The Smile that was Meant for Her

He Likes My Best Friend?

Hana didn't expect it, his concentration and dedication in listening to her. She wanted to frown, and just leave him there, in the library, but she couldn't. Hana had said it herself, that she was going to help her crush get Gaeul. She was going to keep her word and try until the end. 

After sitting down in the library chairs, Minho had pulled out a piece of blank paper, along with a black-ink pen and a red pen as well. He seemed flustered, and rather shy, making Hana even more heartbroken. She shook her head, feeling depressed won't help her. 

"Hana-ssi, can you tell me what type of stuff Gaeul-ssi likes?" Minho clicked on the black-ink pen. He looked into Hana's eyes and saw mixes of emotion. She quickly looked down to her lap, and bit her lip. 

Hana needed to think, her mind was jumbled, and she started to list the things Gaeul liked in her head beforehand.

"Gaeul doesn't seem like it, but she's rather picky, so if you want to give her gifts, please choose carefully.." Minho nodded his head. Hana heard a few scribbles on his paper and he looked back up at her. Smiling, she began to resume her listing.

"Gaeul likes warm colors. Anything that seems sweet and peaceful, like light pink or a light blue, mixed with some green. Gaeul likes to wear dresses and one-pieces, and she likes bows also. Stuffed animals always light her face up, and she likes sweets, chocolate especially. She's not fond of dark chocolate, and really likes to eat cakes." Hana smiled as she talked about Gaeul. They were different in many ways, almost complete opposites. But no matter what, they still loved each other. 

Hana looked up from her lap to see Minho writing the things she talked about, neatly on the piece of paper. The way he concentrated made butterflies flutter in the pit of her stomach. His eyes were focused, and he bit his bottom lip, making Hana also bite her own. She still couldn't deny it, she still liked the guy sitting right across her. 

"What does Gaeul-ssi dislike?" His scribbling arrupted to a sudden stop. And looking up, Hana nodded her head and thought of the things to say to the good-looking boy she sat across from.

Hana cleared , suddenly feeling a little quenched, "Gaeul doesn't like to participate in sports or anything physically tiring. She despises to watch horror movies, and anything scary overall actually. So don't try spooking up to her or anything, Gaeul is a scratcher.."

A slight snicker was heard, and Hana smiled back to Minho, who held a fist to his mouth. They both looked up to each other and chuckled quietly, not wanting to disturb the other students. Shortly after the little laughter, Hana started to resume what she had said.

"Gaeul doesn't actually like to eat vegetables, like carrots or broccoli. Which reminds me, Gaeul loves to eat meat! If you plan on taking her out, you should go to the nearby restaurant near here (the school), they have spectacular food." Hana rubbed her neck shyly. Maybe, there was a chance for her to move on. Gaeul is a sweet girl, there wasn't any way in where Hana could have taken a chance to talk to Minho like she is now. 

But the smiles he had on his face were not meant for her.... But for Gaeul. 

Hana quickly scolded herself. A frown quickly formed on her face, she wanted to help, but she hated it too. Questions ran in her head, and she was overwhelmed by the what she was saying. 

Suddenly her mind went into a complete stop, and she stood up from her seat harshly. Hana bit her lip once again, it was a habit of hers to do so, and bowed and apology to Minho.

She knew that she couldn't take it. She should have never said anything to him. Hana thought that she could make it until the end, but she couldn't. 

"I need to leave, sorry." Hana quickly grabbed her stuff. She slid her instruments back onto her body, and walked out of the library door clumsily. 

Only after a few miles from the school did she collapse down and whimper. Her body felt numb from the weight, and her heart was shriveled up and broken. Hana sighed, a few tears slid down her cheek. She ran her hand through her hair messily before she decided to wipe her salty tears. She sat on the edge of the sidewalk, not wanting to move, or to either care if people were to pass by and look at her. She hugged her body, turning into a small ball, and felt the nice breeze she felt when her best friend walked to school with her that morning. 

Her instruments were no longer hanging from her body, but placed neatly by her side, not wanting to feel the painful aching again. Hana pouted, she didn't want to act like this in the first place. The only thing she heard were the sounds of her sniffle and nearby foot steps. She didn't dare move; it wasn't as if anyone would care for a girl like her anyways. 

