All of the World

No Air

Jieun stumbled on her way up the steps to Hyosung's house. Well not a house, more like a mansion. She never felt big at Hyosung's place. The front of the mansion was like a maze made out of shrubs and beautiful flowers. Jieun would slither through like a snake in a forest. She felt utterly small. With a deep breath, she pressed the doorbell.

"Could you be any slower?" Hyosung chuckled and pulled Jieun in the house. She followed Hyosung to her room. The stairs seemed to spiral on forever.

"So where were you yesterday? I was gonna ask you to hang out!" Hyosung flopped on her bed and kicked her slippers off.

"Another guy wants to see you." Jieun felt even smaller saying this. It was always the first thing she says every time they spent time together. In her defense, Hyosung was super pretty and rich so it wasn't her fault.

"Oh, Jieun. You always say that, but when are you gonna actually let me meet one?" Hyosung rolled her eyes and shook her head. Jieun pursed her lips.

"They just want your money." Jieun protested. Hyosung looked up at the ceiling.

"Let's make a deal. I'll go on one date with this guy. If it works out, then it works out, but if not, then I'll leave my love life to you." Hyosung smiled while saying this. Jieun had to admit, Hyosung was a charm speaker. She could persuade almost everyone to do anything.

"Alright." Jieun sighed. She just hoped Jongin wouldn't screw up so Hyosung could finally have someone worthy of her.

"Let's go shopping." Hyosung had this look in her eyes and it wasn't innocent.

bird_divider.gif

Jieun waited for Hyosung to get out of the ladies's restroom. The food court wasn't a lonely place, but it was too packed. It was probably because of Hyosung's charm that they got an empty, clean table. Suddenly somone pulled out the chair in front of her and sat down.

"Nice to see you here." Jieun rolled her eyes. Don't boys ever get tired of chasing money? Jongin looked at her hungrily.

"Look, Hyosung's not interested and-" Jieun's sentence was cut off.

"Jieun! Sorry I took so long...oh, who's this?" Hyosung stared at Jongin curisouly. Jieun gritted her teeth. They ran into each other. What are the odds..

"He's no one you need to know." Jieun glared at Jongin. Jongin gave her that annoying, snide smile that he gave her the day before.

"She hasn't told you about me? I asked her yesterday if she could set us up for a date, but she rudely rejected. I doubt she asked for your opinion though." Jongin said to Hyosung, who just giggled at this.

"Well, I would love to go on a date with you." Hyosung smiled.

"That's great." Jongin wiggled his eyebrows at Jieun. "I'll meet you here tomorrow at 12." With that, he left. Jieun sighed. She wanted to shove a cactus down his esophagus. Hyosung nudged Jieun, signaling an 'I'm sorry.'

bird_divider.gif

"Am I your chauffeur for the day?" Daehyun chuckled. Jieun surpressed a smile and nodded.

"But think of it as going for a ride!" Jieun pumped her fist in the air. Daehyun chuckled and shook his head.

All they did was spend a day at the park, which wasn't anything special, but it was special to Jieun. She clung on to every second she had with Daehyun, not wanting it to go to waste. They chased ducks, ate ice cream, and played on the playground. Soon it was near curfew time. Jieun sat on the seat by the fountain, Daehyun sat next to her.

"There are no stars tonight." Jieun frowned, "That's a bummer."

"I don't know why girls admire stars so much. They're just a bunch of lights." Daehyun scratched his head in confusion. Jieun smiled.

"They lighten up the dark. And they're just wonderful." Jieun gazed up at the black sky with a single moon.

"What does it feel like," Jieun asked and face Daehyun, "to be rich, goodlooking, and never needing anyone or anything?"

Daehyun's eyes widen at this question. It was so unexpected of Jieun to ask such a question. He pulled her face close to his so their noses touched.

"Everything I like about me...is you." Daehyun slowly whispered. Jieun felt her heart beat faster. Her eyes locked onto his.

"I know what I saw last time, and I'm sure this isn't a trick of the light because there is no light." Jieun said out of nowhere. "You have blue specks in your eyes."

With that, her heart pace returned to normal.