three; places

The Wedding Planner

C H A P T E R  T H R E E
places


 

Yoona entered the hotel restaurant she reserved for the day, reserving a private table to ensure the privacy of her clients. It's been a couple weeks since she met her new clients, Bae Joohyun and Lu Han, and she and Joohyun have since planned and exchanged many ideas during their brief meetings when Luhan, to put it simply, is just sitting next to his fiancee and approving whatever they were talking about.

It's as if he's a robot.

But of course Yoona had to let it go because she's just their wedding planner, not a behavior correction specialist if there is such a thing. She has no right to and she isn't planning to anyway. So she just planned with Joohyun and Luhan went along.

"Anything you'd like miss?" A waiter asked.

"Just a coffee please, thank you." Yoona said.

"Anything for your guests?"

"It'd be better if they other themselves, but bring a bottle of water." Yoona said and the waiter left, and Yoona patiently waited for Joohyun and Luhan. It was a few minutes until he saw Luhan, but no Joohyun, which confused Yoona.

I thought we planned that they'd be both present?

But no matter, one person present is better than standing me up.

Luhan found the seat Joohyun told him and found Yoona waiting. He walked to her and took the seat across her.

"Miss Yoona."

"Oh Sir Luhan you're here. If I may ask, where is your fiancee?"

"Uh... she had a prior appointment... she could not attend so I took it upon myself to help you plan. I'm sorry but I have no idea of your plans so–"

"No worries no worries I'll brief you first." Yoona cut him off with an assuring smile. "We actually have to go to some locations today for your reception and so it'll be quick. Pardon for the inconvenience but can we use your car for transportation?"

"N-No problem. Let's make this quick."

This side of Luhan today confused Yoona today. He's never been this... eager... to take part in plans, or maybe he's in a hurry because he has an appointment too and their wedding planning got in the way. Yoona briefed him on their plans so far and Luhan actually tried to change and added some to his liking, confusing Yoona even more.

Maybe he's on a roll today? Maybe they had last night that's why?

Im Yoona! Why are you thinking about things that are none of your business?

"Miss Yoona?"

"Yes? I'm so sorry this is so unprofessional." Yoona waved off her trance and smiled.

"You told me we have to go to some locations so let's go?" Luhan said and Yoona agreed. They finished the coffees they ordered and paid for them. Luhan opened the front passenger door and Yoona climbed in, Luhan following. 

"Where is the first place you have planned with Joohyun to be the reception?" Luhan asked.

"She told me of this place somewhere in Seoul and it's pretty deep in but she said it's beautiful. Don't worry I'll show you."

Luhan drove while Yoona told him the directions. There was silence as they drove to their first destination. Both did not attempt to talk to each other, and the only thing that made sounds was the car's sound system which blasted out music. 

 

"Here I am waiting
I'll have to leave soon, why am I holding on?
We knew this day would come,
We knew it all along
How did come so fast?

This is our last night but it's late
And I'm trying not to sleep
Cause I know, when I wake, I will have to slip away

And when the daylight comes I'll have to go
But tonight I'm gonna hold you so close
Cause in the daylight we'll be on our own
But tonight I need to hold you so close."

 

"I didn't know you were interested in Western music." Yoona blurted out.

"You aren't?"

"I listen occasionally, but English music is the only thing playing for the whole ride."

"Would you like to change it? You could plug your phone here." Luhan offered.

"No thank you, I like this song." Yoona said. It was not bad, it had a good beat and she could understand a few of the words. It sounded so happy but also... desperate? 

Luhan followed the directions Yoona told him but the further he drove the more the surroundings became... sketchy. The buildings slowly disappeared, replaced by dilapidated houses and narrow alleyways and people looking at them like scum. Luhan grew worried.

"Yoona-ssi, is this really where the reception place is? I don't think this is it." Luhan said.

"But this is what the guy over the phone said to me. I'm very sure of it." Yoona grew nervous and scared too. She was really sure that this was the address she was told, she even asked the man on the phone to repeat it thrice and had it copied and pasted onto a Word document in 1000pt font size and had it printed. She even asked the help of Sehun so she can memorize it.

"I... I- I'm really sorry Sir Lu but-"

". ." Luhan muttered continuously, looking at the gas meter. It... It was on the lower left, pointing on the red sign that means they've run out of gas.

"." Yoona muttered too and immediately covered . Damn Yoona. If you're going to swear, don't swear in front of your client. That's like a one-way ticket to client loss, and this is a big and major client.

"This is absolutely the worst time to be stranded in the middle of nowhere in Seoul right now." Luhan said. He turned off the engine and grabbed the keys, his wallet and a small bag while Yoona grabbed her bag and followed Luhan out of the car. 

Yoona was literally so nervous and scared right now. Not only could she lose a major client and one that would probably sue her, this man is an influential man and if he spread the word that he got lost because of his wedding planner she could never have another client ever again. Plus the fact that where they got lost looked sketchy and potentially dangerous.

"U-U-Um... Lu-Luhan-ssi I-I'm s-sorry ab-bout the t-t-rouble I'm c-causing right n-now." Yoona muttered so softly, stuttering on words because of her nervousness. Luhan looked back at her, her head low and beneath her curtain of hair she was trying to contain her tears by biting her lip. His eyes were narrowed, lines forming on his forehead.

"Do you realize what situation you put us in, Im Yoona-ssi?"Luhan asked in a low voice.

"N-N-No."

"Did you know that I could sue you for this? You would never get any client again."

"P-Please don't."

"Who said I will? Calm down, Yoona-ssi. I know this place." Luhan said and went back to walking. Yoona stopped biting her lips and felt the metallic taste of blood. She wiped her tears and hurried to Luhan who paused in front of a motel.

"Do you want to stay here?" Luhan asked.

"Wherever's safe. Is it safe for a person like you to stay here?"

"I co-own this. They should be bound to their contract not to disclose that I was here. Let's go in before somebody recognizes me here." Luhan ushered Yoona first in the motel.

"Room for two. Your best." Luhan immediately told the receptionist, who seemed stunned that beautiful and rich-looking couple who should be in five-stars hotels are in this little motel.

"Names please."

"Kim Han and Kim Yeona." He said, adopting fake names for both of them which Yoona was grateful for. The receptionist handed Luhan the keys and showed them directions to their room.

The elevator ride to the 4th floor was awkward. Yoona was kind of upset that Luhan intimated her with the threat of suing her but actually joking when he could see that she was so scared. She crossed her arms tightly over her chest and stood at a distance from Luhan. The latter meanwhile looked so nonchalant, like this has happened so many times before that he was even tapping his feet at a rhythm. Ding! The elevator doors opened at the they both walked out, Yoona a step behind Luhan and the latter unlocked the doors to their room.

It was simple, despite being the motel's best. A queen-sized bed, a three seater couch, a flatscreen TV, a simple dresser, one door leading to a bathroom and one to a small kitchen. Comfort and simplicity were too things that Yoona liked.

"This should do. I should improve the conditions of this motel chain." Luhan took off his jacket, loosened his tie and ed the top button of his shirt and adjusted his cuffs. He sat on the couch in front of the TV and began skimming the channels.Yoona sat down on the bed and removed her shoes. The atmosphere became awkward and silent.

"What was the address of the place, Yoona-ssi?" Luhan asked.

"It's supposed to be in Seoul. I memorized the address I swear to the point that it could the only thing in my daily vocabulary."

"Didn't you think that you should just write it down in a piece of paper?"

"Because I never had to. It was so easy and so recognizable. I don't know what went wrong." Yoona said softly, quite ashamed that she landed both of them into this situation. They're both technically strangers, both bound by a temporary business relationship.

And now they're sharing a room.

"It doesn't matter now. It's done, we're lost and out of gas. We might as well spend the night until I could get gas somewhere. I only knew this because a branch of this motel is here, but other than that I have no idea what and where is this."

"Okay. Are you tired? We could still use the time left to plan for where to go tomorrow if possible." Yoona said.

"Sure. If you want we could discuss it over dinner. Do you want to eat?"

"You said you didn't know this place."

"We could always order. Chicken? Chinese takeout? I'll pay." Luhan offered.

"Oh no I'll pay Luhan-ssi. Small compensation for landing us in this situation." Yoona said. She couldn't let Luhan pay for her food too when he already paid for her lodging for the night.

"No I'll pay. Planning the wedding is enough compensation for me. So, chicken or Chinese takeout?"

"Chinese with beer." Yoona smiled, remembering the times she shared chinese takeout with Sehun when they were still struggling with the business and Sehun with college. "Is it okay?"

"Okay." Luhan smiled, the first real smile Yoona saw for the first time. It was so beautiful, his lips curling upwards and making his eyes crinkle into crescents. He looked like a doll, unheard of for the stoic businessman.

Luhan called for delivery shortly and while waiting, they planned for a bit before steering into personal talk.

"Yoona-ssi, what made you choose this kind of profession? You're a smart woman. You could've been a doctor or a lawyer. Why a wedding planner?" Luhan suddenly asked in the middle of planning, which caught Yoona off-guard.

"Um... I- My family... can't afford the expenses for courses like law and medicine so I settled for Mass Communication and Business Management. I was offered a scholarship, but I can't manage both studying and being a working student. And I liked the weird professions. I like being away from the mold of taking Law and Medicine." Yoona said softly, not looking at the businessman in the eye.

"Is that so? You are doing nicely so far." Luhan said and Yoona narrowed her eyes. How did she do wonderfully if she got both of them lost?

"Is that an insult or a compliment?"

"It depends." Luhan shrugged. The phone connecting the room and the receptionist rang and Luhan answered it.

"Food's here. Can-Can you get it for me? I'm afraid I'll be recognized." Luhan asked and Yoona agreed. She went downstairs and paid for the food.

"Kim Yeona? But the caller was Kim Han." The delivery man said.

"He... He's m-my cousin!" Yoona said, hoping it would work. "He's watching the football match of his favorite team. Said he can't miss it so I'll be taking the food, yes?" Yoona paid in cash and carried the pretty big basket of food to the elevator and to their room.

"You didn't tell me you ordered a lot." Yoona said, heaving.

"Contrary to popular belief and mass media, I eat a lot." Luhan immediately got his food from the basket and ate facing the TV. Yoona did so as well, eating slower and observing Luhan.

"You got sauce on your cheek, Luhan-ssi." Yoona gave him a tissue and Luhan wiped the sauce absentmindedly.

"On the other cheek." She said but he was not paying attention, so she grabbed the tissue from him and wiped it herself. "Such a kid. I don't know how you're getting married."

"Yah Yoona-ssi." Luhan said in low, growling kind of voice which had Yoona's skin in goosebumps.

"W-What?"

"You got sauce too. Let me help." Luhan grabbed another tissue and wiped the sauce near the corner of Yoona's lips. "Eat slower next time."

"You're the one eating faster!"

"Because I got more food to eat."

"You don't want to share? What a kid."

"You didn't ask." And Yoona was shut up and both of them continued to eat their food, Luhan already on his second plate.

"Do you want this?" Luhan asked, rather shyly, pushing the ate to Yoona. Yoona shook her head.

"Are you on a diet? Women are all doing diets. I don't think you need to diet."

"No."

"Then take this. Come on, I've got two more plates to go." Luhan pushed the plate further and Yoona had no choice but to take it, muttering a soft 'thank you'.

An hour, three plates of chinese takeout and two bottles of beer later, Yoona and Luhan were inwardly debating where to sleep. Yoona was ready to sleep on the couch. She's used to sleeping on couches anyway and it'd be more comfortable. 

But the thing is, Luhan was prepared to sleep on the couch too, wanting to offer the bed to Yoona.

"Where do you want to sleep?" Luhan asked.

"I'll take the couch. You sleep on the bed." Yoona said, covering to stiffle a yawn.

"No, I'll take the couch. You need the bed more than I do."

"No no no you're more tired than I am. Go on, sleep on the bed." Yoona refused and sat on the couch.

"Where are the blankets?" As soon an Yoona said this she was smacked on the face by a fluffy white blanket.

"Sorry. Take it; I'll get my own." Luhan said sheepishly and took a blanket from one of the cabinets.

Yoona stood up and washed her face of the minimal makeup she wore. Once back from the bathroom, she fixed the pillows of the couch into one big pillow and lay down and covered herself snugly with the blanket, drifting to sleep immediately.

"Goodnight Yoona-ssi." Luhan said softly and closed the lights.

Somehow, Luhan's dreams were filled with Chinese takeaway and beer and the way an unknown female's hand carefully wiped away the tears in his eyes.

 

 


author's note;
 How long has it been? I'm so sorry for the huge delay I was supposed to update but because of continuous school activities (oh the stress) so I was behind my writing but I'm alive and I hope this is good enough and if it's not I hope I can make the next chapter better :) Oh and hello to the new subscribers :) 




science of deduction♦