Goodbye

A Thousand Years

Chapter 5: Goodbye

 

“Amber! Amber!” I hear someone banging at the door early in the morning.

I hazily sit up from my bed and walk towards the front door to see who is making such a commotion. I open up and find my neighbor out of breath and in panic.

“What’s wrong, Jinri?” I ask.

“Yunho… The sea… They were bombed. The war is starting! Hurry! Pack up and evacuate!” She says then immediately running off to her house.

“If the war ensues… We fishermen are the first to experience it.”

“When that happens…I trust her to you, Amber. Do whatever it takes to protect her. You know her more than I do.”

I remember what Yunho said to me.

It doesn’t take long after I run inside the house, packing little clothes for Soojung and I. I knew that if we take too much clothing we would have a hard time running away. I hear planes and bombs  exploding in the distance. I could hear people screaming outside, running for their lives. With panic sweeping through me, my hands start to shake. I fear not for my life, but I do fear much for Soojung. Not this again. After finishing up, I run to Soojung’s room and wake her up.

“Princess. Princess! Wake up!” I shake her. I don’t care if she gets mad at me because of this.

Her eyes flutter open and she yawns. Cute… Wait. Not now.  She sits up and gives me an irritated look.

“What is it, Am?” She says with obvious sleep in her voice.

“Princess. We need to go now… The war… They’re bombing everything.” As if on cue, there goes the sound of a bomb. But now closer and the house rattles because of the shockwave.

Soojung’s eyes go wide and I could see panic on her face. I need to be brave for her.

“But where is papa? We need to get to him!” She says frantic.

“Soojung… The sea was the first part to be bombed…” I say, my head hanging low and trying to stop tears from falling.

“No… No!” Soojung wails and starts to cry.

I hear another explosion.

“Princess. He knew that this is going to happen so he entrusted you to me. Your father wants you to live. Please. Let’s go. Live on for him.” I plead at the unmoving Soojung in front of me.

She looks up at me and nods. I take her hand and carry our bags. We run out of the house, out of the backyard and to the mountains. I look past the flower garden that I used to tend while little Soojung plays. Memories flood through me as I suppress my sorrow. I am once again leaving the place that I once called home. I look to my right, Soojung running with me. She is looking back at our house while crying. It pains me to see her like this.

“Soojung. Don’t look back. It will only make it harder.” I say as I give her hand a gentle squeeze.

Her tear stained face looks at me and gives me a nod. We run a distance, then finally we reach the edge of the forest. We hide and we could see our house from afar. We could see an airplane up above then suddenly our house exploded and it was no more. Soojung tries to scream out but I cover for we might get caught. My tears finally let out. Our home is gone, burnt to ashes. For fifteen years I stayed there, I met a wonderful couple and my very precious princess. The sentimental value of that place was too much. And seeing Soojung crying her heart out makes it even worse. Why does every time that I finally find her, a catastrophe occurs soon after? Do the gods really curse me that much? No… This time I would protect her even if it costs me my life.

“Princess, we need to get as far away as possible from here. From what I heard the enemies are not far from our village. We must get to the town.” I say to her as I hug her for reassurance.

She gives a light nod and proceeds to stand. We travel the forest. Every time we hear an airplane approach it shakes our resolve. That airplane could drop a bomb down to where we are and we could die anytime. I have never felt this scared in my entire existence. It’s hot and we are already tired, but we need to press on if we are to have a chance of surviving. Hours that felt like days passed, I finally spot a faint light up front. I know that the town is close.

“Soojung. I see the town beyond. Let’s hurry.” I say but I get a response from no one.

I look back and there lay Soojung not far from me. I panic and run back to where she is. Cold sweat running down my face as I lift her up and see that she looks pale. She is not used to being extremely tired and being constantly on the move.

“Princess! Please wake up!” I say as I gently tap her cheek.

Her eyes slowly opens and looks at me.

“Amber… I can’t go on. I’m too tired. I can’t move my body.” She weakly says.

“No. Here, come on. Up in my back. Like you used to when you were little. Come on, princess. Please.” I plead to her.

I put her arms around me and I gently shift her onto my back. She always felt light to me so I don’t have any trouble running with her on my back. I shifted our bags up in my front so she can somehow feel comfortable. I started to jog towards the light that leads to the town.

“Close your eyes, princess. Imagine that you and I are running around the field like we used to. Stay calm. Remember that I am always here for you.” I say to her.

I feel her relax a bit and it put me to ease. We finally run past the edge of the forest and the sight of the bustling town behold upon me. But the town I remember is now full of military vehicles. There are soldiers everywhere, both Korean and foreign. I look around finding some place to stay so Soojung can rest. I spot a small inn nearby and I jog to where it is. I enter the small building and I am greeted by the sight of age. I could see that the war has already taken its toll on this small inn. The interiors look old and faded. The brick walls stained with the color of rusty red. There are cobwebs up the ceiling. The floorboards creak whenever I step onto them. I walk to the counter and a young woman came into view.

“Oh my! What happened to her?” She says, wide eyed.

“She fainted on our way here.” I say.

“Come. Let’s get her to a room.” She says as she starts to lead me upstairs.

I follow her and we climb the second floor. The corridor is now decorated with wallpaper of flowers. A definite difference from what I have seen at the floor below. There are picture frames hanging on the wall. I look at them and find that they are old photographs. Memories of when this small inn was first built. We enter the room where Soojung would rest. It is a mildly lit room adorned with white walls that has light gray designs that look like vines. At the upper left corner of the room, there is a single bed. The window at the upper center wall of the room looks out the streets. At the opposite of the bed, there is a couch. Good. I could sleep there. I set Soojung down on the bed and gently tuck her in. She’s sleeping peacefully. If only I could retain this peace within her. But she just learned that her father is gone, her home got blasted into pieces and was forced to run away from the place she knew and loved. This is all too much for such a young woman. How could I ever save her from this place?

“She’s important to you isn’t she?” The woman behind me says.

“More than my own life…” I say as I look lovingly at my princess.

I look up at the woman behind me. She has dark hair and a sunny smile with her.

“Thank you. I’m Amber by the way.” I introduce myself.

“I’m Sunyoung.” She smiles at me. “I’m going now. If you need anything, don’t hesitate to call okay?” She adds.

“Thank you.” I smile.

She leaves the room, closing the door shut. The weariness finally seeps in through me. I collapse down at the couch and breathe out heavily. What am I going to do? We need to get out of here. Soojung needs to get out of here. I get up and look outside the window. I see soldiers marching about. I spot American soldiers unload from a jeep. I look at them intently. Then an idea comes into my mind. I turn around and kneel beside Soojung. I hold her hand and pray that she would get better real soon. I hang my head low and I feel scared from the idea I just had. Then I feel Soojung’s hand reach for me. My head perks up fast.

“Am…” She meekly says.

“Yes, princess?” I ask, prepared to do anything she asks of me.

“Can I get a glass of water?” She says, her dry lips.

I nod and then run out to get what she needs. I go down and ask Sunyoung if I could get a glass of water. She willingly helps and goes into the kitchen then comes out with a tray that contains a pitcher of ice cold water and two glasses. She gives them to me and I give her my thanks in return. I swiftly walk up to our room and kneel beside Soojung’s bed.

“Princess. I got your water right here.” I say as I pour her a glass.

She sits up and gets the glass from my hand and drink like there’s no tomorrow. She’s so exhausted. She needs to get stronger. She lies down after drinking and reaches out for my hand. I gently hold her hand and give her a reassuring smile.

“Thank you, Am.” She says.

“Anything for you, princess.” I reply.

“Don’t you ever leave me.” She says, staring me down.

I freeze. I couldn’t promise her anything. For the first time in forever… I lie to Soojung.

“I won’t leave you.” I say, swallowing all the guilt I have.

I’m sorry…

 

-----------------------------

 

Days pass and Soojung regained her strength. We have been staying at Sunyoung’s inn ever since we arrived at this town. We help around the inn, tending to wounded soldiers. I was afraid to expose Soojung to all of this, but it turns out that she is more willing to help those soldiers. She is a natural healer. We made friends among the soldiers, both Korean and American alike. Especially Soojung, the soldiers have taken a liking on her. Of course who wouldn’t? She is the most beautiful young woman you could ever see in your entire existence. But come on, guys. Back off. She’s my princess. She always has been and she always will be. Even though many soldiers are eyeing Soojung, she paid them no mind. I wonder. She never told me that she loves me in THAT way. Or maybe she loves me in a sisterly way. I don’t know. But I got to admit that at the thought of her thinking of me as a sister brings a pang in my chest. Does she see me the same way as she did a long, long, long time ago?

Amidst my monologue thinking, the sound of the alarm bell rings through the place. The soldiers immediately work into action. Shouting orders, prepping their ammunition and just running all over the place. It turns out that the enemies have infiltrated the town. Evacuation must be done, both civilian and soldiers. We go out using the back door and run outside. I know that I couldn’t drag Soojung running around anymore but I needed to.

“Come on! Let’s go!” A Korean soldier yells at us, ordering us to follow him.

We run towards the inner city where their main headquarters is. The soldier says that the jeeps are up and running, ready for evacuation. We hear an explosion behind us, I look back and to my horror I see Sunyoung sprawled down against the pavement. My eyes go wide and I run to her side.

“Sunyoung! Wake up!” I shake her. Her body is full of injury that I'd rather not describe.

“Amber… Go on. Leave me here. Go take Soojung somewhere safe.” She says then she gives me one last sunny smile.

Her body goes limp and cold. Another friend lost because of this war. I’ll never forgive myself if I lose Soojung the same way. I run back to Soojung and see her crying. I grab her hand and tell her to not look back and just keep moving forward. I think of the plan that I had days ago. I think that is the only way that I could save Soojung from this hell. I hear gun shots behind me and I urge her to run even faster. I could hear her breath starting to get rugged. So I carry her without any hesitation and just run towards to where the soldiers are. We maneuver through the town, careful not to run into any trouble. It’s beginning to go dark as the sun sets, making the place seem more hellish than before. The smell of death clings through the air. The houses and establishments all in flames. Cars and other things on the streets are broken. Bodies sprawled all over the place. What a nightmare. I don’t want to expose Soojung to all of this. But unfortunately… What we are facing is reality. The smell of gasoline and smoke enters my lungs. Soojung starts coughing and I take out my handkerchief.

“Here. Cover your mouth and nose with this.” I say, handing it to her.

“But how about you?” She says, looking at me with worried eyes.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be fine. I always have been.” I say and continue to run with her on my back.

It’s hard to find the soldier who called out to us because of all the smoke. I absentmindedly run straight ahead praying to the gods who cursed me that please make this an exception and help me find my way through this wreck. I need to save my princess. A small flash of light catches my eye up ahead. One, two, three clicks. A flashlight. I squint my eyes and I could see the soldier from earlier along with American soldiers. I recognize one American soldier who befriended Soojung and I. His name is Erwin and he helped me get supplies for the inn days ago. I know that he is a good guy. My hope rises a little bit but immediately shatters when I hear never ending gunshots not far behind me. I panic and try to run as fast as I could. I shift Soojung in front of me while running for I fear that she might get shot at the back. Erwin calls out to us to hurry up. He runs towards us and meets us halfway.

“Come on. The jeep’s ready to go.” He says.

I put Soojung down and tell her to run ahead and I’ll be right behind her. We start to run as fast as we could, while gunshots could still be heard behind. Well maybe, I didn’t need to do my plan after all. Maybe I could still be with Soojung. For the first time in days, pure happiness fills my heart. But then… It’s replaced by pain. A burning sensation that is spreading across my chest. I feel my legs slowing down and my body weakens in a rapid state. I stop and go down to my knees. I see Soojung’s retreating back and I look down to my chest. It’s all red… Red with my blood. I’ve been shot, protecting Soojung’s back. But at least she’s safe. My face meets the ground as my strength leaves me. I struggle to look up and see my princess running towards me.

“No… Go back. Keep running…” My mind says.

I could see her grief stained face as she runs towards me. Then two pairs of arms stop her from coming to me. She struggles and calls out my name. I could hear her calling out to me, her voice echoing inside my head.

“No! Amber! Let’s help her!” It says and she keeps struggling to get to me.

I could hear the gunshots getting nearer. I gather up all the strength I have left to shout.

“Keep moving! Go!” I yell as blood begins to take over my throat.

“No! I won’t leave you!” Soojung replies in a frantic voice.

“Erwin! Take her! Make sure that she is safe! Take her to your country if that makes her safe! Please! I beg you!” I cry out to him, giving him my last wish. That was my plan.

Erwin looks at me with pain and nods. She carries my struggling princess over his shoulder and starts to run along with the other soldier. I could see screaming for me. Her hand stretching out to me. Her tears falling down because of me. I stretch out my hand to hers as if holding it and reassuring her that she is going to be okay. My tears fall with the realization of parting with her hits me. But at least, she didn’t die on me this time. It’s my turn to die for her. I don’t regret anything. If it’s for her, I would gladly go through all this pain over the next lifetimes to come. But I think… I won’t be able to come back. I have been in this world for too long. I am finally going to be laid to rest. I look ahead and the jeep already left. To wherever Soojung is going, I pray to the gods that she will be taken care of. I close my eyes and calm myself, preparing for death to take me. I send my love to Soojung not for the last time. Because even in the afterlife, if there is any for me, I would send my love to her every single day.

My time is already here. As darkness begins to engulf me, my entire existence flashes through my mind but only focusing on the times that I shared with my one true love. From that one sunny day on the field with a certain precious little girl up to the time that she was on my back, with me running for her life. A single tear falls down from my eye as I mentally say to her…

“Princess… I’m sorry. I didn’t keep my promise. But I did promise that I would keep you safe from everything. So… Go on… Live… Live for me, my love. Goodbye. I love you.”

I give my last breath and everything is gone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aaaaand here's the latest chapter! Sorry if this took long. College life got the best of me. Academics here, academics there, academics everywhere. Anyways... I hope you like this latest chap (yeah. this is the product of a three month hiatus. i was having a writer's block okay? TT^TT). Please don't kill me. *hides*

To the wonderful readers and subscribers of this story... Thank you for all your support! I see to it that I give my best into writing every chapter so that we can all get on a feel trip. Hahahaha. Okay. So.. Comments, suggestions, violent reactions and death threats are most certainly welcome.^^

What now? What to expect on the next chapter? Will this even have a next chapter? I dunno. :P