Chapter 25: Run

They Can't Control Us II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My fingers were starting to get sore as I continued to twist them over and over again. Jae Ho exact words – the same words that have put me into such a gut-wrenching position – were that ‘it was happening tonight’. I don’t know how he knew but I didn’t bother to question him. I didn’t need to. Maybe it was due to my desire to hurry and get out of this damn place.

My room was pitch black as I sat at the edge of the bed. It wasn’t my bed because it never belonged to me. If I used such a possession term, it would mean that this was rightfully my place when in fact, I was forced here. 

My mind drift back to the conversation between Jae Ho and I and his other words to me were to sit and wait. He didn’t add any more details after that. 

So, here I am sitting and waiting.

Even in the dark, my eyes blindly stared in the door’s direction. My eyes focused on the small opening slit at the bottom of the door, where a bit of light from the brightly lit hallway can come through.

I didn’t know what this might lead to but I was ready for it this time. It was finally time for this place to cease to exist and for the girls to finally be freed. And, I wasn’t going to wait anymore. 

I’ve been patient enough. 

For someone like me, it was awfully true.

My body jolted as the constant light was disrupted by the dark footsteps. It would happen often with Gi Bum’s men keeping watch but it made my heart skip a beat each time nonetheless.

And when I thought it was a false alarm again, quicker and numerous footsteps travelled down the hallway immediately after. 

This was it.

Despite Jae Ho’s orders for me to stay put, I was going to defy them. My body itched to hurry and do anything to get out of this place. And, such orders to get me to sit still and wait, wasn’t in my plans. 

I gently pushed myself up on my feet and moved silently across the bedroom’s floor over to the door. Leaning my head against the cold wood, I listened for any signs of others present near my location.

When my ears were met with silence, I twisted the doorknob slowly and opened the door wide enough for me to peek out. I moved out into the hallway, my steps were only light tappings as I was sure to not be loud enough to disturb anyone close by. I looked over my shoulder often to make sure there wasn’t another figure walking through the hallways.

I didn’t quite know where this sudden confidence came from…. but it had nothing to do with the small gun placed in the banding of my pants. The thought of it was enough to make my heart beat even faster and I told myself that despite Jae Ho’s words, if I didn’t want to use it, I wouldn’t need it. 

I have never travelled down this hallway by myself and this new experience didn’t go unnoticed by me and it was probably due to this foreign feeling that I couldn’t get myself to calm down from. All my senses felt heightened in response to the high level of danger. I tried my best to stay alert, relying on my ears and my eyes to remain hidden from the rest of the people in the building.

Without completely knowing, I suddenly find myself running down the hallway. It wasn’t until I reached a certain turn did I feel my body suddenly thrown and shoved against the opposite wall. The sudden blunt force weakened my legs and I fell flat on the ground.

A small cry left my lips as my throbbing body tried to adjust to the pain. 

“I feel really insulted.”

I looked up and met eyes with the one person I wanted to avoid.

Gi Bum.

Out of everyone I could have possibly run into, it was him that I had to meet.

Without waiting for a response from me, he sends another forceful kick against the side of my waist. My back hits the wall and Gi Bum ignores my painful whimpers. “Who do you think you are?” He snarled. 

I couldn’t even breathe, let alone speak to him and so Gi Bum went on.

He crouched down and roughly lifted my face so he could meet my eyes.

“You all look down on me too much.” His voice softens as if he was speaking to a child. “Do you have any idea how much power I have? How many people I have under my command? And how easily I could make your life miserable?”

“Why don’t you tell me about it?” I croaked as soon I found my voice again. 

A short laugh left his lips. 

“You want to be together with Bang Yong Guk again?” He asked tauntingly. “I can make it so that will never happen. You want to see him again? I will do everything in my power to not allow it…do you see where I’m going with this?”

“He’s here. We will leave together.” I stared up at him. My eyes strong as I spoke those unwavering words.

“Then I will do everything that I can to stop it.” He answers.

But, there was no time for my response because the next thing I knew, Gi Bum was held down upon the ground, struggling against the hold he was suddenly placed in.

My mind reeled at the unexpected surprise. I stared in shock at the turn of events.

“Na Ri, run.” Jae Ho rushes to tell me. His arms and body was busy holding down Gi Bum’s own limbs and figure. But, I couldn’t get my body to obey his words.

“Jae Ho?” Gi Bum exclaims in disbelief and his movements ceases for the moment. It didn’t take him long to realize what was going on. “You’re the mole?” 

“Na Ri, leave!” Jae Ho ignores Gi Bum’s question and urges me on.

I forced myself onto my feet and quickly moved to leave them behind. I ran from the scene and couldn’t help but look over my shoulder. Watching them vanish from my view as I turned the corner.

The last thing I wanted to do was to leave Jae Ho by himself back there, not especially when he has been

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter