Smile [3/3]

Monkey ❤ Fishy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You don’t need that thing.”

“I need it.”

Hyukjae hastily stopped his boyfriend’s hand from reaching the packet on the shelf.

“No, you don’t.”

“I need it.”

“You don’t need it, Hae.”

Donghae snatched his hand away and grabbed the plastic bag nonetheless before walking off in the direction of the counter. Hyukjae heaved a sigh before following him. Donghae was in a snappy mood today.

After paying for the purchase, Donghae immediately removed the packaging and slipped it on his face. Hooking the elastic bands over his ears, he then walked out of the drugstore without even giving Hyukjae a backward glance.

Hyukjae figured the brunette wasn’t having a good day and decided not to bother him too much. Instead he lagged a few steps behind, thinking about all the possibilities of why Donghae suddenly insisted on wearing a mask everywhere he went. The sessions with Leeteuk only just started nearly a month ago and if he remembered clearly never heard anything requiring the younger to don a mask or anything of the sort. Just what was his boyfriend trying to do?

 

* * *

 

Hyukjae watched from afar Donghae going through his daily routine at school, making sure he wasn’t getting bullied too much. The brunette was still stubborn as ever refusing to let Hyukjae accompany him during school hours so he usually watched from the sides. Donghae, with a baby blue mask covering his nose and mouth, probably looked cuter and even more adorable than usual, but Hyukjae still couldn’t for the life of his own understand why he did what he did. He balled his fists when he  realized one too many random people ‘accidentally’ bumping into Donghae while they went about, especially when he saw the person who made his boyfriend’s books scatter about in the hallway last two weeks. Siwon, if he wasn’t mistaken. The jock’s face had already been permanently etched into Hyukjae’s blacklist ever since.

The moment Siwon and his gang began walking closer to Donghae, Hyukjae began to panic. He knew Donghae could stand up for himself if he wanted to, but it didn’t make him feel less anxious because Donghae preferred keeping things to himself and would most likely kowtow to the more muscular jock just to avoid fighting.

“Hey guys look, the zombie is stinking up the hallways again. And he’s wearing a mask, too!!”

“Did his lower face get chewed off by another zombie?”

“No, he’s just finally realized how ugly he looks.”

“Why didn’t he like, get a gas mask instead? I can still see his face.”

“Oh my gosh he still looks awful. I’ve seen toads prettier than him.”

At least Donghae pretended not to hear anything and continued walking. But Siwon wasn’t to be ignored and cornered the brunette to the wall with a sinister laugh. Hyukjae could feel his blood boil watching the jocks spilling his books and ripping the mask off Donghae’s face. He couldn’t take it any longer.

“HEY!! Stop that!!”

Before anyone could even register anything, Hyukjae had already delivered a swift kick at Siwon’s stomach before pulling Donghae out of there. The books still lay scattered on the floor but Hyukjae couldn’t care less. By the time the jock came to his senses the couple was already gone.

“Who the freak was that?”

“Lee Hyukjae.”

Siwon just shook his head in amusement as a smirk crept up his lips.

“I’d never guess the Casanova would have feelings for a zombie.”

 

* * *

 

“Why did you do that?”

Donghae asked the first thing when they both reached their safe haven on the school rooftop. Hyukjae still hadn’t let go of him arm yet and it was starting to hurt.

“Let me go.”

Hyukjae loosened his grip but still held on to his arm. His eyes were ablaze. He knew he probably shouldn’t have kicked the guy in the stomach but he just couldn’t help it. He was mad, and Siwon was asking for it anyway.

“This is why you should let me accompany you to classes or anywhere else. I don’t like seeing people picking on you and lately many of them seem to be doing just that. Just why won’t you let me be with you in school? Are you really that insecure of yourself that you feel ashamed of me being your boyfriend? Answer me, Lee Donghae!!”

“Let me go.”

Hyukjae was frustrated beyond belief. He just could not comprehend Donghae’s way of thinking sometimes. Reluctantly, he let go of the brunette’s arm.

“Tell me. Why?”

Donghae gave him one last look before turning on his heels to walk away. Hyukjae stared at his retreating back and hung his head in defeat. He didn’t catch the few words Donghae softly muttered to himself.

“Because I really don’t deserve you.”

 

* * *

 

Hyukjae went over to Donghae’s apartment to apologize later that evening but nobody answered the door even after ringing the bell for ten minutes straight. He knew his boyfriend was home because the lights were on. He could even sense the brunette’s nervous breathing from the couch in the living room. Figuring Donghae wasn’t in the mood to see anyone at the moment, Hyukjae simply left his apology chocolates at the doorstep with a note attached.

Just in case Donghae finally decided to open the door.

 

* * *

 

Months passed peacefully without anymore incidents or run-in with the jocks. (Hyukjae was absolutely surprised to hear weeks after the last incident that Kyuhyun was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter