Hae-pi Nyu Yerr's!

The Reality You Wanted

A/N That's what it sounds like when Onew tries to say it in English, in my opinion. Just saying. Not being racist. I love Onew. And anyone learning English. English is hard for a lot of people because it's stupid. And I can say that since I'm American XD


That night, Taemin walked you home. It was strange; being back in Korea after coming home for what seemed to last only a few minutes. And he had kissed you for the second time...should you be taking this differently? Sure, you were good friends, but you had always known that you liked him a little more than that. But he was oblivious and naive, and you didn't want to risk what you already had. 

There were two more days until New Year's. It wasn't Lunar New Year, just regular old January 1st New Year's. The first one away from home, and the first one in a different country. It was...strange.

You wondered what people did since they celebrated Lunar New Year. Maybe you'd go to a music show. Special stages were your favorite; collaborations and extra fancy sets were only the beginning. You remember staying up late just so you could catch a crappy live stream, then eagerly await the HD version to pop up on the internet. Seeing it in real life was going to be spectacular.

"Let's eat steak!" You stared at him. It was, like, two in the morning or something. 

"Are you crazy?" You proceeded to poke him in the head, then laid the back of your hands on his cheeks searching for any sign of a fever. "I don't think we can get steak...or anything else, really...at this time of night. No, morning. I think."

You wondered if you changed the timezone on your phone. Your tiredness was making you a little out of it.

"B-but...steak is so good..." Taemin rubbed his stomach and stared into the distance, probably dreaming of the meat he wouldn't get to consume very soon. "That place is open!"

He pointed at a building across the street. It was covered in brightly lit signs for noraebang, photobooths, and random little shops. Then you saw it; gleaming like a beacon of heavenly light: steakhouse. It made your stomach grumble and you realized just how hungry you were.

"Ahh..." You started to walk towards it, not really paying attention and allowing your stomach to guide you the rest of the way. Your suitcase rolled behind you, making clobbering noises across the asphalt.

"____! Watch out!" You felt someone grab your arm and yank you back, but a deafening screech distracted you. You turned to see a blinding light. Taemin? ...TAEMIN? You couldn't cry out. Your voice had betrayed you. You collapsed at his side, ignoring all the yells and sounds of approaching sirens. This was all your fault. I'm so stupid. So, so stupid.

A tear rolled down your cheek. You finally looked at him; his arm wasn't supposed to bend that way. His eyes weren't supposed to be closed. He wasn't supposed to be on the ground, scratched up and bloody. He should be sitting at a table across from you, smiling, eating steak. He should be ok, right?

"Taemin..." You barely managed a low whisper as the paramedics carried him into the ambulence. Your legs were dead weight beneath you; they refused to follow the man beckoning you onboard. He sighed and pulled you up, hoisting you onto a seat in the back of the ambulence. You heard the faint beeps of medical equipment, but could only focus on the slight rising and falling of Taemin's chest. Everything was a blur; you didn't even notice the waiting room magically materialize around you. 


"Miss? I'm sorry; I need to get some information from you. Are you alright? Miss?" A kind, yet distant looking nurse, placed a gentle arm on your shoulder. You nodded, but didn't know what for. Time was passing by at a painfully slow pace. "Miss?"

You finally looked at her. She held out her hand and you took it, confused. You mindlessly followed her down a sterile white hallway into a sterile white room. There was a divider, hanging as if trying to conceal a deep, dark secret. The window revealed a gray sky, and snow quietly fell beyond it. You were lead to a chair, seated, and questioned by the nurse again.

"Can you at least tell me his name? Yours?"

"Taemin." You didn't say anything but that; it was too precious of a name to leave unspoken. Too precious of a human being to overlook. Too precious of a friend to be just a friend. Finally, you spoke again, the guilt dripping from every word. "This is all my fault."

"Dear, everyone says that. It's never anyone's fault." You shook your head and stared ahead. Taemin was asleep, calm and somewhere far away. His arm in a sling across his breathing torso. 

"Is he..."

"I believe so...but he was hit pretty hard. The doctor's are waiting until he wakes up to do more tests. Can I get you something? Hot chocolate?" 

No. He had to wake up. He couldn't stay asleep. He couldn't leave you here. The nurse sighed at you, rubbing your shoulder in an awkward attempt at comforting. She left the room, silently closing the door. You continued to stare, not wanted to miss the moment he opened his eyes. 

Yet, you couldn't help but wonder: where was everyone else? His parents? SHINee? Manager? Anyone?

"Please..." You gently walked towards his bed, as if any loud noise would ruin any chance at a perfect recovery. "Taemin, please wake up. I...need you..."

Beep. Beep.

"Taemin?"

Beep. Beep.

"...Oppa?"

You felt the hysteria building up inside of you. You were going to crack. How could you let this happen?! You kneeled next to the bed, laying your head  at his side and grabbing hold of his good hand, finally allowing yourself to sob. "You idiot!"


You awoke when you felt the emptiness of your hand. Confused, you looked up to see Taemin blankly staring at you. You had no words. He was...awake. "Taemin?"

"Who...who are you?"