The Best Friend that went Overboard

He Likes My Best Friend?

Hana woke up that morning with puffy red eyes. None of the males in the apartment seemed to be awake and Hana rubbed her eyes. She scolded herself as she remembered her conversation with Minho that late night. Sighing, Hana pulled the blanket off her body, and tip-toed off to the bathroom to wash off. 

The sounds of snoring alarmed her at first, but getting used to it, she rolled her eyes and chuckled. Her hand trailed to the handle of the bathroom door and she gently opened it, not wanting to wake anyone up. 

'Hana, here's a toothbrush!'

'I washed your uniform, so you can leave when you want to.'

'I sneaked out and bought some girl shampoo, so that you can shower. Didn't know what scent you liked, so I just took a random one.'

Hana smiled as she saw the sticky notes stuck to the wall, and the mirror. It seemed as if Key had bought and took care of her stuff while she was sleeping. "You do so much for me..." Hana yawned. She took the toothbrush and put the toothpaste on and started to brush her teeth. 

Key was such a mom!


After changing back into her uniform and packing her stuff, Hana quickly, and quietly, left the apartment without mentioning a word. Although the weight of the instruments, along with her stuffy school-bag were heavy, her body was feeling light and she no longer felt the feeling of sadness in her body. 

Still, she couldn't shake the thought of what happened last night. Her cheeks began to brighten and she quickly tried to push her thoughts away in the back of her mind. Hana, the flustered girl, then began to think about Gaeul, who she is heading towards right now after changing and setting her stuff done the second she reaches her house.

Hana was rather glad that the five guys lived near her, and looked towards the many familiar houses she saw as she walked towards her own. The neighborhood was still and quiet. Since the morning is still early, no one would really be waking up since it's the weekend. The weather was rather cold, with the sun not shining as brightly as when people would normally wake up. 

The birds and cars were the only things that were heard. On a day like this, a majority of the people would rather stay in their house than go outside. 

Hana's steps were pacing faster and faster as she neared her own house, and the moment she opened the door, she fell down with a 'plop!' She took her shoes off lazily and dragged her body towards her room to put away the instruments. Rather than just placing then on the ground, sprawled all over the place, Hana quietly pushed them next to her bed, and quickly shut the door. Her hands trailed to her neck to massage a certain irritated area, and she let out a relaxed sigh.

Even if there was anyone in the house, Hana decided to stay quiet and walked into the kitchen to prepare herself a little breakfast before she would leave to go to Gaeul's house. The matter was to heavy, and Hana wanted to confess everything that has happened.

"Well hello there!" Hana's eyes widened. Her heart beat faster, and she quickly let out a yelp.

"Who are yo- Holy, Gaeul, you scared me! Don't do that!" Gaeul started to laugh out loud. She held a hand to her stomach, and the other was placed near her eyes to stop the tears. Her feet thrashed around on the couch she was sitting on, and Hana was not pleased. She tapped her foot impatiently on the wooden floor, and waited for Gaeul to be quiet.

"Are you done yet?" A light hiss was heard from Hana's voice.

"Y-Yeah, s-sorry, you should've seen your face!" Gaeul blurted inbetween laughs. Hana shook her head and sighed, letting out a brief and light chuckle. Maybe she didn't have to go to Gaeul's anymore! Hana took a seat next to Gaeul, thinking that Gaeul probably snuck out of her house and just came through the front door. Since Hana never locks her house...

"I gotta find that house key." Hana added in.

"I rejected him." Hana looked up at Gaeul. She was clenching her fists, holding tightly onto her shirt. Hana bit her lip, and placed a reassuring hand on Gaeul's shoulder.

"I know."

"Is that why you told me that you wanted to give up?" Gaeul sighed. They looked up at each other and Hana nodded. Tears started to well up in Gaeul's eyes, and Hana could hear the gasps she tried to hold in.

"Gaeul! Don't cry! You know it's not like that, it's not your fault! It's mine.."

"Well it's not your either!" Gaeul wiped her tears. She pouted, and Hana frowned. She walked to her room, and grabbed a few pieces of tissue paper, knowing that Gaeul would stop crying shortly.

And gladly, she took the tissues, and wiped her eyes.

"I knew that you like him, so much too, and so when he asked me out. I got really mad. I almost screamed out the you like him." 

"R-Really?" Hana stuttered.

"Of course! He even got me presents, and all of them were things that I liked."

"We kinda talked.." Hana rubbed her neck in embarrassment.

"I figured that out during lunch."

"Oh, go figure."

They both sat down, holding each other's hands. They each comforted one another, laughing on occasion when Gaeul decided to perk up and tease Hana just like before. The two best friends also talked about everything else: the confession, staying over at the guys', and what happened between Minho and Hana that night. They each apologized, even when not needed, and decided to sit for a couple of more minutes until each of them dowsed off.


"I hate Mondays!" Gaeul yelled out. The two best friends were walking to school together hand-in-hand with new, refreshing looks on their faces. After the rather up-lifting conversation on Saturday, they each decided to start anew. 

Hana smiled and agreed to Gaeul's angry remark. The two both stretched their arms out in the air, and sighed. The week was just starting and the weather felt nice and breezy, unlike the past two days. Hana breathed in the fresh air, and heaved out heavily. She placed her hands on her hips and looked towards Gaeul.

"Gaeul and Hana, fighting!" Gaeul smiled at Hana's silly saying.

"Yeah, fighting!" The both of them raised their fists in the air. 

"Who are you two to do 'fighting!' without me?" A yell came from behind. The two girls, who glanced at each other, quickly turned around and gasped. They saw the five shining boys run towards them, with Hana quickly hiding behind Gaeul's back. Gaeul laughed and shook her head, seeing Hana in such a shy state made her want to push Hana into the small group. But being best friends, Gaeul knew that Hana was still upset about the situation, and needed to heal and rest. 

"Fighting!" Onew yelled out. The two girls chuckled, with Hana in the back. Her cheeks were tinted light pink, and the boys looked at her curiously when she held onto Gaeul's arm.

"Wait, why are we 'fighting!'?" Onew quickly asked. He glanced toward the two girls and bowed, forgetting to greet each other, and turned his face back to a questioning look.

"For a new week!" Gaeul answered. Onew looked at her confusingly, but nodded quickly after once he found out the answer. The four other boys, who looked confused, exchanged glances and shrugged their shoulders.

"You should have said goodbye when you left, Hana!" A arm wrapped around her shoulder. It gave her a reassuring squeeze, and Hana timidly leaned on the male's shoulder. They quickly released when the atmosphere became unusually tense.

"Yah! Hana's mine!" Gaeul quickly pulled Hana to her side and stuck her tongue out playfully. Hana shook her head, out of her shy state, and flicked Gaeul forehead softly.

"Come on, let's just walk to school." Hana said. She tugged Gaeul's arm gently and was dragged along clumsily.

The group lagging slightly behind looked at one another, shrugged, and also walked on casually.


Gaeul hugged Hana tighter and tighter. Hana felt as if she were being squeezed by a snake, and tried to pry Gaeul off her body. Yet, Gaeul showed no signs of letting go. Hana let out a slight painful groan, and Gaeul, who apologized, was hit in the shoulder firmly.

"Can you stop?" Hana hissed. Gaeul winced and ribbed her arm gently. Hana shook her head and put her hands on her hips, hoping that Gaeul could stop this madness. The five, dashing boys had been looking the entire time, but Gaeul wouldn't budge and tell why she was clinging so much to Hana today.

"I just want to protect you!" She whined. She made a pout, wanting to seem cute, but got the opposite response she wanted. Gaeul huffed and released her deathly hug on Hana, making her adjust her body since her shoulders started to tense up.

"From what? Does it look like ninjas are going to come flying from the bushed and stabbing up with their swords?" Hana flailed her hands vigourously. 

"No! That's impossible Hana! Plus, I'm protecting you from him!" Gaeul pointed to the boy nearby. He was eating lunch and laughing with his friends as he, as Hana knew, felt uncomfortable as Gaeul made faces towards him. 

"We're eating lunch together! Besides, he didn't do anything to me."

"Yeah... Except break your heart!" Gaeul took the chance to flail her arms also. Hana sighed, throughout the whole school day, Gaeul had been making Hana keep a distance from the five boys, actually just Minho, making Hana go crazy because Gaeul keeps clinging onto her. All day, Hana had been itching to talk to Key, wanting to thank him, and as well as the others when they decided to comfort her. 

And when Gaeul shouted out 'break your heart' the boys all turned to look at her, and made glances saying that she should be quiet or Minho would ask questions and nag like he always does when he's curious.

"What do mean by 'break your heart'? Is that part of a song?" Minho asked. He chewed on his food as he waited for an answer. The six remaining people looked into each other's eyes and secretly scolded Gaeul. But Gaeul couldn't put up with it any longer, she stood up and walked towards the curious boy.

"Yeah! It's part of a song! You know what song it is? It's: Choi Minho, You Broke Han-"

"ACHOO!" A loud sneeze sounded out. Hana sighed, her chest heaving up and down heavily. Her face was bright red from the frustrations embarrassment. The moment Gaeul opened , Hana needed to stop her, but luckily, Taemin's nose stopped her from saying anything, since the focus was now him.

"Sorry," Taemin scratched his nose. Key turned to rub Taemin's shoulder, soothing him, and looked towards Gaeul disappointingly. Gaeul also look back at Key, not backing down on what she almost said.

"I'm sorry, I broke what?" Minho rose a hand towards his ear. He looked at her curiously. He bit his lips, and wanted to hear an answer.

"Do you still like me?"

"W-What?"

"Gaeul, what are you doing?" Hana shook Gaeul's hand.

"Well, can I have an answer?" Gaeul tapped her foot.

"I'm leaving.." Hana her lips. She packed her bag clumsily and heard Gaeul's shouting, and Key's as well. She didn't want to hear it; she didn't want to know or even think about the whole topic. Her heart still beat fast for him when he walks by, when he smiles, when he looks happy. Hana knew that Minho still liked Gaeul, she saw it on his face, a pink tinge when she asked the question.

Hana clenched on her school-bag, hearing running footsteps that seemed louder and louder when she knew it came closer. The tears didn't fall down her face, as she didn't have the energy to cry, and she didn't bother looking back. 

Instead, she ran faster and faster, until a hand caught on her wrist and pulled her towards it.