The Feelings She Can't Give

He Likes My Best Friend?

The moment Hana stepped out of the bathroom, the bell had rung, and she quickly headed towards class. Hana scurried away quickly, into the opposite direction of where they ate lunch, and avoided the sea of people headed towards her way. Having gone to this school for quite a while, Hana was used to the crowds and avoided them almost perfectly. She didn't mind the blob that was quickly spread out when she arrived towards class. 

Hana slipped her hand on the handle, and opened the door silently. A few people turned their heads to see who came in, but no one really cared or paid attention. Hana smiled awkwardly and bowed her head towards her fellow classmates before she walked towards her desk. Hana set her school-bag down and placed it towards her left side. She was glad that the seat was by the window, so that when she was bored, Hana could peer over at the people who had class outside: Physical Education students. But for today, and probably so on, Hana would not want to look. She was scared. 

Minho was in that period. 

Hana sighed and turned her eyes to the other direction and looked around the classroom. The teacher was not in his desk, or even in the classroom, and the board had messy handwriting on it that said 'Study Period'. The bored girl sighed and took out her textbook for the class, and began to write down notes. 

Language Arts was essential to your everyday-life. And so, Hana decided to focus and jot down a few notes on her piece of paper. 

"Done," Hana whispered. She didn't want to disrupt the class, and quietly put away her notes and placed it gently in her school-bag. Hana thought about today's homework assignments, but there didn't seem to be any homework for her tonight. Finishing them in class, Hana didn't know what to do, and decided to stare out the window.

"Wait a minute..." Hana scrunched her eyebrows and turned away from the windows. She tapped her fingers on the desk, her face red and flustered. The moment she turned away from the window, her hand covered the left side of her face as she let out a frustrated sigh. She felt a blush creep up onto her face, but she also felt a sense of shame and guilt. 

After her sudden outburst, Hana couldn't take the courage to talk to Minho, and apologize for what she horribly did. She felt bad, and it saddened her to see the look on his face. It was as if she put the blame on him. Her hand traveled to her temples, rubbing them firmly as she felt a light headache. The classroom was quiet; with only a few murmurs here and there. 

Not one person seemed to do their work, it was either that or they finished. Hana took another glance at the classroom. The students around her looked bored, dull, and sleepy. Some students even had there head down on their desk, most likely taking a nap, with some even snoring. A slight chuckle came out of Hana's mouth, and she smiled. Her hand quickly covered and she looked outside the window.

Big mistake.

The moment she turned her head and uncovered , a slightly small figure was standing idly by, looking straight into the classroom window. Hana's eyes widened. She saw a slight smile on his face, and she bowed her head slightly. His hand was raised in the air; he waved quickly. Hana bit her lip, and waved back as well, slowly. She smiled sadly, and he seemed to notice. As soon as they stopped their waving fest, the male student quickly pointed his thumb towards the direction of the soccer game they were playing. Bewildered, Hana tilted her head, and heard a whistle ring. She turned her head more to the side, got into a comfortable position, and propped her hand on her cheek. She saw the game start, and focused her eyes on his team and the opposing team as well.

The moment the offense kicked the ball to their team mate, the game officially started, and the tension tightened. The team Hana was quickly focused on the most was working hard, The opposing team did also. And within five minutes of the game, each of the teams have already scored two goals. It was a tie, making Hana frustrated to the extent in where she attempted to bite her nails. The game was energetic and very active. 

"Go Minho-ssi.." She quietly whispered.


Minho's breaths were ragged and uneven. Sweat dribbled down his neck, and he was thrown a towel from one of his team mates. 

"Great game today, Minho!" The opposing team captain smiled. They both shook hands, each of them smiling brightly. Although the score was a tie, which made Minho a bit antsy, the game was played well.

"No problem," Minho wiped his neck. The day just started to get hot, and the sun was shining brightly at that time. Everyone had started to go to the locker rooms and change once their games were done, and when the weather felt even worse.

"Who were you waving to over there?" A hand was put on his shoulder. Minho gave a shrug, and smiled sadly.

"A friend.. Just a friend."

"Ooh, I see. It's a girl isn't it? Going to ask her out later?" His team mate asked excitedly.

"No. More of an apology, I guess." Minho quickly ran to the locker rooms. He didn't want to talk about it. To tell you the truth, he was baffled and mad at the same time. He felt guilty for not knowing that he liked her, but he didn't know what to do about that. Right now, and that time during lunch, they both looked at each other. 

Minho didn't want for this to continue, and now that Gaeul has gone a bit loony, he was scared that something else might as well happen to himself too. Taemin and the Hyungs also think that it would be a good idea to act happy, and pretend that it had never happened. But when she confessed and called him a jerk, he couldn't help it but feel just the tiniest smudge of joy in his heart. Happy about the confession, yes, but about calling him a jerk? He felt as if he needed and deserved that.

As soon as Minho made eye contact with Hana, he immediately wanted to let go of the problem, and act happy. And after playing an intense game, he knew that she would've liked it. At times, he would even waver and look back at her; the image of her biting her nails in suspense made him laugh. He shook his head, remembering the game, and went back to changing into his normal clothes.


"I'm sorry!"

"Hana-ssi?"

He grabbed ahold of her carefully, his hands were placed at the side of her shoulders. His grip was firm, yet gentle. Hana's heart raced when she felt as if she almost collided on the cold, hard ground. Luckily, a special person was there to help and save her. 

The atmosphere around them felt awkward, so Minho pulled his hands away and scratched the back of his neck shyly. Hana had also backed away and unconsciously moved her hair to the side of her ear when it covered her face. They both stood infront of each other, waiting for the other to talk or make a sudden move.

Hana was embarrassed. Being clumsy was never her thing, and she had been thinking of the guy that stood in front of her! Slightly nervous, Hana shifted in her spot and suddenly bowed deeply. 

"I'm sorry Minho-ssi! For what happened on that day, I'm so sorry!" Hana closed her eyes shut. Minho was speechless, and he chuckled a bit. The moment she bowed was the moment he was going to apologize. Hana, who was alarmed by his laughter, looked back up with curious and nervous eyes.

"W-What's so funny?"

"Hana-ssi, the only thing we say to each other is sorry.." His voice then turned firm and rather serious. The girl bit her lip, it was right. Everything they ever said would always somehow end in an: 'I'm sorry'. Hana sighed and nodded her head, her face looked at the ground, feeling sad. But a sudden slight of pressure made her look up. Minho had patted her head, the smile on his face showing guilt and sadness. Hana pouted, the tears threatening to come out of her eyes.

"So let's start over, huh?" Hana nodded.

"My name's Choi Minho. And what may yours be, my friend?" His brow rose. Hana let out a slight laugh, and saw his hand reached for hers. They shook each other's gently, with Hana's stomach filled with butterflies.

"My name is Yoon Hana, nice to meet you, Minho-ssi."

"That's Minho to you." Hana's head tilted. 

"We're friends aren't we?" Minho laughed. He patted her head once more and left her standing by the entrance.

Her hand touched the place he patted her on, the presence of his hand still felt comforting.

Yep, we're just friends..