Hana didn't look towards the walking person. Instead, she huddled closer to the edge of the sidewalk and hugged her body even tighter. "What if he hates me?" She softly whispered to herself. 

"Hana, is that you?" A voice yelled out. 

Hana her lips, not wanting to look up and see the familiar face she would see. She felt a hand slide up to her cheek, and as if it stung, she harshly pulled her head away. 

She felt the male crouch down as he took a hold of her chin, forcing her to look up at his face. More and more, she felt regret, and tears started to slip out once again. She didn't want to let anyone see her like this, in such a pathetic state. She saw the frown and worried eyes on his face. And almost desperately, he wiped away her tears with the sleeve of his shirt. 

"D-Don't.." Hana croaked. She wanted for him to release her, but his grip, which was firm, held her face in place until he was done drying her face. Gently, he released his grip and trailed his hands towards her cheek, rubbing it softly.

"Here, come with me." He quickly grabbed her stuff. His hand was then stretched out, and Hana, who was trembling, took it weakly and sniffled. 

"Jonghyun-oppa, it's okay. I can walk by myself." Hana whispered. Their footsteps slightly echoed as they made their way towards a tall building. 

"You were crying Hana, how could I just leave you?" His voice was filled with worry. Hana pouted, and headed towards the building as Jonghyun lead her in. She was unsure at where she was, but followed Jonghyun, as he still had his hand tightly coiled around her own. They headed towards a door, and she quickly saw that the two were in an apartment building. 

Jonghyun then pressed in the code for the room, and turned the doorknob, inviting Hana to come in first. She gently pushed the door wider, and decided to take off her shoes, and put them on the shelf near the entrance of the door. Jonghyun also did the same, and then placed Hana's instruments and school-bag next to the shelf. Jonghyun then grabbed ahold of her hand once again and led her towards the sofa in his living room. There, Hana quietly sat on the rather comfortable seat, and looked down at her lap, which had Jonghyun's hand and her own on top of it. She knew that he wouldn't let go, and she didn't want to fight about it. 

"Hana, what brings you here?" A surprised voice said. Hana's eyes widened and she looked towards the direction of the voice. Her grip on Jonghyun's hand tightened, and he gave a reassuring squeeze back.

"J-Jinki-oppa, you two.." Hana looked at Jonghyun. He shrugged and nodded his head.

"All five of us actually..." 

"...I see..." 

"Were you crying Hana?" Onew ran to her side. Slightly surprised, Hana backed away slightly, and Onew moved back, embarrassed of his actions and cleared his throat.

"I found her like this, Hyung." Jonghyun rubbed her back. Hana looked back at Onew, and scooted closer. Her voice was weak, but was audible.

"I fell on the sidewalk...." Hana lied. She clenched her fist, and gulped. But she knew that the lie was not believable, as Onew began looking for scrapes or sights of blood. 

"Don't lie Hana. We know why you're like this." Onew pat her head. He took a seat next to Jonghyun, and they both looked at her, worried and sorrowful. She shook her head, denying that they knew, and looked the other direction. She prevented her tears to fall by biting her lips, the taste of revolting blood filled her tongue. 

"It's Minho, isn't it? We knew... that he liked Gaeul-ssi. And later then, we found out that..." Jonghyun's voice trailed off. He didn't want to say anymore, knowing that Hana probably finished his sentence in her mind. 

She looked towards the two boys, her hand being released from the warmth of the other, and sniffled. They saw her bleeding lip, and urgently, Jonghyun went to get a box of tissues. He wiped it gently, but Hana took the tissue herself shortly after, and held it to her torn skin. There was silence after that, making everything rather calm. 

But it wasn't for long that the silence was broken.

"Hyung, I heard the door open. Is that Hana-noona?" Hana saw Taemin rub his eyes. He probably woke up from a nap, as his hair was also ruffled, and his voice slightly weak. Hana waved her hand, and Taemin decided to sit beside her. 

"What is with all this noi- Hana?" Key ran towards her and shook her.

"What's wrong, honey? You know what, don't even answer. Did someone hit you? I'll hit the sh-"

"Key! Don't." Onew shook his head. Key nodded his head, and headed towards the kitchen. He came back with a cup of water and gave it to Hana, who drank it in big gulps. She gave him the cup, and he walked to the sink, and set it in there gently. 

"Hon, it's Minho, isn't it?"