ten; date night(s)

The Wedding Planner

C H A P T E R  T E N
date night(s)
 

Yoona started planning the media stunt as soon as she had the wedding planning schedule for the month finalized. She went into what Sehun called the 'hyper Yoona mode' because whenever Yoona went into this she became a manic person, multitasking like she was made to do so since she was still in her mother's womb, became really jumpy and would shout at the smallest of mistakes. Yoona called it the 'stress working Yoona mode', where she poured every amount of stress she was feeling into her work and that turned her into an extreme perfectionist.

She started contacting freelance journalists and photographers working in the entertainment scene and were frequently linked to tabloids and requested that they meet in private so she could discuss to them about what they'll do, as well as blood-binding promises that nobody will know of it until the day they'll launch the plan and payment among others. It did not take much convincing on Yoona's part because she knew most of them, especially journalists, and thankfully they were free by the time "Operation Date Night" will happen.

Sehun helped her a lot, just as he promised. He talked to most of the photographers since a lot of his friends are part of the industry, and with the help of the social butterfly Zitao, who has good connections, he got the numbers of freelance photographers who were involved with tabloids that were higher up in the chain, ones with a bigger readership. His power to convince and to charm people to do things his way were undeniably better than Yoona's, and since photographers are going to be more important,  Yoona let him handle the part.

After finalizing with each journalist and photographer, Yoona set the dreaded meeting of her and Luhan and Joohyun, where she will explain to them what they have to do in order for the stunt to work. After all, what will the photographers take a picture of? Both of them are required to attend, so Yoona had no qualms about that, but it still made her uneasy. Nevertheless, all of them will have to eat their pride and work together so that nothing will go wrong.

"How can you come up with a plan at such a short time?" Sehun asked with amusement, dialing the number of another freelance photographer. 

"I want this done and over with. This takes a span of around two to four months, so it's better if I start now so I can organize actual dates and final appointments." Yoona said, sighing at the amount of paperwork and post-its on her desk.

"I forgot there is a three-week grace period every time we release confirming news. I wonder where you found the guts to accept this."

"There's a grace period of about a month and a half between releasing news confirming that they are engaged and releasing rumors and wedding invitations. And I didn't find any, my mouth just blurted out 'yes'." Sehun went back to his phone call and Yoona to her plans, adding a couple more details so that everything will be--

"Perfect." Yoona beamed.

 

 

 

Yoona pushed open the door of the café where she, one journalist and two photographers agreed to meet. She immediately recognized them apart from the hustle and bustle of workers trying to get their coffee and praying they won't get stuck in rush hour, students huddled in the corners trying to make up for lost minutes of studying, or the people who came for coffee and stayed for coffee. All three were wearing Ray-Ban sunglasses and the latest model of phones in their hands, a venti caffe latte or a steaming mug of hot chocolate on the other. They all stood up to greet and shake hands.

"Ms. Im, a pleasure to meet you." One photographer, who kindly took off his sunglasses and revealed brown doe eyes, shook her hand firmly. His midnight black hair, a contrast against his milky white skin, was styled to make it look like it fell naturally, and he stood shorter than the other two. "Yang Yoseob."

"Yoona-ssi! How's everything going? So you only call me when you need me huh?" Yoona blushed at what the second male said. Now this one she knew, by his suede coat in navy blue--not much of a contrast to the others who wore theirs black but the color was a different shade enough to be named--and by his dyed dirty blonde hair. 

"Doojoon-ssi, it's been too long." Yoona greeted Doojoon politely and shook hands with her old-time friend. They were under the same roof of their dorm building, and while Yoona was studying for Business Management, Doojoon went for a major in Journalism and a minor in Photography, so they were on the opposite sides of the campus. Nevertheless, they saw each other frequently, exchanging greetings and finally meeting and occasionally bonding for work when Yoona recommended him as a photographer for a client.

So that leaves the last one, who must be the journalist. He was a quiet and somber one, greeting Yoona with a bow and a handshake which made him the junior among Yoseob and Doojoon, as well as "Son Dongwoon-imnida" in his baritone voice. If he wasn't a journalist, Yoona would've thought he was part of an orchestra. Yoona smiled in return, because she had no other way to greet the journalist without making it awkward. They all sat down to begin the discussion.

"Thank you all for coming. This is really important for me and the people I'm doing this for, and accepting would be a really great help. First and foremost, I want all of this information undisclosed to anybody else and only to the three of you. You are going to work with a very high profile client of mine, so it's understandable that he'd want all of this kept under wraps."

"That is understood Ms. Im., but we really need a gist of the plan you have and what you require us to do, then later on we'll discuss payment." Yoseob said and the two nodded in agreement, and Yoona did so too.

"Of course. Now, onto the plan."

 

 

 

Thankfully, all photographers and journalists agreed with their plan, with a little touch of convincing on both Yoona and Sehun's part if any of them, particularly the ones they thought were influencial. Meetings with Sehun went effortless, he said, and all of this made Yoona ecstatic by the end of the day.

"Well that didn't go so bad, did it? I told you we can handle this." Sehun said and received a high-five from Yoona, the happiest she's been in a long time since planning the wedding.

"But that doesn't mean we have to slack. We need to approach the following steps of the plan with the same optimism and confidence we had today." Yoona said firmly, but one detail made her confidence level lower: Will Luhan agree?

As though reading Yoona's mind, Sehun said, "Don't worry so much about whether Luhan's going to agree or not. He's got to agree if he wants make things easier."

Yoona nodded, "Considering their situation they have no choice but to... it up, I guess."

 

 

"What?" Luhan and Joohyun said in chorus, indignation barely hidden in their voices. Sehun tried very hard not to roll his eyes or laugh at their expressions.

"Both of you will go on a date in public, act very in love and be in cloud nine with each other. This will dispel any rumor saying that you've broken up and will make the people believe that the love is still fresh, as well as clear the image of the both of you cheating on each other. Joohyun will wear an engagement ring, and you've got to find ways to make it as obvious as possible. Photographers are going to be stationed around the area dressed in casual clothing or blending in with the crowd dressed as civilians, so you've got to keep your acting in shape, or people will pick up traces and become suspicious." Yoona patiently explained for the second time.

"I should've never agreed with father in the first place." Luhan muttered under his breath and rubbed his temples, a permanent crease on his forehead, and Yoona actually felt sorry for him until she remembered that meeting with Mr. Lu.

"When will this... date happen?" Joohyun asked, stressing on that one word that made the plan worse.

"Two days from now." Yoona said almost cheerily, and Joohyun narrowed her eyes, thinking that the former actually found happiness in seeing her suffer like this.

"I'm guessing the day after, articles of this date wil be on front covers?" Luhan said acidly.

"Yes." Yoona replied. "At least put some spice to your date, so it'll be interesting to read. The plan relies on how well the both of you will act as a couple. This marks your first public appearance as one, so good luck."

 

 

 

On the morning of their 'date', Luhan was actually well-prepared of how things will go and even had a script in mind. He and Joohyun sat on the opposite sides of the table, across from each other, so he decided to make his voice slighly louder so she can hear.

"Wear something nice." He said, and Joohyun's eyes looked up to him in an expression of confusion. Is this actually happening?

"I beg your pardon?"

"Wear something nice, you know, for our date today." Luhan shrugged so casually, too casually for Joohyun's taste and the latter was reminded of the date they have to go to today as part of the media stunt. Joohyun nodded just as casually in reply.

"I'll pick you up at 6." Luhan finished the rest of his breakfast and left for work, leaving Joohyun with no appetite and a sinking feeling in her stomach that Luhan had forgotten to kiss her goodbye, or that she was expecting Luhan to kiss her goodbye.

Joohyun was too distracted for the rest of the day that she forgot about time and only remembered about their date at five, when she scrambled out of bed and opened her closet door, revealing an array of dresses ready for her to wear.

A black Saint Laurent, a midnight blue Dior, a Lanvin in blush pink with lace, an emerald green Balmain encrusted with diamonds, a classic white Ralph Lauren that fell in the perfect length above her knees. She crossed out all the reds from the list because they were reserved for Wooyoung. She chose the black dress and coupled it with shoes and a clutch of the same color with gold accents. She finished it off with a cat eye and pink lips, applying the lipstick just as she heard the door open and saw Luhan enter from the mirror.

For the first time, Luhan actually smiled, revealing a hidden dimple, and leaned on the doorframe and waited for Joohyun to finish. It made her uncomfortable, as the only person to do that was Wooyoung. Luhan's figure took the exact same posture as Wooyoung did and even had the same manerisms, like looking at his watch or looking at her intently.

What is he trying to do?

Joohyun put the cap of the lipstick back and set it down on her vanity table and picked up her clutch. Luhan stood straight and brushed something away from his clothes. He wore a simple white dress shirt and black trousers, the sleeves rolled up, revealing well-toned arms and the top button ed to give it a casual flare so he didn't look too rigid.

"Well, don't we look monochromatic today. Ready to go?" Luhan offered his arm and Joohyun took it hesitantly. Once out of the door and out of the confines of the gates and walls of their mansion, Luhan opened the pasenger door for her and she stepped in. He sat in the driver's seat and drove to their destination, a five star restaurant smack down in the middle of one of the busy districts of Seoul just a few minutes away.

While waiting for the green light, Joohyun was taken aback by surprise when Luhan held her hand in his, his warmth seeping to her cold hands. Joohyun felt a rush of different and very confusing emotions in her head, ones of vexation and perplexity and even comfort.

"Luhan, what are you trying to do?" Joohyun asked.

"Trying to make this look like an actual date. There aren't many opportunities like this, don't you think?" Luhan said.

"No, what are you really trying to do?" Joohyun asked, more upfront about it. She knew he was lying, judging by the situation and Luhan's seemingly saccharine tone. Everything seemed too suspicious, too real to be happening to her.

"Look, I'm just holding your hand. It's cold outside and you didn't bring anything to cover you up." Luhan said. Joohyun blushed in embarrassment and thought she was overreacting to a simple gesture. It was indeed cold and she really didn't bring anything to cover her exposed shoulders and arms. She decided not to continue questioning his motives as he sounded defensive about it, and actually found his gesture comforting.

Just as Joohyun was getting used of the warmth around her hand, she felt a gush of wind that signalled that the car was moving and both of Luhan's hands were on the steeing wheel, and she nearly groaned at the missing heat. She caught sight of the restaurant and recognized paparazzi littering the area.

Of course. I forgot this was a set-up.

Luhan parked not far from the restaurant and people crowded around the car, flashes from cameras and high-pitched voices calling for their names. He managed to open the door and Joohyun stepped out, covering her eyes from the bright light. Luhan wrapped an arm around her waist to keep her steady, pulling her closer, and Joohyun had to bite her lip to keep a yelp of surprise to herself.

"Table 2, by the windows, it should be under the name 'Lu Han'." Luhan told the maître d' who gladly showed them their table. A waiter came shortly, gave them the menu and poured them each a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.

"Most of the cameras seem to be on this side." Luhan said, inconspicuously looking out of the window. 

"What happened outside was too much, to be honest." Joohyun remarked.

"Oh really? I was planning to sneak in a kiss later when we leave, but I guess that's now out of the question." Luhan smirked.

"Don't you dare, Lu Han." Joohyun snapped.

"Oh I wouldn't, Joohyun." Luhan winked. Another waiter came and asked their order, to which Luhan replied with lemon butter chicken and Joohyun with garlic parmesan risotto.

While waiting for their food, Luhan asked, "How did you meet Wooyoung?"

"I'd rather not grace that question with a reply." Joohyun said curtly, taking a sip of the wine and taking advantage of the size of the glass to hide her expression.

"Come on. I can't think of any other subject."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Please?" Luhan pleaded with a pout, and Joohyun breathed out a sigh.

"A few years ago, when he was still a budding businessman, still climbing up the ranks, and I was this spoiled little heiress who looked down upon people like him. Yet when I saw him, laughing at something somebody said, all of a sudden my heart was fluttering and I could feel sweat forming, like I was a child who had a crush."

"Why did you go for him then, if you looked down on people like him?" Luhan asked.

"I grew up thinking that they were scammers, little pests that cling onto people like us and feed off of our money. But he wasn't like that. He's an honest man in this kind of world and puts his honor on the line if he's wrongly accused. I don't know how I got so lucky, or how I deserve a man like him."

"How long have you been together?"

"Three years now."

"'Now'?" Luhan raised an eyebrow.

"Of course. What did you think?" Joohyun narowed her eyes ever so slightly.

"Nothing." Luhan said as their orders came, a female waitress that winked at Luhan setting their plates down on the table.

"How is he treating you?"

"Better than you do." Joohyun said almost immediately and Luhan snorted.

"Touché." 

They ate in silence, with occasional glances at each other. Joohyun felt like it there were no cameras recording their every movement and that Luhan actually took her out on a date, but those kind of thoughts were all shaken off every time she sees a flash from her peripheral vision.

The food was delicious, and with the wine it was like the perfect combination to send a person into cloud nine. Desert came in the form of chocolate lava cake shared between the two of them. It was sweet with slight hints of bitter and rich in flavor without overpowering anything. Dark chocolate mixed with the fruity tang of wine was a good combination, and Joohyun had to commend Luhan for his good sense. Speaking of, Luhan put a small black velvet box on the table and pushed it to Joohyun's direction.

"What's this?" 

Luhan leaned nearer to Joohyun, going over the table, and whispered, "I noticed you weren't wearing a ring today. It's lucky I bought one to pretend it'll be our engagement ring."

"O-Oh." Joohyun looked down at her fingers and saw that she wasn't really wearing one. Why are you so distracted? "T-Thank you. I almost blew the cover." Joohyun smiled as Luhan opened the box and slid the gold band with diamonds on her ring finger.

"I couldn't find something more suitable. Luckily it went with your whole outfit."

"It's really beautiful though. Where'd you buy it?" Joohyun looked at ring, admiring it at different angles. It fulfilled the function of being a normal, expensive ring and was extravagant enough to be an engagement one. Diamonds were arranged in a row, increasing in size until it reached the center diamond, a gorgeous pear cut, then decreasing in size to a total of 9 diamonds.

"Just somewhere, right before I picked you up. You can keep it if you want."

"You know what, you're not so bad." Joohyun said with sincerity.

Luhan was surprised at her statement. He knew all this time that he was treating her with coldness to the point that he even put her on lockdown (he called house security to cancel it, but he's never going to admit to that), and she struck him as a woman whose other people's first impressions lasted on her. He knew that he was doing this out of obligation and out of a script formed groggily before he slept last night, so it surprised him that she bought his acting as sincere and genuine.

 "This is a different kind of Luhan you're seeing. Don't get used to it."

"I know." Joohyun said, a hint of bitterness in her voice which made Luhan frown inside.

Napkins were dabbed on their lips, bills were paid, and Luhan and Joohyun stepped out of the restaurant trying to make the awkward air disappear between them. Cameras were turned to them once again and they flashed forced smiles that somehow looked natural in pictures until they reached the confines of their car.

The drive back home was silent and Luhan didn't attempt to make any moves, until they reached the doors of their separate bedrooms and Luhan called her name in the dark.

"Joohyun."

"Hmm?" 

Luhan made a move closer to Joohyun, who was intimidated by the lack of space between them until Luhan brought it to a close by pressing a slight kiss on her forehead.

"Good night."

Joohyun spent the night sleepless and even a few tears were shed, the day's events bringing her too much nostalgia and memories of her and Wooyoung before any of this mess of an arranged marriage happened, during the days when she was still happy and naïve.

 

 

 

[TRENDING] Lu Han and Bae Joohyun spotted on their first
public appearance since relationship announcement.

[+26,493 / -5,382] They look like the textbook example of the perfect couple: beautiful, handsome, rich, young etc. etc. Honestly, get married already!

[+25,817 / -4,028] Joohyun came in without anything in her hand except a clutch and came out with this shining Cartier ring. Where did that come from? I sense something about this.

[+23,104 / -3,809] They looked so in love with each other. Even little gestures, such as Luhan's arm around Joohyun's waist or just a lingering gaze, can tell so much more than words. It's obvious all the infidelity rumors were done out of spite for the couple.

 

 

Are Lu Han and Bae Joohyun engaged? Bae Joohyun spotted with an engagement
ring after a date with boyfriend Lu Han.

[+32, 391 / -7,649] It's definitely an engagement ring. It's got to be! The craftsmanship and the quality of those diamonds are unmistakable, and the way Joohyun literally glowed as they left the restaurant and Luhan's extra protective hold around her. I don't know how anybody can twist this into anything else. Congratulations in advance of the actual confirmation; Lord knows I'll be crying because we just lost one of the most handsome bachelors in Korea.

[+31,923 / -6,204] This news comes not long after the cheating scandal. This just shows that the scandal was pure bull and they're proving people wrong. Stay strong, and congratulations on the engagement if this is true.

[+29,562 / -8,391] Engaged? They've been together for barely a year. Young people these days, trying to rush marriage in a whim and thinking it's a fairytale but ending up filing for divorce anyway. 

 

 

 


author's note;
So I tried to make the date as 'romantic' as possible without deviating from the main point of why their date happened, which is that it's a set-up and part of the plan Yoona thought for their media stunt. Do you think Luhan went too far? What do you think of Joohyun's reactions? This is actually a fast update compared to the pace of previous ones, in just a week! Maybe I should update like this more often. Read, comment, upvote and enjoy! Comments and upvotes are very much appreciated :D



science of deduction♦