Of All the Girls... Why the Best Friend?

He Likes My Best Friend?

Hana and Gaeul have known each other ever since they were tiny toddlers. They did everything together, and were well known to be very close to each other. Being the best of friends, they would occasionally have their fights and giggles, but in the end, they were always seen to be smiling together. 

It was as if nothing broke them apart. 

And while walking to school one day, they both looked up to the sky and laughed. The weather was breezy; it was a rather nice day to walk to school together. Being neighbors, they would always walk, side by side, to school, which was also nearby. If you were from a far distance, you could hear the girls giggling, but when their mouths move, it was as if only the two girls could hear one another. 

"So, have you tried talking to him before?" Gaeul questioned. Their voices were like a whisper.

"We've said 'Hi' a few times, but that's it. I don't think I can talk to him." Hana's voice wavered. Gaeul then frowned and threw a playful punch on Hana's shoulder. They looked at each other for a second, and then burst into a fit of laughter. It was always like this: to fight for something so stupid, then make up only seconds later. Their hands rested on their chest, so that the breathing would calm, and they walked at their normal pace again. 

"Who ever knew that you could like a guy so much?" Gaeul smiled. A small snort was heard, and Gaeul looked to her side to see her best friend turning red. Her cheeks slowly felt hotter and hotter, and while blushing, Gaeul patted Hana's back. 

"Don't worry Hana, Choi Minho will recognize you one day." Gaeul said. She showed a soft smile, and her motherly aura slowly came into place. Hana gave Gaeul a smile, showing that there might be hope.

Or not...


"Can you repeat that again?" Hana whispered.

The first class of the day was to start in twenty minutes. And when a gentle hand stopped her, at the moment she tried to step into the classroom, Hana stopped and was left alone to talk to him. 

It was the first time she had ever had a conversation with him, yet, it left her heartbroken.

After saying their polite 'Hi's and bowing, they exchanged rather calm looks at one another. At first, Hana was in utter bliss after knowing that the guy she likes would want to talk to her. But after a few minutes of silence, it seemed off, and uncomfortable. Hana bit her lips shyly, and looked at her shoes, until the soft 'excuse me' was heard from his voice. 

Hana had lifted her heard quickly, to let him know that she had been waiting for him to talk. But when he did, she felt as if he said the craziest words.

"I like Gaeul-ssi, so is it okay for Hana-ssi to help me?" He requested. His tone was serious, yet light and polite. It made her feel happy, but at the same time, she felt despair.

Gaeul? As in Park Gaeul, her best friend? Hana felt as if she heard him say the wrong thing, but Hana moved her eyes to look towards his. 

There were no longer butterflies in her stomach, and the gentle smile on her face seemed distorted. Hana held her hands together, and fiddled with them nervously. 

"I'll try my best, Minho-ssi." Hana nodded. 

It broke her heart to see such a happy look on his face. His smile made her happy enough.

"As long as Minho-ssi is happy." She muttered. Minho, who didn't seem to hear her sentence, gently pulled her into a hug. 

Honestly, it surprised Hana, but it was only because she was helping him, right? If she had denied his request, then he would've never talked to her after this day. 

"Thank you so much. Let's meet together at the library after school." He smiled. 

And with a nod, they both separated their ways. Hana clenched her school-bag tightly, she wanted to fight the tears that were threatening to pour out. She quietly shuffled to her seat, almost bumping into Gaeul, and sat down, trying to look as joyful as possible. But she knew that it wouldn't work with Gaeul, they have known each other long enough to figure each other out. Gaeul sat down in the desk beside Hana, who looked off and into space. 

Gaeul waved her hands in front of Hana, who snapped back into reality. Gaeul knew that it wasn't like Hana to waver and space out, and so a look of worry was planted on her face.

"So, did Choi Minho ask you out?" Gaeul asked. She tried to lighten up the mood, and was curious, since she saw them talking a few minutes ago. Hana then shook her head, and sighed. She propped her elbow on her desk and leaned her face onto the palm of her hand. Gaeul, who was confused, tilted her head and thought of other things to say.

"Then what did you two talk about?" 

"Oh, he just told me stuff..." Hana mumbled.

"What stuff?" Gaeul's eyebrows rose up. Hana shrugged, and left Gaeul speechless. There was something definitely wrong with her best friend, no doubt about it. Gaeul felt even more worried then before. But before she could ask another question, the bell had rang, and she had to get back to her original seat, which was on the other side of the classroom.

Once the lesson started, they were both thinking, not even bothering to pay attention to the lesson the teacher spoke about. Gaeul wondered about the two people's conversation, while Hana pondered about if she should tell Gaeul about her situation. They were both in a tight pinch, each of them needed to figure out their problems, and were secretly struggling by themselves.

Hana knew that Gaeul wasn't interested in anybody at the moment. Even love, Hana only heard Gaeul talking about love when she about Choi Minho. If only he knew.... No! 

He couldn't, Hana had already agreed about helping him out with Gaeul, but what would happen if she failed? Gaeul already knows that Hana likes him. A disappointing thought ran in Hana's mind. The thought of moving on scared her, but she would do it for the sake of Minho's own love. 


"What in the world did you just say?"

"I want myself to be happy, and I want Minho to be happy. So I'm moving on, Gaeul." Hana smiled. They were on their way to the cafeteria to buy food until Hana's sudden statement made Gaeul flinch. 

"What do you mean by wanting to make Minho happy?"

"I can't keep hanging on him. My one-sided love isn't going to be recognized. If I want him to be happy, then that means I'm moving on right?" Hana said. Her voice was straightforward and strange. The tone of Hana's voice scared Gaeul, what in the world made Hana like this?

"Did Minho do something to you Hana? Did he hurt your feelings?" The two both stood in one spot. Hana shook her head, and began walking to the cafeteria once again. Gaeul, baffled, lagged behind quietly. 

The minute they bought their food, Gaeul and Hana walked towards a nearby table with their friends, also his friends. They were warmly invited to the table, and smiled to the five boys. They all exchanged greetings, and sat down quietly to eat. 

"It's been a while since we've seen you Minho! With all that soccer practice, you couldn't sit with us and the girls once this school year!" A cheerful voice laughed. Minho nodded and agreed, patting Jonghyun's back as part of a 'thank you for welcoming me back' gift. He also did it to his other friends, whom he hasn't seen for a long period of time. Minho, at that time, also looked surprised to see the two girls sit and eat along with his friends.

Since the beginning of the school year, the four boys had closely began to bond with the two girls, and later became close friends, leaving Minho speechless.

His friends should have at least told him about it, since he also likes one of the girls. Slightly grumpy, he comfortably ate his food, while the others were having a conversation with the girls. Minho secretly wanted to join also, but knowing that it would be rude to interrupt, he decided to eat all his food first, and join them later. 

"Did you see the school's Music Performance last night? The ticket fee was expensive, but it was worth it!" Key shouted. 

"Yeah, we were there! I wasted all my money, but it was 100% worth it! I got to see Hana perform!" Gaeul replied back. They were already done with their food, and Minho began to eat just a tad bit faster than before.

"You're in the school's music band?" Onew questioned.

Hana nodded, "I play the Flute, but I changed to Bass Clarinet and regular Clarinet during the performance, so I had to switch seats may times. I was mostly in the back too."

"Oh that's why we didn't see you!" Jonghyun also chimed in.

"Wait, there was a Music Performance last night? Why didn't anyone tell me?" Taemin raised his brow. The three males shook their head..

"We called you like ten times last night, but you never picked your phone!" Key yelled. He grabbed Taemin's phone from out of his backpack, and saw a total of 10 missed calls, each, from the three members. 

"Oops, I forgot. I was playing video games.." 

"Taemin, you know that playing games is going to rot that potato-head brain of yours!" 

"I wanted to beat the last level... I feel asleep though. Haha, oops!" Taemin recieved a flick to the forehead, and decided to nibble on what was left of his lunch. Key smiled victoriously while Jonghyun and Onew started to laugh. Being the youngest must have been hard.

"Hana-ssi, don't forget about after school!" Minho suddenly spoke. He had finished his lunch, and as the silence started to form, he then decided to remind Hana of their appointment. Hana looked up, her eyes showing little emotion, and nodded with a smile.

"You're not talking as much today, Hana, you okay?" Onew nudged her should gently. 

"I'm fine Jinki-oppa, don't worry. I'm just a little tired, that's all." Hana replied back.

A sudden burst of the bell sounded, and the students all separated to different ways.


The school library was quite peaceful. The only sound that was heard was the flipping of the pages the books had. Hana had walked in with three of her instrument cases. Her flute was lightly clenched in her right hand, with her clarinet in the left. The Bass Clarinet was hanging on her back, like a guitar case, since she had a strap. The weight killed her, since she also had to carry her backpack along as well. She winced with every step, not wanting to disturb the students who were focusing on books, or were studying. 

She quickly looked around to recognize a certain face, but she didn't see him. Hana sighed tiredly, not wanting to take another step. She might as well just drop dead on the floor right there. 

"Gosh, Hana-ssi, do you need help?" Hana heard a voice from behind her. She whimpered beggingly, and he took the Bass Clarinet and Flute from her hands and body. Smiling, she thanked him deeply and they both headed towards a table where no one sat. Everyone needed their own privacy.

After placing the instruments near the chair's leg beside him, Minho slid in and waited for Hana to get ready. 

"So let's begin." Minho smiled.


Author's Notes: Hello! This is KimmieYoonYoon with her first ever story. Thank you for reading the first chapter! As you can see in the poster I created myself (I ) Hana is the girl on the left, while Gaeul is in the middle. I hope you liked the story, updates will be planned to be every other Wednesday or less. I want to write to the best of my abilities and let you enjoy my story. I had no intentions of offending any of the SHINee members in the story also. Expect to see you next week?