Façade [3/5]

Monkey ❤ Fishy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyung.

 

 

The next day, Hyukjae arrived at the mansion to find Lee Teuk waiting for him. He hadn’t really expected the billionaire to be there, so Hyukjae self-consciously brushed down his simple polo tee and casual jeans, hoping that he was looking at least decent enough for the businessman. After all, he thought, what was the point of dressing up nice if all he really did for the day was just clean, clean and clean?

“Good morning, Hyukjae-sshi.”

“Ahh, good morning sir. I didn’t expect you to be home today. I’m sorry if I was late,” Hyukjae said, bowing ninety degrees to Lee Teuk.

“No, you’re not late. I just had something I wanted to show you that I realized I forgot yesterday,” the man answered, leading Hyukjae upstairs to the tiny door Hyoyeon once told him to be aware of. “I believe you don’t know what’s in here yet, am I right?”

Hyukjae shook his head. “She refused to tell me what was in there.”

Lee Teuk chuckled and gestured towards the handle. “Open it.”

The young man stared at Lee Teuk in surprise. “Open it? Won’t it set off alarms so much if anyone else but you touched it?”

Chuckling in response, the businessman urged Hyukjae to open it nonetheless. “It won’t. I only tell that to the staff so they wouldn’t peek at it. Nothing will happen, I promise you.”

“Why are you telling me this, then?”

“Because, oddly enough I trust you more than the others even though I barely know you. Perhaps it’s just my guttural instincts,” the older replied, pushing the door open and beckoning for Hyukjae to follow him into the room. “Now be careful. This place is protected by lasers. Don’t simply move around if you don’t want to be decapitated.”

Hyukjae immediately stopped in his steps and exhaled slowly, eyes wide at the warning. The room looked fairly normal to him, but upon closer inspection he realized the tiny laser detectors situated nearly throughout the room.

At the end of the long, narrow room was a small bonsai-like tree sitting gracefully on a podium, with a spotlight shining down on it. Hyukjae’s jaw dropped when he saw the tiny tree actually bearing gold fruits. The golden light reflecting off the fruits’ smooth and shiny surface was proof enough. The rest of the tree was pretty normal though; with green leaves and grayish brown branches.

“W-what is this?” he gasped, itching to go nearer but the billionaire’s warning was still fresh in his head. “Is that real gold?”

“Yes, it is,” Lee Teuk answered, proudly. “I founded my company with all the money my baby produced. This is the reason why I’ll never ever go broke, as long as my most precious possession is safe and healthy.”

“How—why—where did you find this?” Hyukjae exclaimed, still finding it hard to believe what he was seeing.

“That’s a secret,” Lee Teuk grinned, clapping his hands together and ushering Hyukjae out of the room. “Alright, you’ve seen enough. I trust you to keep this secret to yourself, no?” he asked, peering intensely at the slightly shocked young man, who nodded warily on instinct. “Keep an eye out for burglars though. I’ve had a couple of break-ins last month even with all the tight security. Not many people know about the tree but the few who do know about it have been trying to get their hands on it ever since.”

“Why do you trust me, of all people? For all you know, I might be interested in your golden tree too,” Hyukjae frowned, wondering if the break-ins were because the billionaire trusted people too easily.

“I don’t trust too easily. I just can read you like a book, and I know you’re dependable. Why would you think I hired you on the spot a few days ago to look after Donghae?”

Hyukjae wasn’t exactly fully convinced but nevertheless promised Lee Teuk to also watch out for anyone suspicious lurking around. He knew some basic martial arts skills after all, but still he hoped that he wouldn’t have to use them anytime soon.

 

* * *

 

“Yah old man, where did you place my favourite pair of lucky socks?”

Hyukjae rolled his eyes and ignored Donghae’s whiny voice floating into the bathroom where he was currently working at. He couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw another small pile of rubber toys (two ducks, three fishes and a frog—seriously?) floating in the middle of a soapy, slippery bathtub which probably hadn’t been drained in days (unless the icy-cold water temperature simply meant Donghae loved freezing in his bath). He probably shouldn’t even think about whether or not Donghae had been having his bath for the past few days – yuck!!

He dragged another garbage bag full of empty bottles and soaked toilet paper (Hyukjae swore there were at least four to five rolls of paper in there) out of the bathroom, making his way to the bedroom where the whiny brat was belly-flopped on the bedspreads (which of course, by now were all creased and crumpled up). To his major relief the room wasn’t too messy yet, with only a couple of shirts and pants strewn about the floor and a messed up pile of DVDs spilled onto the floor. Hyukjae got rid of the garbage bag before picking up the items on the floor and placing them back where they belonged.

Donghae never stopped whining throughout the day and Hyukjae was getting a little sick of it.

“For goodness sake, Donghae, stop whining like a brat and at least come help me with the cleaning!! You’re friggin twenty-six already so why don’t you start acting like one?” Hyukjae chided, once he had absolutely enough of the younger’s pitiful whines.

“Yahhh stupid old man, who told you I’m twenty-six?” Donghae snapped, getting Hyukjae’s attention immediately.

“You’re not?”

“Do I seriously look that old to you??!!”

“… not exactly?”

“Stupid old man,” Donghae grumbled, pulling off the bedcovers as he got up so that all the pillows, bolsters, blankets, soft toys and cushions landed on the floor, making the elder yell in protest. He pushed Hyukjae, who was crouched over the DVD pile to the ground and straddled him, nearly sitting on his stomach. “I’m only twenty-two!! Get that right, you stupid old man.”

“Aishh, get off me you kid!! Why don’t you start showing respect to your elders then, seeing as you’re actually four years younger than me??”

Donghae pushed Hyukjae’s shoulders nearer to the ground until the latter was totally lying on the ground. “Nope. Because I don’t like it.”

“Get. Off. Me.”

“No.”

“Don’t force me.”

“Ooh I’m so scared, what are you gonna do, old man? Nag me to death?”

“Lee Donghae.”

“Lalalala…”

“Lee. Freaking. Donghae.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter