Death Brings Life

A Thousand Years

 

Chapter 3: Death Brings Life

 

Time passes by me once more as I wait for her. Hundreds of years pass and  the world keeps on improving. It’s now hard to stay anonymous since papers and identifications are now needed. I can’t travel across the seas without the authorities asking me for some identification papers and those things that are called “passports”. How can I get one? I don’t have enough money to get one. So here I am, stuck in this country called Korea. Wandering around, homeless. The world has indeed advanced. I see houses stand tall and strong. Artillery became advanced. There are modes of transportation that run on oil. Unlike in the past that we used horses. Music is now played even if the actual singer of the song is not present. How wonderful. I saw this world transition from a simple one to this complexity.

Even though a very long time has passed since I saw Soojung, I didn’t lose hope that I would see her again. But knowing that I’m now trapped in this country, there is a slim chance that I would see her. It would be a strong of luck if I meet her here. The thought of meeting her gives me strength to go on. I need to stay healthy and keep away from danger that could kill me. Yes, I’m immortal and I do not age. But that’s it. I can catch diseases that could kill me. I could be killed by being stabbed, shot and the likes. I need to survive for her. For my Soojung.

 

-----------------------------

 

I’m just sitting near the docks today, waiting for the fishermen to arrive so that I could get my breakfast. The air is humid and traces of the rainfall earlier left its tracks. But the sun is ready to greet the world, shedding its radiant light across the eternal sky. Painting it orange as if a divine painter is creating his masterpiece right before my eyes. This world is beautiful, but it would be more beautiful is she is with me.

“Soojung… If you’re here… I wish you could see what I’m seeing right now.” I think as I watch the sun peeks out.

Wherever she is… I know that whenever I look up the sky, we are sharing the same scenery. We share the same sky. I miss her so much. It’s like I’m dying every day because she isn’t here with me. I couldn’t visit her grave since I can’t travel that far anymore. In the past, I would always visit and talk to her as if she is listening. I know that she’s listening wherever she is. I know that she is the soft gentle breeze that cradles me every night. She is the sweet scent of flowers that I would always smell. She never left me. She is with me… In my heart. My body might someday fade but the soul never forgets.

My train of thought snaps as I hear the motor of the boats approaching. I stand and run towards the fishermen. One of them sees me and waves at me.

“There you are! I thought you weren’t going to show up, boy! Come here and help us unload!” The man says.

I help them unload the fishes and transport it to their pickup trucks to be delivered at the market in exchange for a few fish. It’s nearing midday when we finished and safely delivered the fish. Beads of sweat rolling down my face and my arms sore because of all the hard work. But if this is the means I have to do to survive. I would gladly do it. The man who waved at me earlier hands me a small bag full of fish.

“You earned it, boy.” He grins at me.

“Thank you.” I bow to him.

“I always see you at the docks every morning ‘till evening. Isn’t your family looking for you? ” He asks.

“No. I’m all alone, sir. No family so I don’t have a home either.” I say.

“Hah! Why don’t you just stay at my house then? My wife will be happy to have you in our family. Since we need an extra pair of hands around since she’s pregnant and I’m always out at sea. How’s that sound?” He offers me.

This isn’t the first time that someone offers me to join them. But I still hesitate. I don’t want to impose.

“If it’s not a burden to you, sir. Then I would oblige.” I say. The same words I said to Soojung when she offered me to stay with her in her final years many lifetimes before.

“Nah! It’s fine, I tell you!” He says, laughing.

“What’s your name eh, boy?” He asks.

“I’m Amber, sir.” I reply.

“Amber? Ain’t that a girl’s name? You have a girly name.” He says, chuckling.

“Because I am a girl, sir.” I say.

“What? Are you sure? Whoa.” He says, taken aback by what I said.

“It’s okay, sir. I get that a lot.” I say, scratching the back of my head.

“Hah! But you sure are strong for a girl. Yeah. Stop calling me sir and call me Yunho instead eh?” He says as he pats my back.

“Now let’s go home. I’ll introduce you to my wife.” He says.

I follow him to his truck and ride shotgun. We ride through the country side until the seas turned into fields. We arrive in front of a small house in a small town in the middle of the fields. I get off the truck and look around. I see the clear sky above me. The vast mountains towering from afar. The rice fields stretches on and on. The small town however is covered in trees which gives the small town a lot of shade, so the heat could barely be felt. Children are running around, playing while their mothers chat with each other not far from them. Some men are carrying water, doing carpentry and others. Some women are seen doing the laundry and hanging the clothes on the clothesline. It’s a simple provincial setting. Yunho and I go inside his house and I see a woman by the terrace donning maternity clothes and while sewing a baby blanket  while humming a soft tune. A tune that I already heard before.  My heart fastened its pace. Could it be…?

“Sooyeon. We’re here.” Yunho calls out to the woman.

The woman looks at us and smiles. Those eyes… Those cat-like eyes… But it isn’t her. The smile is different. She looks different. But those eyes… Those are my princess’ eyes. Could it be that she has already lived and this woman before me is her offspring? Did I arrive too late?

“Welcome home. And who is that young man behind you, Yunho?” She asks.

“Ah! Honey, this is Amber. And she isn’t a young man. Haha! She’ll be with us from now on, helping around the house.” Yunho introduces me to his wife as he pats my back.

“Oh! That’s good! It’s nice to meet you, Amber. Welcome to our family. I’m sorry if I mistook you for a boy.” She says, giving me an apologetic smile.

“It’s fine, ma’am. Thank you for having me here.” I say as I bow to her.

“Oh my! What a polite one. I feel that you’re a good person, Amber. And call me unnie okay? Or you prefer noona?” She laughs. She laughs like her…

“Okay… Noona.” I crack a smile.

We all laugh and that moment, I know now how it feels like to have a family. The couple gladly accepted me in their family. A complete stranger like me. I would be forever grateful .

I spend my days with Sooyeon, helping her with the chores around the house and making sure that she doesn’t do anything that could put her and her baby in danger while Yunho is out at sea. I rarely help out at the docks since Sooyeon needs me more at home. Day by day, she reminds me of Soojung. How the commanding aura resonates from her whenever she asks me to do something. It’s the same how Soojung asks me to do something in the past. She is very kind and frequently asks me if I’m alright with what I’m doing for her. I would always tell her that I’m happy that I am of help to them. She cooks the best food that I have ever tasted. I think I’m going to get fat while I’m staying with them. Every afternoon she asks me to accompany her at the back yard to watch the sun set as it hides behind the mountains.

 

-----------------------------

 

Like as always, I accompany her today outside.  It’s been months since I moved in with them and Sooyeon is now in her final month of pregnancy. Meaning the baby could be born any day. We walk out the terrace leading to the back yard. They have a vegetable garden on one side and a flower garden on the other. Both of these remind me of the old Soojung I lived with. The back yard has a light brown picket fence that has a small gate leading to the field. Outside by the gate, we sit at a bench nearby.

“The sunset is extra beautiful today don’t you think?” Sooyeon says, caressing her bloated abdomen.

“I think… Every sunset is extra beautiful.” I reply, smiling.

“You’re right.” She says as she looks and smiles at me.

Whenever she looks at me, it’s like seeing my princess in front of me. I would see that I protect this woman. If she really is Soojung’s offspring, I would take care of her like how I took care of Soojung. We look at the retreating sun, cherishing the light it gives before the night takes over the sky. The gentle breeze caressing us and the scent of flowers envelop us.

“Soojung? Is that you? Look… I found a woman that is just like you. You have the same eyes. But hey, you’ll always be my princess, okay? Come back to me soon...”  I thought.

My attention turned to Sooyeon when I heard her grunt.

“What happened?” I ask with worry.

“My stomach hurts… It hurts.” She says, wincing in pain.

“Oh no… The baby. The baby is coming.” I say wide eyed.

She nods, her face grimaced in obvious pain. I help her up and hastly but carefully guided her inside the house. I hear the pickup truck park in front. Yunho is just in time.

“Yunho! Get the midwife! Hurry!” I scream at him as he opens the door.

His eyes went wide when he saw me half carrying his wife to their room with a painful expression on her face.

“The baby’s coming?” He asks bluntly.

“No! She just ate too much… Of course the baby’s coming! What are you standing there for?! Go get the midwife!” I screamed at him with sarcasm.

“A-alright! I’ll be back very soon!” He says as he runs out.

I take Sooyeon into their room and help her lie down the bed. I could see that she really is in pain now.  She keeps grunting and muffling her screams. I could see her tears forming and beads of sweat on her forehead.

