Chapter 3: Promise

They Can't Control Us II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Huh? You don’t need me today?” I was getting ready for work when a confusing phone call was made to me. “Okay, I’ll come in tomorrow then.” I shut off the phone and stared at it. When does the hospital not need nurses? Injuries don’t take a break so why am I told that they didn’t need my presence?

“What happened?” Him Chan asked while walking out of the kitchen.

I stared at my phone and went to sit down at the couch. “The hospital called…they didn’t need me today.” My tone was filled with confusion. “Do hospitals ever do that?” I questioned Him Chan.

He laughed and took a seat beside me. “I guess yours do.”

I shrugged. “What am I going to do now?”

Him Chan placed an arm around my shoulders. “Relax. Let’s hang out together.”

I gave him a questioning look. “Us? Hang out together?”

“What? You don’t want to?”

“I think you’re quite boring.” I .

He laughed obnoxiously. “So I guess you don’t want to visit Halmeoni’s restaurant today.”

That definitely perked my interest. “Oh my God, can we go?” I asked him childishly. It had been a while since I last visited her.

***

“Halmeoni!” I called out as I walked into the restaurant. I thought I was loud but the bustling restaurant probably drowned out my voice. I walked in until I saw her cashing out someone. She finally looked up and beamed at our appearance. She pointed out a table and we walked over to it to take a seat.

“Ya! Na Ri! I was wondering when you would finally show your face.” She was already scolding me before she got to our table.

I laughed. “I got a day off so Him Chan took me here.”

She turned and eyed the man. “Geez you really know how to pick them. Is Yong Guk not satisfying you?”

“Halmeoni!”

She laughed and Him Chan laughed along with her. “I have better taste Halmeoni, I’m Him Chan.” She shook his hand and I held myself back from strangling him. She looked up at the TV hanging in the corner. “Hey, look, your boyfriend.” I looked at where she pointed and saw Mr. Bang answering some questions at some press conference. I smiled on proudly.

“Hey everybody!” She stood up and called everyone’s attention. I stared at her in surprise. “This girl right here – “ She pointed at me. “ – is dating that man!”  She pointed at the TV screen and I placed my hand over my face to cover myself. How embarrassing! Him Chan continued to laugh beside me. Maybe I shouldn’t have come here after all. “And I know her!” She yelled and the whole restaurant erupted in laughter and claps.

I pulled her down. “Halmeoni, please.”

“What are you being shy for?” Why does she have so much energy for? “You better get used to it, you’re dating a man that everyone knows.” She used her finger to push my forehead back.

“I came here for food not the attention Halmeoni.” I stated and grabbed the menus from her.

“Fine, fine.” She laughed. “Be ready to cry.”

“Why?” Him Chan looked up at her from his menu.

She smirked. “Because it’s just that good.”

***

“I think I’m going to cry.” Him Chan stated in between bites. I looked around the table and saw all the things he ordered. We can always come back but he acted like it was going to be the last time we were going to be here…and the last time he was going to ever eat.

“You’re ridiculous.” I snorted. I had expected this from Daehyun, not Him Chan.

“Can I take her home with me?” Him Chan asked. “I don’t think I can eat just anything after getting a taste of this.”

I laughed. I can’t believe this was the same guy I had met a year earlier. I would have never thought he would be someone like this underneath all that mean and cold exterior. “Him Chan, we can come back anytime. We don’t need to resort to kidnapping.” I joked and he glared while slurping his noodles. I didn’t want to give him any ideas knowing what he was capable of but it left my lips before I could stop it.

“I have never meant someone so ungrateful.”

I smiled at his comment and happily ate my own food.

*Author’s POV*

“What did I say?” Yong Guk watches as Jung Woo walks into his office.

Jung Woo only grins. “You told me not to call you to the station, you didn’t say anything about me coming to your company.”

“What’s the damn difference?” Yong Guk sighs and dismisses his workers from the office. He’s like a freaking magnet for stubborn mules. It was already tiring enough to take care of the one at home. “What was so important that you had to come see me instead of u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter