one; agreement

The Wedding Planner

C H A P T E R  O N E
agreement


 

Luhan sat alone on one of the park benches near the Han River. Thoughts of what his father told him swam in his mind, not wanting to escape.

 

 

"You are an inheritor, Luhan." Mr. Lu said.

"So what? Yes, I am an inheritor. Once you die or step down, I take over and preside over the business. I've taken all classes related to running an empire like ours and I've graduated all of them with honors. What else do you want me to do before wasting away my life?"

"Marry someone." Luhan's father said simply.

"Marry someone? Don't women take my attention away from ruling over?" Luhan countered. He didn't want to get married. If ever he did, he's only there for the money.

"You heard me Luhan. You have to marry someone."

Luhann stood up from his seat, "I won't. You can't make me comply."

Mr. Lu scoffed at the actions and words of his son, "I can't make you comply? Your name off the family registry and inheritance cut off. Can that make you comply?" Mr. Lu said smugly.

"Are you threatening me?" Anger flashed in Luhan's brown eyes.

"What if I am? You need to get married, and if threats are the only thing that can make you comply, then so be it."

 

 

Luhan sat there, waiting for the minutes to tick by. He has to get married, or everything he worked hard for would be for nothing.

He seethed whenever he saw young lovers walk arm in arm or their hand entertwined with each other, close like conjoined twins. Some even had the audacity to kiss in such a public place.

Unsophistication is expected for some women, but even men do not have class.

He did not know many women; the few women in his life are significant: family, relatives, sunbaes or hoobaes he got close to. He's tried dating, he's just awkward and the girl will most likely do the first move to break it up.

Then a name popped in his mind. Someone who could help him. He speed-dialed the number of his only female friend Tiffany.

"Tiffany noona? Where are you?"

"At home. Why?"

"Do you have spare time? Can you go to the Han River? I need some... advice."

"All right. Where are you exactly?" Tiffany agreed.

"Near the place where we used to ride our bicycles together." Luhan said.

"15 minutes." So Luhan waited, tolerating the sight of more lovers. Not long, she saw Tiffany walking and he waved his arms to signal he was there. Tiffany saw and sat next to him.

"So Luhan, you needed some advice." Tiffany started.

"Yes, I do." Luhan refrained from looking at her directly.

"What is it about? Look at me." Tiffany asked.

"Father asked me to marry and I don't know what to do. I am not close with any females except for you, and I know you would not accept nor would I ask you."

"I see. Do you not want to marry?"

"I don't, but I also don't want to see what I worked hard for be wasted."

"What would be the consequences if you did not marry?"

"My name erased from the family registry, no inheritance and no company to inherit."

Tiffany's eyes widened as though a lightbulb lit up in her head, "I know the perfect person for you to marry."

"Noona..." Luhan's eyes narrowed, already doubting whatever plan Tiffany has concocted. It never went good.

"No, Luhan, it's just perfect. Have I introduced you to my friend Bae Joohyun? You see, she's also looking for someone to marry."

"No, you haven't introduced me to a Bae Joohyun, whoever she is. However desperate I look like, noona, I don't want to get married to a person I haven't met." Luhan said indignantly.

"Stupid; of course you have to meet her before you get married. I'll contact her now."

"B-But I haven't said yes!"

"Well, do you agree? Marrying her will not only ally both you and her family's companies together, but once you get married most of the money will be yours. So, is it a deal?" Tiffany held her phone, poised to dial Joohyun's number.

"Uh... y-yes? But I have to see her first. I can't just marry somebody you suggest. When can we meet?"

"Don't get too excited; I don't even know what her reaction will be." She dialled Joohyun's number and talked to her for a couple of minutes and Tiffany disconnected the call, looking victorious.

"I-I see she has approved." Luhan said. He shrank in his position; his future was already looking bleak as it is, another responsibility put on his shoulders was enough to send him to think dark thoughts.

"She has. Meet her tomorrow at the Westin Chosun hotel."

Luhan sighed, "Noona, thank you." He said quietly.

Tiffany pat the younger's back gently, "Spare me the pleasantries and tell me quickly about how your meeting went, okay? You trust your noona, don't you?"

"Okay." They said their goodbyes and parted ways.

 


 

 

Luhan waited for Bae Joohyun at the hotel reception tensely.

It was unlike of him to be nervous. He met every business proposal with ease and confidence, every company-related problem like it was cake.

But then again, this is not a business proposal nor is it company-related.

He checked his watch again. The face read 9:15am. He was running out of time, and patience. Then he saw her and what he assumed as her parents enter the hotel and he stood up. He bowed respectfully and they shook hands.

"Mr. Luhan, isn't it? I'm Bae Hyung-jook, my wife Mi-young and my daughter, Bae Joohyun." Mr. Bae introduced.

"Let us continue our business inside, shall we?" Luhan booked a suite while waiting so he lead them to it. He invited them to go inside and sit.

Bae Joohyun tried to take shy looks at Luhan. She has never met Luhan, and the only exposure she has of him are his interviews and magazine photoshoots. It's definitely different looking at somebody in person.

Yes, photoshoots. Inheritors, while waiting for the Chairman or Chairwoman of the company they will inherit to die, can surely participate in something as trivial as photoshoots. But Luhan just did them out of boredom.

He's been dubbed 'The Most Eligible Bachelor', 'Hottest Inheritor' and several more that Luhan did not bother to count for the past consecutive years.

"Mr. Bae, let us get this over with quickly." Luhan said in his business voice.

"Very well. You and my daughter, Bae Joohyun will be married and our - or should I say my and your father's - companies will ally together. The marriage will include contracts and everything, wills and custodies and so on and so forth. I will give you both a time to get to know each other and I will be lenient with both of you and allow you to plan the wedding yourselves."

"I understand. Cost of the wedding will be divided equally between both parties."

"You make it sound like I don't pay, Luhan." Mr. Bae chuckled.

"I remember you got fined a record of 23 billion won for tax evation, a sum no one has surpassed yet. Of course I can make it sound like you don't pay." Luhan said back. "I want nothing of this released to the media until it is certain. Let them make assumptions that me and Joohyun are dating, but under no circumstances should it leak that we are getting married."

"All right. Is everything settled then? Should I leave Joohyun with you? You can start your courtship now." Mr. Bae said.

"Gladly." Mr. and Mrs. Bae left and Joohyun was left with Luhan in the hotel suite.

"Thank the gods. So, I'm getting married to you. Lu Han, inheritor of one of the biggest companies of South Korea. Not to mention the most eligible bachelor according to magazines for the past years. I should consider myself lucky." Joohyun sat comfortably on the couch, a significant change since her parents left.

"You should not. I'm not going to be the typical fairytale husband you girls dream of."

"But I am not like other girls who dream of typical fairytale husbands. I dream of freedom. Will I get my freedom if I marry you?"

"Maybe you will."

 

 


author's note;
 Waaaa! After all this time I updated! Got to thank peachbubbletea for motivating me lol.
 Is it nice? I think it's a bit different from how I typically write, given that Luhan and Yoona are people whose personalities I am unfamiliar with.  Plase subscribe and give this upvotes and comments :D




science of deduction♦