuously fall as I get her body out of the wreckage. I hold her tight and cry out loud.

“Why!?!!? Why did you leave me, Soojung?! You promised! We’d be together forever! Princess…” I cry some more. The excruciating pain in my heart resonating. The world is once again devoid of colors now that she is viciously ripped away from me again.

Crying in so much grief I mount her onto my horse and lead my horse to a place I know where wild blue flowers bloom freely. We arrive at the said place and I carry her to a secluded spot. I bury her there. This scene is all too familiar. Here we are once again, under the stars and surrounded by flowers. It’s time to say goodbye once more. I surround her burial spot with flowers that she loves. She’s gone… Again. Now I have to wait for her and find her again. Why can’t I be with Soojung for a longer while? She’s gone too soon.

“Soojung… You left me once again. But I promise you that I’ll wait for you. ‘Till we meet again… I love you.” I say as I weep in front of her grave.

I walk away and lead my horse back to the main road that is facing a cliff near the sea  Why? Why are the gods cruel to me? Isn’t my immortality enough to torture me? Why do they have to take Soojung away from me? But I won’t back down. I would definitely find her again.

I mount my horse and decide to run away from her kingdom. I won’t bother to go to the king to report though I owe him a lot. But I can’t stand to set foot on the castle where Soojung and I made memories together. Especially at the garden. I can’t handle that much pain for now. I ride on. Waiting for time to pass by so that I could meet her again… The one I would wait eternity for.

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes! Another chapter done! This is an achievement for me really. I'm not the type who writes ongoing fics. Because I might just get tired of it and forget. Aw but I do hope that I complete this one even though I have NO idea on how to continue it. Any comments or suggestions are welcome! ^^