Chapter 22: Longing

They Can't Control Us II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been a long while since the boys last stepped into this place. The last time they were here, it was the time before Na Ri was taken and before the boys went into hiding. And now, they could finally show their presences. There was no more hiding behind shadows. There was no fear that kept them away. 

Though the looks they receive while walking through the club still remained unwelcoming, it didn’t bother them one bit knowing that these people wouldn’t dare to do anything against them. 

Well, this reaction is all due to the backing of Kim Suk Yang.

They had gain some sort of a small foothold now in the underworld all thanks to this very man.

But, at a heavy price.

A price that each one of them have pushed to the back of their minds so that they wouldn’t have to think about it. 

With a cap placed securely on his head, Yong Guk led the other boys through Kkum to find Kim Suk Yang, with the exception of Chin Ho, it didn’t matter how much he begged, he was never coming along. They maneuvered through the people and met up at the spot where they were fto ind and meet up with the man.

“You guys made it.” The said man was sitting leisurely with his underlings surrounding the area. He never travelled light. Always making sure he had enough men at his disposal just in case when an occasion would arise where they would be needed. 

Unbeknownst to them, there were other people who weren’t in Suk Yang’s camp. 

“So, the rumors held some truth.” One of the other guests that was present, spoke out.

The boys take a seat and kept to themselves. They were here but it didn’t mean they needed to dig themselves back deeper into this world. There was one reason and one reason only to explain their involvement with such people. 

“So, how did this partnership come up?” The man continued to ask and again, Yong Guk doesn’t bother to be the one that replies.

“Well, I was thinking.” Suk Yang begins. A few days ago, he was very against getting involved with a man that had a deadly target on his back, but then, he smartly thought about it. Having Yong Guk on his side may make him enemies and the target of others but the benefits he will reap makes it all completely worth it. And it wasn’t like there was real friendship or allies in the underground. That’s all for show, when the going gets tough, it’s everyone for themselves anyway. So, what is he exactly losing with Yong Guk on his side? Nothing, he concluded. “Why waste good talent?” Suk Yang asks with a sly smile.

Right now, Suk Yang has total control over Yong Guk. It was already confirmed that Yong Guk is a desperate man. There is something out there that makes throwing away his freedom and values worth it, so in this state, it was easy to have him wrapped around Suk Yang’s finger. And, this man has valuable information that would only help Suk Yang in many different ways.

“You’re going to make an enemy of many people, Suk Yang.” The man continues before bringing the glass up to his lips to take a drink. “Not many people are happy with Yong Guk.” He quickly adds after.

“Why? He’s no longer a threat to us.” Suk Yang reasons. But, if Yong Guk needed to be, under Suk Yang’s order, he will be. 

Yong Guk sat still, bored with the substance of the conversation. This talk between Suk Yang and the other men was none of his concern. If it meant sitting through idle chit chat to save Na Ri and Daehyun, then Yong Guk will do so without complaint. 

A year ago, Yong Guk would have never imagined being in this spot. Having his company gone, going into hiding, his friend and love, kidnapped again, and working with the very people he worked hard putting away in prison - Yong Guk would have never guessed this was how his future would looked like.

But, he was the foolish one. Thinking that he could live normal life with Na Ri. Assuming that there would be no obstacles or trouble that lied ahead of them. He is terribly foolish. Why did he even promise Na Ri an ordinary life? He should have known that if she were to choose him. To choose to love him, that kind of life is impossible. 

Yong Guk glances around until he caught sight of Sae Ryun on the other side of the room. 

Yong Guk had promised to stay out of Sae Ryun’s way. For now, there was no friendship between them. It’s better that people didn’t find out about the different links Yong Guk had. 

The man stiffens in his spot by the bar having met Yong Guk’s eyes. He really couldn’t say anything since it was his plan that Yong Guk get involved with some influential underground bosses. But, he couldn’t quite believe that Yong Guk could pull it off. He had some doubts but he knew Yong Guk must have promised Suk Yang something in exchange for their ‘friendship’. 

“Uncle.” Hanhae appears beside him. “Did you see who walked in?”

Sae Ryun nods towards the spot where Yong Guk and the others were. “You talking about them?”

“He actually did it.” Hanhae mumbles. “Doesn’t make me hate him any less though.” He leaned back against the counter. The club was busy with all the dealers from the different groups of gangs. And, to no surprise, everyone’s attention was on Yong Guk and his boys. “Wouldn’t it be fun, if a fight breaks out?” Hanhae smirks. 

Breaking eye contact from Sae Ryun, Yong Guk focused back to Suk Yang. 

Out of nowhere, someone flew from the side and roughly grabbed Yong Guk by the front of his sweatshirt. Yong Guk was pulled to his feet while he calmly looked at the attacker. “Let go.”

His boys reacted but Yong Guk places his arm out, wordlessly telling them to stay back.

“You remember me?” The man gritted his teeth as he clutched tighter on Yong Guk’s clothing. 

Yong Guk eyed the man. He was a man in his thirties with a prominent scar running down the left side of his face.  “Did I put you into prison?” Yong Guk blatantly asked. Even if he wanted to, he wouldn’t be able to remember all the people that he placed behind bars anyways. There was too many to count and too many faces to keep in his memory. 

“You also left me with this.” He motioned at the scar. “Remember now?” 

Yong Guk doesn’t bother replying instead, in one quick movement, he had the man’s head pinned on top of the table with one of his hands. With his other hand, he bent the man’s arm behind his back. “I don’t need to remember and if you’re trying to seek revenge - you’re wasting your time.”

The man gritted his teeth in anger. “You’ll pay for it.” He involuntarily cries out in pain as Yong Guk bent his arm further. 

“You’re going after the wrong person, Ho Su.” Suk Yang says from the side. “If you mess with him, you’re messing with me, got it?” 

Yong Guk releases the man’s arm and steps back.

Ho Su pants heavily before pushing himself back on his feet. “This isn’t over.”

“Ho Su, if I were you, I’d disappear.” Suk Yang sends another warning when the man doesn’t leave. 

Suk Yang chuckled from where he sat when Ho Su gave Yong Guk one last glare before leaving the area. Yong Guk stays standing there and one of the men beside Suk Yang leaned over. His voice not heard by the others due to the music.

“Can he be trusted?”

“Of course. Yong Guk is one of my men now.” Suk Yang says as his eyes remain on the said man. “Like I said, he is no longer a threat. He’s one of us.”

“Word has spread and people are keeping an eye on you.” Suk Yang’s acquaintance continues. “They’re picking sides.”

“You see -“ Suk Yang begins speaking as he places his drink glass on the table. “I’m the side you want to be on.”

Yong Guk’s attention is temporarily pulled away as he felt his phone buzzing. He couldn’t afford to miss any calls with the situation they are in and hurriedly pulls out his phone. At the quick glance, he already

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter