Mark of Iris

No Air

The platform door opened and passengers spilled out to their daily business. After that, the door shut again and the subway made its way through the tunnel. Jieun stared longingly after it, her hair swaying as the subway disappeared into darkness. It wasn't like staring, it was more like a gaze in which could go on forever. She held that gaze, even when the tunnel was dark and empty. After blinking several times, Jieun decided it was time to walk away.

Jieun does know a thing about walking away, actually, she knows a lot about walking away. It was the hardest thing to do. Every morning she watches the subway ride through the darkness and walk away from it. Jieun straightened out her skirt and and stood up tall, walking down the steps, out of the subway station. Waiting for a taxi to come by, she stood and pouted at the ground. Suddenly, she felt a tap on her back.

"You don't have to waste your money on the taxi everyday like this." It was a man who had spoken. Jieun shifted in her place. Daehyun always found a way to surprise her during the most unexpected times. She gave him a warm hug and smiled.

"You're dressing nice today..." Jieun tried surpressing a smile, but it was difficult. What was she saying? Of course, Daehyun dressed nice everyday. With that face, you could wear clothes from the thrift shop and still look like someone out of a magazine. 

Daehyun smiled, "Yeah, I have..business." He looked uncomfortable for a moment but then coughed. She followed him to a nearby cafe, where he parked his car and sat in the front seat. She turned her head to look at him. He leaned in. She her stomach did somersaults, but then he reached for the seat belt and buckled it for her. Jieun frowned and felt disappointed. Daehyun noticed this.

"What's with the sad face? You don't like the seat belt?" Daehyun chuckled and patted her head. Jieun immediately fixed her hair after his hand left her head. It was a typical Jieun thing. She always had to look good in front of Daehyun, it was a definite given. She suddenly felt self conscious of the way she looked. Did her shoe not match her top? Did Daehyun not like her outfit right now? Maybe she should've let her hair loose instead of tying it?

"You're awfully quiet today." Jieun face Daehyun again, but he wasn't looking at her. His eyes were locked on the road, controling the steering wheel.

"Do you like how I look today?" Jieun instantly felt stupid for asking such a ridiculous question out of the blue. The corners of Daehyun's lip twisted up into a smile. The car made its way into the park lot and Daehyun turned the keys and took them out. He slowly turned his head towards her and leaned in to her. 

His lips where her ear was, he whispered, "You look like my Jieun, all day, everyday."

She felt breathing pace hitch. He had said she was his. She turned to look at him. They were nose to nose now. Suddenly she noticed something peculiar about Daehyun. His eyes had blue spots in the brown. Funny, she never noticed it before. And she noticed a lot about Daehyun.

"I never knew you had blue specks in your eyes..." Daehyun quickly moved away and looked away. As much as she hated to ruin the moment, it was hard not to mention.

"Blue specks? No...you must be mistaken." Daehyun turned to face her again. Jieun pulled his face closer to hers. The blue specks were gone.

"B-but...I saw it!" Jieun protested. 

"It must've been a trick of the light." Daehyun smiled and unbuckled her seat belt. "Go to school! Hurry or you'll be late!"

Jieun quickly opened the door and jumped out. Daehyun waved, backed out of the parking space and drove away. Jieun stood there, wondering what had just happened. She knew what she saw. Daehyun's brown eyes had grown blue specks in them and it had disappeared.

"But it wasn't a trick of the light..." Jieun's whisper was carried through the wind.