“You’re going to be okay… Yunho is going to be back soon. Stay strong, noona.” I say as I hold her hand.

She looks at me and nods. Her eyes show her pain and fear. Suddenly, I remember what happened to Soojung the last time I saw her. Is this how her eyes looked like when she was being attacked by those bandits? The thought tears me up. My heart aches as I remember. I look down, hiding my eyes.

“Hey… Why are you crying? Don’t… I’m going to be fine.” Sooyeon says, giving my hand a light squeeze.

I look at her and she gives me an assuring smile. She really does remind me of Soojung. Yes.. She is definitely going to be okay.

“Yeah…”I say, smiling back.

I hear the door open and I see Yunho enter with the midwife behind him. I look at Sooyeon and give her hand a gentle squeeze before going.

“Thank you…” She says to me.

I look back at her and wish her safety. The midwife orders Yunho and I to step out of the room. While outside, Yunho couldn’t stop pacing. Beads of sweat rolling down his face as he waits anxiously. I’m just sitting by the door, praying for Sooyeon and her baby’s safety. I flinch whenever I hear her scream. They say that pregnancy is so painful that it’s like all of your bones are breaking at the same time. I hear her pain and determination with every scream. Suddenly, we hear a baby’s cry and silence from Sooyeon. My head perks up and Yunho stops pacing. The door opens and the midwife looks grim. No…

“Come…” She says meekly.

We enter the room and see Sooyeon with her eyes closed and the crying baby beside her. Sooyeon’s breathing is very shallow. My heart pounds, fearing for the worst. Yunho goes to his wife’s side and caresses her hair.

“Honey… Thank you.” Yunho says.

“No… It’s me who should thank you. And Amber. You know that I love you both… My family.” She says, looking very weak and her breathing becomes rugged.

She looks at me and gives me a warm smile.

“We have our little girl.” She adds as she the baby beside her.

“What are we going to name her?” Yunho asks, tears forming his eyes. He knows what’s going to happen to his wife.

Sooyeon smiles and looks at the baby wrapped in white cloth beside her.

“… Soojung.” She manages to croak out before giving her last breath.

My heart stops. Soojung… The baby’s name is Soojung. That’s why Sooyeon has her eyes. She is going to be the mother of my princess. I’m finally just in time. But… Sooyeon died giving birth to her. Tears start to fall from my eyes. Yunho is now sobbing beside his wife’s body. Sooyeon… She’s gone too soon. She wouldn’t see her daughter grow up into a beautiful woman. She wouldn’t experience how wonderful her daughter is. I cry for I lost someone close to me. Whom in a brief time became like a sister to me. Her death gave way to new life.

 

-----------------------------

 

The funeral takes place a day after Sooyeon died and gave birth to Soojung. Now here we are at the cemetery. Saying our final goodbyes to her. Yunho is beside me, crying his heart out. I understand his pain. Having to lose someone you truly love is the most painful thing in the world. I should know for I have experienced it two times already and up to this day, I still feel the pain. We say our final goodbyes to her as her coffin is being lowered six feet into the ground.

“Goodbye, Sooyeon-noona. Thank you for everything. I’ll miss you. I promise that I will take care and protect you daughter with my life.” I say as I cry while looking at her grave.

Yunho pats my back as he wipes away his tears which are constantly flowing. I let him cry his heart out after the funeral. We spend an hour more in front of Sooyeon’s grave. Yunho just keeps on crying. Suddenly, the baby in my arms began to cry as well.

“Shhh… Princess. Don’t cry. Your mommy’s watching you from above. Don’t be sad. She loves you the most.” I say to her as I gently rock her to sleep.

She finally falls asleep. She’s wrapped in the baby clothes and blanket that Sooyeon made for her while she’s pregnant with her.

“Soojung… My princess… I promise to protect and love you all my life. I wouldn’t let anything take you this time. I love you.” I think as I look lovingly at the child sleeping peacefully in my arms.

I look on the retreating sun. It’s like what Sooyeon and I did every afternoon when she was still alive. I promised her that I would take care and protect her daughter with my life. A promise that I would keep for all eternity.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another chapter up! Sorry if this took long. I don't know where to go with the story. Yeah I know. There isn't much kryber here. I'm sorry. Please tell me what you think. Comments, suggestions and viloent reactions are welcome. ^^